The Problem with Star Trek: Enterprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Problem with Star Trek: Enterprise

This is something that should be discussed...

Why Star Trek, such a powerful science fiction franchise, is now suffering severely? Cancelation, Sloppy Storylines...

I have some thoughts on this:

1. It's Prequel: This severely limits the storylines because you can't do certain things because it would interfer with the other shows which are in the future compared to Enterprise.

2. No Chemistry: Even though most shows pick this up around the 3rd season, Enterprise is still not feeling like a team! To me I don't really care too much what happens to the crew as i did for the other Star Trek crews.

3. No One Liners: Every Star Trek has had it's one liners, from "Make it so" to "Engage." This is what made every Trek unique.

4. Lackluster Storylines: Most of the stories have been poorly done. Not to say there hasn't been good ones just not ones that are really standing out yet. TNG had early episodes like "Best of Both Worlds" and "Yesterday's Enterprise" that really put it on the map so to speak. Instead we get some stupid episode called "Doctor's Orders." Get rid of the Suliban too, what a stupid idea for an enemy.

5. No Cool Technology: Since Enterprise is a PREQUEL the tech people don't have free range in creating technology because they are limited by the technology that TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voyager have layed out.

These are only some of the problems Enterprise has to deal with if it gonna get a big fan base like the other Star Trek shows have. I hope it does however since I have been a Star Trek fan since 1987 (The TNG days) and hope the franchise goes on for a long time.
    Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
    - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
    - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
    Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
    Mayboune: *shrugs*
    - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

I agree, any prequel shows limit the show from actually expanding the shows storylines. Although i think Trek's latest season was actually good, haha... I think the cancellation scare is probably because its now placed against another scifi/fantasy show, Smallville, and against the dreadful American Idol, but i guess i would have stopped watching because of S2, that season of Enterprise was, '...', no comment haha..
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I recently read (over at TrekToday) that JMS (of Babyon 5 fame) had helped develop a new Trek series which he believes will revitalize the franchise. JMS has done a great job with B5 and I found the cancelled "Crusade" and the never-made-it "Legend of the Rangers" excellent. I think that that show should become a reality! What does everyone else think?
      Rocky

Comment

... reality ... as in 'reality show' ? is that a joke?

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
          ... reality ... as in 'reality show' ? is that a joke?
          No, not an intentional one, at the least. I merely meant that the Star Trek show that JMS has created should be produced. I find most reality shows very annoying, however, I have been known to watch one or two.
          Rocky

Comment

Yah, some reality shows for me are ok, but American Idol, Survivor, etc, those shows i can't stand, but Fear Factor is ok Haha...

Yah, i wasn't sure if that was a joke or not, had to make sure ;p

Comment

i don't care for 'reality' shows in the slightest simply because, to me, they all seem to be on par with pro wrestling.....silly and contrived....and a cheap and lame way for the networks to put on something 'new' without actually having to think and produce something intelligent

as to jms and trek....that surprises me. jms tends to be rather protective of his creations and not very tolerant of network or studio interferance. and paramount has never struck me as a hands off company

more power to him. the jeri ryan show that voyager became and now the lack luster enterprise is killing a 30 year franchise. course, that would explain paramount doing something about it, it is their cash cow
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I disagree, i dont think enterprise is killing it atall. I think its so much harder to create a show that everybody loves in this day and age compared with the olden days. These days if certain graphics arent done well the company is shunned for it, whereas back in the star trek days you could have a smoke machine bailing out a stream of fog from behind a precipice and nobody cared! Theres also the amount of spoilers around which contribute to the expectedness of some story lines, and the fact that every story which may be played has been somewhere along the line. Take the nazxi thing for example, star trek has done it once, in voyager, and then it was only a holodeck. So everybody compared it to battlestar galactica, says that was great thus this will be rubbish.

All that coupled with the non-greatness of the first series, people turn on enterprise expecting it to be crap, and as most things its psychological, if you think its going to be crap, its likely it will be crap. If you start watching it optimistic of a good episode, then usually it will be a good episode for you, which is all that matters.

Finally, i think we should think of enterprise as a singular thing. It may be in the star trek universe, but TOS, TNG and VOY is some of the greatest sci-fi ever to grace television screens. Its hard to live up to.

