This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38 Minutes, Begone! Spoilers

Now that the AET have the ZPM, I bet they can extend the 38 window for incomming and outgoing wormholes.

Incomming wormholes at least, since stargates can draw power from off-world sources. I bet that was the purpose of the "weapon" Anubis used in Redemption. That would mean that the original world with Anubis's "weapon" was a santuary world so that others could retreat while keeping the wormhole open. Also, since the incomming stargate was using power from the "weapon," there would be no explosion.

For outgoing wormholes, I bet there is a simular mechanism.

Yeah opening wormholes up for a long time would just be wasting power
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Its still not good for a wormhole to be open for that long. imho of course. Plus, maintaining the wormhole for too long would be a major drain on power.
      Und was ich sar war Menschlichkeit...

Und was ich sar war Dummheit
      Menschlicher Neigung entsprechend
      Tiersches Verhalten

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay,
      Vicious

Comment

but isn't the stargate on a different power source than regular operations?
        Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderic
          but isn't the stargate on a different power source than regular operations?
          I think the stargate uses the dhd for power, but then again i could be wrong
          The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Was it a power issue that determined the 38-minute window? I thought Carter explained it as 38 minutes' being the absolute longest a wormhole could remain stable before collapsing or something. Although I'll admit, it's been a long time since I saw the episode where the 38-minute period was explained.
            Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
            Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
            Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
            Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
              Was it a power issue that determined the 38-minute window? I thought Carter explained it as 38 minutes' being the absolute longest a wormhole could remain stable before collapsing or something. Although I'll admit, it's been a long time since I saw the episode where the 38-minute period was explained.
              I believe you're right - although Anubis found that Ancient weapon that beat the 38 minute deadline.

Comment

More evidence that it's not an energy issue, then.
                Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

the ancient weapon anubis used was just that...an ancient weapon. the 38 minute limit was due to power for the most part (also evadent in the episode where hammond was blackmailed and the new general decided it was a good idea to blow up a naquada enhanced nuke and then it stayed open for an extra few seconds but it still quit a few moments later). i believe the concept that was established was no matter what you did a worm hole destabilized after 38ish minutes. the ancient weapon probably had some way to "fix" the wormhole so that it stayed stable as long as they wanted it.

Comment

Working...
                  X