PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Trek Captain

Qasim
August 1st, 2005, 07:23 AM
Who is your favourite Star Trek Captain?

1. Kirk
2. Picard
3. Sisko
4. Janeway
5. Archer? - Is that his name (Enterprise guy)

I say Sisko

August 1st, 2005, 07:31 AM
Kirk all the way. He's got abundant character, style and knows what's going on and how to deal with it (Even if it's not the right way).

Wyrminarrd
August 1st, 2005, 07:49 AM
Picard by a mile. He was the ultimate starship captain in my books and is still the benchmark that all leaders in sci-fi have to messure up to.

Carl
August 1st, 2005, 08:26 AM
Picard / Janeway ... I find it hard to choose between the two.

Picard was just such a brilliant commander and had such great presence, especially when he's on the bridge of his ship.

Janeway however was a much more all-round women who was better at communicating and dealing with problems which required more than a good strong voice and a good mind. She also handled herself brilliantly in a much more unstable situation.

SimilarCadence
August 1st, 2005, 12:27 PM
Definitely Picard for me......

AGateFan
August 1st, 2005, 12:35 PM
1. Picard -- just plain cool

2. Sisko -- cool and a a baseball fan. I thought Rodenberry got rid of baseball in his vision of the future.

3. Janeway -- Really wasnt as bad as everyone says after you got past the first 2 seasons when the less advanced races kept capturing the ship... so I guess Vulcans make crpy security chiefs?

4. Kirk -- hes just kind of annoying chauvinist in an ugly uni, but he is the original so you got to give him props.

5. Archer -- Im sorry I still cant get past his favorite sport being Water Polo.... seriously its an issue for me I mean why not Football (american,UK or Aussie rules), Rugby, baseball, Hockey, Lacross heck even cricket and Curling is a cooler sport... plus I kept wondering when Sam would complete his job and leap.

Osiris-RA
August 1st, 2005, 12:43 PM
Well...Kirk/Janeway...had to pick Kirk because i like William Shatner, and he did the pretensious, chauvinist, TV military doofus role to a T.

I would have gone for Janeway but she was a tad annoying - though in a loveable way. She's goofy - as is Kirk. Ok, basicaly, she's a female Kirk. Can't I vote for two??? :p

Hywel
August 1st, 2005, 12:44 PM
Has to be Picard. He was so complex - strict, yet jolly, yet tense around children. He had so many good episodes - Best of Both Worlds, Darmok, All Good Things.... None of the others can compare!

Anyway, which other captain would assign an executive officer in charge of radishes? :p

Qasim
August 1st, 2005, 12:48 PM
yet tense around children. Remember when he got trapped in the turbolift ;)

Liebestraume
August 1st, 2005, 04:42 PM
My favorite captain has to be Picard, hands down.

He is the quintessential Renaissance man, one with the heart of a lion and the soul of a poet. No one else compares.

And Patrick Stewart is the best actor Trek ever featured. He brought a sense of diginity to the show as well as to the genre.

Qasimjavid, if you start a Favorite Trek Character poll, perhaps Spock or Data could give Picard a run for his money. :)

StarDreamer
August 1st, 2005, 04:56 PM
First it would be Picard.. then Janeway and Archer. I reserve a special place for Kirk.. because, well, he's Kirk! It's Shatner! He's the original.. I was raised on TNG, so I guess that gives me a different viewpoint, but it's not an easy decision!

tsaxlady
August 1st, 2005, 05:20 PM
Picard was/is my favorite.

But I did really like Janeway & Sisko

Kirk was okay

Never could get into Enterprise so Archer is way down at the bottom of the list for me.

Uber
August 1st, 2005, 05:28 PM
Picard was/is my favorite.

But I did really like Janeway & Sisko

Kirk was okay

Never could get into Enterprise so Archer is way down at the bottom of the list for me.1. Janeway
2. Picard
3. Kirk
4. Sisko
5. Archer (never got into Enterprise)

golfbooy
August 1st, 2005, 06:23 PM
Perhaps this opinion comes from being brought up on TNG, but it's Picard by a mile. His character and Patrick Stewart's portrayal of him lent a credibility to Star Trek that no sci-fi show had had before. It took two less than stellar shows 11 combined years run time to finally overshadow the presence he brought to the captain's chair.

