PDA

View Full Version : Julian Sands/The Doci Appreciation and Discussion Thread

Lida
August 1st, 2005, 07:42 AM
I thought Julian Sands was perfect as the Doci. In an much earlier post, on another thread, I wrote that I thought Mr. Sands would make a great Goa'uld. Well, he makes a GREAT Doci, just the right mix of superiority, wonderful voice modulation, and just plain evilness.

Anyone else think that Julian Sands should become a returning character, as The Doci?

The Priors are expendable, but The Doci, he should be treated as the Goa'uld were......build upon their appearances, to give the audience a real "entity" to fear and dislike, and Julian Sands does that SO well. :)

Nice job of casting!

Qasim
August 1st, 2005, 07:46 AM
I liked the Doci his lines were very good especially this one:

Doci: Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry our warriors out amongst the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers! The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

HALLOWED ARE THE ORII

Lida
August 1st, 2005, 08:47 AM
I liked the Doci his lines were very good especially this one:

Doci: Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry our warriors out amongst the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers! The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished.

HALLOWED ARE THE ORII

Ah, but did you like the actor who portrayed him? Do you think Julian Sands should become a recurring character, playing the Doci, rather than have a new Doci pop up in every epi about the Ori......I'm curious. I think a single Doci, at least initially, to establish the Ori "presence", would be the way to go.

Qasim
August 1st, 2005, 08:51 AM
I think there is only one doci anyway - but if there are numerous doci's i would like us to focus on this one

Egeria
August 1st, 2005, 09:10 AM
I thought he was great. I remember having a crush on him when I was younger, after watching him in 'A Room With a View'. He's got the most gorgeous mouth.

I loved him as the Doci, and hope to see lots more of him.:)

Seshat
August 1st, 2005, 09:35 AM
I thought he was great. I remember having a crush on him when I was younger, after watching him in 'A Room With a View'. He's got the most gorgeous mouth.

I loved him as the Doci, and hope to see lots more of him.:)
Oh yes, please!! Bring him back! I would watch the show just to see him in it! !! More, more!! [/end wild obsessive fan adulation with panting]

I think he's a wonderful actor and he makes a fabulous bad guy. Weren't all of his scenes filmed solely with Daniel? Did anyone else get the feeling that the producers might have had several different actors in mind for this role and jumped at the chance when Julian became available? Or does anyone know if he cast long ago? I ask because I saw NO PR about his appearance in this ep prior to its airing, and it was a surprise to me to see an actor of his caliber on my TV screen. They have played up the appearances of all the other new recurring characters, but not, it seems, Julian, so I wondered if he was a late, lucky addition. Or if I was just being generally clueless, per usual. :rolleyes:

Lida
August 1st, 2005, 09:40 AM
Oh yes, please!! Bring him back! I would watch the show just to see him in it! !! More, more!! [/end wild obsessive fan adulation with panting]

I think he's a wonderful actor and he makes a fabulous bad guy. Weren't all of his scenes filmed solely with Daniel? Did anyone else get the feeling that the producers might have had several different actors in mind for this role and jumped at the chance when Julian became available? Or does anyone know if he cast long ago? I ask because I saw NO PR about his appearance in this ep prior to its airing, and it was a surprise to me to see an actor of his caliber on my TV screen. They have played up the appearances of all the other new recurring characters, but not, it seems, Julian, so I wondered if he was a late, lucky addition. Or if I was just being generally clueless, per usual. :rolleyes:

I was wondering that too.....when he came onscreen and I realized it was Julian Sands, I went nuts! I had no idea he was going to play the Doci. Needless to say, I was thrilled, as I'm a long time fan of his. He can play "bad" so well. ;) And good too.....I've seen so many of his movies, I couldn't list them all.

