PDA

View Full Version : Scotty is Gone

prion
July 20th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Scotty is gone :(

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050720/ap_en_tv/obit_doohan_6

Admiral Q O
July 20th, 2005, 08:26 AM
I just heard about this a bit ago. Let me say that he was one of the nicest people I ever met. He was so sweet and giving and he will be greatly missed.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/my1cutie/JamesDoohan02.gif

CatGoddess
July 20th, 2005, 08:29 AM
:(

LateFan
July 20th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Sad day for the Scifi community. He will be missed.

FoolishPleasure
July 20th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Just read in the Washington Post that James Doohan died today at the age of 85, from pnuemonia and Alzheimer's complications.

Gonna miss you Scotty!

Qasim
July 20th, 2005, 08:57 AM
I am saddened may he rest in peace

http://www.lightspeedfineart.com/Photos/DoohanA.jpg

Qasim
July 20th, 2005, 08:59 AM
May he rest in peace

http://www.lightspeedfineart.com/Photos/DoohanA.jpg

Egeria
July 20th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Aw, that's really sad news...RIP Scotty

TheWarrior
July 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM
He was a graet actor - it's a shame he has died.

One of his best lines I can remember or scenes was when he was saying to himself or to another member "I know my way round my own ship!" and then he turns his head and knocks himself out on a low pip.

May He Rest In Peace.

Qasim
July 20th, 2005, 09:42 AM
If you are wondering why I have 2 posts the threads were merged

BackStageJim
July 20th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks Jimmy, you will be missed. It was a pleasure meeting you and your family. Give my best to 'D'.

-Jim

DigiFluid
July 20th, 2005, 09:53 AM
'Star Trek' Star James Doohan Dies

By BOB THOMAS, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - James Doohan, the burly chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise in the original "Star Trek" TV series and movies who responded to the command "Beam me up, Scotty," died Wednesday. He was 85.

Doohan died at 5:30 a.m. at his Redmond, Wash., home with his wife of 28 years, Wende, at his side, Los Angeles agent and longtime friend Steve Stevens said. The cause of death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, he said.

He had said farewell to public life in August 2004, a few months after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

The Canadian-born Doohan was enjoying a busy career as a character actor when he auditioned for a role as an engineer in a new space adventure on NBC in 1966. A master of dialects from his early years in radio, he tried seven different accents.

"The producers asked me which one I preferred," Doohan recalled 30 years later. "I believed the Scot voice was the most commanding. So I told them, 'If this character is going to be an engineer, you'd better make him a Scotsman.'"

The series, which starred William Shatner as Capt. James T. Kirk and Leonard Nimoy as the enigmatic Mr. Spock, attracted an enthusiastic following of science fiction fans, especially among teenagers and children, but not enough ratings power. NBC canceled it after three seasons.

When the series ended in 1969, Doohan found himself typecast as Montgomery Scott, the canny engineer with a burr in his voice. In 1973, he complained to his dentist, who advised him: "Jimmy, you're going to be Scotty long after you're dead. If I were you, I'd go with the flow."

"I took his advice," said Doohan, "and since then everything's been just lovely."

"Star Trek" continued in syndication both in the United States and abroad, and its following grew larger and more dedicated. In his later years, Doohan attended 40 "Trekkie" gatherings around the country and lectured at colleges.

The huge success of George Lucas' "Star Wars" in 1977 prompted Paramount Pictures, which had produced "Star Trek" for television, to plan a movie based on the series. The studio brought back the TV cast and hired director Robert Wise. "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" was successful enough to spawn five sequels.

The powerfully built Doohan, a veteran of D-Day in Normandy, spoke frankly in 1998 about his employer and his TV commander.

"I started out in the series at basic minimum plus 10 percent for my agent. That was added a little bit in the second year. When we finally got to our third year, Paramount told us we'd get second-year pay! That's how much they loved us."

He accused Shatner of hogging the camera, adding: "I like Captain Kirk, but I sure don't like Bill. He's so insecure that all he can think about is himself."

James Montgomery Doohan was born March 3, 1920, in Vancouver, British Columbia, youngest of four children of William Doohan, a pharmacist, veterinarian and dentist, and his wife Sarah. As he wrote in his autobiography, "Beam Me Up, Scotty," his father was a drunk who made life miserable for his wife and children.

At 19, James escaped the turmoil at home by joining the Canadian army, becoming a lieutenant in artillery. He was among the Canadian forces that landed on Juno Beach on D-Day. "The sea was rough," he recalled. "We were more afraid of drowning than the Germans."