Comment

Enterprise's problem is bad writing. I think most people wouldn't mind if they broke little bits of canon here and there (especially TOS canon, which has been contradicted before) but things like THE BORG appearing, and not saying their catchphrase "We are the Borg"

Season 3 got a bit better... until the alien Nazi showed up They could have done anything, but they had to go with alien Nazi

My theory is JMS is covertly entering Trek to give the final blow. He'll screw everything up for revenge for DS9 ripping off (In his opinion) B5

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                    I recently read (over at TrekToday) that JMS (of Babyon 5 fame) had helped develop a new Trek series which he believes will revitalize the franchise. JMS has done a great job with B5 and I found the cancelled "Crusade" and the never-made-it "Legend of the Rangers" excellent. I think that that show should become a reality! What does everyone else think?

You should only know why Crusade was cancelled

If JMS had been given carte blanche the show would have been so much better. But the network wanted more hot girls and more sex, so JMS just pulled the plug

Comment

I find Enterprise's lack of tecnology very... disturbing. Everyone loved the new little gizmos that kept popping up, at least, in my house we did. But in Enterprise, it just seems... wrong. Not only that, but the team doesn't seem to be able to work together! In three years, they should know what each other will do, how they would do it, and the precise second... like a real team would. But it always seems to end up wrong. And then, some of the 'ships are confusing... whatever happened to some of those?

In my opinion, Enterprise isn't as bad as some scifi spin-offs (don't get me wrong... some spin-offs are good), but... it's not at the top of my list. I stopped watching when all we wanted to do was kill Zindi... and especially when they left that ship stranded... it's just getting too un-Trekkie. Get back to what we love.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                        JMS trying his hand at Trek? I might join the Trek fandom yet!
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

The problem with Star Trek: Enterprise is....

for crying out loud...they focus on one or two characters in each episode tops! In original Trek they focused less on the other characters but the only ppl in the op. credits were kirk, spok, and mccoy!

in TNG, whenever there was the cliche battle of mass proportions in each episode, the whole crew was on the bridge, before that, you saw each character usually once per episode and you had a reason to see them, not a "lunch" scene discussing klingon linguistics *though i'm sure they threw that in at some point*

in Voyager...it sucked but they felt like a family at least! Janeway was mama bear, Tuvok was the all wise grandfather, chakotay was the big brother, tom paris was the wild child, kim was the good boy, and 7 of 9 was the black sheep that strayed into some obscure cult and was rescued! it was your brady bunch of star trek, the partridge family...the simpsons perhaps

and DS9, even though i absolutely hate DS9, there was more of a connection with the characters *in fact DS9 was a little too much like a soap opera for me* than in enterprise.

enterprise feels like the "Captain Bakula's extreme adventures into the unknown, staring scary guy from the future" series as opposed to a trek series...

and right now i feel like the BIGGEST nerd ever...

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                          Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                          Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by AbydosTraveller
                            In my opinion, Enterprise isn't as bad as some scifi spin-offs (don't get me wrong... some spin-offs are good), but... it's not at the top of my list. I stopped watching when all we wanted to do was kill Zindi... and especially when they left that ship stranded... it's just getting too un-Trekkie. Get back to what we love.
                            Man, i mean.. If you "really" love star trek, youll have to accept that one day we had to be mean TBH, The cost ofthat ships part against the cost of earth being exploded from the inside out, is a bit small. Even jean luc picard would have done that, if his keen sense of diplomacy had failed... and all the replicators broke! or geordie had less equipment than a sheet of cardboard, some glue, and a bucket of water!

Comment

Originally posted by shinyredpants
                              The problem with Star Trek: Enterprise is....

for crying out loud...they focus on one or two characters in each episode tops! In original Trek they focused less on the other characters but the only ppl in the op. credits were kirk, spok, and mccoy!

in TNG, whenever there was the cliche battle of mass proportions in each episode, the whole crew was on the bridge, before that, you saw each character usually once per episode and you had a reason to see them, not a "lunch" scene discussing klingon linguistics *though i'm sure they threw that in at some point*

in Voyager...it sucked but they felt like a family at least! Janeway was mama bear, Tuvok was the all wise grandfather, chakotay was the big brother, tom paris was the wild child, kim was the good boy, and 7 of 9 was the black sheep that strayed into some obscure cult and was rescued! it was your brady bunch of star trek, the partridge family...the simpsons perhaps

and DS9, even though i absolutely hate DS9, there was more of a connection with the characters *in fact DS9 was a little too much like a soap opera for me* than in enterprise.

enterprise feels like the "Captain Bakula's extreme adventures into the unknown, staring scary guy from the future" series as opposed to a trek series...

and right now i feel like the BIGGEST nerd ever...
                              No, you're no nerd... Nerds like DS9!

Comment

Working...
                              X