PDA

View Full Version : Beachhead (906)

Pages : 1 [2]

Oma Desala
August 22nd, 2005, 12:06 AM
That does make some sense. Thanks for the reply. Well we've seen what just one Prior could do. In that one episode, the Ori had the towns people put Vala and Daniel to death. They escaped death twice in that episode. The Priors have meet SG-1 a few more times since, and did not kill them. They did plague innocent people to make a point. How come no more attempts have been made on SG-1s lives, with them not belieiving the Ori are gods?

Jonzey
August 22nd, 2005, 02:25 AM
I have some things to say about Vala. People are complaining that she didn't try hard enough to make people hear her idea. I thought this is because she wanted to do it herself anyway, to prove herself. Y'see, she has always been a bit of a loner since she was de-goa'ulded, but when she gets to the SGC she finds people who she actually likes who aren't gonna double-cross her. But unfortunately they don't really trust her after the whole Prometheus incident so she feels she has to earn it. Plus she found out about the Ori and she wants to do something to help stop them.

And I'm sure if she did get sucked into the Ori galaxy, she can take care of herself. Especially since she knows what happens if she messes up (She'll be burninated). After all, the Ori didn't know about Harrid, Sallis and that other guy investigating their past.

chocdoc
August 22nd, 2005, 06:09 AM
I don't think Vala did anything wrong. I think she did try hard enough to be heard.

The more I think about this episode the more I think that the character of Daniel was sacrificed for the plot in this episode. I was actually very surprised about Daniel's treatment of Vala after what they have gone through in the past five episodes, but particularly their emotional experiences in Avalon II and TPTB. There is no doubt for me that Vala is irritating and annoying, and she continued to be in this episode (and she is supposed to be). So, of course Daniel is still going to be frustrated. But to dismiss her like he did, and then to ignore her at the end seemed completely out of character.

Daniel of all the characters should have paid attention to Vala at the end. He knows her the best, and they have gone through a heck of alot together. It didn't seem like Daniel. To me, this is a good example of the character of Daniel being sacrificed for the plot so that Vala is portrayed as a hero.

sgatelvr
August 22nd, 2005, 07:44 AM
Emmm... why didn't the Prometheus use their Asgard transport technology, to get Vala out?
Good question. I was wondering the same thing!!

sueKay
August 22nd, 2005, 09:11 AM
[mod snip - it's OT to post about dings in the episode threads.]

thank you for your time! :D

sgatelvr
August 22nd, 2005, 09:42 AM
Just want to post something about Vala's "sacrafice" that I don't think others have considered. They were completely out of time. I think there were something like 2 or 3 blocks left to form the supergate. Vala didn't have time to try to get SG1 to listen to her AND explain what she was thinking AND actually move forward with her plan. When it became clear to her that no one was going to listen to her, she acted. As it was, she almost didn't make it. No, I don't think she was pouting or acting immature or anything like that. She realized what time constraints they were under and took action. Sometimes, SG1 talks ENTIRELY too much - this was one of those times. JMHO. ;)

Metarock Sam
August 22nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Whoa just finished watching the episode (my pcs real slow at downloading :( ) and I got to say that the ep rocked the house down.
Not only did Sam comeback in great fashion in a time where she was definatly needed. but it also had a fat goa'uld on the search of chicken and cool effects. This is so far my favourite s9 episode and I can only say that is going to get better.

Kalliope
August 22nd, 2005, 10:49 AM
Just want to post something about Vala's "sacrafice" that I don't think others have considered. They were completely out of time. I think there were something like 2 or 3 blocks left to form the supergate. Vala didn't have time to try to get SG1 to listen to her AND explain what she was thinking AND actually move forward with her plan. When it became clear to her that no one was going to listen to her, she acted. As it was, she almost didn't make it. No, I don't think she was pouting or acting immature or anything like that. She realized what time constraints they were under and took action. Sometimes, SG1 talks ENTIRELY too much - this was one of those times. JMHO. ;)

I said exactly the same in my reply to majorsal's post, I think, that they didn't have time for more debating and Vala was the only one to realize that, so she did what she did. GREEN!

Kalliope
August 22nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
[mod snip]

I didn't want to make this confession... but "Beachhead's" ending cost me too much REAL tears, believe it or not, but it's true and I can only say that I'm eternally grateful to Claudia for these emotions, to react positively to this kind of comments about Vala.

pittsburghgirl
August 22nd, 2005, 11:51 AM
I'm just happy they didn't screw Sam like they had the last two seasons. The way I interpreted the spoilers -I half expected her to take the hit for it and get blamed for it not working and for Vala disappearing.

GhostPoet
August 22nd, 2005, 12:10 PM
.....WOW....that was one of the best SG-1 episodes EVER. Oh man...edge of your seat action...

When those things were coming from the planet to form a SuperGate and it blew up one of the G'oauld ships...oh man...I actually felt like I was watching an SG-1 movie..it was so well done.

*DROOL* more please...moooooore

The scene where Mitchell is telling the Prior about the nuke was one of my favorite scenes.=)

valaCB
August 22nd, 2005, 12:15 PM
Very true, very true.
its appear that she did what she did cos people wasnt pay attention to her but you show me that she did it for the less of time they all had.
great perception :cool:

ann_sgcfan
August 22nd, 2005, 01:06 PM
The Vala character hasn't been taken seriously in the past five episodes, that’s just how the writer chose to write the character. (This is not a shot at CB or the character!) The character at times seemed shallow until recently because of lack of development. It’s just how they chose to write the character. She was always making one liners or innuendoes something Vala admitted in this episode. She always had her own agenda, like the arm bands. So it's not surprising that they didn't listen to her. Standing away from a group of people talking at once trying to solve a problem in a short amount of time is NEVER going to be heard. So the writers set up the scene so Vala could react on her own something she is very capable of doing. This also adds a dramatic conclusion to her 5 episode run.

I didn't see any fault in it. I think SG-1 reacted as they would normally. They were trying to solve a problem. In Avalon or Origin one of them when Vala and Daniel were trying to solve a puzzle she grew frustrated and just opened one of the pots causing the room to close in on them. I can understand why Daniel didn't exactly seek out her opinion, not to mention she hijacked the Prometheus. Vala’s Intel and problem solving skills haven’t had the best outcomes. I think Vala reacted the way she would have normally. She is not use to convincing a group of people her idea is worth listening to. I don't think she was too interested in getting SG-1s attention. I think she made an attempt and then just reacted on her own in a short amount of time. She ended up solving the problem and gaining some their respect for her actions. I think it was the writers attempts to redeem the character. Just MHO.

Now for the rest of the episode ... I thought it was the best episode of the season! I'm glad we had the entire team interacting with one another. I look forward to more team episodes!! I am thrilled that Sam is back!! I can't wait unitl the next episode to see how and when SG-1 will form again!

Taonas
August 22nd, 2005, 01:14 PM
This episode further reinforced that I will love this season. The Ori are shaping up to be my favourite bad guys.

However, as much as this episode brought me to love this season, I was distracted by the season finale of my current all-time favourite show, Charlie Jade. Pure masterpiece it is.

Jack Bauer
August 22nd, 2005, 01:36 PM
They said that Vala's matter stream may have been sent to the Ori galaxy. But how is that possible? The huge Stargate wasn't activated, so how did she go there?

warmbeachbrat
August 22nd, 2005, 01:41 PM
They said that Vala's matter stream may have been sent to the Ori galaxy. But how is that possible? The huge Stargate wasn't activated, so how did she go there?

Well, but wasn't the regular stargate still active? I mean, that's how the components of the supergate got here. They would still have to keep it open until they got their supergate working, wouldn't they?

Of course, then doesn't a wormhole only work one way--if it's open FROM there how can Vala's matter stream GO there? Oh, those wacky Ori--screwing up wormhole physics! :p

I give up--I haven't a clue!

joasia
August 22nd, 2005, 01:50 PM
Just a thougth... If Vala is still alive why did Daniel collapse just seconds after the Supergate has been destroyed? He and Vala could not have been separated for more then 10 minutes then. I see 3 possibilities: Vala died and the reaction for her death is much quicker then for simple going too far away
She is in the Ori galaxy and the distance is so great that the field treats it like her death
She is falling into the singularity and the field treats it as her death... (for a moment I have thought about the time disortion but it would work the other way, i.e. for her the time would run slower.)

ChillinTheMost
August 22nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
I’ve seen a few posts where people have said that Mitchell gave the Prior 30 minutes so that Daniel would have time to talk. That is not why Mitchell said 30 minutes. They could only go through the force field when it was growing because it was weaker during the growing phase. Sam told them that if they didn't get out in 16 [?] seconds [during the current growth phase] that they would have to wait 30 minutes for the next growth phase. Obviously, the 16 seconds wasn't enough time to give a warning, so Mitchell told the Prior that he had 30 minutes for them to turn off the bomb [before they were able to exit]. I do think he hoped Daniel would help occupy that 30 minutes with a nice speech, so he was disappointed that now they had almost 30 to kill, but the 30 minutes was ordained by the growth spurts of the force field. Then when the Jaffa fired on the force field, the energy in their weapons made the growth phase come earlier and they could leave earlier, because, again, growth spurt = weaker force field = exit door.

Anyway, I loved this episode. The one scene that bothered me a bit was the one debated here recently about the gang not listening to Vala when they were trying to decide what to do. And what bothered me isn't what bothered most people. It was the line that Daniel used to not listen to her. He interrupts her with "The next idea will have to be something really out of the box." Huh? People are trying to come up with ideas and this is your helpful hint? Trying to get some use out of that "Corporate Buzzwords For Dummies" book you got from your Secret Santa? It just seemed so out of place and poor writing. Give him an idea to throw out there. Even a bad idea would work to interrupt and make Vala just take action in frustration. That's all the writers were trying to accomplish anyway: getting Vala to do something that the others probably wouldn't let her do without discussing and analyzing it.

But, like I said, I loved it. Season 9 is moving on nicely for me. Welcome back, Sam!

I hope to see more team interaction.

Some great lines this episode. [paraphasing, I don't have it memorized]
"What's with the extra backup singer?"
"30 'Earth Minutes'"
Seedless grapes are a "state secret" and chicken is a delicacy.
"You need a new wingman."
"Shaft." "Camshaft." "Disappointing, isn't it?"
"...plus, we figured if Jackson were to..." "die" "Yeah, that's the word. Die. ...It would jeopardize the mission."

Platschu
August 22nd, 2005, 02:56 PM
Where was the Asgard Kvasir? It seems that they have cut out his scenes.

Klems
August 22nd, 2005, 02:58 PM
After this episode, I began to think about ways to combat the Ori, or at least slow them down. We know that the Ori use the Stargate as their platform to spread the "Origen" and send in Priors, so what happens if we take that option away? We already know that we can target Stargates and systematically shut them down using the Avenger program, so why can't we do that again? We can target only the 'Gates that already have known Priors, and the ones that are closest to the Ori galaxy. Just a thought, but I think that might be the only way to contain the growth of the Ori religion.

AGateFan
August 22nd, 2005, 03:12 PM
I have some things to say about Vala. People are complaining that she didn't try hard enough to make people hear her idea. I thought this is because she wanted to do it herself anyway, to prove herself. Y'see, she has always been a bit of a loner since she was de-goa'ulded, but when she gets to the SGC she finds people who she actually likes who aren't gonna double-cross her. But unfortunately they don't really trust her after the whole Prometheus incident so she feels she has to earn it. Plus she found out about the Ori and she wants to do something to help stop them.