The Canadians crossed a minefield laid for tanks; the soldiers weren't heavy enough to detonate the bombs. At 11:30 that night, he was machine-gunned, taking six hits: one that took off his middle right finger (he managed to hide the missing finger on screen), four in his leg and one in the chest. Fortunately the chest bullet was stopped by his silver cigarette case.

After the war Doohan on a whim enrolled in a drama class in Toronto. He showed promise and won a two-year scholarship to New York's famed Neighborhood Playhouse, where fellow students included Leslie Nielsen, Tony Randall and Richard Boone.

His commanding presence and booming voice brought him work as a character actor in films and television, both in Canada and the United States.

Oddly, his only other TV series besides "Star Trek" was another space adventure, "Space Command," in 1953.

Doohan's first marriage to Judy Doohan produced four children. He had two children by his second marriage to Anita Yagel. Both marriages ended in divorce. In 1974 he married Wende Braunberger, and their children were Eric, Thomas and Sarah, who was born in 2000, when Doohan was 80.

In a 1998 interview, Doohan was asked if he ever got tired of hearing the line "Beam me up, Scotty."

"I'm not tired of it at all," he replied. "Good gracious, it's been said to me for just about 31 years. It's been said to me at 70 miles an hour across four lanes on the freeway. I hear it from just about everybody. It's been fun."

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050720/ap_en_tv/obit_doohan;_ylt=Ai9nKFbVxKPrY55ai2I6Be2s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3YXYwNDRrBHNlYwM3NjI-)

gatebee
July 20th, 2005, 09:55 AM
He has been beamed up to his final journey.

the Fifth Race
July 20th, 2005, 09:59 AM
:( You da man James.....

Vyse
July 20th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Very sad day, RIP James you will be sorely missed. :(

mazzmatazz
July 20th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Scotty finally got beamed up :(

RIP

UNRE4L
July 20th, 2005, 12:31 PM
"Scotty" the old Star Trek character dies at the age of 85.

R.I.P Scotty.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4701167.stm

Ses
July 20th, 2005, 01:22 PM

He did have a very good innings on the bright side.

Osiris-RA
July 20th, 2005, 01:24 PM
God Bless James Doohan, may he rest in peace. Sad to see another great actor go...

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
July 20th, 2005, 01:25 PM
The one annoying think about James Doohan is that he didn't appear in the Futurama Star Trek Episode :(

MartoufMarty
July 20th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Aww that's so sad.

Scotty was the coolest :(

chyron
July 20th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Given the role of Star Trek in the history of SciFi on television, do you think that the three-some (SG1, SGA, & BSG) should work in some sort of tribute either obvious or subtle to acknowledge James Doohan's death?

I would personally would like to see either a simple - 'Dedicated to the memory of James Doohan' text on black at the start of SciFi Friday -AND/OR- some way to work in 'Beam me up Scotty' into the dialog/action.

David H

Qasim
July 20th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Im sure SG will make some sort of reference

Terrah
July 20th, 2005, 02:00 PM
RIP
You will be missed.
Aye.

Jeff O'Connor
July 20th, 2005, 02:10 PM
RIP, James Doohan.

Jeff O'Connor
July 20th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Given the role of Star Trek in the history of SciFi on television, do you think that the three-some (SG1, SGA, & BSG) should work in some sort of tribute either obvious or subtle to acknowledge James Doohan's death?

I would personally would like to see either a simple - 'Dedicated to the memory of James Doohan' text on black at the start of SciFi Friday -AND/OR- some way to work in 'Beam me up Scotty' into the dialog/action.

David H

I totally agree with you...

Darkdreams
July 20th, 2005, 02:17 PM
:crys:, Ill miss you scotty you were the best!!!!

Seastallion
July 20th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Scotty was always one of my most favorite Star Trek characters. He'll never be forgotten. He will be greatly missed. :( God Bless him, and his family...

May a fair wind fill your sails, and clear skies to guide you on your way..!

Hatusu
July 20th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I'll miss you, Mr. Doohan. You were a terrific actor and a lovely man. You took my hand once in greeting, but you touched me much more with your work and your kindness. Rest in peace. :)

To his family,
My deepest condolences to you in this difficult time.

Nolamom
July 20th, 2005, 04:55 PM
You will be missed by your many fans. I hope that your ashes join the stuff of stars and new suns find a bit of their matter from the brightness of you!

starellen1
July 20th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Since I grew up watching the old Star Trek TV shows, losing Scotty is like losing a family member. My condolences to Mr. Doohan's family, he will be sorely missed.

