Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weapons of Mass Desruction (and Mutually Assured Destruction)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapons of Mass Desruction (and Mutually Assured Destruction)

We have seen a number of weapons and technologies that are truely weapons of mass destruction. Weapons that make Anubis's super-weapon look positively puny. For example:

1) The gate-blackhole combo.
    2) The stellar poison trick. (a la "Red Sky")
    3) The ZPM conversion of Camulus.

Each of these is can kill a system. There are probably enough gates around to pull the first one off thousands of times. Any interstellar spacecraft could probably perform the second. So why are these methods not in the Goa'uld arsenal?

I can recall two overt attacks on earth by the Goa'uld. If either Apophis or Anubis had used one (especially the gate-blackhole combo) they could have easily destroyed earth. Apophis even had an available gate!

You missed blowing up the suns.
    sigpic
    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
      You missed blowing up the suns.
      You are right. When I wrote "gate-blackhole hole combo" I meant the trick Carter used to destroy Apophis's fleet. But I guess you could also use the combo to destroy a planet as they feared might happen in "A Matter of Time."

Comment

They were never used because the goa'uld knew Sam would defeat them lol
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

One weapon most sci-fi series, shows, books miss entirely:
          Just take a big ship and crash it as fast as you can into the target planet.
          And with hyperdrive tech, you can even popuout of hyper so close to the target that there is no possible defense. Except maybe for a huge planetary shield.

Oh and btw, hiyas everyone

Comment

perhaps over kill?????

you know the goa'uld do still want something to rule over!
            Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis_Man
              perhaps over kill?????

you know the goa'uld do still want something to rule over!
              Exactly. If you want to rule (and exploit) a planet/system you try not to destroy it entirely or there's nothing left to possess. Goa'ulds are basically feudal lords/divinities who enjoy having enire worlds worshipping them. They'd probably commit suicide from loneliness if there weren't anybody left to serve and worship them.
              Of course, future SG enemies may not have the same goal but rather want to destroy anything. The replicators were somewhat similar : they just wanted to multiply and replace everything else.

Comment

Yes, but I think it was because Apophis really wasn't that smart. For centuries, at least, the Goa;uld had been used to fighting lesser beings with no chance of defending themselves, you know a nice airel bombardment from orbit, a Death Glider wave, maybe a few regiments of Jaffa, Apophis never needed "creative" ideas to accomplish his goals as well with the other system lords. When we came along, the were unprepared. After centuries of never actually thinking, he and they probably had no idea what to do, so they stuck with the regular.

Owen Macri

Comment

I am glad for Atlantis_Man's point. Obviously, most of the time the goa'uld engage in conflict to enlarge their influence and gain new resources. In such a fight one would not want to escalate the fighting to the point where the conflict destroys the very things desired.

Earth is a different case. We saw in the alternate reality that Apophis meant to decimate the Earth's population. Perhaps he was merely overconfident and uncreative.

Anubis was different. We saw what he did to abydos. He certainly had access to technology. We saw that he had no qualms about conducting death and destruction on the entire galaxy. He could have employed any number of weapons that Earth would not have had any defence against.

What ever happened to the Naquadah astroid. I doubt Earth has taken possession of it -- they would not have to worry about Naquadah supply problems in that case. Suppose Anubis had taken it and detonated it near earth. Suppose Anubis had droped a gate into the sun. How do you defend against that even with the Ancient outpost?

This brings me to my last point. Perhaps the Goa'uld follow something of a no first use policy. If earth could not defend itself against such types of attacks, neither could Anubis. If Anubis opened the door to such attacks, then the embattled system lords might have done the same to him. Notice then that Anubis's plan of galactic destruction makes a bit of sense. He would be opening the door to such types of attacks, but there would be no one left to attack him back.

Why would the Goa'uld adopt such a policy? Is it just good strategy? Did they learn the hard way?

Comment

I don't believe that it is over-kill, if you have a wasp nest on your house, and you go with some wasp poison to kill them, in the middle of the night, and the bottle says, spray for 2-5 seconds at ten feet, now come on, are you really going to listen to it, that doesn't seem vvery practical, so instead you stand next to it and spray for a good thirty to forty seconds. My point is, it is better to be safe than sorry, and if that involves what some people might constitute as "over-kill" so be it. On Atlantis, when they kill a Wraith, do they not fire more shots into it than are needed, that is "over-kill" but it is also logical.

As for how we would deffend against a gate into the sun. We would add to its' mass, we find out how much mass the blackhole gate is taking out, and put that much in, the gate would eventually be destroyed, whether by the heat of the sun or be partially converted into energy.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                      As for how we would deffend against a gate into the sun. We would add to its' mass, we find out how much mass the blackhole gate is taking out, and put that much in, the gate would eventually be destroyed, whether by the heat of the sun or be partially converted into energy.
                      Owen Macri
                      I'll have to watch the episode again. I think the idea was that sending the black-hole connected gate into the star would siphon off heat. This seems at first glance counter-intuitive, but the idea was to cool the star enough and sufficiently quickly that the outer layers would collapse towards the center, heat to great temperatures, and begin fusion.

Not only would the this attack be extremely difficult to remedy, defenders would have to detect the attack first, then quickly devise a plan and respond.

On another note, perhaps anubis had a reason not to completely destroy the earth. Maybe there was something he wanted to recover.

Comment

The black hole removed some of the stars mass, allowing the explosive force of its' fusion to overwhelm its' gravitational force holding it together, which will cause it to explode.

Owen Macri

Comment

i don't think that trick would work anymore for all we know there might still be an ashen stargate connected to that stargate

Comment

There is no reason for the trick not to work, the Wraith have never encountered it before. As for another gate being connected it is a possibility, unless the Aschen managed to shut it down, as we did. Seeing as the writers had plans for a third Achen episode, we can assume that they may have, but until it apears in the show...

Owen Macri

Comment

to make it work they would have to find a black hole in pegasus or make one

Comment

Working...
                              X