And I'm sure if she did get sucked into the Ori galaxy, she can take care of herself. Especially since she knows what happens if she messes up (She'll be burninated). After all, the Ori didn't know about Harrid, Sallis and that other guy investigating their past.
This rings true to me. Vala had made comments about not being part of the club and she was looking like she felt left out and no one was taking her seriously (because, well they werent). This attitude was a marked change from the beginning of the ep when she was playing Bball with the guys and was looking (and probably felt) like part of the team.

So Vala trying to be part of the team came up with what she felt was the best solution, made a half-hearted attempt to tell the others, got shutdown harshly by Daniel and then copped the "I'll show you" attitude. She even basically said "I'll show you" with her you will thank me when I get back type statement.

To me she seemed to have 2 modivations for her actions.
1) Fear of the Ori actually getting a fleet here. I think the events of Avalon II, Origin and TPTB really instilled some fear of the Ori in her. Her entire body language changed right after they figured out the Ori were building a gate and Teal'c said the thing about the armada. Up until then I think she was thinking the Ori were just going to bring a bunch of guys through and there would be plenty of time for her to do what she needed to do to keep out of the Ori's way. The armada changes things as the Ori's victory would then be swift. Basically she was out of time, retreat no longer appeared to be an option so she started thinking offensivly.

2) It appeared to me she liked being part of a team at the beginning of the show. She was playing a team sport, using team work, tried to answer questions about the Goa'uld like she was part of the team. However, pretty much the whole ep after the basketball game no one treated her like part of the team. They pretty much treated her like a tag along (well because, basically thats how they saw her). I think she didnt like being seen as a tag along (who would). I think she felt the need to prove to the others, specifically Daniel, that she is not just some tag a long but someone who has somthing to contribute to the team.

She is obviously not someone who has worked with a team alot so she wasnt familiar with how a team operates when it comes brainstorming so when she got shot down on her first statement she just went ahead and went with her plan which, fortunatly, worked. Of course there may have been other possible solutions. If Vala could have stated her plan then the team may have come up with a better plan that caused no one to seemingly die. Or maybe someone would have thought about the asgard transporters. But thats not what happened. She is clearly someone who is simply used to doing and not thinking. Note this is not an insult some people like Daniel, Sam, Weir think things through (sometimes too much), some people like Vala, Jack and Sheppard just do things without thinking, they go on instinct (sometimes with bad consequences). Both types of people are equally valuable and each type of people make their mistakes.

So basically Vala wanted to stop the Ori from getting to this galaxy AND prove herself to the team. To do this she fell back on what she knew and trusted best, her own instincts. Now she is trapped with nothing but those instincts. Hopefully those instincts and the fear of the Ori will be enough to keep her out of the Ori's grasp. If she does come back to the show I would prefer she come back a wiser verison of herself not as a Prior. So far TPTB havent really ruined any of the guest characters (execpt by killing them) so hopefully they will not ruin this one but make her better then what she was and make her a valuable recurring character just like our Sainted Fraiser, Jacob, Bra’tec and Martouf (poor Martouf, his time with us was too short).

Kalliope
August 22nd, 2005, 03:35 PM
Brilliant analysis. In TV Zone Special #64 Michael Shanks said that Claudia brought a lot of ideas to the table, I'd love to find out what kind of ideas they were, so hopefully WHEN she's available for more eps, she's going to bring even more ideas for Vala's character :)

warmbeachbrat
August 22nd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer
They said that Vala's matter stream may have been sent to the Ori galaxy. But how is that possible? The huge Stargate wasn't activated, so how did she go there? end Quote by Jack Bauer

Well, but wasn't the regular stargate still active? I mean, that's how the components of the supergate got here. They would still have to keep it open until they got their supergate working, wouldn't they?

Of course, then doesn't a wormhole only work one way--if it's open FROM there how can Vala's matter stream GO there? Oh, those wacky Ori--screwing up wormhole physics! :p

I give up--I haven't a clue!

Wait a minute! I gave it some more thought (dangerous, I know) and I think I might have a theory (maybe, perhaps, possibly). Maybe after they sent all those things through to build the supergate, they shut it down from their end and reopened it from this end in order to be ready for the supergate to connect via the singularity--then it would be open the right way for the Vala stream to make it to the Ori galaxy. Yes? Maybe? Perhaps?

Baloo
August 22nd, 2005, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=ocalacam]I can't believe no one's yet mentioned Mitchell's "You have 30 of our 'Earth' minutes..." and Daniel's awesome reaction to it. Was Mitchell's comment and Daniel's reaction to it ad-libbed or written that way? Either way, awesome scene.

My first post here. I just could not resist a reply :)

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought that WHOLE space suit scene was the best one of the ep and season. I keep watching that one over and over :)

the fifth man
August 22nd, 2005, 07:24 PM
Glad to see so many others enjoyed the episode like I did. I think things are just starting to heat up, and can't wait for this friday.

w1cket01
August 22nd, 2005, 10:27 PM
I enjoyed this episode but something about Carter felt out of sync with the rest of the episode. I'm not sure what about it bothered me.

1DanielForMe
August 23rd, 2005, 04:45 AM
I think Sam just needs to get back on her SG-1 feet, as it were.

Anyway, this may be my favourite 9th season episode so far. Who would have thought I could feel bad about Vala being gone? I mean, just when she's actually become likeable? TPTB are shrewd!

Incidentally, I loved the shot with Daniel, Teal'c, Cameron, and Sam walking through the Stargate together. That was too groovy! :cool:

My favourite part, though, was at the very end, when after Daniel learns Vala is likely still alive, wreaking havoc on the Orii home world, he gives that little hint of a smile. *sighs* What a perfect way to end the episode!

ChillinTheMost
August 23rd, 2005, 05:25 AM
I think it might be Amanda that has to get back on her feet.

She was gone for the filming of 5 episodes that featured a few new players. The players she had worked with for years formed bonds with the new players and I'm sure there were some changes around the workplace. Nothing wrong with any of this, it's pretty natural for it to have happened, especially with at least 5 brand new people wandering about the set.

Amanda returns after some pretty amazing changes in her personal life to changes in the workplace and it probably will take a few weeks for her to adjust. Again, nothing wrong with that and Amanda seems like a bright and adaptable lady, so I expect her to fit right in soon - and I imagine everyone is trying to help that along.

I think it's natural for Amanda to take a week or so to get back into the swing of things. We have to remember that the rest of group has already had 5 weeks to gel.

Jack Bauer
August 23rd, 2005, 05:37 AM
Wait a minute! I gave it some more thought (dangerous, I know) and I think I might have a theory (maybe, perhaps, possibly). Maybe after they sent all those things through to build the supergate, they shut it down from their end and reopened it from this end in order to be ready for the supergate to connect via the singularity--then it would be open the right way for the Vala stream to make it to the Ori galaxy. Yes? Maybe? Perhaps?

Sounds like a good theory. Perhaps Carter will come up with some nice techno babble explaining it. I really hope Vala's still alive, she's great.

lily
August 23rd, 2005, 10:38 AM
I had some time to type this. Finally!
I haven't read other people's comments yet. Just posting mine.

Great episode!

Sam's back! WOOHOO!!! I soooooooooo missed her! Don't get me wrong, I like Vala a lot. I happen to like Sam a lot too. I want Sam as a regular in every episode. I'm not so sure yet I would like Vala as a regular. Right now I'd like Vala as a recurring character, coming back from time to time, and I hope we see her at least in one more episode in the second half of this season, but I wouldn't want to see Vala in every single episode of any season just yet, in the same way that I wouldn't want to see Jacob, Bra'tac and others in every single episode. I like all of them as recurring characters, not as regulars. The same happens with Vala for me. At least for now.

Some "Beachhead" highlights:

1.- The basketball scene. I think we saw a bit of this in the Inside Sci Fi Friday special, and I thought it was a behind the scenes thing. Nice to see it was an actual scene.

2.- When Nerus arrives at the SGC, and he got them wrong (thinking Mitchell was O'Neill, Vala was Carter, etc). LOL

3.- When Nerus started talking normal and said that they don't have to talk that way (i.e. with that weird voice)

4.- Landry talking with Jack on the phone, and Sam appearing out of the blue. I could almost picture Jack's face when Landry says " She's standing right here. You're a very funny man, Jack. Very funny". :D

5.- Sam's back. Woohoo! Missed her and her technobabble sooooooo much.

6.- Aaaahhhh. We now know about Cameron's call sign. Hehehehehe

7.- The planet's force field and the super stargate. Very cool!

8.- The scene where Daniel, Cameron, Teal'c and Vala are in the planet's surface in space suits talking to the Prior

9.- Prior: "Dead is only the beginning of the real journey"
Daniel: "Sounds familiar"
LOL

10.- Landry telling Nerus that he would be locked up at Area 51 and face hunger until he came up with a defense
against the Ori.

11.- Daniel's smile when Sam confirms it's possible Vala's still alive.

Standback
August 23rd, 2005, 05:43 PM
What struck me full-on during "Beachhead" (and in "The Powers That Be") is that we're going to need some major plot twist for the SGC to be able to do anything against the Ori.

The Ori, as has been stressed quite nicely, are nothing like the Goa'uld. The Ori aren't false gods - they're real gods. They may not be entirely omnipotent, and they're not gods we would choose to follow or worship - but they're pretty darned powerful, and these powers aren't technological in nature - they're mystical, metaphysical. Does the SGC have any way to fight magic? I don't think they do.

We saw this with the disease no technology or medicine could cure last week, and the forcefield no weapon could breach this week. When a god, a real god, or an entity similar enough as to make no difference, makes a forcefield-bubble, you can't shut it down by emitting the right radio frequency or by destroying the generator - there is no frequency, there is no generator. There's just, y'know, god.

So how can SG1 fight the Ori? Technology is little to no use. Debate has so far remained an utter dead end ("Killing people who don't agree with you is wrong!" "No it's not, because, we can."). What's left?

If the Ancients don't step in soon and take a more active part, I really have no idea how they're going to pull this off.

(SG1: Ascended! Just imagine it! "Listen, General, we took care of the Prior on P4X-5Z22, but he interrupted our contemplating the nature of the universe and stuff, which really sucks, y'know?")

SunKrux
August 23rd, 2005, 06:56 PM

*looks around for the clapping smiley...wonders off and finds her own
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_55.gif

Thank you! That's what I said...many, many posts ago. ;) It bears repeating. :D

jckfan55
August 23rd, 2005, 07:13 PM
I enjoyed this episode but something about Carter felt out of sync with the rest of the episode. I'm not sure what about it bothered me.
I read her slightly aloof(?) behavior as related to the fact that Carter doesn't know she'll be rejoining SG1. For all she knows this is a one shot assignment she's been ordered to work on. First, no time to get all chummy given the emergency and also if you'll be leaving again right away you probably wouldn't get too comfortable.

Contondant
August 23rd, 2005, 07:50 PM
If someone else has already mentioned this, sorry, I just quickly perused the 12+ pages ahead of this one...

