Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I read too much into things - whats with Season Two?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I read too much into things - whats with Season Two?

As one who suffered through four years of Enterprise hoping TPTB's would get some sense I tend to be very skeptical of "reworking" a series. SG1 - that's understandable - it was rework or die. But even at the end of last season I was concerned about all the "changes" for SGA season two. Fortunately some weren't as bad as I thought (Weir & Sheppard are still in charge) and I wholeheartedly agree Beckett should be a regular cast member. Still feel bad about Ford.

Here's my ENT paranoia - what's with the pushing the Ronan character. I mean all the ads for this weeks ep show Sheppard and Dex - you'd think it was only about them - although I read somewhere there might be something about McKay and some "kiss" you'd never know it from the ads. Anyway, I know UPN tried to push certain characters to appeal to a certain demographic -

So, what demographic are TPTB trying to appeal to with Dex? I would think if they were trying to attract the oh so sought after 18-49 males they'd have added a female catsuit character like ENT did - that's why it makes no sense to me? (one reason I prefer Stargate over Star Trek - no catsuits)

TPTB stated in an interview that Sheppard's team lacked a certain dangerousness

Sheppard would try and charm his way out of a situation
    Teyla would try and talk her wayout and if that failed beat someone down
    Rodney would panick and eventually get around to being heroic
    Ford would well...

Anyway when Ford was revamped and sent off on his own story arc, TPTB introduced a new character Dex who IS intimidating and aggressive and would bring a new angle/way of doing things to dangerous situations
    sigpic

Comment

I don't get the Duet trailer either. Everything I've heard about this ep is that this ep is susposed to be the funniest Atlantis ep ever, but you wouldn't guess it from the trailer. I thought the McKay "kissing bandit" story was the A story and the Ronan "new guy finding his way" was the B story, but you would never guess it from the trailer at the end of the Runner.
      Don't feel sorry for me. I started out poor, and I worked my way up to outcast.

Comment

Originally posted by GeekPride
        I don't get the Duet trailer either. Everything I've heard about this ep is that this ep is susposed to be the funniest Atlantis ep ever, but you wouldn't guess it from the trailer. I thought the McKay "kissing bandit" story was the A story and the Ronan "new guy finding his way" was the B story, but you would never guess it from the trailer at the end of the Runner.
        The end of 'Runner' was left with an open question about Ronon, so it makes sense to advertise the resolution of that. Whether that is the episode's A- or B-plot does remain to be seen.

a time to mourn

Comment

More and more, I can't help thinking that spoilers are a double-edged sword (I apologize for my overuse of this term lately...) TPTB throw out bits of information to tease and entice us and with all this piecemeal information we are meant to piece together what an episode or what a season entails... And of course, being scifi fans what do we do?... We speculate... I don't know about anyone else... but after a while I get very confused... I don't know what's speculation and what's really supposed to be happening.

So now, I wait and reserve my judgements till I've seen an episode... because 70% of the time, an episode never turns out to be what I expect it to be from reading spoilers or seeing teasers...

I was cautiously optimistic about the Ronon Dex (less so perhaps) and Ford "exchange" despite of inital negative reaction. But I also know that TPTB will do all they can to fuel as much reaction as they can from fans to arouse curiosity. And I think the old adage for them applies... there's no such thing as bad publicity.
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Cast changes have never bothered me. I think a certain amount of change is necessary if a show is to persist and continue to be interesting. The fact that the Ford character, for all of RSF's talent, was going absolutely nowhere after a full season meant that something needed to be done in this season. TPTB did something and it turned out to be a great boon for the character. But he leaves a void on the team. So what better to fill that void with than basically a complete 180 from what his character was all about? Now, instead of Sheppard, Teyla, McKay, and the quiet, naive, good-natured Ford, we have the gravelly-voiced, jaded, aggressive Dex. I don't think it was really a play at gaining more viewers from a particular demographic; I think it was a play to liven up the status quo and hopefully improve the show as a whole with the new dynamic.
            Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
            Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
            Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
            Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
              So now, I wait and reserve my judgements till I've seen an episode... because 70% of the time, an episode never turns out to be what I expect it to be from reading spoilers or seeing teasers...

...And I think the old adage for them applies... there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Yes, this.

emphasis mine

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                More and more, I can't help thinking that spoilers are a double-edged sword (I apologize for my overuse of this term lately...) TPTB throw out bits of information to tease and entice us and with all this piecemeal information we are meant to piece together what an episode or what a season entails... And of course, being scifi fans what do we do?... We speculate... I don't know about anyone else... but after a while I get very confused... I don't know what's speculation and what's really supposed to be happening.

I was cautiously optimistic about the Ronon Dex (less so perhaps) and Ford "exchange" despite of inital negative reaction. But I also know that TPTB will do all they can to fuel as much reaction as they can from fans to arouse curiosity. And I think the old adage for them applies... there's no such thing as bad publicity.

There's also the fun of the wind up factor when over-zealous fans complain that an episode that hasn't yet been shown doesn't seem to be about what they think it's about. I bet TPTB enjoy sitting back and watching the hysterics.

