• Show
Clear All

NASA's Space Shuttle Atlantis Moves to Vehicle Assembly Building

Jessica Rye
    Kennedy Space Center, Fla.
    (Phone: 321/867-2468)

RELEASE: 68-05

NASA's Space Shuttle Atlantis Moves to Vehicle Assembly Building

Space Shuttle Atlantis was rolled from its processing facility to the Vehicle Assembly Building at NASA's Kennedy Space Center today at 9:41 a.m. in preparation for its Return to Flight mission, STS-121.
    In the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB), Atlantis will be attached to its propulsion elements, a redesigned External Tank (ET) and twin Solid Rocket Boosters (SRBs) before being moved by a giant Crawler Transporter out to Launch Pad 39B.

"This is a tremendously exciting day for the Atlantis team," said Scott Thurston, Atlantis vehicle manager. "Everyone has worked very hard to achieve this goal, and we are looking forward to a safe Return to Flight during the September window."

Additional work on the Shuttle while it's in the VAB includes the installation of a new digital camera on Atlantis, testing of electrical and mechanical attachments between the orbiter and ET, and umbilical checks.

While in the Orbiter Processing Facility (OPF), Atlantis underwent numerous modifications in response to the Columbia accident, including the recommendations of the Columbia Accident Investigation Board. These include the addition of the new Orbiter Boom Sensor System, equipping the orbiter with cameras and laser systems to inspect the Shuttle's Thermal Protection System, or heat shield, while in space; sensors in the leading edge of the Shuttle's wings, a new safety measure that monitors the orbiter's wings for debris impacts; and a new digital camera to view the External Tank during launch.

Atlantis is targeted for liftoff during a lighted window from Sept. 9 to Sept. 25. Its mission, designated STS-121, will take Commander Steve Lindsey and six crew members to the International Space Station on the second of two test flights to check out new inspection and repair techniques, as well as deliver supplies to the Station.

Photos of the Atlantis rollover can be found online. Additional photos will be added to the page as they are available.

Click here for more photos.

For the latest information on NASA's Return to Flight efforts on the Internet, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight

- end -

Link of news Story

This is not related to Stargate and should be in off-topic.
    Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Well, yes, technically, Lord Sokar is right, but it is still cool and shouldn't stop us from talking about it, I really don't mind!

Thanks cLa, nice article, and nice pictures!

Owen Macri

Comment

This forum says science and tech. Nothing about stargate

Comment

Well, technically it says:
          "Science and Tech"
          "Analyze the science and technology of Stargate!"
          but it this is still scence and tech, plus it has the name Atlantis in it, so by a really big stretch of the imagination, it is pseudo-related to Stargate.

Going back to the topic at hand, I heard NASA is suspending all future flights untill they figure out how to stop the insulation foam from coming off again, like it did in the recent Discovery launch.

Comment

Well, technically, it is scence and technology, and I have no problem with it being here. But the categories The Briefing Room, and The Gate Room, are specified for Stargate related discussion.

Yes, NASA has to first find out what is wrong and what is causing the problems, the astronauts will stay at the space station for now.

Owen Macri

Comment

I just wanna know when we'll get a new design on the space shuttles?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter
                I just wanna know when we'll get a new design on the space shuttles?
                When congress is willing to give NASA 200 billion dollars to develop one. The next big space vehicle will probably be privately developped anyways.
                The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by helio9
                  When congress is willing to give NASA 200 billion dollars to develop one. The next big space vehicle will probably be privately developped anyways.
                  richard bransons little empire will probably make the next big space craft design, and NASA or the Russian space program or the European thing may make adjustments on the design to suit their purposes.
                  And i have no problem with this being in the Sci and Tech folder. It is stargate related, just as the Ultimate tech thread is

Comment

kindda random, pehaps it is a goauld trick to destroy the earth lol

Comment

We've seen/heard about shuttles in Stargate, therefore one could say this is Stargate related

Comment

Hey, I guess in that same way a topic about beer would belong here, too, eh?

Comment

No...nothing sciency-fiency...(yes, i know i just made those two words up!)about beer really, you just drink it...lol.

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

No...nothing sciency-fiency...(yes, i know i just made those two words up!)about beer really, you just drink it...lol.
                            ...there's nothing stargatey about this, either, it doesn't seem to sodding matter. FYI there's alot to be said about the kinds of biological and chemical processes that go into the production/consumption of beer, not the mention the physiological effects that further refernce bilogical processes. I'm almost tempted to make a thread since beer is no more or less relevant than these purposeless space shuttle topics.

Well, technically, it is scence and technology, and I have no problem with it being here.
                            Oh woah... stand aside everybody; as long you don't have a problem with it I guess my objection's meaningless.
                            Last edited by Lord §okar; 13 October 2005, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Shuttle is a Space Craft. What do we have on SG alot?
                              Space crafts!!!!
                              its alright to put it here, but the off topic wouldnt be bad either.
                              Beer, no.

Comment

Working...
                              X