Hyperspace
August 1st, 2005, 06:55 PM
1. James T. Kirk
2. Jean-Luc Picard
3. Sisko/Janeway (tie)

Meredith
August 1st, 2005, 10:02 PM
Picard -- he is always soooo cool!! :)

Easter Lily
August 1st, 2005, 11:22 PM
Picard, of course... an officer and a gentlemen... Ditto to everything Liebstraume said...(I forgive him his uniform pulling) and he made you believe that his men would follow him to hell and back.

And there's something to be said for having a Shakespearean actor in the role of the captain... I don't think anyone else could have portrayed the post-traumatic Borg syndrome with quite the same degree of angst and dignity.

Sisko comes in at a respectable second... he used his voice to good effect.

Egeria
August 1st, 2005, 11:56 PM
1. Kirk
2. Janeway
3. Picard
4. Sisko
5. Archer

the Fifth Race
August 2nd, 2005, 12:07 AM
1) Picard....simply the most noble and consummate captain of ST franchise.
2) Archer.....did'nt care for his show but he was one of the bright spots, stand up kinda guy.
3) Sisko....Great character but kind of a loose gun, not exactly on the level of Picard.
4) Kirk....what can ya say :D
5) Janeway.....Thought she made a bad decision stranding her shipmates in another quadrant, she did re-deem herself in getting them home and defeating the Borg queen.

Qasim
August 2nd, 2005, 03:05 AM
Obviously Picard is going to win this one :)

Perriman33
August 2nd, 2005, 06:34 AM
I think picard was good he was always calm and in control but my fave is Sisko his relationship with all the main characters in DS9 was great. :)

MartoufMarty
August 2nd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Picard all the way :P

.:Lemon:.
August 2nd, 2005, 10:55 AM
Picard :)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 2nd, 2005, 02:16 PM
Let's settle it, Picard is better than Kirk

Kevin
August 2nd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Sisko....the man was a beast, especially in the later seasons

Kirk would be second

Out...

Celestial
August 3rd, 2005, 07:47 AM
Picard all the way!!

Lexx
August 3rd, 2005, 11:51 PM
Picard. He's just too cool. Sisko is in a close second, and Kirk is a little bit behind him. Janeway is waaaaaaaaay back and Archer is x10 as far behind Janeway as she is from Picard.

LoneStar1836
August 4th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Easily Picard. Patrick Stewart made that character for me.

Followed by Sisko.

Sisko comes in at a respectable second... he used his voice to good effect.Avery Brooks does have a very distinguishable and commanding voice. I can recognize his voice almost immediately when I hear it. Though I grew up watching “Spenser for Hire” so for me he was Hawk before he was ever Sisko.

CeeKay Sheppard
August 5th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Given that the original cast of TOS had to be changed after the pilot because Number One was a woman, I had to vote for Janeway, the first female captain. She demonstrates how far our own society has advanced.

nebulan
March 6th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I know this is a really old thread, but I wanna comment anyway.

Liked:
I really like Picard, Stewart defined star trek in my eye since I was raised on TNG and he's a fabulous actor :)
I liked Sisko. Father figure and friend. He was probably the most human of the captains.

Hated:
Kirk - didn't hate him so much, he did do a good job in some of the movies.
Archer - It was like he was trying to get him to hate him. I think the only episodes I like him in were some of the season 4 ones, but then again, the only episodes I liked were end of season 3 and season 4 ones, lol.
Janeway *stabs her repeatedly in the eyes with a fork* Gah! Why was she always making bad decisions and doing everyone else's job?! Voyager is probably my favorite series, but that's thanks to all the OTHER characters (excluding seven)

mikepbr549
March 6th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Picard.... hands down.

I think he represented the hope of evolution of man. Very well balanced character both logically and ethically.

