This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Apophis Threatened the Earth!

I thought it might be cool to share this all the Gaters. In late 2004, a Near-Earth asteroid called 2004 NMH had it's orbit plotted, and started causing some concern that it might hit the Earth in 2029. The news was all over it at the time, conjuring up doomsday scenarios, and whatnot. Scientists recalculated the orbital information, and found that, in fact, it was not going to hit Earth or the moon anytimes soon, and the story fell from the limelight.

Well, because it's orbit was sufficiently calculated, it was given the permanant number 99942, and opened up for Naming. The name it received in June of 2005 was Apophis.

Granted, it was named after the mythical Apophis, and not the Goa'uld version, but it's still kind of cool, innit?

-IMF
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Originally posted by IMForeman
    I thought it might be cool to share this all the Gaters. In late 2004, a Near-Earth asteroid called 2004 NMH had it's orbit plotted, and started causing some concern that it might hit the Earth in 2029. The news was all over it at the time, conjuring up doomsday scenarios, and whatnot. Scientists recalculated the orbital information, and found that, in fact, it was not going to hit Earth or the moon anytimes soon, and the story fell from the limelight.

Well, because it's orbit was sufficiently calculated, it was given the permanant number 99942, and opened up for Naming. The name it received in June of 2005 was Apophis.

Granted, it was named after the mythical Apophis, and not the Goa'uld version, but it's still kind of cool, innit?

-IMF
    lol...its a conspiracy, it was really the last of the goa'uld fleeing from the jaffa who are attacking them, the jaffa must have knocked out the hyperdrive on the goa'uld'd ship and now there using sublight engines to escape the jaffa. And they will pass earth in 2029.
    The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Lol, that is very cool. I have never even heard, of that, not sure why. Lol, maybe they are just saying it was named after the mythological Apophis, but are really just big fans of Stargate!

Owen Macri

Comment

That is pretty cool.
        Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
        Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
        - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
        - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

Ya, lol. very cool.

Owen Macri

Comment

Of course they were fans of stargate... what sort of ppl would name an asteroid apophis if they weren't stargate fans. Don't astronomers prefer longwinded names like hail-bopppy the fifth, etc, etc, etc.

Besides, there are SG fans everywhere...
            "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

They are scientists, it is against the law for them not to like Stargate!

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman

-IMF
                Shoot, you got to it before me, I have it pinned up on my bulliton board and forgot about it but I laughed when I was it, I geuss scientists even watch Stargate!
                sigpic
                Sig from Kat Logan VIA SilverRider

SIX YEARS OF ROLEPLAYING ON GATEWORLD!

Join the Aftermath RP

Comment

Whoever discovers it gets to name it. If you were to discover a NEO what would you name it ?

Comment

Owen Macri! Yep, that's it. Oh, wait no, maybe I would name it after every one in my family. Ya, but I have a huge family, just the Acronym would take up a couple pages.

Owen Macri

Comment

This month's issue of Popular Mechanics is about the asteroid dubbed, Apophis. In the article they said it probably wouldn't strike us in 2029, although it would come within 20,000 miles of the Earth. That is closer than some of our communications satellites! The article also said that it would be the first known asteroid in human history to come close enough to the Earth to be visible to the naked human eye. It will be visible in Europe, Western Asia, and Africa before it moves on. Sounds like it'll be worth booking a flight in 2029 to see it..!

On the other hand... There is a chance, however slight, that the asteroid could come back 7 years later to hit the Earth anyways..! Granted, it is a 1 in 45,000 chance, but still that is far better than your odds in winning a lottery. It all comes down to if the Earth's gravitational pull 'tugs' the asteroid just right so that it leaves in just the right angle to go around the sun and back to the Earth (taking 7 years). It is estimated that if it hits it would strike with the force of 65,000 Hiroshima atomic bombs..! Apparently not enough to destroy the Earth or even humanity necessarily, but absolutely enough to do some serious damage world over.

There are ideas that we might use nukes to divert its flight path. Or something. Either way, we have 22 (or 29) years to figure it out. This is a very strong reason to support the space programs. Some people want to ignore the space programs, saying we should give all that money to the sick and poor. What good is all that gonna do the sick and poor if they are all dead because of an asteroid strike? Then of course, that isn't even to mention all the things the space program has given us already. Satellite television, Microwave ovens, MRI scanning, and other spin-offs of the space age. What future innovations might we see if we continue still?
                      The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                      Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                      My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                      Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

I direct you to this:
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...51#post5987251

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman View Post

-IMF
                          Dude...did you say 'init'!? CHAV.
                          Its a cover up.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                            Yup was already a thread on this not too long ago.
                            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                              Actually, THIS thread is older than that one. This thread was started in August of last year. The thread you directed me to was just started this month. I didn't see it, but instead of starting a new thread, I used the search function. Obviously, the newby that started the other thread did NOT.
                              The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                              Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                              My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                              Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

Working...
                              X