Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question RE Wraith shields & other stuff (spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question RE Wraith shields & other stuff (spoilers)

From the looks of things the wraith don't seem to have any shields (I ain't seen the siege part 3 yet, but I'm really looking forward to it) but you have to wonder, what do they put all their energy into? My personal guess would be their human cargo (assuming they have one) but I suppose that would explain a certain percentage of it, but where does the rest of the power go?

Something that struck me as odd about the wraith having no shields was that I can understand it being the case recently as by all appearances there's been no need as there's been no major threat from any other race. However, there would have been a major threat from the ancients, and even if the war did last 100 years (or was that how long atlantis was under siege for?) that surely would have been enough time for them to back engineer a version of the ancients shield. (my own opinion is that wraith ships are actually modified ancient ships, as it seems that they are modified versions of the ancients themselves)

So to sum up, if the wraith potentially had a real need for shields in their war with the ancients (they did beat them back to atlantis, so their losses musta been unimaginable ala soviet union in WWII) then would you agree that they potentially did develop shields, but never produced en masse as the ancients absconded?

I have a horrible feeling that their research may well pick up where if left off, not just for the battle with the SGA, but also to give one hive an advantage over the other in the potential upcoming wraith civil war.

any thoughts?
    We are the Wraith who say NI!!!

Or they developed shields but abandoned them once they found out that Ancient weapons had no problem penetrating them.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
      Or they developed shields but abandoned them once they found out that Ancient weapons had no problem penetrating them.
      You took the words right out of my mouth
      The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Or they are just dumb in that aspect - or we have seen the older ships and we haven't the better ships they are 60 ships they might not all been the same.
        i just love to give and recieve GREENS

Comment

Well since we atm don't know of any shields that could stop Ancient Drones shieldswould be useless against them, and from what I can see Wraith weaponary seem to use quite alot of power. It's not cheap spitting out a dozen of so plasma balls per second.

Comment

I mentioned this in a thread about 6 months ago... As giantevilhead said, whats the point in building shields when the enemy has weapons that will cut through them like a hot knife through butter? we all saw what those glowing jellyfish of doom did to anubis' fleet, him with his ancient derived shields. Building shields would no doubt be hugely costly in terms of energy consumption/ resource use.. Wraith went down the route of building ''disposable'' armies to deal with the ancients superior weapons- like the soviets during ww2.. drown the enemy in your own blood..just my 2 cents

Comment

From my limited knowledge of shields you need a huge ammount of energy to make them right, now the ancients had the energy cos they have ZPM's, but the wraith dont have any means of producing the huge amount of energy. Without naquada the races were used to wouldnt have shields either.
              the fact may simply be that the wraith are imcapable of producing the vast ammount of energy required, this would also explain poor hyperspace travel and their reliace upon the stargate and long periods of hybernation(to build up energy reserve for brief periods of activity in which all their reserve energy is used).

my 2 cents
              immhotep
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              Stargate : Genesis |
              Original Starship DesignThread
              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
              11000! green me

Comment

they carry a good number of cocooned humans and keeping them alive must use alot of power which they dont look like they have very much of. but why make your ships with a shield if they dont do anything?

Comment

Also, why worry about shields when you have OVERWHELMING odds.
                  302's lead the way!

Comment

If you're fighting an enemy who's going to make a joke of your defences either way you're probably better off just pumping all your power into your weapons so you can kill him first. Ships built in the fashion would also be incredibly dangerous when massed in numbers where they could concentrate their firepower or in ambush situations, the aim in all cases being to destroy or cripple the enemy before they can get very many of their better shots off.

Maybe that's what the Wraith did. I have seen siege 3 and it's looking like they're probably going to be the first gate race without shields.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                      Speaking of which, do you think there is any way to modiify the PJs weapons (and cloak) for the Daedalus?

Comment

because you can have overwhelming odds and invunrability.
                        sigpic
                        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                          Because you can have overwhelming odds and invulnerability.
                          Not if the ancients had weapons that destroyed the shield and the ship in 1 shot. Which is the only answer that makes sense. Maybe we will see shield on wraith ships in later seasons (as they figure out that we don't know have any weapons as powerful as that of the ancients, as Atlantis is out of drones).
                          Understanding is a three-edged sword.

Comment

if they could destroy one ship in one shot then why cant the fire 100 shots and take all of them out?
                            sigpic
                            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by xrayz
                              Speaking of which, do you think there is any way to modiify the PJs weapons (and cloak) for the Daedalus?
                              Also, couldn't you use the PJs weapons for the chair in Atlantis? I thought the PJs also use drones. Or am I wrong?

Comment

Working...
                              X