This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wmd

It is nice to see that we are not as primitive as we think we are assuming that a race as powerful as the asgard or wraith really inhabited the galaxy. I am here by referring to the nuclear bomb, after millennia it still holds up as one of the strongest weapons available to our existence, Hiroshima was bad but think about it, if we were ever to find the resources to build stronger nuclear bombs. 1 Gton for example would be quite a firework show.

Huh?

And Nukes shouldn't exist. Fireworks are cool and all but not when innocent people are getting 'blowed' up. IMO, there's no 'but' after Hiroshima.

TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by nicedog
      It is nice to see that we are not as primitive as we think we are assuming that a race as powerful as the asgard or wraith really inhabited the galaxy. I am here by referring to the nuclear bomb, after millennia it still holds up as one of the strongest weapons available to our existence, Hiroshima was bad but think about it, if we were ever to find the resources to build stronger nuclear bombs. 1 Gton for example would be quite a firework show.
      Hydrogen bombs in US and Russian arsenal put the Hiroshima nukes in shame. These things yield tens to hundreds of megaton of TNT.
      They are terrifying things if you think about it.
      "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

I am all for Nuclear disarmament but as far as SG goes if it can kill the wraith then why not use it
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

What frightens the mortal hell out of me is this. All the info on how to build a Nuke is readily available on the internet, while that should not be a surprise, what is a surprise is the fact in how easy it is to obtain enough fissionable material to make such a horrific weapon. While I will say I am absolutly amazed in it's power, meaning how just 6 pound of Plutonium or even Uranium can actually create such devistation. It's mind boggleing.

Comment

Originally posted by jaden10
            What frightens the mortal hell out of me is this. All the info on how to build a Nuke is readily available on the internet, while that should not be a surprise, what is a surprise is the fact in how easy it is to obtain enough fissionable material to make such a horrific weapon. While I will say I am absolutly amazed in it's power, meaning how just 6 pound of Plutonium or even Uranium can actually create such devistation. It's mind boggleing.
            I always believed one needed 4-6 kg of weapon grade Plutonium

Found a nice little infobox while searching the subject:

Example/event Yield Contents Fissioned
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Hypothetical, LWR Pu 1-20 kton ~ 5-7 kg RG Pu 0.05-1 kg
            Trinity test, 1945 20 kton ~ 6 kg WG Pu 1 kg
            Totem I test, 1953 12 kton ~ 80% Pu-fis 0.7 kg
            Hiroshima, 1945 12 kton ~ 50 kg HEU* 0.7 kg
            Nagasaki, 1945 22 kton ~ 7 kg WG Pu 1.2 kg
            Thermonuclear bomb ~ 1000 kton
            * U-235 enrichment was only 70%.
            RG (Reactor Grade) Pu is presumed to have a 65% uneven
            isotope part (Pu-fis), and WG (Weapons Grade) Pu means
            something like 90% Pu-239 (I presume).

Comment

and scary
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                I always believed one needed 4-6 kg of weapon grade Plutonium

Found a nice little infobox while searching the subject:

Example/event Yield Contents Fissioned
                Hypothetical, LWR Pu 1-20 kton ~ 5-7 kg RG Pu 0.05-1 kg
                Trinity test, 1945 20 kton ~ 6 kg WG Pu 1 kg
                Totem I test, 1953 12 kton ~ 80% Pu-fis 0.7 kg
                Hiroshima, 1945 12 kton ~ 50 kg HEU* 0.7 kg
                Nagasaki, 1945 22 kton ~ 7 kg WG Pu 1.2 kg
                Thermonuclear bomb ~ 1000 kton
                * U-235 enrichment was only 70%.
                RG (Reactor Grade) Pu is presumed to have a 65% uneven
                isotope part (Pu-fis), and WG (Weapons Grade) Pu means
                something like 90% Pu-239 (I presume).
                No arguement, my field of specialty doesn't involve Nucular Physics, I didn't major in that. Still I know they have bombs that are around the 1000 Kilo range and that doesn't require a substancial amount of Plutonium, which either way is scary as all hell.

Comment

IMO the danger of Ur/Pu bombs are quite small. Cesium and other radioactive substances are much more likely to fall into terrorist hands.

Comment

which are readily available in the old soviet republics, hell even nulcear weapons aren't that difficult to get becasue they don't even know where they all are

Comment

You guys (and girls?) sure have a nice way of making the readers on this forum feel safe.

Seriously, after what has happened in the last few years in terms of terrorist activity, I'm not at all surprised if those guys are in the process of aquiring a few of those "missing" warheads from the old Soviet arsenal.

Comment

Why even bother building a nuclear bomb. In the ex- sovjet republic they will hook you up with a couple for the price of a brand new BMW

Comment

Originally posted by nicedog
                          Why even bother building a nuclear bomb. In the ex- sovjet republic they will hook you up with a couple for the price of a brand new BMW
                          Are we talking M3 or 7-series price range?

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                            IMO the danger of Ur/Pu bombs are quite small. Cesium and other radioactive substances are much more likely to fall into terrorist hands.
                            Cesium is radioactive???
                            "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

YES the soviets sued it in agriculture to iradiate crops to preserve them an they've lost loads of it or forgoten it even existed, in 2000 several canisters of it were recovered in bulgaria, i think

Comment

Working...
                              X