I hope if this was a lucky shot for tptb, he is asked and agrees to return and reprise the role. He was perfect! :)

Lida
August 1st, 2005, 01:12 PM
I think there is only one doci anyway - but if there are numerous doci's i would like us to focus on this one

Well, if he is the only Doci, I might consider, I said might, consider "Hallowing" the Ori, but only if Julian Sands IS the Doci! ;)

Qasim
August 1st, 2005, 01:15 PM
I am pretty sure that he is the only one - you should be "Hallowing" the SMORS

Tucker Case
August 1st, 2005, 02:38 PM
Did anyone else get the feeling that the producers might have had several different actors in mind for this role and jumped at the chance when Julian became available?

When the first casting sides for the episode came out, the Doci was described as "young," "angelic," "androgynous" and a couple of other things they changed their minds about, as the updated casting sides that came out a week or so later had scrapped all that and instead suggested Ian McKellen *pauses for moment of wild fangirl adulation of her own having just learned that the magnificent Brent Carver will be playing Gandalf in the LOTR musical - SQUEE!* and Helen Mirren as prototypes for the character.

So they were looking for a type, and Julian Sands most certainly fits the bill (I suppose it would be redundant to say he can fit my bill any day?).

Or does anyone know if he cast long ago?

The Solutions website reported in May that Robert Cooper had mentioned, in a 'Cult Times' interview, that Julian was on board as a "wonderful, wonderful creepy bad guy," but I don't know if anyone had definitively identified him as the Doci.

The lack of PR was weird, I thought, given how quick they were to wave their arms and shout about Cameron Bright and April Amber Telek (my first response to those "casting coups" being, "The who, what?").

Not sure why you'd want to keep mum on the likes of Julian Sands.

Tucker

Lida
August 1st, 2005, 04:22 PM
When the first casting sides for the episode came out, the Doci was described as "young," "angelic," "androgynous" and a couple of other things they changed their minds about, as the updated casting sides that came out a week or so later had scrapped all that and instead suggested Ian McKellen *pauses for moment of wild fangirl adulation of her own having just learned that the magnificent Brent Carver will be playing Gandalf in the LOTR musical - SQUEE!* and Helen Mirren as prototypes for the character.

So they were looking for a type, and Julian Sands most certainly fits the bill (I suppose it would be redundant to say he can fit my bill any day?).

The Solutions website reported in May that Robert Cooper had mentioned, in a 'Cult Times' interview, that Julian was on board as a "wonderful, wonderful creepy bad guy," but I don't know if anyone had definitively identified him as the Doci.

The lack of PR was weird, I thought, given how quick they were to wave their arms and shout about Cameron Bright and April Amber Telek (my first response to those "casting coups" being, "The who, what?").

Not sure why you'd want to keep mum on the likes of Julian Sands.

Tucker

Can you come to all my favorite threads and post, please? You are a joy to read. All that information and so well written. I'm very impressed.

Thank you for the info. I really didn't know any of it, but you are most certainly correct....Julian Sands fits the bill to a T, and I won't say anything else I'm thinking right now. ;)

Lida
August 1st, 2005, 05:30 PM
Well, as the other secondary character threads have pics, I thought we needed one too! ;)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/Lidacane/JS1.jpg

Enjoy! :)

Tucker Case
August 1st, 2005, 06:48 PM
Can you come to all my favorite threads and post, please?

Well...um...how many threads are we talking about here, exactly?

(Thanks for the compliment, btw. :o :) )

Thank you for the info. I really didn't know any of it.

Spoiler addict with too much time on her hands, what can I say?

Well, except you're welcome, that is.

Apparently, they were looking for another classically-trained actor to play Khalek in 'Prototype.' I wonder who they'll surprise us with this time.

Julian Sands fits the bill to a T, and I won't say anything else I'm thinking right now. ;)

You can't?...Oh. It's that "PG forum" thing, isn't it.

Nuts. :(

Tucker

Qasim
August 2nd, 2005, 02:14 AM
Well...um...how many threads are we talking about here, exactly? She probably means the 101 Dex threads lol :)

Did anybody notice that the Doci was Julian Sands in the promos?