IMO, Sisko had no ethics and was a disgrace as a captain. Heaven help us if people with like him are in charge in the future.

I could excuse Archer's behavior moreso because it was in the not too distant future and mankind had very little experience with space exploration and interaction with new lifeforms.

However, by the time Picard and Sisko were captains, rules and protocols were in place which they were duty bound to follow. One kept his oath and one did not.

JMHO.

Missster.Freeman
March 6th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I thought I'd voted in this thread before. :confused:

Anywey, my vote went to: John Luck Pickard.

Caldwell's 2IC
March 6th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Well, I voted for Archer because I'm a longtime Scott Bakula fan. However, Picard and Sisko ( prophet and all... ) are the best. Ok, I confess to having a soft spot for Kirk ( even when Spock was my favorite ) but I never liked Janeway that much. Chakotay would have been a great Captain for Voyager.

MB.Eddie
March 6th, 2007, 09:26 PM
1- Archer. The 1st captain. Formed the Federation. Made the tough decisions, and suffered for it at times. Also he didn't have the prime directive to fall back on
2- Picard. Great character. Great negotiator. His fault imo is that he didn't make enough of the calls himself, and relied on Riker and Data too much.
3- Sisko. Great leader. Relates well to his crew. He let Bajor and the prophets influence his decisions too much imo.
4- Kirk. Only seen some of the movies, and the odd ep. Solid leader, but can be a joke at times.
5-Janeway. Seen only a handfull of eps. Didnt really impress me.

teal'c2006
March 9th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I voted for Picard. But I also choose Sisko, kirk, Janeway.

teal'c2006
March 9th, 2007, 07:57 PM
1- Archer. The 1st captain. Formed the Federation. Made the tough decisions, and suffered for it at times. Also he didn't have the prime directive to fall back on
2- Picard. Great character. Great negotiator. His fault imo is that he didn't make enough of the calls himself, and relied on Riker and Data too much.
3- Sisko. Great leader. Relates well to his crew. He let Bajor and the prophets influence his decisions too much imo.
4- Kirk. Only seen some of the movies, and the odd ep. Solid leader, but can be a joke at times.
5-Janeway. Seen only a handfull of eps. Didnt really impress me. I think Picard got better in the movies character wise and Picard's development was much improved, in Generations and continued in First Contact. I agree with you about Sisko, and Kirk is a good Captain. Captain Janeway, was the first female Captain, and is a good Captain of Voyager.

BeckettRulez
March 10th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Yep. Picard is the best one, and I do not even like TNG*g*

1. Picard- because he smarter than the others+ I grew up with TNG

2. Archer- Yes, I like Enterprise, he is so cool and funny

3. Sisko- I'm a DS9 fan and Sisko has his moments

4. Janeway

5. Kirk- I guess I'm too young to like Kirk

Eye Of Ra
March 10th, 2007, 07:54 AM
I vote Kirk the best captain in my eyes anyway.

rejven
March 10th, 2007, 11:14 AM
1. Picard :cool:
2. Archer- Enterprise is my fav. trek and Archer is very good captain imo.
3. Kirk- Legend, god captain but TOS is hard to swallow these days.
4. Sisko- Ok captain good series but he just does`t have what it takes.
5. Janeway- not saying she`s bad but she just not...But i liked Voyager as whole.

docballen
March 10th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Sisko, by far.

Picard stopped being the captain of the Enterprise the minute he was taken away by the Borg. Then, during Generations, there is a really serious problem with being faced down by this Bird-Of-Prey with L'ursa and B'etor-- two well-known evil evil people-- and what does Picard do?? Leave the ship, and leave it to an obviously superior officer. (Who promptly crashed it.)

I always thought Picard's captaincy more followed the idea that he'd get his bridge crew together, listen to their opinions and then tell them what they were gonna think anyway. The writers never let him use his ship's counselor in any decent fashion-- she might have been able to warn him that Ro Laren was about to leave Starfleet, for example.

