This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speeling Eerors

So, I've made a thread to list all the spelling errors (and grammar errors if you wish) that are starting to annoy you, let me begin:

It's Goa'uld, G-O-A-'-U-L-D. Not Gou'uld, Gou'ald, Goa'Uld, Gould, Goau-ou'ld or whatever else you can come up with.

Second on my list: O'Neill, not O'Neal, O'Niell, Oneill etc. etc.

Teal'c, Bra'tac etc. always lowercase after the apostraphie, not Teal'C or Bra'Tac (Or Ha'Tak or Tel'Tac...)

Asgard, no U's not H's, just Asgard.

And for the love of God, it's "I should have done that" not "I should of done that"

This probably belongs in Off Topic. Not that you're going listen to me, anyway.

What gets me more than the spelling errors are the typos in subject lines. I mean, come on! How hard is it to go back and EDIT your post to correct the typo?? The "Quistion" thing is going to make me burst into tears pretty soon.

Comment

Personally,I never judge a Post, or Poster, purely on the spelling and grammar they use.
      I'm far more interested in discussion, than in "nit-picking" anyone else's, so-called, linguistic skills .
      I'd like to point out that not everyone on this Forum speaks English as a "First Language".
      Also,what about Dyslexics ?
      Frankly,I'm probably as guilty as anyone else here,of making typos and misspelling some words/names ! (Where I can,I do go back to any howlers and correct them ! )

I'll leave you "Purists" to it,for now !
      (I have an error to correct elsewhere.....but I'm doing the correction for MY benefit,FYI ! )
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

It's an "attention to detail" issue, not a "first language" issue. All languages have correct spellings.

I agree with Teal'c.
        How could they leave me out?

Comment

So do I ,if it's about Show "Canon" Characters, and Place names.
          I'm against setting ourselves up as judges of each other's "non-SG related" spelling errors ,though.
          Attention to detail is one thing,but everyone makes "typos" and other errors.

Comment

I never said people aren't allowed to make typos or that I think less of folks who do (or who can't spell common Stargate words). But it's easy enough to correct a typo and if it's in something big like a subject line, why not fix it? I've corrected typos in my own posts before and lived to tell the tale.

Comment

Relax,Shadow ! In case you thought I meant anything personal against you,Teal'c,or Atum...that was not my intention.

Self-edits are best,and fixing typos is easy.Thread titles,though, can only be changed by the Mods. Maybe sometimes,Posters forget to check back on their spellings...and I'm just asking for fairness,between Members,that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
                Thread titles,though, can only be changed by the Mods.
                Not true. I typoed a thread title last week and went back and changed it.

I can tolerate spelling errors and typos but one thing I absolutely WILL NOT tolerate is text speak- that abbreviated pseudo-language cr@p that a certain portion of the population seems to favor these days. I can't see it as anything but laziness and I do tend to think less of people who insist on using it regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  Not true. I typoed a thread title last week and went back and changed it.
                  Cool! Seriously,(I'm not having a dig at anyone's post count) how did you do that?
                  Is it part of the benefits to earn,as we go up in the promotions?

(I know there have been references to the Mods being the ones to contact, if we foul up the Thread title .)
                  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#
                  All is now clear.Apparently we can ALL change "Typos" in our Thread titles !

Most excellent,IMO !
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 24 June 2004, 06:32 PM. Reason: See Forum Play Zone !

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                    So, I've made a thread to list all the spelling errors (and grammar errors if you wish) that are starting to annoy you, let me begin:

And for the love of God, it's "I should have done that" not "I should of done that"
                    One that kills me every time (hey, I got better!) is "lose" vs. "loose."
                    I've never seen so many people use those two words incorrectly in my
                    life as I've seen on the internet. Even very good fanfic writers mess it
                    up. It's not that difficult, either.

To lose is the opposite of to win or to find. If you lose something,
                    it is lost!

Loose is a modifier, opposite of tight or caged, etc. Loose lips sink ships,
                    not "lose lips sink ships."

Sorry! I'm not perfect, either. It's just that I can't understand how these
                    two words have run amok so....

OzGirl

If by "fond" you mean droolworthy, hummable, coma-causing, breath-stealing, lustful, libidinous
                    appreciation of the First Hussy Magnitude for Jack & his splendid, dirty, sweaty, sun-kissed, lithe-fingered,
                    full-bottom-lipped, lickable-eared, agile-tongued, long-necked, silver-haired, gracefully moving body
                    in all its fantasmagorical glory, then--- yes. I am also "fond." -- OzGirl

Comment

Naquada....Naquhadah?

Erk! In the series, when they go to blow up apophis's two motherships, the text on the display monitor uses the H's....but It's so much nicer without them...
                      sigpic

Comment

O'Neill specifically states on at least 2 occasions, "O'Neill, two "L"s!"

WHAT IS SO F****** HARD ABOUT PAYING ATTENTION????!!!!

Ok to be fair some people may not have seen those eps, but thats actually a pretty lame excuse because its impossible to move 3 pages in GateWorld wothout encountering The Colonol written somewhere!
                        [email protected]
                        http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                        One nation under dog
                        There of which I stand alone
                        A face in the crowd
                        Unsung, against the mold
                        Without a doubt
                        Singled out
                        The only way I know

Comment

But he held up three fingers!

::gets all confused::
                          sigpic

Comment

I have to agree to being quite frustrated at the bad spelling that floats around.
                            To be fair, I can be quite lazy at times, ignoring capitals and prolifically sprinkling commas throughout my posts. However, I do at least try to make them readable.

What I really despise is the way some people post with Ali-G speak.

Deliberately substituting words such as the with da, and I with me.

(eg. If me was to...)

eek. I can't stand Ali-G.
                            I also dislike the their, they're and there issues that people have. The same with two, to and too.

And I completely agree with FHB in that people sometimes don't know english well enough to post well articulated posts, and as such we shouldn't pick on them, however, deliberately disregarding all rules of a written language is different to not knowing the language.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              I can tolerate spelling errors and typos but one thing I absolutely WILL NOT tolerate is text speak- that abbreviated pseudo-language cr@p that a certain portion of the population seems to favor these days. I can't see it as anything but laziness and I do tend to think less of people who insist on using it regularly.
                              I have to agree, I may cringe from time to time, if I notice something really bad, but as long as I can understand what the person is trying to say grammar and spelling don't really bother me. Especially considering I'm crap at spelling

I'll admit to keeping a spelling correction program open when I get on the forum so I can correct most of my mistakes, and I try to go back and correct mistakes when I notice them, but otherwise I'm just no good with this stuff, give me a programming/scripting language any day!
                              ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                              The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Working...
                              X