Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

asguard beam/wraith ship loophole (spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

asguard beam/wraith ship loophole (spoilers)

after the dedalus arrives it nukes a ship by beaming one in to the hanger, then after the first wraith attack, the dedalus goes after the seconed wave, they nuke 2, then the wraith find a way to stop us from beaming onto their ships. so heres my idea, the wraith have no shields so how about we just beam a nuke near the ship(a few feet, yards, miles,etc.) and set it to 1 sec so they dont have time to get away or blow it . a nuke's a nuke
    anyone up for some Armageddon?

They still have a numerical advantage unless we can nuke them all at the same time
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

I thought we where just getting bombed on and bailed. Did they say that they couldn't beam the nukes anymore?
      *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
      *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
      *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
      *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
      *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
      *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
      *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnarok13
        after the dedalus arrives it nukes a ship by beaming one in to the hanger, then after the first wraith attack, the dedalus goes after the seconed wave, they nuke 2, then the wraith find a way to stop us from beaming onto their ships. so heres my idea, the wraith have no shields so how about we just beam a nuke near the ship(a few feet, yards, miles,etc.) and set it to 1 sec so they dont have time to get away or blow it . a nuke's a nuke
        I was thinking this too, kinda like how Sherridan took out the Mimbari ship on B5 (he hid a nuke in an astroid field and then set off a distress signal to lure the enemy in - which would work with the wraith too I think - but I digress). However, in the Atlantis universe it does not appear Nukes have much power unless they are sitting right on top of or inside whatever they have to blow up. Theoretically if the bomb went off anywhere with in a mile or so it should do some kind of damage. Certainly the Dart that shot down the nuke should have been distroyed, but what can you do different universe, different rules.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

This was discussed earlier, maybe in the "Daedalus a disapointment?" thread. Hermiod said that they were enacting countermeasures that prevented him from beaming, which implies that the beaming itself was jammed. The exact quote is in that thread somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by tlfoust
            This was discussed earlier, maybe in the "Daedalus a disapointment?" thread. Hermiod said that they were enacting countermeasures that prevented him from beaming, which implies that the beaming itself was jammed. The exact quote is in that thread somewhere.

Good point...The only way the Daedalus can gain the upper hand is if they can do multiple beams with a cloaked ship. Then they would stand a good match against 12 Hive ships.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
              Theoretically if the bomb went off anywhere with in a mile or so it should do some kind of damage. Certainly the Dart that shot down the nuke should have been distroyed, but what can you do different universe, different rules.
              1) A nuke is not like an Antimatter weapon. If a nuke isn't actively detonated, nothing much happens (hence the current development of the US anti-ICBM defense net).

2) Most of the damage done by a nuclear weapon is from the concusive shockwave created by the radation imparting massive amounts of energy to large amounts of atmophere. In a near-total vaccum, a nuke would do very little. Remember, EM radation decreases X^(1/2) as distance increases (IIRC).

EDIT: typo

Comment

For reasons, some fo which gopher65 already stated, beaming a nuke into an enemy ship is going to be a lot more effective.

-You bypass the external armour
                -You can pick a good spot like the reactor core/hanger to set of secondary explosions
                -100% of the nukes power is transferred to the target
                -The nuke energy is trapped inside the ship so can't be deflected or ablated away. It's like holding a cherry bomb inside your fist.
                -The presense of atmosphere increases the destructive potential of the nuke even further
                -Warships would be built and braced to ward off impacts coming from the outside not the inside. Think of bracing yourself against a door someone is trying to push open. Now the door and person pushing vanishes and in the same second some one pushes you from behind. You're going to land on your nose most likely because you're braced in the wrong direction.

It's possible, and quite likely given that the Wraith ships sustain extreme accelerations and exposure to space based radiation, that setting off the bomb outside of one of their ships would have done comparitively nothing.

Comment

Yea or they can just take a cloak off a PJ and install it on the Dedalus which shouldnt be that hard sence they where able to cloak a huge city. The Dedalus would then be able to go hunting/nuking 24/7. Im also pretty sure the wraith wouldnt be able to counter measure what they cant see. Would this give Earth a upper hand sence most huge ships cant cloak. We might be able to trade it with the Asgard for some weapons or at least to take off the gay teleporting restriction crap off and add a few more so we could teleport 2-3 things at a time.

Comment

Also, the cloaking technology could be used on the Daedalus which would allow nukes to be beamed onto the wraith ships without risk of counter attack.

Climate Change - The latest news and information on climate change, alternative energy, global warming and energy efficiency from around the internet

Climate Change Forum - Discuss topics to do with climate change, alternative energy, global warming and energy efficiency

Comment

A little late kashi.

Comment

Since the Wraith know that the Taur'i possess cloaking tech I'd guess that the counter-measures against beaming are permanent not just switched on when they detect a ship

Does anyone know if you can even beam through a cloak
                        sigpic

Comment

Unlikely as they asked Sheppard to decloak
                          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                          love Torri

Comment

they asked him to decloak so they would know where he is so they can lock on to him to beam him. If you know exactly where to beam to/from then a cloak won't stop you, it's not a barrier like a shield it just makes you invisible to sensors.

Comment

If he was invisible to sensors then how did they know he was there?
                              love Torri

Comment

Working...
                              X