This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beaming Technology

Ok, Why the hell would you need an armauda of ships, if you have beam technology? You could just set up beaming checkpoints, Take a pod, put a Beaming station in it, and send it out to the maximum reach of the beaming technology, and continue doing this, have beaming checkpoints, station every several pods, instant beaming around your galaxy, the ships would be good for exploring uncharted areas or visitng places you don't go very often, but (Assuming this is peace time) you can get to point A-B quite fast, not as fast as a Stargate of course, but fast.

I'd like to hear any of your comments.
    Sorry if this has been brought up already.

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Originally posted by Ascended Times.2
    Ok, Why the hell would you need an armauda of ships, if you have beam technology? You could just set up beaming checkpoints, Take a pod, put a Beaming station in it, and send it out to the maximum reach of the beaming technology, and continue doing this, have beaming checkpoints, station every several pods, instant beaming around your galaxy, the ships would be good for exploring uncharted areas or visitng places you don't go very often, but (Assuming this is peace time) you can get to point A-B quite fast, not as fast as a Stargate of course, but fast.

I'd like to hear any of your comments.
    Sorry if this has been brought up already.
    While it is true it would be faster there are limitations to the technology. Before anyone even says anything about the Season Episode Fragile Balance, remember. Asgard Technology is more as of right now then what was left on Atlantis, and there are variables to Asgard Technology that NO ONE knows.

But the reason for ships as with our technical understanding of the technology. The reason one can't beam all over the Galaxy is because of something called Signal degridation, you lose strenght of signal the farther the signal goes, you can experience this while drive away from your favorite Radiostation, and it even applies to CD, Ham, Wireless communications and so forth, and even Sattilite TV.
    Now as WE understand it, the signal travels through subspace (in Trek Technology) because of the speed the information can travel. Now if the Asgard fixed that problem we don't know. I look at the Asgard as being that have been around so long they could most likely do anything, and perhaps they even have repeaters set up in "subspace" so they can beam to hell and creation and back. But seriously it is because of signal degridation.

Comment

beaming a person also kills them an creates a carbon copy who belives thery are that person but their not hell even useing a stargate dose the same

Comment

Lol, yes, philosophy has really strugglesd with this since Star Trek, is the person acually who they say they are. Well, in the transport is flawless, then yes, but also no. The matter is in the same formation, but it's not really the same matter...

Owen Macri

Comment

But does that really matter. There are several issues to consider here:

1) Won't the de-materialisation process kill the person anyway? It shouldn't really matter if they are re-materialised cos they'lll probably already be dead

2) Does it matter if it's the same energy as long as it's in the same formation (Personally i'd say no to this but that's just a common sense/speculative/not based on anything in particular type of view. as einstein said -common sense is a collection of prejudices gathered by the age 18 (or something along those lines...))

3) What makes ppl who they are? Is it a soul or just a brain. If it's just a brain and you re-mat them perfectly then i don't see any reason for them to die. however, if you do believe in a soul and that the soul is what controls the brain, which is what controlls the body, then you have to ask whether the soul would re-enter the re-matted body. If not then bye-bye life...

It's a lot to think about. no doubt there will be various tests on rats to see if they survive the teleporting process first - if we ever develop one...
          "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

beaming a person also kills them an creates a carbon copy who belives thery are that person but their not hell even useing a stargate dose the same
            There is no evidence to suggest that the beaming technology on Star Trek and or Stargate destroys the original person and creates a carbon copy. Your thinking of quantum entanglement which is our current understanding of how teleportation may work in reality. In Star Trek, the matter of that person is broken up in the matter stream, and converted into an energy pattern. The energy pattern is then sent to it's destination where is is turned back into matter and reassembled. Therefore the person is still made of all their original matterl and are still themselves, not a copy. I would suspect that Asgard beaming technology works on the same principle.

I have only ever seen quantum entanglement used in one show and that is Andromeda...so most of the Andromeda crew are copies.

HERMIOD: 'Crap' indeed.

Comment

theres a differnce between a persons consiousness an their molecules if i went through one i'd be the same me but i'd still be a copy even my conciousness

Comment

Not likely. It's been shown that the Asgard have the ability to remove consiousnesses from bodies and transfer them to new ones. A logical assumption would be that the same technology is used with the beaming technology. The consiousness is removed from the body, the body is transformed into energy, transmitted to it's new location and then reconverted into matter. At this point the person's consiousness is reintegrated into their body. That's how I see Asgard beaming technology working.

HERMIOD: 'Crap' indeed.

Comment

More than likely as i u have i doubt that ever time a person is transported they get a copy of their consinous other wise people would end up have slight changes in their behaviour no copy is perfect as the asgard show there would allways be slight deteration.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
                  O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

even if it were to down laod your conciousness you'd still be killed by the transfer your conciousness can't sirvive in a radio transmission or a computer

Comment

major smatha carters did as has Thors in the series, so in the stargate universe it is possible.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
                      O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

I've always believed that the Stargate transporter technology converts a person or item into energy. What sort of energy is hard to say, they are still alive as the energy but they just can't think or take action as an energy pattern. The rings and the Stargates do this with devices, the Asgard technology has found a way to convert the target to energy remotely.

Also, i'm not convinced that transporter beam energy travels through subspace. We know the wormhole does (which is why we can't see it), but there are numerous instances when we see a transporter beam (in particular, in between Goa'uld ships, which allows other ships with rings to park in the stream and intercept a traveller). In one of the episodes with the Asgard ship(s) in Earth orbit, we see a small bolt of light fly up from the planet into the ship (was it Fair Game ?)

In the case of Sam's exploits in Entity , my theory is that when she was possessed by the alien, the entity converted Sam's entire self into the energy it was made up of. Thus, for a short time, Sam was an energy alien (just with a far smaller 'brain' than most of them). This conversion allowed Sam to enter and survive in the computer system. Obviously, this sort of energy-based lifeform has the ability to think and take limited action, unlike those who are converted to energy for transportation.

Comment

isnt matter just energy slowed down so if it was them just making mass into energy wouldnt it be the same as flying a ship very fast.Hyperdrive speeds and you dont seem to have anything against that.
                          Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
                          Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
                          - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
                          - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

Originally posted by nimitz
                            isnt matter just energy slowed down so if it was them just making mass into energy wouldnt it be the same as flying a ship very fast.Hyperdrive speeds and you dont seem to have anything against that.
                            No, matter, is matter, energy is energy, matter can posses energy, by they are not the same. Right now, my index finger posses potential energy, but I turn it into kinetic energy but typing, yet, my finger is still matter. If I sped up my finger, to the speed of light (hypotheticaly) it would still be matter, matter with infinite mass and gravity, but matter. The kinetic energy in my finger is not moving fast yet it is energy. So, the answer to your question is no, matter is not energy slowed down.

Owen Macri

Comment

cool that explains alot thanks owen.
                              Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
                              Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
                              - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
                              - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

Working...
                              X