I loved this episode UNTIL the very end. How in the name of God can the SG1 team joke and laugh about Vala having been sent off to the Ori's galaxy?!? And if that's not the case, then she's already dead (unless there happen to be Goa'ould transport rings sitting conveniently in a far, far galaxy which can randomly pick a matter stream out of the air and reintegrate it!), which seems far more likely. And they belittle her dying by making jokes about how annoying she is and how much of a burden she WOULD be in the Ori's galaxy. AND they do this after she gave her life in the very act of saving the entire milky way, including SG1 thankless hides, whilst they did nothing. Are we to believe that when SG1 saves the Earth or the Jaffa, their praises are sung across the galaxy by all, but when one woman saves everybody, they gest? Either way, this smacks of extremely poor moral judgement on the part of the writing team.

And on the subject of terrible moral judgement in the episode writing, this seems to be becoming a trend in the SG universe:
Atlantis' last two episodes end on very questionable notes.

**Possible spoilers**
-Condemed- has the Atlantis team deciding to "condemn" the population of an entire planet, ALL of whom are innocent, to a fate worse than death and that one thing of which they are all terrified. And they do so in order to allow a campfull of prisoners, or which a sizable portion are actual convicted criminals, to escape.
-Trinity- shows us that even if McKay has gotten the entire Atlantis team out of pretty much EVERY pickle they ever got into which could be solved instead of fought out of, one false step on his part merits him a complete loss of trust on behalf of Sheppard. McKay was right in this episode. He has earned their trust and they owe his their lives over and over. Sheppard, being intelligent should realize the scope of their whole mission, not just one mistake.

I'm hoping the writers start writing some humanity into our human heroes.

My 0.02$.

Hybridbabe
August 23rd, 2005, 07:55 PM
I wrote this in another thread, but I'll cross-post it here; It's my idea of how Vala could survive.

The "Dogs with One Bone" Theory:

The Ori had a stable blackhole on their end (Dog 1) that exerts a force and pulls things into it. They tried to create a similar blackhole (Dog 2) in our galaxy. To establish a wormhole and keep it open, they had to create two holes of equal force.

Before it collapsed, the hole in our backyard was stable for a few seconds, creating a bridge/connection between the two (the bone).

In Atlantis's "Letters from Pegasus" McKay theorized and proved that data could be sent from one wormhole to another in a matter of seconds. He even chopped down the time it took for the same amount of data: originally he thought 1.3, but he accomplished it in .3 seconds.

Also, the time it takes for a person to dematerialize/materialize from one gate to anotheri s directly proportionate to its mass and the power of the gates themselves.

Ergo, BIG gate + Infinite power + relatively small mass (in comparison) = takes a FRELLING SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME to accomplish the trip.

Vala's pretty much guaranteed to be alive. Physics prove it. YAY!

Does this sound plausible to you guys? Do you think this might work?

Kalliope
August 24th, 2005, 12:56 AM
If someone else has already mentioned this, sorry, I just quickly perused the 12+ pages ahead of this one...

I loved this episode UNTIL the very end. How in the name of God can the SG1 team joke and laugh about Vala having been sent off to the Ori's galaxy?!? And if that's not the case, then she's already dead (unless there happen to be Goa'ould transport rings sitting conveniently in a far, far galaxy which can randomly pick a matter stream out of the air and reintegrate it!), which seems far more likely. And they belittle her dying by making jokes about how annoying she is and how much of a burden she WOULD be in the Ori's galaxy. AND they do this after she gave her life in the very act of saving the entire milky way, including SG1 thankless hides, whilst they did nothing. Are we to believe that when SG1 saves the Earth or the Jaffa, their praises are sung across the galaxy by all, but when one woman saves everybody, they gest? Either way, this smacks of extremely poor moral judgement on the part of the writing team.

I'm hoping the writers start writing some humanity into our human heroes.

Exactly. And I really hope they (Daniel, Mitchell, Sam) will have the courage to admit publicly that they were so wrong about Vala and apologise to her.

Tok'Ra Hostess
August 24th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Exactly. And I really hope they (Daniel, Mitchell, Sam) will have the courage to admit publicly that they were so wrong about Vala and apologise to her.

Uh... first off, Sam needs to apologize because...? :S

As for Mitchell, he'd have to apologize because...? :S

Now Daniel of course, he'd have to apologize... because... because... he interrupted her? :rolleyes:

The boys weren't wrong about Vala; she went away the same person that she was when she arrived, IMO. That is precisely why everyone was smiling in the infirmary scene where everyone was showing due concern for Vala.

But there is more to those smiles than just their knowledge of Vala's character.

What Sam told the boys(the fact that she even gave them this faint flicker of hope speaks reams about how Sam felt) and how they reacted to it can actually be seen as "Vala has officially joined the stargating club." She's one of us, now. These weren't smirks of "good riddance" but smiles for a lost comrade who took one for the team and who is hopefully still giving the bad guys grief.

In this the gang's reaction reminds me of how Jack treated Mayborne in the end scene of Threshold, calling him Harry and inviting him to come back and work with them soon.

Tok'Ra Hostess
August 24th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Vala's pretty much guaranteed to be alive. Physics prove it. YAY!

Hourah for physics! :)

Boo for the Ori! :mad:

Vala Vala, she's our gal
If she don't screw them no one shall! :D

TheGreatLordGeorge
August 24th, 2005, 06:19 AM
okay, in beachead when the pieces of the super gate came into orbit some crashed with the hataksand were destroyed, so how were they able to still make the gate (all pieces were locked in except the on that Vala beat to the spot) so what happened?

Maekas
August 24th, 2005, 06:24 AM
okay, in beachead when the pieces of the super gate came into orbit some crashed with the hataksand were destroyed, so how were they able to still make the gate (all pieces were locked in except the on that Vala beat to the spot) so what happened?
The pieces of the supergate weren't destroyed. They collided the Ha'tak and stayed intact.

ChillinTheMost
August 24th, 2005, 07:02 AM

Now Daniel of course, he'd have to apologize... because... because... he interrupted her? :rolleyes:

The boys weren't wrong about Vala; she went away the same person that she was when she arrived, IMO. That is precisely why everyone was smiling in the infirmary scene where everyone was showing due concern for Vala.

But there is more to those smiles than just their knowledge of Vala's character.

What Sam told the boys(the fact that she even gave them this faint flicker of hope speaks reams about how Sam felt) and how they reacted to it can actually be seen as "Vala has officially joined the stargating club." She's one of us, now. These weren't smirks of "good riddance" but smiles for a lost comrade who took one for the team and who is hopefully still giving the bad guys grief.

In this the gang's reaction reminds me of how Jack treated Mayborne in the end scene of Threshold, calling him Harry and inviting him to come back and work with them soon.

I totally agree. They WERE upset about Vala, nobody smiled that I remember UNTIL Sam said that she thought Vala was still alive and gave them a scientific reason to believe it. Sam gave them hope and that gave them the image of Vala doing what she does best: Surviving and kicking some asses while doing it. If anything, the crew is happy that they have an ally on the inside, so to speak. They can't mount a rescue mission because they haven't a clue where, in the vast Orii universe, she is, but I'm sure they'll be keeping an ear and an eye out for her.

greytop
August 24th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Did anyone notice the guys were playing basketball in boots?

ann_sgcfan
August 24th, 2005, 08:28 AM

Yes I agree why would Mitchell, Daniel, Teal'c or Sam need to apologize to Vala?? :S They all smiled at the thought of Vala causing havoc in the Ori galaxy. They are assuming she is alive. That is how I saw the scene. No apology necessary.

TheCorpulent1
August 24th, 2005, 09:48 AM
It didn't look like the individual components were destroyed when the Supergate itself was destroyed, either. Which begs the question: Wouldn't Carter notice that those giant components--which are hard enough to destroy a shielded hatak in a collision and stay undamaged--are going to continue flying through space and possibly end up crashing into an inhabited planet or something? Those things could do a lot of damage, but everyone seemed content to let them float off into space at pretty high speeds.

Phil
August 24th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I didn't notice that the objects flyed to the space.They only clubbed together and when Vala destroyed them, they exploded.I'm wrong?

Skydiver
August 24th, 2005, 10:48 AM
just a reminder to folks, even though this is the season 9 area of the forum, when starting topics that discuss a major plot point in an episode, please put that episode name in the title of the thread

some folks haven't seen all the new eps yet and don't want to be spoiled

tomchris45
August 24th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Maybe they were shielded, after all after the explosion they looked kinda dead, with no glowy bit. So any shields may have failed.

illuminarok
August 24th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I didn't notice that the objects flyed to the space.They only clubbed together and when Vala destroyed them, they exploded.I'm wrong?

http://tinypic.com/autc8w.jpg

This is as good as I can do - it looks like they ARE still intact, but it's kind of hard to tell.

SunKrux
August 24th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Hourah for physics! :)

Boo for the Ori! :mad:

Vala Vala, she's our gal
If she don't screw them no one shall! :D

Right on!!

I think the team were a bit rude to her on Promethous, but when they finally realized WHAT she was about to do...I think they all changed their tunes about her. Someone in this thread likened Vala's actions to that of O'Neill - you know, shoot first, ask questions later. That's what Vala did...she decided that given the many times she tried to get their attention (and they weren't having it) she did the only thing she could do, she took action as time was QUICKLY running out, for all of them. So, off she ran, snurched that hiddened Jaffa ship (how'd she know it's coordinates? sneaky gal Vala. :D ) and kept that massive Gate from being formed. Bet that pissed the Ori off no end. LOL

IF any apologizes are in order, I think it would be for the rude manner in which Daniel effectively shut her up (Little less talking, more shut the hell up comment comes to mind). The others...I'm not really seeing a need for them to apologize to her, especially Sam. Sam didn't really say much to Vala (too bad for some fans, like me...wanted to see them work togehter, Sam & Vala).

I have no doubt that we'll see Vala again...hopefully before the end of the season (*crosses her fingers that Claudia's schedule will permit this). :D

Eoin
August 24th, 2005, 12:55 PM
thats before the blast wave hots them, for all we know the blast wave detroyed them.

Stupid Ori think their brilliant cause they can make a giant gate.
Bet they were p*ssed when vala destroyed it :p

TheCorpulent1
August 24th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Did anyone notice the guys were playing basketball in boots?
It's 'cause they're the Air Force. They don't need to care about the floor of their basketball court, the government'll just buy 'em a new one. :p

pittsburghgirl
August 24th, 2005, 02:19 PM
i think we need to give Daniel the benefit of the doubt as far aas his comment to vala-about talking less and shutting up more-i think that he was frustrated-tired-worried-not to say that no-one else wasn't feeling the same-but face it-vala had her irritating moments-and Daniel's character-at least from my perspective likes things to be orderly-and Vala was not that orderly.

Jace021903
August 24th, 2005, 03:00 PM
I need a moment for Vala. (sniff)

I think she will be back, but I will miss her in the meantime.

The episode itself was an OK one. I think the team will need a couple of episodes to gel. The interactions seemed a bit off to me.

Good to see Sam, but she didn't have much to do.

Daniel seemed quite rude at times :eek: but I suppose that dealing with Vala was wearing him down.