Sisko was cool. He got to know his people, they did what he asked because they respected him. He showed how you deal with being a religious heroic figure to a planet full of people. One of my favorite episodes is where he gets righteously indignant-- Past Tense 1 & 2.

And I grew up with Kirk. A good commander doesn't just throw away a vital resource-- Kirk is where the term "red shirted" comes from. He, too, took the advice of Spock and McCoy and then did what he had already decided to do anyway. (And I'm surprised that Kirk had only one son.)

generaloneill
March 10th, 2007, 12:43 PM
captain janeway captain picard captain archer and captain harriman are my favourite trek captains

another of my favourite captains that is less well known than the captains i posted above is captain erika hernandez captain of the columbia NX-02 sister ship to the enterprise NX-01

Laura the Asgard
March 12th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Wow - this one was tough - I grew up with Kirk (in Syndication)so to me he was Star Trek. I liked Picard because of his wisdom and even though he got annoyed with kids, he was someone I would like to serve under if I were in the Military. I missed him the most in the episode where they bring in Ronnie Cox as the captain. Remember that? I didn't like him at all and I wanted Picard back! I liked Janeway because she was a scientist and was a good leader under very strange circumstances. She was a caring person but you never lost site of the fact that she was the captain. Archer was cool too. I liked when Malcom was ripping on him for allowing people to voice their opionions and he replyed back that what good was a Sr. Staff if you don't listen to their ideas. Plus - he liked dogs!

But in the end - Sisko was my winner - He got a crappy bunch of cards handed to him - his wife died, he ended up on some old space station in the middle of nowhere and had a lot of political issues to deal with, but he was cunning and strong and grew through the seven years that DS9 was on the air. He was also very kind to the Bajorans and the people under his command.

Cool Thread! :)

Daniel Jackson
March 12th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Jean-Luc Picard
My favorite captain of the five on the poll. His character is why I started watching TNG. I had seen a few episodes of the the series, but I thought it was a snore fest, because they were always sitting at the big table talking. They didn't do anything. I caught TNG "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II" as a rerun. Wow... that was creepy, epic, intense, dark, dramatic, compelling, and the episode that got me into TNG. :D At first, I was a TNG-only fan.

I like Kirk, Janeway, and Archer equally. I don't care for Sisko too much, because the character believes it's OK to do wrong for the greater good. I hate that philosophy. I almost stopped watching DS9 after seeing "In the Pale Moonlight."

nowvoyager908
March 13th, 2007, 06:01 PM
If forced to choose, I'd have to go with Kirk because of the swagger. LOL. And of course he was the first. Plus his relationship with Spock and McCoy was just perfect in every episode.

My second choice would be Janeway, especially after she stopped wearing that stupid bun on her head. Looked like a school marm from Little House on the Prairie. Loved Picard and Sisko also.

Never quite took to Archer though. I think Porthos had more personality, but that's just me. LOL. I'll still watch a rerun of any Trek over first run stuff of most anything else. Guess once a Trekkie, always a Trekkie.

Amann
March 13th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Sisko- because he had a personality with his subordinates and he did what was necessary to win the fight. In warfare, the tactician do what he has to do to achieve victory. By tricking the Romulans into joining the Dominion War, he saved the Alpha Quadrant from Dominion control. I respect someone who has to make hard choices and does so when asked to make it.

Picard and kirk were good captains. I just never got the sense that they would do what it took to win a battle. Well maybe kirk.....

Never really liked janeway or archer though:mckay:

Kath Pup
March 16th, 2007, 06:28 AM
It has to be Picard for me, although I'm probably biased as I grew up watching TNG. Sisko comes a very close second if only because he punched Q :)

Desl
March 16th, 2007, 10:44 PM
It was hard for me to choose between Picard and Janeway. I chose Janeway at last. I really hated a few things Picard did, even though I didn't like everything Janeway did, too.

TheGreatLordGeorge
March 17th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I have to go with Kirk, the original, he set the bar for everyone else and is regarded as a legend in star fleet

the fifth man
March 17th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Personally, I'd have to say Picard was number one in my book. Followed closely by Kirk. Very closely.

