X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ori's motives?

Spoilers from Gateworld's "The Powers That Be":

"Meanwhile, Daniel also considers just what the Ori's motives could be. They're from another galaxy, they're ascended beings... why would they insist on worship and devotion to the point that they have pledged to destroy all who do not follow them? It's certainly not in sync with the other ascended beings SG-1 has met (the Ancients), who look upon mortals almost as insects."

I find this very interesting. What can the motives be? (ok, might relate to why we worship Gods on earth in reality too, but that is another story...)

Edit: removed a part what I wrote, did not fit in with the topic.
    Last edited by Mackan; 26 July 2005, 08:43 AM.

Thirst for Power?

Feeling that they are superior because they are ascended?

Maybe they started out just helping people to ascend and then it got out of hand?
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Ah, yes, it is probably that simple. But considering "the Ancients look upon mortals almost like insects", I just feel it hard to comprehend the simple answers you give. But I guess it is all about that, domination and power...

Comment

Well, the guy in Avalon 2 said... "Their power is as real as the faith of those who follow them." (That might not be word for word. It's been a few days )

Perhaps the Ori need followers.

Or perhaps he was being metaphorical

Comment

Maybe they are just plain evil
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Kelso
            Well, the guy in Avalon 2 said... "Their power is as real as the faith of those who follow them." (That might not be word for word. It's been a few days )

Like the more people who follow them the more power they have? maybe they can only affect the corporeal world through their followers.... That would explain their need for followers. The more followers the more power….Interesting line of inquiry.

Comment

or maybe he meant the orii are really powerful and their followers belief in them is really strong
              love Torri

Comment

This is an idea but if like Vala suggested that they are the ones left behind by the ancients/Alterans, then from what we've seen they might have been left for a reason. Thirst of power and feeling superior would be a good enough reason to be left behind.

It's probably right that they feel superior than those bellow and want them to worship them.

This idea might have been said before.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelso

I think he was being literal. The faith of those who follow them is real and so is their power. But perhaps they are not, for whatever reason, able to act directly and thus they DO need mortals to do their bidding. Maybe the Ancients we know and love are able to prevent them from acting more directly. They want to force people to ascend (on their side) so that they maybe could eventually have enough power to fight the ascended Ancients and win.

Comment

It's obvious why the Ori want people to worship them. Long ago the Ancient homeworld was split asunder into two worlds as different as day and night. The Ancients evolved on the world of light known as New Genesis and the Ori evolved on the world of darkness known as Apokolips. One day the leader of the Ancients lead them away from their world to earth in order to escape the tyranny of the Ori. Now Ori emperor Darkseid is on his quest to find the solution the Anti-Life Equation so that he could destroy the Ancients and recreate the universe in his own image.
                    Last edited by Giantevilhead; 26 July 2005, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                      It's obvious why the Ori want people to worship them. The leader of the Ori is Darkseid and he's on his quest to find the solution the Anti-Life Equation so that he could destroy the Ancients and recreate the universe in his own image.
                      .. well thats just plain evil now isn't it!
                      -- Mike

Comment

Maybe the ori are like a certain political party were it is there way or no way.

Comment

Maybe they are Siths

Star wars ep3
                          Spoiler:
                          ANAKIN: If you're not with me, you're my enemy.

OBI-WAN: Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes. I will do what I must.
                          love Torri

Comment

Brad mentioned in recent interview that they will reveal in the second half of season to why the Orii want us to worship them. I also read somewhere few weeks ago that the Orii have stargate the size of a planet (don’t know if that is true or not.)
                            "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Thanks for the info

A stargate the size of a planet - there was a thread about that somewhere but I dont think it mentioned the orii
                              love Torri

Comment

Working...
                              X