The Goa'uld was very silly (almost too much so) until the end. And it's official, I "heart" Landry. :)

Jace

Contondant
August 24th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Ok, about Vala being alive in the Ori galaxy:
Everybody is concerned for Jackson, and with cause, but the first to mention anything about the person who, at this point, actually is presumed dead is Teal'c when he says "Vala will be mourned (spl?)" In the next scene, the camera focuses in on Daniel and you can clearly see him roll his eyes up and left. He's rolling his eyes at the thought of Vala being dead and honoured! Next to speak up is Carter who interjects her way-out-there theory that Vala may in fact be alive but living an existence worse than death. She's been sent to the Ori's galaxy. How is this worse? Well, the entire galaxy worships the Ori for one so she won't last long before being noticed. Then, the last time she visited this little corner of the universe she was burned alive, not once but twice. Finally, as she's sure to be discovered (that is, if she doesn't rematerialize in the dead vacuum of space), the Ori will probably forgo the burning alive thing and torture her for information in a very evil-god way.
The response to Carter's theory is a wide smile on everyone's face, and you might think it's because of their glee at Vala being alive, but then someone interjects the phrase about "wanting to sent the Ori a message", showing that they are actually rediculing Vala's tendency to annoy by basically saying she'd be a bad thing for the Ori.

AGateFan
August 24th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Ok, about Vala being alive in the Ori galaxy:
Everybody is concerned for Jackson, and with cause, but the first to mention anything about the person who, at this point, actually is presumed dead is Teal'c when he says "Vala will be mourned (spl?)" In the next scene, the camera focuses in on Daniel and you can clearly see him roll his eyes up and left. He's rolling his eyes at the thought of Vala being dead and honoured! Next to speak up is Carter who interjects her way-out-there theory that Vala may in fact be alive but living an existence worse than death. She's been sent to the Ori's galaxy. How is this worse? Well, the entire galaxy worships the Ori for one so she won't last long before being noticed. Then, the last time she visited this little corner of the universe she was burned alive, not once but twice. Finally, as she's sure to be discovered (that is, if she doesn't rematerialize in the dead vacuum of space), the Ori will probably forgo the burning alive thing and torture her for information in a very evil-god way.
The response to Carter's theory is a wide smile on everyone's face, and you might think it's because of their glee at Vala being alive, but then someone interjects the phrase about "wanting to sent the Ori a message", showing that they are actually rediculing Vala's tendency to annoy by basically saying she'd be a bad thing for the Ori.

So because one village on one planet all worship the Ori that means the entire galaxy worships the Ori? I mean this may be true but it also may not be true. There may be dissenters, they may have their own version of the Tauri out there fighting or Hiding from the Ori. I mean we know of at least 3 people that were against the Ori so I am guessing there is more. I’m just saying....

And no one was happy or glad Vala was gone. Daniel rolled his eyes in frustration, he looked frustrated to me, he’s rolled his eyes in frustration at something Jack has said in the past, so now he rolled his eyes in frustration to something teal'c had said.

Why did they smile at the end? Well 1 minute they think Vala's dead, the next minute they start thinking she’s alive and they start thinking about the hell she would give anyone that got in her way and so they smiled. BTW back in season 2 when they thought Daniel died, they had a party, PARTY. Because sometimes the best way to remember someone is not to cry but to laugh. I know when I die I want my family to look on the times with me and remember the good stuff and smile and laugh. I don’t want anyone wasting time crying... cant imagine Vala would either, doesn’t seem like the crying type, choke up a bit sometimes maybe but not out and out balling (unless it suits her purposes that is ;) ).

Tok'Ra Hostess
August 24th, 2005, 06:04 PM
... In the next scene, the camera focuses in on Daniel and you can clearly see him roll his eyes up and left. He's rolling his eyes at the thought of Vala being dead and honoured!

So, you think that was all in the script; that Brad Wright wrote the gang as ridiculing Vala and Brad Turner directed Daniel to roll his eyes at the thought of Vala being honored?

Okay, if you say so.... :S

esoap524
August 24th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Why did they smile at the end? Well 1 minute they think Vala's dead, the next minute they start thinking she’s alive and they start thinking about the hell she would give anyone that got in her way and so they smiled. BTW back in season 2 when they thought Daniel died, they had a party, PARTY. Because sometimes the best way to remember someone is not to cry but to laugh. I know when I die I want my family to look on the times with me and remember the good stuff and smile and laugh. I don’t want anyone wasting time crying... cant imagine Vala would either, doesn’t seem like the crying type, choke up a bit sometimes maybe but not out and out balling (unless it suits her purposes that is ;) ).

I got that same take on it too. I didn't get any glee out of anyone, more like hopeful "give 'em hell, Vala". Like you say, when you lose someone, you try to remember the good times. Plus, none of the team strikes me as being prone to histrionics.

I, on the other hand, was having a king sized cry fest--NO MORE VALA!! LOL. Just kidding. I don't like to cry either.

Either way, I don't think super strong emotion is something you see from any of the characters. It seems that way to me, anyway.

ETA: I've only seen the episode once but is it possible that Daniel's rolling his eyes at Sam's theory? It is sort of far-fetched and eye-roll worthy (although it's probably true).

Daniel's shadow
August 24th, 2005, 10:17 PM
I got that same take on it too. I didn't get any glee out of anyone, more like hopeful "give 'em hell, Vala". Like you say, when you lose someone, you try to remember the good times. Plus, none of the team strikes me as being prone to histrionics.

I, on the other hand, was having a king sized cry fest--NO MORE VALA!! LOL. Just kidding. I don't like to cry either.

Either way, I don't think super strong emotion is something you see from any of the characters. It seems that way to me, anyway.

ETA: I've only seen the episode once but is it possible that Daniel's rolling his eyes at Sam's theory? It is sort of far-fetched and eye-roll worthy (although it's probably true).

I agree with what you say.
Also the way I see it Daniel did not actually roll his eyes when he heard Teal said about Vala being mourned. In fact the reaction I saw was an immediate total shut down and closing up of emotions by Daniel. It was only when Sam mention that there is a chance that Vala might be alive that Daniel starts taking interest in what his friends are saying. As for the smiles it was like "The Orii will not know what hit them".

davsoft
August 25th, 2005, 05:37 AM
I wish they kept Vala. With her condition she wouldn't have been able to be on SG-1 or any active SG team, but it would have been interesting to see her continued interaction with Daniel and maybe later a real relationship... Thanks,

David

MagnoliaAnaglypta
August 25th, 2005, 10:16 AM
i think we need to give Daniel the benefit of the doubt as far aas his comment to vala-about talking less and shutting up more-i think that he was frustrated-tired-worried-not to say that no-one else wasn't feeling the same-but face it-vala had her irritating moments-and Daniel's character-at least from my perspective likes things to be orderly-and Vala was not that orderly.

Besides which, Vala, in her previous sentence, had just reminded him that she'd stolen the ship, and called him 'darling', both of which much really have been grating on his nerves.

I don't blame him in the slightest for a snarky comeback given what she'd just said to him.

valaCB
August 25th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Besides which, Vala, in her previous sentence, had just reminded him that she'd stolen the ship, and called him 'darling', both of which much really have been grating on his nerves.

I don't blame him in the slightest for a snarky comeback given what she'd just said to him.

If you want to understand Daniel attitude to Vala. read THIS THREAD (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=16127)

Bobthespirit
August 25th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Bah..just goes to figure. The first episode this season I have almost all positive things to say, and I'm on vacation. First five, I'm just at home lazing around and my blastings show up on the first page. Next one....

Well, I really liked this episode. It *finally* showed a much needed chink in the Ori armor. I still think they made them too powerful though. Next we need the team to find a way around the pyrors' ridiculous jedi powers.

I like how Vala was made sympathetic and credible, too. And I loved the line 'Not everything I say is innuendo!' This episode gives this season hope that I didn't see in the first four. And now Sam's back too, and the jaffa plotline is becoming really interesting.

And they were careful enough to make it so the Ori can't just arbitrarily do that again whenever they feel like it.

Standback
August 27th, 2005, 01:32 PM
And they were careful enough to make it so the Ori can't just arbitrarily do that again whenever they feel like it.
I'm not even sure about that. All they need to do is send through a Prior AND a really big bomb. Is that so difficult?

smurf
August 28th, 2005, 04:37 AM
I'm not even sure about that. All they need to do is send through a Prior AND a really big bomb. Is that so difficult?
If it get's in the way of the plot, then yes. Building an army and spaceships is much, much easier. ;)

Anyone notice, given the fuss made in Meridian, what we (Earth) did end up using the naquadria for? :rolleyes:

alterran1
September 2nd, 2005, 11:36 AM
ok... i was just on holiday and have finally got aroung to watchig Beachead.

first of all let me say I HATE the fact that they have now changed the Goa'uld into comic relief i mean that fat guy was no goa'ul, did the team actually check him for a symbiote?

also when he said that "the ORI are the closest things to god" surely the goa'uld who have been masquarading as gods all that time would know that although they are powerful... it doesn't give them god-like status.

that being said i love season two of Atlantis and season nine of SG1, but i do like Atlantis more this season.

hopefully Cliff simon (Baal) will potray the goa'uld better

Qasim
September 2nd, 2005, 11:40 AM
There is a Beachhead discussion thread here http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=14673

valaCB
September 3rd, 2005, 09:24 AM
And how is reading other peoples *opinions* going to increase MY *Understanding*?

I watch the show. I have formed an opinion based on what I have seen. Why should I be 'not understanding' something that other people have understood better, in your opinion.

Please don't be so darn patronising.
relax :rolleyes:
by reading others opinions, you can get more ideas on the subject. that's what i do, that's how i learn about stuf.

just want to be friendly... GOD! :eek:

TheCorpulent1
September 3rd, 2005, 11:33 AM
first of all let me say I HATE the fact that they have now changed the Goa'uld into comic relief i mean that fat guy was no goa'ul, did the team actually check him for a symbiote?

also when he said that "the ORI are the closest things to god" surely the goa'uld who have been masquarading as gods all that time would know that although they are powerful... it doesn't give them god-like status.
Uh... yeah. Which is why he very clearly stated that they were the "closest things" to gods, not actually gods. He knows they're just highly advanced aliens, but he doesn't care. His aim in following them was to attain as much personal power for himself as he could, and if the Ori were willing to help him ascend, well, that'd be a hell of a lot of power he'd be getting. As far as I'm concerned, he was more than suitably self-centered in his motivations for helping the Ori in true Goa'uld fashion.

As for the comedy relief thing, I didn't mind. It's nice to see a Goa'uld who isn't so incredibly over-the-top eeeeeevil every once in a while. Goa'uld like Heru'ur and Sokar become comic relief to me just because they're so arch that they become goofy. Nerus was fun and more complex than your average Goa'uld all at once, since he was actually quite sinister but he hid it behind such an irreverent facade that it's hard to suspect he could hurt a fly. He's the kind of guy who seems like he'd lull you into a false sense of security and then stab you in the back. He's no less evil than the guy who makes it known that he hates you, and he'd probably have an easier time of killing you since your guard would be down.

Liam Kincaid
September 3rd, 2005, 08:16 PM
Why would someone like Nerus be interested in ascending? When you ascend, you give up all things physical, and it seems that Nerus only exists for physical pleasure.

Daniel's_twin
September 3rd, 2005, 09:18 PM
He's still a Goa'uld, and as Teal'c would point out, "All Goa'uld desire personal power." I think Ascending would qualify. :cool:

Simhavaktra
September 6th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Since the Asgard beaming technology, even Goa’uld built knockoffs of the Asgard beaming technology a la Endgame, is apparently more than capable of beaming stargates, I’m wondering what would have happened if someone had hit on the bright idea of trying to beam the Gate out of the forcefield:

Prior: “And when I die, I will Ascend! It is the promise – “

(Stargate vanishes in a flash of white light)

Prior: ::gapes, jaw a-dangle, while clunky staff of office drops from apparently nerveless fingers::

Vala: “Boy, all the secrets of the universe couldn’t see that one coming, eh? So, do you get burnt to a crust and laid in the dust now, or do you just stand there and look ridiculous while you die of asphyxiation in this poisonous atmosphere?”