Defiant
March 21st, 2007, 02:53 AM
Favorite is Kirk of course and least favorite is Janeway but trust a women driver to get lost (runs and hides lol)

kmiller1610
March 21st, 2007, 12:29 PM
There is a bit of confusion as to rank and function. I really like Sisko, but he's kind of an occassional captain of a ship and mostly an executive officer of a facility. I voted for Picard because he's the most balanced and impressive of the lot. He's a strong executive, a balanced manager of men, inspirational, decisive and not burdened with the kind of impulsiveness and excesses we find in Kirk and Janeway. He gives great speeches, is sacrifical and passionate, but appropriately detached when he has to be. Sisko is a close second. He has many of Picard's qualities and is similarly impressive in most ways. I see both Kirk and Janeway as flawed and balanced by a strong staff. Kirk needs Spock to function at his best. Janeway needs a ton of luck, but also has a Vulcan on staff to balance. They both need restraint and tend to make impulsive, overly passionate decisions. These are strengths in some situations and detrimental in others.

Archer is growing on me, but he seems out of place, like everybody in Enterprise.

Col. Shadow Quinn
March 24th, 2007, 05:54 PM
1)Picard: Captain of the Enterprise D and E.
2)Kirk: Capt. of the NCC-1701 and NCC-1701A.
3)Sisko: CO of a station and a starship at the same time.
4)Archer: He became the Federation president.
5)Janeway: not a very captain. She kept getting her into needless danger.

panikin
March 27th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I'd have to go Kirk... just because there's fisticuffs and shirt ripping and.. talking... in fragmented... sentances, haha

But it's a tough decision with Sisko and Picard, they're pretty awesome too

Integrabyte
April 24th, 2007, 08:08 AM
I used to love Jean-Luc but things have changed since Janeway made me have sleepless nights. My vote goes to Janeway. She is very flexible, human and makes mistakes like the rest of us, and tolerant ;).

Janewaaaaaaaaaay POWA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:startrek_smiley here :D

markaudette
April 24th, 2007, 05:18 PM
William Shatner has a lot of charisma, no doubt.

But Avery Brooks is the ultimate actor. And he was the ultimate Starfleet captain. And the ultimate husband and father.

Patrick Stewart used to be a fine Trek actor. But in Nemesis, he might as well have been a log. Because a log could have gotten a better performance than Patrick in Nemesis.

Avery Brooks for President, Prime Minister and actor of the ages.

fammann
April 25th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I like them all eqally. I voted Archer because i like the actor most

monkey_man132
April 25th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Janeway, then Archer.

jmw326
April 25th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Sisko
Kirk
Archer
Janeway
(everyone else who has ever been a captain)
Picard

hbt123
April 25th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Sisko
Kirk
Archer
Janeway
Picard

Not a Picard fan i take it? :D

Personally...

Janeway
Picard
Kirk
Archer
Sisko

Exiled Master
April 25th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Picard-Just wow. The amount of nostalgia I get from TNG is overwhelming. I can't say the same for...
Kirk. But he had something that set him apart from the others: a gut. Which he wore pretty well after TOS.

If this were about 1st officers, it would basically be a tossup.

Descent
April 26th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Janeways beating Sisko?? No way. She made so many bad choices that I'm surprised no one on Voyager mutinied againist her.

Blitz
April 26th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Sisko for me

Strong, independent character - he'd break protocal if necessary - and allowed both aspects of his life, destiny and the uniform to grow together without putting one down.

He related to his crew, led a war, made contact and, more importantly...got rid of the hair! Gods bless the later seasons look :D

Lokii
April 26th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Kirk all the way.

Kirk Boldly went where no one has gone before
Picard baldly went .... (Just couldn't resist)
Sisko blandly went (but did improve over time)...
Janeway butchly went....
Archer.... he just stumbled

:)

Trek_Girl42
April 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Janeways beating Sisko?? No way. She made so many bad choices that I'm surprised no one on Voyager mutinied againist her.
Especially considering the number of Maquis.....they couldn't have all changed their stripes so easily. (aside from Seska) :rolleyes:

monkey_man132
April 26th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Kirk all the way.