Lida
August 2nd, 2005, 06:30 AM
She probably means the 101 Dex threads lol :)

Did anybody notice that the Doci was Julian Sands in the promos?

Cute qas! ;) It's only 3 or 4...... :p

And no, I didn't notice The Doci was going to be Julian Sands. It was a total surprise but a VERY good one! He was perfect in the part.

Purpleyin
August 2nd, 2005, 06:52 AM
I was thinking all through his scenes, 'where have I seen that guy?" but funny thing is I don't think I've seen him in anything other Arachnaphobia, but he looked familiar in that niggling way. But anyway, I thought he was very creepy as the Doci and definitely happy to see more of him in this role.

Lida
August 2nd, 2005, 07:31 AM
I was thinking all through his scenes, 'where have I seen that guy?" but funny thing is I don't think I've seen him in anything other Arachnaphobia, but he looked familiar in that niggling way. But anyway, I thought he was very creepy as the Doci and definitely happy to see more of him in this role.

Julian Sands has been around for a long time, making lots of movies. He was in Warlock, Rose Red, Vibes, just to name a few. I've been a fan of his for years, because he plays evil so well. Besides, he's so adorable too. ;)

Qasim
August 2nd, 2005, 07:48 AM
I had never heard of him until you started this thread :)

Lida
August 2nd, 2005, 08:36 AM
Here's another pic, maybe it will jog your memory. He has been making movies for quite a while! ;)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/Lidacane/julian.jpg

Qasim
August 2nd, 2005, 08:44 AM
Heres his IMDB for those of you who are like me http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001696/

I have never seen any of his films

Lida
August 2nd, 2005, 10:22 AM
Heres his IMDB for those of you who are like me http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001696/

I have never seen any of his films

Thanks for the link qas, but I have a bad feeling, that Mr. Sands will not be returning as The Doci.....I've checked the future epi's and no sign of him.

Bad move on tptb's part. He is definitely a keeper.

And I can't believe you never saw even one of his MANY movies!

Qasim
August 2nd, 2005, 10:24 AM
I think he will return as there is only 1 doci and they cant have a show without the head prior unless they have someone else

Qasim
August 28th, 2005, 12:53 PM
We havent seen him again - where is he?

Lida
August 29th, 2005, 09:17 AM
We havent seen him again - where is he?

I fear he won't be returning, at least, not this season. Personally, I think tptb lost a great oppurtunity......Sands was perfect in the part, but perhaps he only signed on for a one time appearance. Hope not, I would really like to see him reprise his role.

Qasim
August 29th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Thats a shame - I thought the Doci would be pivotal to the plot

Lida
August 29th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Thats a shame - I thought the Doci would be pivotal to the plot

Moi aussi....but I guess we were both wrong. :(

Qasim
August 29th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Not for the first time lol :D

Qasim
September 18th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Well he made a very small appearance in the '4th Horseman' and only had one line (if you dont count the recap)

Lida
September 19th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Well he made a very small appearance in the '4th Horseman' and only had one line (if you dont count the recap)

Well, at least he was back. ;) Maybe the tptb will be using him next season, as he is so deliciously sinister. Julian Sands is the plu perfect Doci. :D

FoolishPleasure
September 19th, 2005, 06:17 AM
I was excited when I saw Julian's name in the credits for "Horseman". .but we seem to only have gotten a rehash.

TPTB really do need to utilize him properly - he could be better than Apophis, Sokar, Anubis. SG1 needs a really creepy, recurring villian, and Julian fits the bill. The Priors are just pawns, and we keep seeing different ones.

Lida
September 19th, 2005, 06:26 AM
I was excited when I saw Julian's name in the credits for "Horseman". .but we seem to only have gotten a rehash.

TPTB really do need to utilize him properly - he could be better than Apophis, Sokar, Anubis. SG1 needs a really creepy, recurring villian, and Julian fits the bill. The Priors are just pawns, and we keep seeing different ones.

