X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a sci-fi invasion this fall on TV

From The Hub (Lansing State Journal, Lansing, MI):

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0309/1055/news

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Published July 29, 2005

It's a sci-fi invasion this fall on TV

Networks jump on bandwagon after success of both 'Lost' and the genre's shows on cable TV

By Mike Hughes
    Lansing State Journal

For generations, science fiction and fantasy were confined to TV's toy chest.

There were a few classic shows that kept the buffs buzzing. Other sci-fi shows were rare and brief ... until now.

**major snippage**

Growing genre

There's more, if you count scare shows. CBS has "Ghost Whisperer" and WB has "Supernatural." That's six new shows - none of them on the networks (UPN and Fox) that used to have sci-fi to themselves.

Then there's cable. This summer, the Sci-Fi Channel fills Fridays with new episodes of two "Stargate" series and the impressive "Battlestar Galactica" remake. Its sister channel, the USA Network, has the terrific new "The 4400" on Sundays. And at 10 p.m. Sundays, two ESP shows - USA's "The Dead Zone," Lifetime's "Missing" - collide.

In addition, TV and cable movies this fall will offer fantasy versions of tornadoes, earthquakes, vampire bats and the Bermuda Triangle, plus Jules Verne's "Mysterious Island."

** general snippage **

Copyright 2005

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

I'm really excited about the increase of sci-fi series especially on the major networks. I do have to wonder if all these network execs are spying on each other though because the similarity of some shows to others is very....interesting.

How well they do will determine how many scifi series we'll see in the future. I don't think there's been this much scifi/fantasy on TV all at once since the mid 90s when Dark Skies, Kindred:the embraced, Time Trax, ST:Voyager, the X-Files, Forever Knight, etc. seemed to come on the scene right around the same time. I hope they fare better though since many series at that time fell quckly into oblivion and cancellation. Some (Hercules, Xena) are just unwatchable now. Anyone remember Cleopatra2525??

The ones I'm most excited to add to my TV schedule are: Invasion and Surface. Ghost Whisperer just seems like a copy of true calling and Medium which are partial copies of several others before them.

The ones I'll continue watching are The 4400, Smallville, Medium, Dead Zone, Lost, Alias, Stargate SG1 & Atlantis.

As for the Miniseries, I may check out Apocalypse but Triangle, unless they're offering something new, has been done to death.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

I'm just glad that no new science fiction series is on Fox. They seem to wait for a cliffhanger ending, and then cancel the series just as it's getting going. It can even have great ratings, and Fox still cancels.
      Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
      O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
      O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

I'd be more confident if all thse new "genre" shows didn't sound so moronic. Ghost Whisperer?! It seems like a lot of 'em are gonna be fluffy and/or overly sentimental in order to make it palatable to wider audiences. Maybe that's a necessity, but I can't say I'm terribly excited about most of them. The one about the hurricane/invasion sounds intriguing enough that I'll probably tune in to the pilot (if I can remember) and if anyone does justice to Mysterious Island, that could be good, but I think I'll stick to Lost, Atlantis, and BSG. Quality over quantity.

Space: Above & Beyond ranks up there as one of the worst series finales in terms of OMGWTFCANCELLED??!! And Now & Again (I think it was on ABC) rates a close second. Cliffhangers with daggers in 'em. Argh.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry
          I'm just glad that no new science fiction series is on Fox. They seem to wait for a cliffhanger ending, and then cancel the series just as it's getting going. It can even have great ratings, and Fox still cancels.
          That is so true. I've always hated that about FOX. If you're going to end a series at least have the courtesy of either skipping the cliff hanger episode or resolving the issue with an episode so bad we never miss the show at all.
          I'm still mising Kindred: The Embraced. It took a whole year for me to stop being annoyed over the ending of the Adventures of Lois & Clarke. The lack of resolution with these series are bad enough without tossing a suspenseful cliffhanger in the mix that all but implies if we beg hard enough you'll bring it back.. which never happens.

I know Jennifer Love Hewitt wants a career again but unless I prove wrong, Ghost Whisperer isn't going to do it for her.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Working...
          X