X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BSG Region 1 DVD Release Update

From TV Shows on DVD:

Battlestar Galactica - General Release for Season 1 Announced: Has 1 More DVD than Best Buy's Version

by David Lambert
    7/20/2005

Click on the link to view the cover design and DVD details.

We've reported about the Battlestar Galactica (2004) DVD situation, and how next Tuesday there will be a Best Buy exclusive release of the "U.K. version" of the show (mainly featuring a different sequence for the opening credits). Best Buy's 4-disc exclusive set (currently selling at $48.95) runs through September, and then Universal will bring the show out on DVD for other retailers.

Universal has announced their "all retailers" release this morning, and as you can see on the left, the cover is noticably different than the box which Best Buy has been depicting. The release is set for September 20th, and the SRP is $59.98 (which means you'll be able to purchase it anywhere from $40 to $55, after retail discounts are applied). The running time is 757 minutes for a 5-DVD package (one more than the Best Buy set), including the 2003 mini-series on the first disc, and there are many extras.

An added bonus item listed is "1 of 3 Collectible DVD Exclusive Trading Cards"; we're not sure yet what these are trading cards of, or how someone would obtain the other two cards in the set. We'll look into it, and let you know what we find out. Video is shown as " Anamorphic Widescreen (1.78:1)", and sound is shown to be "English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround". English and Spanish subtitles are on board as well.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Thankfully, someone came to their sense and tossed that $70 price tag that was original announced. $60 for the 5- disc box is not too bad since you are getting the mini-series which I still don’t have. I still think it’s somewhat high though considering it’s only 13 episodes, but it’s worth every penny cause I haven’t loved a show like this in who knows how long……….

Thanks for the info Sci-Fi.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

Man, I'm so totally waiting for the version released on 9/20. I never picked up the miniseries DVD and now'll be my chance, and since I've got three friends who want to watch but want to start from the beginning, I'll have them start from the miniseries and then onto season one's thirteen episodes come September 20th, and just keep recording season two until then.

Plus, I work at FYE, an entertainment/electronics retail store, meaning that pricetag'll likely drop for me as a result of employee discounts.
      If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Here's a link to the Universal Studios Home Video site:

Battlestar Galactica (2004): Season One

Release Date: 09/20/2005
        Packaging: Digipak with Outer Box
        Added Value: 1 of 3 Collectible DVD Exclusive Trading Cards

Price: $44.98

Disc 1

Battlestar Galactica: The Miniseries
        Run Time: 3 Hours 3 Minutes
        MPAA Rating: Not Rated
        Bonus Materials
        • Feature Commentary with Director Michael Rymer and Executive Producers David Eick and Ron Moore

Technical Information

Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
        Captions: English
        Subtitles: Spanish
        Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.78:1)
        Color
        =========================================================

Disc 2

Run Time: 2 Hours 58 Minutes
        Bonus Materials
        • Pilot Commentary with Director Michael Rymer and Executive Producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore
        • "Bastille Day" Episode Commentary with Executive Producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore
        • "Act of Contrition" Episode Commentary with Executive Producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore

Technical Information

Color

Disc 3

Run Time: 2 Hours 56 Minutes
        Bonus Materials
        • "You Can't Go Home Again" Episode Commentary with Executive Producers David Eick and Ronald D. Moore

Technical Information

Color

Disc 4

Run Time: 2 Hours 56 Minutes
        Bonus Materials
        • "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down" Episode Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore
        • "The Hand of God" Episode Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore
        • "Colonial Day" Episode Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore
        • "Kobol's Last Gleaming: Part 1" Episode Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore

Technical Information

Color

Disc 5

Bonus Materials
        • Behind the Scenes
        • Deleted Scenes
        • Battlestar Galactica Series Lowdown
        • Sketches and Art
        • "Kobol's Last Gleaming: Part 2" Episode Commentary with Executive Producer Ronald D. Moore

Technical Information

Color

Comment

Ok I need to get some things cleared up. It seems as though almost every episode will have commentary, how delightful. But will both the U.K. and U.S. verions have it? What are the differences then? I already bought the miniseries and it has deleted scenes too, and the lowdown if I'm not mistaken on it too. The one going in with season 1 doesnt seem to have those?

Does it all mean that the U.K. set will not have the mini but the U.S. one will? Or will there be a 5 and 4 pack of the U.S. one? What are the differences between the 2? If it's just that the U.K. one doesnt have the mini and the trading card (which I really don't care about) then I should get that since I already have the mini.

I need CLARITY PLEASE!
          Signature oversized: Click to view.

Comment

To be honest, I don't know if there are any differences between the UK and US DVD versions other than adding the mini-series to the packaging. That being said, I do know that the US broadcasts had more scenes in them than the UK broadcasts. There have been plenty of (episode review) posts at other BSG forums describing scenes that have UK viewers scratching their heads about missing out on and I believe RDM or David Eick touched on the subject too. So it comes down to whether or not the UK or Best Buy DVD's (4-disc set) included/reinserted the snipped scenes (probably to sell more commercial time or censorship issues) in the episodes or not. The prices seem the same for either set (4-disc or 5-disc). Personally, I'm going to wait for the 5-disc set, if only to get the trading card.

Comment

Wow that trading card! IM GOING TO BUY IT OVER AND OVER UNTIL I GET ALL 3!!!!!!!!!! lmao! jk. Yes the trading card is definatly what made me want to get the 5 disc one lol.

Comment

Any news on if the version are the same but the US had just the added mini? Anyword if the UK DVD's have those extra scenes they didn't get at broadcast for some reason I still don't understand.
                Signature oversized: Click to view.

Comment

Working...
                X