This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F-302 Question that has been bugging me

In Intruder the F-302s are in space, under power from what appears to be the jet engines not the rocket as shown in this screen cap. Did the F-302s get sublight engines like the BC-303s or did the shows writers screw up big time? Even if they had been using the rocket they would not have any thrust control such as slowing down to get behind the other F-302. A rocket is either on or off there is no inbetween, and it would also be impossible to use the jet engines in space because they require air in order to opprate. Am I missing something or is this a big plot hole, last I new the F-302s only had 4 sets of engines and none of wich was sublight engines.

maybe upgraded 302?

Comment

i know we all love these shows, but they are just that, tv shows. why don't we just enjoy them and not ask too many questions .

Comment

I know that, but would it be all that hard to mention that the 302s got sub light engines.

Comment

Rocket engines don't have to be all or none, UNLESS that's the way you want and you consciously engineer them that way.
          "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

The F-302 had 4 types of propulsion systems according to the episode Redemption Pt. I:

1. 2 Turbofan engines for lower atmospheric flight
            2. 2 Modified aerospike engines for upper atmospheric flight
            3. 1 Rocket booster for low orbital flight
            4. 1 Hyperdrive window generator

The thing is, only the Rocket booster would be able to propell them through space, but it'd use all it's fuel up getting them into orbit. In other words, the F-302 as designed has no sublight propulsion system that would work beyond low orbit.

I'm guessing that since the episode Space Race in season 7, they've replaced the turbofans and aerospike engines with 2 ion engines. That would be able to propell them through the atmosphere and in space. I think they've had enough time to reverse engineer the ones they got from the Serrakin two years ago.
            Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Ion Drives are usually shown as blue though(due to the particle velocity is much faster in a ion drive then a chemical rocket)

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                Ion Drives are usually shown as blue though(due to the particle velocity is much faster in a ion drive then a chemical rocket)
                True, but the picture shown is also in front of a big orange sun, which will distort the colors.

For example, take a look at the Seberus:

Not the best picture, I'll admit, but it's engines look to be glowing orange, even though in this next shot they look blue:

See how the background is mostly blue chunks of ice floating around?

Personally, I think the exhaust looks white, but the orange sun and blue ice makes it look orangish or bluish.
                Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I'm not a real scientist but I'm pretty sure yet engines need oxygen to work, there's no oxygen in space as we know so the f302 needs another type of engine to fly trough space.

Comment

Jet engines need oxygen in the atmosphere yes, but rockets/boosters use liquid oxygen as fuel so they don't need an oxygen atmosphere

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                      True, but the picture shown is also in front of a big orange sun, which will distort the colors.

For example, take a look at the Seberus:

Not the best picture, I'll admit, but it's engines look to be glowing orange, even though in this next shot they look blue:

See how the background is mostly blue chunks of ice floating around?

Personally, I think the exhaust looks white, but the orange sun and blue ice makes it look orangish or bluish.
                      I was talking about real life =)

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                        The F-302 had 4 types of propulsion systems according to the episode Redemption Pt. I:

1. 2 Turbofan engines for lower atmospheric flight
                        2. 2 Modified aerospike engines for upper atmospheric flight
                        3. 1 Rocket booster for low orbital flight
                        4. 1 Hyperdrive window generator

The thing is, only the Rocket booster would be able to propell them through space, but it'd use all it's fuel up getting them into orbit. In other words, the F-302 as designed has no sublight propulsion system that would work beyond low orbit.

I'm guessing that since the episode Space Race in season 7, they've replaced the turbofans and aerospike engines with 2 ion engines. That would be able to propell them through the atmosphere and in space. I think they've had enough time to reverse engineer the ones they got from the Serrakin two years ago.
                        An aerospike is a rocket engine, albeit one that is not actually used in the real world, at least not yet. It is the key piece of technology for many of the single-stage to orbit programs in development around the world.

I've alsways assumed that the aerospikes are mounted within the turbofan housing, so they can blow out the same exhaust port. As long as there isn't fuel running to them in atmospheric flight, they shouldn't cause a problem (though my understanding is somewhat limited).

Now, that big booster on the F-302 is the orbital booster. The aerospikes aren't powerful enough to let the -302 break a planet's gravity, so the booster kicks it into orbit.

Now, though, I'm wondering what they fuel both the booster and the aerospikes with? Standard rocket fuel (making very big explosions when the fighters get blown up)? Something else Stargate specific?

a time to mourn

Comment

From Redemption, Part1: The ship has four sets of engines: air-breathing jets, modified aerospikes for high altitude, a rocket booster for space travel, and a hyperspace window generator.
                          So the aerospikes are used for high altitude and the rocket for space travel, but as shown in the screen cap in the above post they are not using the rocket.

Comment

i think that it is a modified version of the f-302. i mean, they knew that the 302s on this mission ight be involved in a space battle against the wraith, so they probably upgraded them.

i have another question about the f-302 if no one minds: also in intruder, when col. sheppard flew the f-302 out of the bay to destroy the radar dish that was sending out a wraith distress signal, what did he fire to destroy it? it was not a missile, but two seperate streams of shots, one coming fro under the port wing and one from under the starboard. was this weapon like a mini rail gun or was it an energy weapon of some sort?
                            ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Most likely the same 20mm cannon used on most US fighters.

Comment

Working...
                              X