(Bomb and humans and Jaffa vanish in a flash of white light, and reappear in the Prometheus’ EVA bay, where Sam and Pendergast are waiting.)

Mitchell: ::crawling out of his suit:: “So I assume that was you guys? What’d you do with the Gate?”

Sam: “Beamed it into the sun. We know energy can be sent through active Gates – the Ancients built weapons to attack Gates that did just that. We thought that might be what was powering the forcefield, so we decided to try removing the power source before we *had* to use the Mark IX.”

Vala: “For someone who practically invented that bomb, you sure don’t seem to want to see it go bang.”

Mitchell: “The Mark IX probably seems like small potatoes for Sam, since she blown up a sun.”

Vala: ::eyeing Daniel sideways:: “So I’m not the only woman around here who thinks size matters, eh???? In vegetables or… other things???? Hmm???”

Daniel: ::eyebrows and hands leaping up amid general laughter:: “Oh, please!”

Vala: ::sauntering over to Daniel:: “Now, Daniel, you know you don’t have to beg and plead and say please, but since you’ve asked soooo politely…”

:D

FeloniousMonk
September 6th, 2005, 09:37 PM
just rewatched it, two things came to mind

"blah blah blah blah blah blah blah"

that made me laugh

and "the fuse is twitchy"?? nuclear weapons don't work like that :p

TheObiJuan
September 6th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Since the Asgard beaming technology, even Goa’uld built knockoffs of the Asgard beaming technology a la Endgame, is apparently more than capable of beaming stargates, I’m wondering what would have happened if someone had hit on the bright idea of trying to beam the Gate out of the forcefield:

Prior: ::gapes, jaw a-dangle, while clunky staff of office drops from apparently nerveless fingers::

Vala: “Boy, all the secrets of the universe couldn’t see that one coming, eh? So, do you get burnt to a crust and laid in the dust now, or do you just stand there and look ridiculous while you die of asphyxiation in this poisonous atmosphere?”

(Bomb and humans and Jaffa vanish in a flash of white light, and reappear in the Prometheus’ EVA bay, where Sam and Pendergast are waiting.)

Mitchell: ::crawling out of his suit:: “So I assume that was you guys? What’d you do with the Gate?”

Sam: “Beamed it into the sun. We know energy can be sent through active Gates – the Ancients built weapons to attack Gates that did just that. We thought that might be what was powering the forcefield, so we decided to try removing the power source before we *had* to use the Mark IX.”

Vala: “For someone who practically invented that bomb, you sure don’t seem to want to see it go bang.”

Mitchell: “The Mark IX probably seems like small potatoes for Sam, since she blown up a sun.”

Vala: ::eyeing Daniel sideways:: “So I’m not the only woman around here who thinks size matters, eh???? In vegetables or… other things???? Hmm???”

Vala: ::sauntering over to Daniel:: “Now, Daniel, you know you don’t have to beg and plead and say please, but since you’ve asked soooo politely…”

I had the same though, then transport the bomb to it's location. The bomb would have taken care of the stargate, and the forcefield would eventually die off.

alaskannut
September 7th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Just out of curiosity...did anyone else hear pendergast mention "main railgun"--in the singular, not plural, indicating that he was in no way referring to the point defense system--when they were preparing to fire on the energy field?

1DanielForMe
September 10th, 2005, 05:41 AM
I think it might be Amanda that has to get back on her feet.Well, yes, that too, of course. ;)

IMForeman
September 10th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Asgard beams can beam a Stargate, sure... but I don't think they can beam a Stargate with an active wormhole. Just a thought.

-IMF

Ancavge
September 10th, 2005, 09:41 AM
ok

esoap524
September 10th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Man, I think you should be writing SG1--great dialogue! LOL.

good plot point too :)

THE BIG UNIT
September 13th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I thought this was a great episode, The Goa'uld was Great, the idea of the expanding shield and the Super Gate was also great. But most of all it was having sam finally come back, god i missed her!

Great episode - 9/10

atfan
September 25th, 2005, 12:41 AM
loved the episode. So glad A/T is back and she and Vala were great together.Sad about Vala though.Did anyone else catch it when Sam says Not available when asked if she is single? Is there hope for S/J shippers yet? Anyone have any thoughts on this from this episode? Will the PTB finally resolve this question since Jack is no longer on the show? I agree with everything that the others have said.

cafine_us
September 25th, 2005, 11:23 AM
loved the episode. So glad A/T is back and she and Vala were great together.Sad about Vala though.Did anyone else catch it when Sam says Not available when asked if she is single? Is there hope for S/J shippers yet? Anyone have any thoughts on this from this episode? This scene was actually from Ex Deus Machina

Will the PTB finally resolve this question since Jack is no longer on the show? I agree with everything that the others have said.In a word, no.

Daniel's_twin
September 25th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Or at least, not yet. They probably still wanna hold that angle even longer. :cool:

TrustNo1
October 1st, 2005, 07:27 AM
Umm Vala said that the rings can be used if a cargo ships is cloaked or not. So why did Jacob say they have to uncloak to intercept the data stream to save Teal'c in a previous episode I don't know the name of?

Daniel's_twin
October 1st, 2005, 07:53 AM
Boy, I keep on bring up Serpent's Venom for you, don't I?

The ep was Serpent's Venom, and it's possible that they only needed to de-cloak to intercept the datastream, but they wouldn't have needed to de-cloak to simply recieve if the stream was aimed toward them.

Plus, that ep needed to add a slight bit more danger. Keep in mind, that this is a TV show, so there are bound to be a few inconsistencies unless you work your imagination real hard. :cool:

mindfire
October 9th, 2005, 12:43 PM
This might have been asked, since Vala distroyed the Supergate It took the Alterans/Ancients a thousand years to get to our galaxy now in the episode "CRUSADE" Vala makes contact with Daniel tells him the Ori invasion fleet is being built. I got this from Gateworld. how long do you think it will take them to get here?

Daniel's_twin
October 10th, 2005, 10:57 AM
This might have been asked, since Vala distroyed the Supergate It took the Alterans/Ancients a thousand years to get to our galaxy now in the episode "CRUSADE" Vala makes contact with Daniel tells him the Ori invasion fleet is being built. I got this from Gateworld. how long do you think it will take them to get here?

Well, considering it's been thousands of years since they parted, I'm willing to bet that they have a few new improvements. I think the Supergate would just have been a faster route. Think about it, would you rather wait a week or so (speculation) to start a full invasion or would you rather get there in thirty seconds? Look how many times the Goa'uld tried to destroy us through the gate rather then come by ships. :cool:

Katerine
October 22nd, 2005, 11:17 AM
Review:
This review's going to be relatively short. I loved the ep, just like I've loved every ep in Season 9 so far. Loved the character interactions and the chemistry between all of the characters - it's like after being dead for three seasons, it's suddenly come alive again. Vala was great, Daniel was great, good to see Sam (although I would have been interested in seeing more interaction between her and Vala). Interesting plot, and all that.

Rating: 9 out of 10.

Now for my question: much as I really, really like Vala and really, really want to see a lot more of her, I just don't get how it's possible. I've been going over the logic of the statement, "Her matter stream was pulled into a black hole; therefore, she might be alive" - and I just don't get it. Could somebody please explain it to me? Thanks :)

Daniel's_twin
October 22nd, 2005, 11:57 AM
Now for my question: much as I really, really like Vala and really, really want to see a lot more of her, I just don't get how it's possible. I've been going over the logic of the statement, "Her matter stream was pulled into a black hole; therefore, she might be alive" - and I just don't get it. Could somebody please explain it to me? Thanks :)

Well, I'll attempt it. I assume you've heard their explanation of how the ring transporters work somewhat like the Stargates, in that they break down the body into energy and beam it to another transporter ring. Then in this ep, Vala said that the ring transporters automatically beam to the nearest set of rings if no coordinates are given (or something to that effect). When the Black Hole formed, the gravity was so immense that it would have sucked in her transmitting energy signal (it sucks in light, so why not matter-existing-as-energy?). We've witnessed that the people in the Ori galaxy do have ring transporters, so it would make sense if the planet that they were using as the position of launch had rings on it or nearby. Vala's matter-stream would automatically track to the nearest ring platform and re-intigrate her on it.

Best explanation I can think of. Does that help?:cool:

Elite Anubis Guard
November 15th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Well this is certainly an interesting episode but I have mixed feelings regarding it. Sam seemed rather bored to tell the truth and I wasn't that excited to have her back, to be correct, I'm really disappointed about Vala, but at least we'll see her again.

I liked the Goa'uld, he was rather amusing, wouldn't have thought a Goa'uld could get that large. I hadn't seen him working for the Ori coming, nice twist. The FX and space stuff for this episode was fantastic, I loved that Supergate. Nice series development.

Sha're
November 15th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Good episode. Typically, just as I finally warm to Vala - she's grown on me more and more in the last two eps - she's (maybe) sucked away to another galaxy! She was very good in this episode and I actually thought that the interaction between her and Sam (fleeting though it was) seemed promising.
I'll agree with Elite Anubis that something certainly seemed to be lacking in Sam's character, hopefully it wont last.
The supergate idea was great, and at least made the Orii seem more interesting.

chevroneight
November 15th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I *liked* it!! Yay!

It was nice to see Sam back, even though everyone didn't seem too enthusiastic about it. SuperGate was trés cool though. Can't believe we're already on episode 6!

Things I didn't like too much...

Shaft... I will say no more...
Vala leaving *just* when I had decided I liked her after all...
Mention of Jack making me realise I really don't miss him the way that I thought I would, and am now wondering am I just plain cold hearted lol
Gen. Landry's leather jacket... am I just being strange about it. Take it off already!!!

But anyway... excuse my babbling and weird randomness, my brain is frazzed from studying for my semester exams in 2 weeks time...

Yay Stargate for a distraction!!!

The Signal
November 15th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Gotta say, besides the first 15-20 minutes, this ep was pretty run of the mill, with little to offer. Sam was not very well placed in this episode and if the part she had in this episode continues, I may turn to dislike this season, as the Vala/Daniel banter is now over, and it was one of the key highlights. As for the Ori, they are becoming a good enemy, but little is being done to expand who they are, and all that is happening is them showing off their abilites.

I am very sorry to see Vala leave, she was very entertaining ad will be sorely missed IMO.

I am also warming to Landry, who is still nothing against Hammond, but still a very good character.
A final point, I do like the way that, although RDA is no longer there, his character is being carried over, with his wit still being written in.

A disapointing episode IMO, hoping this will pick up now
6/9 chevrons for me

Chaka's_Mum
November 15th, 2005, 11:55 PM
I enjoyed this ep. It wasn't perhaps as riveting as some have been, but it certainly captured my interest and enjoyment enough to ensure that I only flicked channels during the commerical breaks (hate 'em - why couldn't they have SG-1 on BBC three or something?).

It was good to see Sam back (indeed, as the camera panned around in Gen. Landry's office I actually had to stop myself saying "Hi Sam!" out loud. V. embarrassing).