Couldn't agree with you more. We need a central figure, that we can focus our angst on, as we did with Anubis and Apophis, and Julain Sands as the Doci would be the best answer. He plays villanously creepy so well. ;) (Even Gerak as a Prior leaves me cold.)

Seshat
September 19th, 2005, 06:34 AM

Yes, it looked like a total re-use of old footage to me. Pity. :( Maybe they only got him for a one shot deal last time?

I would love to see him return in a future ep...you'd think that would be a necessity given his "rank". Plus, MS did some of his best acting against Julian. :rolleyes: I like it when they raise the bar for effort. :D

Purpleyin
September 19th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Yes, it looked like a total re-use of old footage to me. Pity. :( Maybe they only got him for a one shot deal last time?

I would love to see him return in a future ep...you'd think that would be a necessity given his "rank". Plus, MS did some of his best acting against Julian. :rolleyes: I like it when they raise the bar for effort. :D
I got so excited to see his name in the credits too but yes, looked like reused footage.

To be fair it could have been a budgeting issue, the special effects can't be cheap and they already had several guest stars, or maybe he wasn't available.

Still I wish they'd bring him back, and I'd love to know if what we learnt in The Fourth Horseman applies to the Doci or not. Is the Doci a human form Ori or is he like the Priors another pawn? I suppose he could be a high up Prior who has access to the overall plan, otherwise I'm not sure what the point of his character is. They ought to put the character to better/more use, so far he seems to make Priors but the question is does he control their powers or have any influence - what would happen if he didn't know of the Ori plan and could be convinced by SG-1 of the truth of the Ori.

FoolishPleasure
September 19th, 2005, 07:42 AM
We need more info on the Doci. .just what IS their status? What DO they do? And we need more Julian. :D

The one hang up I have with SGA is the Wraith - the idea is cool, but we have a "race" that is bad, and we kill off Wraith all the time, but we have no real, nasty, evil, vile, Wraith that we can love-to-hate on a regular basis. No one we can identify with.

The Ori are the same - we need a central "bad" character that we can identify, love, hate, look forward to seeing regularly.

Qasim
September 19th, 2005, 09:24 AM
The Doci is just the head prior and is most likely also just a pawn

shockwave
September 19th, 2005, 09:33 AM
The Doci is just the head prior and is most likely also just a pawn
exactly

veneticuss
September 19th, 2005, 09:39 AM
Why are they called Docis anyway? where did you hear that?

Qasim
September 19th, 2005, 09:53 AM
The prior in Avalon called him Doci

FoolishPleasure
September 19th, 2005, 10:00 AM
The Doci's seem to be intermediaries between the Priors and the Ori themselves. I think they are privy to a bit more info. But TPTB haven't given us a whole lot to go on.

Seshat
September 19th, 2005, 11:13 AM
I got so excited to see his name in the credits too but yes, looked like reused footage.

To be fair it could have been a budgeting issue, the special effects can't be cheap and they already had several guest stars, or maybe he wasn't available.

Oh, I know! I was just SO hoping that they would bring him back as guest star in a few more eps with new lines, et al. He's such a wonderful actor. :D But from the moment I saw that low angle shot of just the Doci's sleeve opening the metal gate, I KNEW that we wouldn't get any new Julian this ep or they would not have filmed it that way, and I was immediately disappointed. :( But I'll live! ;)

Egeria
September 19th, 2005, 03:02 PM
I just got round to watching 4th Horseman tonight....I'm gutted all we got to see of Julian was used footage. What a shame, I really do hope we get to see more of him.

Lida
September 20th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Maybe if we post our opinions more, on Julian Sands returning, as the Doci, perhaps tptb will get the idea.....and then again, maybe I'm delusional. ;)

I think he would add a greater depth to the story of the Ori, but as I haven't been reading spoilers and I'm not one of the writers, I guess I'll just have to wait for the second half of the season, to see how the storyline goes, without our deliciously evil Doci. :)