Where is the Other DHD??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is the Other DHD??

Okay, I am a bit of a Newcomer to the Stargate World. I just finished watching Seasons 1 through 5 on DVD and I am hooked! There is one thing that I don't understand however. When SG-1 discovered the second gate along with it's DHD in Antarctica they moved it back to the USA. It was used briefly by the baddies at the NID, then it was stored away. I know that the DHD worked because on one episode SG-1 went after the Rogue team and chased after them while they escaped through the gate which was sitting in a big crate. They dialed on the DHD which was nearby in the back of a truck or something. So anyway, that gate was apparently put away and not used until the other gate (found in Giza) was beamed up to the Azguard ship then ultimately crashed into the ocean. So now the Giza gate is recovered by the Russians and put together with the Giza DHD which the Russians had all along (If I was listening closely). Stargate Command now hooks up the Antarctica Gate and gets back to business. Okay, So finally to my question; Where is the DHD that came with the Antarctica Gate? They had it and it worked, so what happened to it? I think that I have seen every episode up to the end of Season 5 and they never said what happened to it. I am just curious because it seems like they need to have it all the time, like when Tilk gets stuck in the Stargate and they end up borrowing the Russian's DHD to get him out. If anyone can help me out on this I would appreciate it!

Thanks,

SG-Bob

The Antarctic DHD died shortly after the experiments were conducted on it. That's why its never come up again.

Plus its more dangerous to operate the Stargate with a DHD so you can understand why they don't want to use it. They're better off with the dialling computer.
    "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

It's in Area 51 presumbly, but it "died" and they can't use it. The dialing comps better anyway despite drawing 10% more power.
      sigpic
      Banner By JME2

Comment

Hey, Thanks for the Responses! How do we know that the DHD was damaged by the way? Does that get answered at some point after Season 5 or did I just miss it somewhere along the line? Do you know which episode tells us that?

As far as the Dialing Computer being better than the DHD, Doesn't the DHD correct for all sorts of problems that the Dialing Computer can't? Like the problem that caused Tilk to get stuck in the gate in the first place? And the time that the Wormhole went through a star and almost destroyed it? They said that the DHD would have corrected for that. Is this more information that comes out in later episodes?

Thanks Again!

Comment

Originally posted by omnian
          The Antarctic DHD died shortly after the experiments were conducted on it. That's why its never come up again.
          I think strictly speaking the Antarctic DHD never came up again and that's why it died shortly after the experiments were conducted.

The advantage of the dialling computer is that Steven J. Goa'uld can't waltz in and dial home; it's got all manner of security locks and so-forth, although the only times anyone's wanted to dial out they were Kawalski with his codes and Linea who hacked all the computers anyway.
          Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
          - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
            I think strictly speaking the Antarctic DHD never came up again and that's why it died shortly after the experiments were conducted.

The advantage of the dialling computer is that Steven J. Goa'uld can't waltz in and dial home; it's got all manner of security locks and so-forth, although the only times anyone's wanted to dial out they were Kawalski with his codes and Linea who hacked all the computers anyway.

What about Hathor?

To SG_Bob: It's mentioned in "Frozen" a season 6 episode.
            sigpic
            Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
              What about Hathor?
              Presumably hit old Walter with the love dust; that or evil Davis twin Norman was on duty that day and let her go because he thought it would be funny.
              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by SG-Bob
                Hey, Thanks for the Responses! How do we know that the DHD was damaged by the way? Does that get answered at some point after Season 5 or did I just miss it somewhere along the line? Do you know which episode tells us that?

As far as the Dialing Computer being better than the DHD, Doesn't the DHD correct for all sorts of problems that the Dialing Computer can't? Like the problem that caused Tilk to get stuck in the gate in the first place? And the time that the Wormhole went through a star and almost destroyed it? They said that the DHD would have corrected for that. Is this more information that comes out in later episodes?

Thanks Again!
                Tilk? It's Teal'c. <g>

Annnyway, our computer is more flexible. We can dial out to other galaxies, and monitor feedback from the gate more easily. Every see a DHD dial another galaxy? didn't think so!

Besides, we probably learned the codes that the DHD sent to the gate in order to rematerialize Teal'c, and added it to our computer.

We also know what code the gate sends to our computer when it doesn't want to dial through a sun, etc.
                sigpic

Comment

I think maybe "better" isn't the right word for the dialing computer. I'd say it's -theoretically- more secure, except when it serves the plot to let someone dial out.

Otherwise the DHD does have all sorts of features that would be nice to have.
                  ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                  The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                    Every see a DHD dial another galaxy? didn't think so!
                    Of course a DHD can dial another galaxy. It's just a matter of dialing 7 symbols and the PoO. All the dialing computer does is simulate the input that a DHD would normal send to the gate.

If the DHD couldn't dial another galaxy then neither could our dialing computer.
                    ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                    The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Never seen anyone attempt to dial another galaxy on a DHD.. That doesn't mean its impossible. Although O'Neill did make it back from the Asgard planet in the Fifth Race, so presumably they used a DHD.
                      The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                        Never seen anyone attempt to dial another galaxy on a DHD.. That doesn't mean its impossible. Although O'Neill did make it back from the Asgard planet in the Fifth Race, so presumably they used a DHD.
                        Or Thor's crazy hand device. That thing had all those uses, including curing the ultimate headache . Bout the DHD, I seem to remember some words in the season 2 finalie about how the needed the device O'Neill made.

It would have been better for the shows continuity if they hadn't made the lame "One Dialout Manually Without Energy" crap. They should have beemed up the Alpha gate with the Beta DHD. The DHD would have burned up (Made of Weaker Materials) wile the Gate survived, much easier to explain.
                        Shep: I can't hear you threatening to suck the life out of me 'til you hit the button on the radio.

Soldier (In Russian): Are you Russian spies?
                        Daniel: Niet.
                        Jack: Daniel!
                        Daniel: What? He asked if we were Russian spies and I said no........oh.
                        -1969 (221)

Comment

BTW I thought it would be great if they talked more about the Nazi's involvement with Stargate, the had the DHD and possiably Zats and Staff weapons. Hey maybe Hitler was a Goa'uld! Oh well maybe not. But still an episode about Catherine's father dieing would be great too.
                          Shep: I can't hear you threatening to suck the life out of me 'til you hit the button on the radio.

Soldier (In Russian): Are you Russian spies?
                          Daniel: Niet.
                          Jack: Daniel!
                          Daniel: What? He asked if we were Russian spies and I said no........oh.
                          -1969 (221)

Comment

Are we talking about the DHD that they borrowed from the Russian because that one kind of blew up...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                            "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                            a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

I have another question for those who remember these episodes better than I do lol- Where did the NID's DHD come from? I can't remember for the life of me... IIRC, it's NOT the Russian DHD that was recovered from the Nazis after WWII, and it's not the Antarctic one because it was dead by that point afaik.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Working...
                              X