I guess much of the fact that Sam wasn't as heavily involved as usual was down to her still not thinking of herself as 'SG-1'. Despite their being referred to by that tag, none of them have SG1 patches on (just SGC) so, technically, SG-1 is still not an official entity. Sam probably expected to head back to wherever she's been working for the last few weeks once they'd stuffed the forcefield and sent the Prior packing.

Of course, it didn't turn out like that, so that may well spur her to rejoin the team (what am I saying? Of course it will!)

Mind you, it did result in Vala finding herself suddenly out of the picture; a bit mean of them all to completely ignore her when she was trying to make a contribution, though! As she said herself, not everything that comes out of her mouth is innuendo. Just most of it.

'Cam - shaft.' Arf. :p

Interesting to see where they go from here, though. How do you defeat an enemy that is genuinely more powerful than you are? It was more luck than judgement that saved them from the Ori armada that would have come streaming through the supergate but for Vala. I wonder how she'll get on if she's managed to stick herself in the Ori galaxy as Daniel suggested.

Nice punishment for the naughty little Goa'uld (no more chicken!!! Argh!). Mind you, the moment he opened his mouth and started spouting compliments, I did find myself wondering what his game was. Not many Goa'ulds out there would be falling over themselves to get all luvvy-duvvy with SG-1 like that. Not that I saw the Ori thing coming, I have to admit.

Hulabaloo
November 16th, 2005, 12:44 AM
This is a great ep, glad to finally have Sam back. Not much interaction between her and Vala though, wish there was more of that.

The Jack on the phone bit was really funny. Glad to see hes still sort of there in a way. NOOOOOO Vala come back! I really liked her. Ill just have to wait.

P-90_177
November 16th, 2005, 04:29 AM
I only saw the middle of it (I missed the first and last 15 minutes) But the bit I did see was the best episode this season. I loved the Phone call to O'Neill and of course it was fantastic to see the band back together again, shame about Vala though I've heard that she's back for the end of the season.

Galluslass
November 16th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Yay! Vala is gone, long live Carter!! :D :D
This ep seemed better than last weeks one, altho' I was thinking 'Urgo' when that fat guy turned up eating all the eggs. MS has killed the beard - Yay! Can't say these past 4 eps have blown me away though. They've all been pretty superficial, but then I put that down to TPTB being heavy on the comedy ala Vala..."Ding, dong, the witch is dead (or sucked into a stream matter) the witch is dead, the witch is dead..." :rolleyes:
6/10 for me.

kirmit
November 16th, 2005, 06:52 AM
I really liked this ep, the supergate, wonderful idea. Also it looked to me as if the prommie cgi has had a little upgrade, dunno why but the ship looked even better than usual, except for the small corridors, i swear they've never used them before.

BC - 303
November 16th, 2005, 07:31 AM
it just showed that the Ori are WAy more powerful then we are
and the goa'uld will always be Evil. loved that goa'uld and his evil plans

Also shows the Jaffa are stupid, when being led by someone. and big jaffa with fur coat is a bonehead

we will miss Vala, and we will rejoice about sam.

it WOULD be nice if they spent some quality time together on screen, like Jonas and Daniel did is Fallen & Homecoming.

wonder if RDA will ever come back??

Edit
Love the basketball game bieng played
and the line "vala this is a military vesile""i know darling ive stolen it before"

Elite Anubis Guard
November 16th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Vala's quirks are great and the basketball scene was fantastic to see, Vala was getting some good development, so was the rest of the team.

bcfc
November 16th, 2005, 01:41 PM
I enjoyed this episode, although it didnt have a WOW factor it had some positives like sam returning although it didnt seem like she was back yet if you no what I mean.

Gutted Vala has gone for now, but some of the FX were good and the scenes with Landry and Gou'ld were funny espicially when he was eating the chicken.

:) :D :) :D

Chaka's_Mum
November 16th, 2005, 11:42 PM
MS has killed the beard - Yay!

*Claps hand to forehead in astonishment* would you believe I didn't notice that? D'oh!

Any guesses as to how many takes were needed to get that shot of Landry sinking the basketball into the hoop with one throw? Or is Beau Bridges a really good shot?:D

Stricken
November 17th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Beachhead was a great SG-1 Episode with the reintroduction of Amanda Tapping as Carter and the departing of the Vala which is sad but it was a noble sacrifce. The whole supergate thing was great and had some great visual effects in the Episode. It would have been nice to see Jack on the other end of the phone but the scene worked well without it. Overall a great Epsiode

Beachhead recieves a S.G.C rating of 8 out 9 Chevrons
http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gif

Madeleine
November 17th, 2005, 05:43 AM
I've been really lucky in what I've been spoiled for, I think. I had no idea about hte supergate, so WOW. And i know that some time near the end of s9 Vala will be back :):), so I'm not all cut up about her disappearing; although i'll miss her in the meantime.

Jack's being enough of a prat (that stupid prank on the phone) that i don't miss him in the least. If all the references to him that seem to appear in every ep were to start referring to his competence and brilliance rather than his cosmic giddiness I might start feeling different.

No beard - HURRAH - so Daniel did need his glasses. In those suits I had more trouble than usual telling whether Ben was Ben or Michael; but i could always tell who Michael was, cos of his glasses. (And yes, I know there's a flaw in my thinking, but I was very tired at the time :o).

Good ep. Had the feel of an earlier season ep, in that a bit of tweaking (switch a tokra or Asgard ship for Prometheus, and Anubis or Sokar for the Ori) and it could have fitted anywhere.

Lexa Jayde
November 17th, 2005, 06:26 AM
with the general concencus, i really liked Vala and she was fitting in (to a point).... but i do love Sam being back....

Katerine
November 17th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Already gave my review, but just want to reply to the other comments:

I do think that it's a bit annoying that they got rid of Vala and reintroduced Sam in the same episode.

Why? Because it gave the impression that "Vala/Sam" was an either/or deal. So it caused everybody to feel the need to compare the two. When, in fact, Vala is Vala and Sam is Sam, and they are nothing alike - so why compare them?

Vala was not Sam's replacement (if anything, she was Jack's - she was the life of the show in much the same way, and for many of the same reasons, that Jack was the life of the show in the early seasons), nor is Sam Vala's replacement.

Again, they are nothing alike. So why are we forcing them to compete?

Madeleine
November 17th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Already gave my review, but just want to reply to the other comments:

I do think that it's a bit annoying that they got rid of Vala and reintroduced Sam in the same episode.

Why? Because it gave the impression that "Vala/Sam" was an either/or deal. So it caused everybody to feel the need to compare the two.

It's the Stargate SG1 way. Daniel/Jonas/Daniel. Jack/Landry. Jack/Cam. Sam/Cam. Sam/Vala/Sam.... They like to have a one or two episode overlap at most. And I agree that it tends to do no characters any favours.

greytop
November 17th, 2005, 09:22 AM
I thought they did an excellent job of bringing Sam back. She did promise to Cameron, that she would help when she was needed. (Avalon, Pt 1)

Katerine
November 17th, 2005, 11:38 AM
It's the Stargate SG1 way. Daniel/Jonas/Daniel. Jack/Landry. Jack/Cam. Sam/Cam. Sam/Vala/Sam.... They like to have a one or two episode overlap at most. And I agree that it tends to do no characters any favours.

But the thing is, all of the examples you listed except Sam/Vala feature people who actually have something in common, who fill each others' shoes in some way.

Jonas, like Daniel, was knowledgable in diplomacy, language, and archeology, and was very smart. More importantly, he officially took Daniel's place on SG-1 - they specifically stated on the show that this was what he was doing. It makes sense that we would compare them to each other.

Landry was the general in charge of the base, just like Jack, and Hammond before him. It makes sense that the three of them would be compared to each other.

Cam was the leader of SG-1, like Sam (although we never really got to see her lead) and Jack before her, so again, it would make sense that we would compare the three of them.

But literally, the only thing that Sam and Vala have in common is that they are both female. And they're both very determined people. And they were both once hosts. That's it. Vala was never a member of SG-1, nor was it ever even a consideration. Vala is not a scientist, nor is she a soldier, and she certainly doesn't have anything close to an analytical mind. Except for the determination, and the fact that they were both once hosts, she and Sam have nothing in common!

Why is everybody (including, apparently, the writers, since they decided to get rid of Vala and reintroduce Sam at the same time) comparing Vala with Sam? Why are they not comparing Vala with Jack? Vala and Jack have a great deal more in common, especially when it comes to the role they play. They both brought a kind of irreverence to the show. They both have complex relationships and visible chemistry with the other cast members (particularly Daniel - note that I mean "chemistry" in the general sense of "we the audience can feel a connection between them," not necessarily in the sexual sense). They both bring out both the best and the worst in the other cast members (again, particularly Daniel).

That's a whole lot more than Vala ever had in common with Sam. Unless of course it all boils down to the fact that they are both female. *sigh*

gone_fishin'
November 19th, 2005, 03:01 AM
I can't believe that was an official Brad Wright episode.
My god -- is this what it's really come to? I'm feeling a distinct shiver of Emperor's New Clothes with each supposedly 'best ep of S9 so far'. The plot: undeveloped yet overfamiliar baddies make Big Honkin' Weapon type thing. SG1 go to Blow It Up With Big Honkin' Weapon. A la old Trek, it makes stuff worse (d'oh). Disaster saved by Dumb Excuse/Flaw in Evil Plan. The End.
Yet without any of the wit, character or flair of other similarly-plotted SG1 eps of the past.

And did I mention it's a Brad Wright episode? Brad Wright! If his name hadn't been on the credits I would never have found any proof in this real filler of an episode with nada character development. What a waste.

Jack's being enough of a prat (that stupid prank on the phone) that i don't miss him in the least. If all the references to him that seem to appear in every ep were to start referring to his competence and brilliance rather than his cosmic giddiness I might start feeling different.

This is what they have done since s7 whenever they needed to fill space. Get Jack to say something dumb/act as comic relief. And did I mention it was Brad Wright -- the person who was always credited with knowing his character best?

Poor. Must try harder.

J, even more non-plussed

Daniel's_twin
November 19th, 2005, 06:43 AM
Man, I forgot what a good ep this was. The Supergate was something I did not expect at all, and the black hole idea is kinda creepy, 'cause if the Ori can utilize black holes to a degree, then what else can they do? Still gonna miss Vala's snarkiness (tho I get enough of it from my sister), so really lookin' forward to her return. An excellent ep overall. :cool:

Chaka's_Mum
November 20th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Hmm - a bit of a marmite episode. You either love it or you hate it...:p

P-90_177
November 21st, 2005, 03:08 AM
I couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread so sorry if someone has already said this but did anyone else noticed that the Prommie only fired Missles when the captain missiles and rail guns. seems like they've started making the same mistakes Star Trek has been for years, or at least TNG.

Daniel's_twin
November 21st, 2005, 10:48 AM
The way I understood it, it sounded like it was going to take a bit of time before the railguns were ready to fire. :cool:

jazz!
December 8th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I was really happy to finally meet one of the scientists who has given the Goa'uld such advanced tech!

Lord Shiva
December 14th, 2005, 12:08 PM
I liked the episode, but I thought the first bit with the Prior using his staff to knock everyone back looked cheezy. Am I the only one? I realize its to proof the power of the Ori, but the CGI effect of them lifting up and literally disappearing into the horizon just reminded me of a bad Loony Toons cartoon.