Comment

Changing the characters around doesn't bother me, it's how well written they are that makes the difference. So far this season seems ok, as long as the bond between the main characters stays the same it should be fine.
                  I think Ronon seems a good character and they will put him on the screens quite a lot for a couple of episodes, so we can learn more about him.

Comment

Cast changes are inevitable - but "pushing" a character to the exclusion of others bothers me. And they totally changed the previews they were showing for this upcoming Friday nights (previously much publicized) ep - which shows pushing a character IMO. I think if they wanted publicity (particularly negative) they would have emphasized the previews they were showing before.

I read a complaint that SG1 had become the Daniel & Vala show. (it probably has but then Daniel's my favorite character so I don't care). I'm just not up to watching the "Sheppard & Dex" show if that is what they are planning for Atlantis. Which was why I asked my original question. What demographic is more likely to start watching Atlantis if it becomes the Sheppard & Dex show? I just want to know which viewers they're targeting?

Comment

What you ought to realise is that previews are not created by the show producers, they are created by marketing suits at the network who don't care or even think about fans. After all, fans are going to watch the show regardless. It doesn't matter to a suit that you like the Daniel and Vala Show on SG-1 but don't want to watch the Shep and Dex Show on SGA. The previews are aimed at garnering the biggest audience possible in their favoured advertising demographic. If their market research indicates that a preview that caters to people who like two blokes butting heads because it might mean they'll kill each other at any moment will increase the network's audience share, then that's what they'll do. They're not pushing one character out in favour of another in the previews, they're looking for ratings. To take previews personally is a wasted exercise for fans because, as I have pointed out myriad times in the Australian SG news thread, networks don't give a toss about anything other than making money.

Comment

I've always liked new characters as long as they're not stupid. In season 1, Ford was just an extra military/explosives guy. Nothing character-development about him. Season 2- he's a half inscane super-Wraith soldier so we're interested in saving him.

However, Atlantis was too much peacekeeping than anything. Not a lot of toughness. In SG-1, the had Teal'c and now on Atlantis, they have Ronan. See... on SG-1, Daniel was a Archeology expert and could help them in history, Sam on astrophysics and stargate, Jack and Teal'c to fight. Now on Atlantis, Sheppard was doing most of the talking and fighting, leaving Ford in the shadows. McKay was the scientist and Teyla the fighter/negotiator. The Atlantis team needs more agressiveness in order to fight the Wraith. Ronan's character provides that. While McKay is in the lab, all three of them (Ronan, Teyla, and Sheppard) can practice fighting in the gym. In Season 1, Ford wasn't around a lot.
                        Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
                          What you ought to realise is that previews are not created by the show producers, they are created by marketing suits at the network who don't care or even think about fans.
                          Exactly and even though TPTB love the episode Sci-Fi might be less than enthusiastic about "The Kiss". I'm guessing the preview focused solely on Dex because Sci-Fi didn't want to scare off there target demographic (young males)
                          sigpic

Comment

Try not watching and/or ignoring the trailers one week. You might find it to be much more rewarding when you watch the ep. I stopped watching traillers a few years ago and find i dont get angry when i watch the ep and totally get dupped. just a suggestion, you might like it!!
                            Get YOUR P90 Here!
                            Am i alone in hoping that the Seaquest seasons with the DeLuise brothers are finally released on dvd??

Nice hair!!

Comment

Originally posted by SophieTucker
                              As one who suffered through four years of Enterprise hoping TPTB's would get some sense I tend to be very skeptical of "reworking" a series. SG1 - that's understandable - it was rework or die. But even at the end of last season I was concerned about all the "changes" for SGA season two. Fortunately some weren't as bad as I thought (Weir & Sheppard are still in charge) and I wholeheartedly agree Beckett should be a regular cast member. Still feel bad about Ford.

Here's my ENT paranoia - what's with the pushing the Ronan character. I mean all the ads for this weeks ep show Sheppard and Dex - you'd think it was only about them - although I read somewhere there might be something about McKay and some "kiss" you'd never know it from the ads. Anyway, I know UPN tried to push certain characters to appeal to a certain demographic -

So, what demographic are TPTB trying to appeal to with Dex? I would think if they were trying to attract the oh so sought after 18-49 males they'd have added a female catsuit character like ENT did - that's why it makes no sense to me? (one reason I prefer Stargate over Star Trek - no catsuits)
                              Said it before and will say it again .. Too much hype on Dex and judging how the ratings didn't improve and SGA is still 2.0 desite all the Dex hype just shows Dex is NOT the answer to the overall improvement of SGA ..
                              Personally I think all this hype is showing signs of backfiring and agree DUET should have shown previews on McKay not Dex and as for Shep the previews are mainly all about Dex as are all the eps pics which sucks IMO ..
                              I'm not against Dex anymore per se and liked his intro but SHEESH ENOUGH IS ENOUGH .. I fully expect SGA to be all about Dex in Season 2 and why TPTB think Dex is their answer for ratings success has me confused ?

Pam

Comment

Working...
                              X