Kirk Boldly went where no one has gone before
Picard baldly went .... (Just couldn't resist)
Sisko blandly went (but did improve over time)...
Janeway butchly went....
Archer.... he just stumbled

:) Lol Janeway wasn't butch :( she was just..less ladylike?

Missster.Freeman
April 26th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Lol Janeway wasn't butch :( she was just..less ladylike?Oh I dunno, maybe even less so. That voice of hers was almost as deep as a baritone.

Bill K
May 2nd, 2007, 09:08 AM
I think it was TV Guide that once speculated on who would win a showdown between Kirk and Picard.....and concluded that while Picard would be trying to negotiate and talk things out, Kirk would just pull out his phaser and shoot him.

Anyway, for me Kirk is the guy, he romanced a different babe on every planet, regarded the Prime Directive as an annoying suggestion, and never hesitated to beam himself down to the current week's "most dangerous planet in the universe".

Picard....pretty darn good also, but maybe a little too perfect, or at least trying to be, especially when compared to Kirk, and he's running a ship filled with families, children even, like a big hotel in space, you sometimes get the feeling Merrill Steubing could just as well be running things.....

As for the rest.....well, they are the rest, not in the same league with James T. and Jean Luc.

Bill K

fugiman
September 8th, 2007, 11:34 PM
James Kirk
Jean Luc-Picard
Benjamin Sisko
Kathryn Janeway
Jonathan Archer

Who do you think is the best?

Me I have to go with my boy Jean Luc-Picard, what can't he do? He is by far the best captain out of all of them

Also I never figured this out how do you ask the mods to make a poll? Because I think this should be a poll

Eye Of Ra
September 9th, 2007, 06:18 AM
I have to go with Kirk he's the man.

Xicer
September 9th, 2007, 06:32 AM
While I think Picard and Sisko are excellent Starfleet captains, Kirk is basically THE Star Trek captain. :D

USS Defiant
September 9th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Also I never figured this out how do you ask the mods to make a poll? Because I think this should be a poll
Use the search thread option, this exact thread already exists as a poll. :rolleyes:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=14970&highlight=favorite+captain

General David Niemi
September 9th, 2007, 07:27 AM
If I told you. The world would end. Because they all have special qualities.

Starrtom
September 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Archer, Janeway then the other 3 all equal third.

fugiman
September 10th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Picard is the best captain ever IMO and I would take him over all the others

fugiman
September 10th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Use the search thread option, this exact thread already exists as a poll. :rolleyes:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=14970&highlight=favorite+captain

I looked for it and I could not find it so I'm sorry:p

General David Niemi
September 14th, 2007, 04:01 AM
I choose Picard

Rosehawk
September 16th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I went with Picard. Janeway would be second, then Archer, Kirk and Sisko.

james watson
September 26th, 2007, 04:42 PM
i went with kirk as my favorite captain. then archer, picard, sisko and janeway. be safe everyone. james from chicago

Sgt. Norris
September 27th, 2007, 06:23 AM
1. Picard
2. Janeway
3. Archer
4. Kirck

Darth kat
October 4th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Janeway - Because I have a thing for Kick-a** female characters. :sam:

nekoi
October 4th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Janeway was, imo the most professional in her situation. She always made the hard decisions and was strong enough to keep a level head when faced with titan-like foes.

I loved Picard for the poeticness of his role, but it was easier to take Janeway seriously as someone in command.

BerrySciFi
October 4th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Kirk is my favorite, because he was my first hero- and I love his melodramatic over-acting! I think he toned it down WAY too much in the movies. Kirk should always be a swaggering, pompous narcissist. I also loved Spock and McCoy arguing, with Jim in the middle laughing. Then Picard. Janeway really grew on me after Voyager went into reruns. Sisko, too, for that matter. I liked his intensity. And lastly, Archer. I have tried very hard to like him, but it hasn't happened yet. I think Tucker would've made a much better captain.