Jeffer
December 16th, 2005, 05:15 PM
ok this might have already been said but it there was a Black hole on the other side of the gate why was there no time dialation feild (if this is explained in other shows don't tell me)

other then that good ep really enjoyed watching it

Daniel's_twin
December 18th, 2005, 05:47 PM
The Ori may have come up with some kind of time dialation device to neutralize the effects of the dialation caused by the black hole. If the Asgard could come up with one, then the Ori definitely can, too. :cool:

RonTheAncient
February 13th, 2006, 03:35 AM
The Prior came through the gate a second time when the episode starts. So the point of origin from where the prior came must be in this galaxy. Daniel said "its probaly a one way trip for the priors.” Well the whole plot is that the ori are powering the gate with a black hole, later the pieces of the supergate start coming through the stargate so unless the prior has a way to go back to the ori galaxy the supergate had to come from our own galaxy. Or the prior was a different from the first one that visited their planet.
What do you guys think?

Deevil
February 13th, 2006, 03:38 AM
My bet is in their little staff of tricks that they could power the gate to get them where they are going. As you said Daniel hypothosised it was a one way trip, in no way was that a statement of fact.

The Engineer
February 13th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Daniel said "its probaly a one way trip for the priors.”
What do you guys think?
[spoiler]
In Origin after the SGC discovers the true intentions of the Ori, and thus the intentions of that particular Prior that came through the gate in the Milky Way Galaxy, the Prior sets himself on fire, thus killing himself.
After the conection was broken and Daniel along with Vala woke up, Daniel said during the briefing "its probaly a one way trip for the priors” meanning that after the Priors encounter its enemy (the SG teams) it's a matter of time the Priors death and this would make them reconsider their tactics and think twice before engaging them. Mitchell's response was something in the line "I don't think they have a problem with self sacrifice" meanning that the one-way-trip fact won't change the Ori's and their Priors in their decisiveness to convert the entire Milky Way Galaxy to their beliefs.

RonTheAncient
February 13th, 2006, 12:00 PM
yes i agree with what you said, but that was not the point i was trying to get to. i was talking more about where the supergate originated from. was it from this galaxy since this was the secound time the prior visited this world.

Katerine
February 13th, 2006, 12:07 PM
The Prior came through the gate a second time when the episode starts. So the point of origin from where the prior came must be in this galaxy. Daniel said "its probaly a one way trip for the priors.” Well the whole plot is that the ori are powering the gate with a black hole, later the pieces of the supergate start coming through the stargate so unless the prior has a way to go back to the ori galaxy the supergate had to come from our own galaxy. Or the prior was a different from the first one that visited their planet.
What do you guys think?
There isn't a law that says that to make a trip through the Stargate, the PoO must be in this galaxy (if that were the case, there would be no SGA) - it's just that, to make trips outside the galaxy, you must enter an 8-symbol address, and you must have a significant power source at the PoO.

The point of the black hole is that there are two of them - one at the PoO (in the Ori home galaxy), and one at the destination. With one black hole at either end, that's a LOT of power - enough to indefinitely power a stargate that's big enough to send an armada.

The reason Daniel said it was a one-way trip for the priors, as somebody already mentioned, is that the prior was on a suicide mission. Plus, there isn't really that much here that can power a trip home - ZPMs are in kind of short supply.

Personally, the only thing I'm confused about is my earlier question. So there's a black hole in the Ori home galaxy that's powering the stargate. And a black hole formed here, but the supergate was destroyed, so it all ended up being a rather pointless exercize. Vala was sucked into the black hole and through the wormhole - into the black hole at the other end. So HOW exactly does this translate into "she might be alive"???

ETA: Ah, I see what you're saying. Again, the "one-way trip for the priors" remark was probably in reference to them being on suicide missions. It's also entirely possible that this was a different prior. Or this might have been a multi-destination trip - where he had gated from the home galaxy for his first trip, made his first visit, gated to somewhere else in this galaxy to spread the world, came back to this world a second time from that other world, and then the stargate momentarily closed and the Ori opened a gate from the home galaxy again.

SeaBee
February 15th, 2006, 05:16 PM
As I watch each new episode I hope that it will be the one to make me go "Yay! Stargate is back!"

Still waiting.

shester
February 15th, 2006, 05:17 PM
What a shame SeaBee. I love this season. Enjoying every crazy episode. Looking forward to Season 10.
Sybil

harsiesis child
June 1st, 2006, 05:41 AM
an incredible episode, with an enormous tension until the end and the discovering of the Ori plan: a supergate! :jack_new_anime05: :eek:
definitely one of the best in season 9 :)

phaeton
August 3rd, 2006, 04:36 PM
My new Favourite of the season this ep felt like an original SG1 episode loved every minute of it minus the ads.

Great to see Carter she was fantastic as was Vala and J O'Neill's ph call at the start.

Neros & Gen Landry were really funny talking about food.

Cool Supergate, I wonder what was on the other side??????

BTW my rating 10/10

david2708
August 3rd, 2006, 05:32 PM
Quite liked the ep. Good, but not great by any measure.
Amanda Tapping seemed a bit out of practise post pregnancy. I found her quite wooden in the ep.
It was like she was reading cue cards off stage. Very strange.

spirited Chihiro
August 4th, 2006, 04:13 AM
I really enjoyed the episode....glad to see carter back...cant wait till she gets back into the full swing of things...and that phone call with jack was funny.
Liked how Vala 'sacrificed' herself, i am really enjoying her character!

Admiral Mappalazarou
August 25th, 2006, 05:56 AM
My brother thinks that this is the best episode in season nine, I am inclined to disagree but I did like it.
I love the scene when they discover the Supergate, and they're all shocked out of their faces.:)

kharaa
October 24th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Anyone notice the staff blasts were red..

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 21st, 2006, 02:36 AM
This epsiode hold the SG1 record for having the most special FX in the series: 37 minutes of special FX.

PG15
December 21st, 2006, 12:17 PM
That's including scenes where there are SFX and real action, right? I mean, it's not all total SFX scenes like those in space?

Arga
February 12th, 2007, 06:07 AM
No Shades ?

At one moment, when Nerous is eating grapes, he says "no shades? how is that possible" with a surprised tone. Then Daniel says "It's a state secret, but we're willing to negotiate"..
I don't understand what he means... Can someone please tell me what "shades" are he talking about?
Thanks!

kes
February 12th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I think he says seeds. No seeds in the grapes.

Arga
February 12th, 2007, 07:54 AM
I think he says seeds. No seeds in the grapes.

yes, it's what would make sense.. He pronounces it strangely.
But the transcript i read said "shades"... I thought it meant something. Maybe not.

Dumper
April 21st, 2007, 01:08 PM
This epsiode hold the SG1 record for having the most special FX in the series: 37 minutes of special FX.

Episodes last for about 42 minutes and in this episode there is alot of talking at SGC and on Prometheus so i don't know how there is 37 minutes of FX. Do you have a link about it?

On another note did anyone notice how Nerus pronounced certain names?

He called the Ori, Ohri and Jaffa, Yaffa at least that is what it sounded like. I would of thought the directors would of picked it up while filming and corrected it.

Daniel's_twin
April 21st, 2007, 03:11 PM
I just took it as that this guy is so pompous, he would think nothing of adding his own flare to the pronunciation of certain words or groups. :cool:

garhkal
April 22nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
I loved it at the end, when landry told him he would help them out... and nereus goes
"what on earth would compell me to do that"

landry- "Hunger!"

Man did he look defeated after that.

Cap116
May 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Where did the Jaffa go at the beginning?

garhkal
May 12th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Did they ever explain why or how that prior was breathing? Was it some sort of power coming from the Ori themselves via the open gate??

monkey_man132
May 15th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Where did the Jaffa go at the beginning? They were eventually destroyed by the growing force shield.

Did they ever explain why or how that prior was breathing? Was it some sort of power coming from the Ori themselves via the open gate??
The Prior had a personal shield, which he shared with the gate so it would survive a little longer.

the fifth man
May 16th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Man I loved this episode. Definitely one of Season 9's many great episodes IMO.:)

monkey_man132
May 22nd, 2007, 03:28 PM
Man I loved this episode. Definitely one of Season 9's many great episodes IMO.:)Agreed. Every time I watch it and see Prometheus going in and out of hyperspace I get all sad. I loved that ship... :sheppardanime32:

Corpze
October 18th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Wow! This ep was amazing! Those Ori's are really tremendously powerful. "Hey, let's form couple black holes". They seem to reveal whole new level of their power in every new episode. If that keeps going on, I don't dare imagine how powerful they'll come.

About the episode. Ep was great again, one of the best. And it's absolutely great to have Sam back :) I also liked the part Prior was in. So tough and calm, just listening Daniel threatening him. I like their style :P That force field trick was very clever of Ori's and I believe they'll turn out to be considerable threat to all inhabitants on a Milky Way.

And that Nerus-guy was hilarious :D "Chicken! I want more chicken!" He did great job and that was rewarded nicely. Landry will starve him to help SGC against the Ori, lol :P That look on his face, when Landry told him that they won't feed him, was really worth of seeing :D

I did get a bit confused when Gerak threatened to attack Prometheus and Tau'ri. He should be thanking them for doing a lot to free jaffa from the shackles of Goa'uld enslavement. But as I have noticed, Gerak is one arrogant son of a b****.

And why did Vala have to get transported in Pegasus-galaxy? She brought little humour in SG-1, the humour that died when O'Neill left. Now the team is a bit apathetic again. I just hope they'll get her back soon.

Well, entity was great, and I'd rate this 9,5/10. Clearly one of the best eps in Stargate history.

P-90_177
October 18th, 2007, 02:59 PM
don't worry she's back in season 10.

Corpze
October 19th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Thanks for spoiler -.-

Fenrir Foxz
November 21st, 2007, 07:25 PM
Wow! This ep was amazing! Those Ori's are really tremendously powerful. "Hey, let's form couple black holes". They seem to reveal whole new level of their power in every new episode. If that keeps going on, I don't dare imagine how powerful they'll come.

About the episode. Ep was great again, one of the best. And it's absolutely great to have Sam back :) I also liked the part Prior was in. So tough and calm, just listening Daniel threatening him. I like their style :P That force field trick was very clever of Ori's and I believe they'll turn out to be considerable threat to all inhabitants on a Milky Way.

And that Nerus-guy was hilarious :D "Chicken! I want more chicken!" He did great job and that was rewarded nicely. Landry will starve him to help SGC against the Ori, lol :P That look on his face, when Landry told him that they won't feed him, was really worth of seeing :D

I did get a bit confused when Gerak threatened to attack Prometheus and Tau'ri. He should be thanking them for doing a lot to free jaffa from the shackles of Goa'uld enslavement. But as I have noticed, Gerak is one arrogant son of a b****.

And why did Vala have to get transported in Pegasus-galaxy? She brought little humour in SG-1, the humour that died when O'Neill left. Now the team is a bit apathetic again. I just hope they'll get her back soon.

Well, entity was great, and I'd rate this 9,5/10. Clearly one of the best eps in Stargate history.

Yeah I agree, this is one hell of a episode... I think this was the epp that got my interest back in SG-1... after O'neill/RDA leaving I didn't think stargate would last long...

But this was the EPP that sold SG-1 back to me... I'm glad aswell coz thing really did start to pick up from there-on-in...

Jumper_One
November 30th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah I agree, this is one hell of a episode... I think this was the epp that got my interest back in SG-1... after O'neill/RDA leaving I didn't think stargate would last long...