Bast
July 20th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Doohan is a war veteran a "D" day survivor at that , He is a hero even off tv.

http://www.geocities.com/odin_centra/scottyhomage.JPG

Erik Pasternak
July 20th, 2005, 10:12 PM
RIP James

Sela
July 20th, 2005, 10:34 PM
God Bless, dear Jimmy. Sleep Well. We'll see you in the morning.

_Owen_
July 21st, 2005, 01:52 AM
Beam him up God. This is a sad day, it will be remembered forever, but we should not despair. He is finally able to live out all of his hopes and dreams, for anything is possible in heaven. Engines full ahead!

God bless you James... Scotty... Engineer...

Owen Macri

SGalisa
July 21st, 2005, 03:12 AM
Prayers of *comfort* for his family and friends. He is greatly loved by many.

It was sad to hear a few months ago that James Doohan was no longer doing conventions, due to Alzheimer's. Hearing about him now gone is even sadder. But, as others have already noted, he's been finally *beamed up*.

I also heard this morning that his ashes will be sent out into space, where Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry also now in part resides. That's quite a "transporter" trip, to be honored in that way. :)

Originally posted by chyron:

I would personally would like to see either a simple - 'Dedicated to the memory of James Doohan' text on black at the start of SciFi Friday -AND/OR- some way to work in 'Beam me up Scotty' into the dialog/action.I think that would be a wonderful tribute. Of course, it would have to be written well to be included in an actual storyline script.

Putting a simple dedication message on at the start of the program (without it getting cut-off from unrelated commercials) might be better than putting it on at the end of each program. It's a rare day to sit thru the end credits without the TV channels squishing the credits and advertising for future programming, of which some that aren't even SG or BSG related. I think some viewers are giving up watching the end credits. (that's more or less become a quick *Intermission* time.)

And maybe here's another idea: if his family would allow it, TPTB in control of this could also include it on this season's DVDs, too. (Just a thought for those who don't get the Sci-Fi channel.)

From me and my family:
...In loving memory of James Doohan... "Chief Engineer Scotty"

knocknashee
July 21st, 2005, 04:30 AM
RIP James...farewell for the 'final voyage'... :(

Perriman33
July 21st, 2005, 06:34 AM
Its a shame another great actor has died. But I bet almost everyone you know will have heard of him. You can't bow out of life better than that. :)

Bast
July 21st, 2005, 08:17 AM
I wonder whose urn will make it to the moon first "Roddenberry" or Doohan?

40th aniversary of startrek is next year, There wont be anything for it sadly.

I wish SG1 would do a "refference" and pay homage to trek by gating to a planet populated by billions of cuddely horny trebbles.

Be kind of funny actually!

the Fifth Race
July 21st, 2005, 09:10 AM
I read an article about how James Doohan became 'Scotty'. They producers of the show offered him the chance to play an Australian, Scottish, Englishman or an Irishman. They gave him the choice and he chose Scottish because he thought it would be funny if he played a Scotsman named Scotty. :D

Qasim
July 21st, 2005, 09:16 AM
Yeah thats right - this led to him being typecast as Scotty

Jonas
July 21st, 2005, 10:01 AM
RIP Jimmy! News according to Sci-Fi Wire!

To celebrate the life of James Doohan, who died July 20, Spike TV will preempt its normal Friday prime-time lineup to present a two-hour block of Star Trek episodes featuring Doohan as Montgomery "Scotty" Scott.

Blue007
July 21st, 2005, 11:58 AM
Star Trek was my first Sci Fi love, as I am sure most everyone's here. It is sad news to hear....noone will ever replace him in our hearts or on TV.

Qasim
July 21st, 2005, 12:13 PM
It was my first as well - though there are quite a few people here who hae never even seen Trek

Bast
July 21st, 2005, 01:12 PM
http://www.geocities.com/odin_centra/stuss_enterprise_a01.jpg

Heru'urs_first_prime
July 25th, 2005, 03:35 AM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
RIP scotty

BruTak
July 25th, 2005, 05:47 AM
Deeply saddened to learn of Jimmy Doohan's passing. :(

Favourite Scotty moment: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
The battle scarred USS Enterprise limps into spacedock, passing Starfleet's new wonder-ship the USS Excelsior.
Sulu (casually): "She's supposed to have transwarp drive..."
Scotty (unimpressed): "Aye, an' if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon."

So long Scotty, here's to ya! ;)