But this was the EPP that sold SG-1 back to me... I'm glad aswell coz thing really did start to pick up from there-on-in...

well said. the first few eps of s9 were didn't have SG-1 quality but this one finally brought some of that back. whether it was Sam's return IDK but I certainly liked this ep

captain jake
December 7th, 2007, 06:15 PM
well said. the first few eps of s9 were didn't have SG-1 quality but this one finally brought some of that back. whether it was Sam's return IDK but I certainly liked this ep

I definitely think Sam's presence was very refreshing, but the heroin of this episode (Vala) had much more of an impact on me.

Egle01
March 19th, 2008, 05:44 AM
At the end, when Vala was on the cargo ship and used the rings to escape, where did the Jaffa go, who had been zat(t)ed? :rolleyes:

garhkal
March 19th, 2008, 08:23 PM
No where, he died..

e-dog
August 20th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I mostly lurk here, but I had a random question about the episode, as I am rewatching it on SciFi right now.

Isn't Camshaft a Transformer? Like, one of the early, 1980s Transformers? I'm guessing Cam was actually referring to the engine part, not the toys. At least I hope he was. Either way, as Vala said, "Disappointing, isn't it?" Probably one of the worst call signs in the history of call signs. :cameron:

Ulkesh47
June 9th, 2009, 06:26 PM
At the end, when Vala was on the cargo ship and used the rings to escape, where did the Jaffa go, who had been zat(t)ed? :rolleyes:

No where, he died..
He didn't die. You can see Vala ringing the zatted Jaffa off of the cargo ship. He was ringed onto Prometheus and supposedly regained consciousness after a while.

vzzzzzbx
July 15th, 2009, 04:44 PM
This was a pretty good episode, some nice visual effects and probably the funniest Goa'uld ever (mmmm, chicken)

fazza92
July 25th, 2009, 08:40 PM
GREAT episode!
I'm gonna miss Vala though :(

but I'm told she returns here and there, so it's all good I guess :)

mrscopterdoc
April 2nd, 2010, 07:41 PM
Finally a break from Vala although when she is not the focus and is more in the background she is tolerable. Like the supergate and YAY Sam is back!

enx6
April 23rd, 2010, 06:58 AM
The ori try to invade a planet but Cameron,Vala,carter,teal`c & Daniel manage to stop them by destroing the supergate & sending the goa`uld to area 51 :daniel::sam::vala::cameron::sam59::tealcanime44::valaanime06::cameronanime12::h allowed::prioranime01::vortex04::prioranime07::docianime09::prior::indeed::ronan anime16::wraithanime11::psycho::replicatoranime01::thoranime09:

rushy
April 25th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Yeah, Endy. It's that simple. And we're not gonna call every ship that we find ''Enterprise''!

Infinite-Possibilities
August 2nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
I'd just been watching it again right now. I'm a little curious what the implication of the Jaffa on the planet that the prior landed on was. Sam said there were no lifesigns outside the field when they arrived. Bra'tac said "thousands of lives were lost" when talking about it in the later episodes, but are we supposed to believe he killed the entire population? Or that they mostly fled? If he did kill them all I guess Kallana was fairly sparsely populated for an entire planet.

maneth
December 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I expect he killed them all. The Jaffa of some Goa'uld were rather decimated by prolonged battles anyway. I expect Kallana may have been abandoned for quite some time before it was found by a band of rebel Jaffa. Their only way off the planet was out of bounds after the Prior arrived and they rejected his offer.

This is my favorite episode of the season so far.

Lieutenant Sparrow
April 9th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Sam's back yippee! Nice joke Jack played on Landry haha. :jack_new15:

This was a pretty good ep. I had to laugh when the prior flung the Jaffa into the sky haha. It just looked hilarious.

Trust Gerak to show up and make things worse. Was the Prometheus actually strong enough to take on 3 Ha'taks at the time? It had the upgraded Asgard shields didn't it?

Our first introduction to the super gate. Using the black hole to suck in the planet was cool.

Bye bye Vala. For now.

Jae'a
April 9th, 2012, 12:05 PM
My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/47840.html)

I love those Supergates. Can't wait to see a working one again, gotta love the great big kawoosh :D

mathpiglet
April 9th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Lovely to have a team together again. Seeing the strength of the Ori is creepy and I'm impressed with the supergates.

Good episode. I love the look on Nerus' face when Landry says, "Hunger."

discodiva
April 9th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I preferred Nerus in this episode than in the later one he appears in...he's more serious and menacing here, in the other eppy he became a tad too comedic for my tastes....but Maury Chaykin was an excellent actor in both....sad he's no longer with us...:(

Deeds xx

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
April 9th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Best Episode thus far of Season 9
Loved the Goa'uld, best one ever seen on Stargate
Good to have Carter back.
Kinda disagree with point #2. Point #1 would remain true until the end of the season, I think.

The whole scene near the end of the ep (when Vala is saving the day), Joel's score was just amazing. Together with that and the sound the singularity as it exploded, it was beautiful.

Mark Savela is doing some amazing things with the Visual Effects, some stuff that probably hasn't been done in the franchise before.

Tomorrow, Ba'al is back.

garhkal
April 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I preferred Nerus in this episode than in the later one he appears in...he's more serious and menacing here, in the other eppy he became a tad too comedic for my tastes....but Maury Chaykin was an excellent actor in both....sad he's no longer with us...:(

Deeds xx

I loved seeing him "gulp" right after landry said "Hunger"....

discodiva
April 10th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I loved seeing him "gulp" right after landry said "Hunger"....

Me too....the scenes between Nerus and Landry were great in S.9....both Maury and Beau worked brilliantly together...:D

I have to say that S.9 and 10 got some great "cameos" from actors....working so well with the regular cast...Julian Sands and Michael Shanks, Maury and Beau, Tony Todd and Ben, Lou Gossett Jr with both Beau and Chris Judge, and of course Michael and Neil Jackson - awesome stuff...made for some great viewing imho...:D

Deeds xx

Macphisto
April 11th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Another solid episode for S9. Honestly, I like each of the first eight in one way or another. Beachhead does really stick out because of the introduction of the Supergate, the return of Carter, and the continuing development of Vala.

This is where the writers did a great job during this season. Vala had no chance at being an endearing character until the prior episode, The Powers That Be. She was sexy comic relief with a lack of morals. Vala developed quite a bit when she returned to the planet she ruled as Qetesh.

Even so, no one took her seriously as Beachhead closed - probably including most of us watching. Yet she clearly had the best idea to stop the Super Gate. I'm sure she had no intention to sacrifice herself (and she really didn't), but she proved to be a smart and capable member of the team.

I really liked how the Prior used the tendencies of the Ori's enemies against them. To me, it showed that they had been studying exactly what the Tau'ri and the Jaffa would do in response to them setting up a shield on a planet.

I agree with those who liked the character of Nerus as well here, as he played an integral role in getting the humans to the planet and encouraging them to trust to violent action instead of logical action and observation. Good character brought alive by a fine character actor. I also continue to love the differences in each General. Bringing in Beau Bridges was a sublime choice and I really like Landry. No one can ever be Hammond, so they never attempted to recapture what Don Davis brought to the show. It worked well and gave us three distinctively different leaders of the SGC (not counting the blond version of Dr. Weir) with their own great personalities.

I know there are some mediocre episodes coming up. Prototype and The Scourge tend to stand out to me, but neither is a bad episode. Though I will say that I think the beginning of the second half of the season is weaker than the start. The Fourth Horseman is a good two parter, but things are more hit or miss until we get to Arthur's Mantle. Collateral Damage, come to think of it, seems a bit derivative of a Next Generation episode where Riker was accused of murder - it's not exactly the same, but I always think of that ep during the viewing.

Regardless, Beachhead is a great episode that escalates the Ori threat, introduces a great new character (Nerus), brings character back, continues to add depth to Vala, and introduces to the super cool Super Gate.

Krisz
April 11th, 2012, 05:17 PM
This is the first episode I enjoyed of season 9 with this re-watch. I'd forgotten how good it actually was.

There was a great sense of helplessness in the face of the sneaky Ori using their vast knowledge to use a black hole and a Stargate as a means to open up a way into the Milky Way galaxy. Clever too how the Ori used the Goa'uld Nerus and fooled the Tau'ri and Jaffa into feeding the force field by giving it just what it needed when they attacked it with their weapons and bomb.

You have to cheer for Vala when she risked her life to stop the formation of the supergate, and feel a sense of relief when the final piece couldn't slot into place.

garhkal
April 11th, 2012, 11:08 PM
And then a sense of loss when she tried to ring out, but didn't show up on the Oddessy.

Lieutenant Sparrow
April 12th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Oddessy? Don't you mean Prometheus. hahah

jelgate
April 13th, 2012, 09:26 PM
This is a good one and not just because the Supergate looks awesome. The actually beating the Ori for once shows a good morale victory for SG-1. Here we are that the Ori constantly beat SG-1 I like this one to show us actually beating the Ori for a change. I especially felt sorry for Vala in this episode. Not because she sacrificed herself to save the galaxy but the fact that no one would take her seriously. I have been in that situation and it is always sad. Top moments goes to the exchange with Nerus. I remember this being the episode where I really liked Landry. I never disliked him but the way he threatens Nerus shows why he was the one qualified to replace Jack.

Matt G
April 17th, 2012, 04:50 AM
1. I didn't think Sam's comeback would be quite like that.

2. Nerus..didn't call him serving the Ori...thought the Goa'uld's ego wouldn't allow them to serve the Ori.

3. Gerak. Well I already knew from S10 that he could be a moron.

4. Impressive stuff from the Ori though.

5. Don't think any offense was meant in the last scene.

Solid ep.

garhkal
April 26th, 2012, 03:40 PM
2. Nerus..didn't call him serving the Ori...thought the Goa'uld's ego wouldn't allow them to serve the Ori.

He was used to serving other "gods" and in the Ori he found beings that met his definition of proper gods..

Cluas
February 11th, 2013, 11:42 PM
This one was cool - Lots going on. Landry kicked Goa'uld B***, and a super-gate.

Sam back :sam:
And Jackson finally got a shave :daniel:

Baron Of Hell
August 12th, 2013, 10:36 AM
I liked this one. The last scene telling the guy why he would help was great. Hunger.

Anja
October 18th, 2015, 08:10 AM
Nerus a Goa'uld of many appetites but a bit stupid compared to Landry who seems to become a very convincing general.
Impressive supergate and Vala, a woman of quick decisions although nobody took her seriously. She will enrich the Ori's lives - good to know she will come back.
Cowboy-look gone for Jackson - good idea.

garhkal
October 18th, 2015, 11:57 PM
Nerus a Goa'uld of many appetites but a bit stupid compared to Landry who seems to become a very convincing general.
Impressive supergate and Vala, a woman of quick decisions although nobody took her seriously. She will enrich the Ori's lives - good to know she will come back.
Cowboy-look gone for Jackson - good idea.

Personally it would have been fun HAD Landry followed through with his "starve your ass" threat to Nerus.

rxp
October 29th, 2017, 03:52 AM
Making my way slowly through Season 9 - the Amazon downloads are fantastic quality!

Just saw this ep - man it drew me in all over again. One of the best SG episodes of all time! Loved the Hunger line, the new nuke, the concept of a beachhead and power that the SG universe has never seen before. Still holds up well 12 years after the original airdate