This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would happen?

If I was on planet "a", and I pointed a laser at my friend on planet "b" which was 1 light year away, if I shook that laser back and forth would my friend see the mothion instantaniously or would it take a year for them to see it move?

If I pointed a beam of light out into the far ends of the universe, then i quickly turned it, would the farthest ends of the light pass an area faster than light?

Originally posted by briguy213
    If I was on planet "a", and I pointed a laser at my friend on planet "b" which was 1 light year away, if I shook that laser back and forth would my friend see the mothion instantaniously or would it take a year for them to see it move?
    It woud take exactly one earth year, You are still dealing with the laws of relativity and the laws of Physics.

If I pointed a beam of light out into the far ends of the universe, then i quickly turned it, would the farthest ends of the light pass an area faster than light?
    Nope, Same rule applies, the laws of Relativity and Physics apply.

Aren't they just a royal pain in the arse?

Comment

Ok thanks for the answers. Why are you saying arse?

Comment

Why are you saying arse?
        2 reasons, it's a open forum, and you don't know if you have uptight parents watching over there childrens shoulder, so it would be safer to use 'arse' insted of 'ass'.

I feel it is more proper to speak that way.

Comment

Thats what I thought. I just wasnt sure if it was something crazy i didnt know about.

Comment

One more question. What if I had a large metal pole which would not bend. It is one light year long and spans between two planets. There is a stabelizer in the middle which keeps the center from moving. If I pushed down one side down, would the other side go up immediatly? Or would it take one year? It it takes one year, how would it if this pole does not bend?
            Example:

Key:
            ()=Planet
            ---=Non bendable pole
            |= Steady center point
            ^=pushing up
            v=pushing down

Step One:
            ()----------|----------()

Step Two:
            v

I dont know what the example is for. If it helps anyone let me know. I doubt it will.

Comment

Oh, you beat me Jaden! Oh well, nice answer, that is what I would have posted anyways. Well on the subject of "arse," I don't see a reason why people need to swear, most of the time they are words that you add into the sentence, but the sentence would still make sense without it. For example:

"What the (insert swear word) are you doing?"

And the alternate:

"What are you doing?"

Example 2:

Some times the words is input to replace another more socially acceptable word.

"That was some crazy (insert "S" word)!"

Alternate:

"That was some crazy stuff!"

or:

"That was crazy!"

As you can see, swear words are not a necesity, and in a forum like this, I don't think using them should be permitted, there are people who are strongly offended by words such as these, and there are younger people who view the forum, why should they be excluded because a couple of guys wanted to run their mouths.

Owen Macri

Comment

One more question. What if I had a large metal pole which would not bend. It is one light year long and spans between two planets. There is a stabelizer in the middle which keeps the center from moving. If I pushed down one side down, would the other side go up immediatly? Or would it take one year? It it takes one year, how would it if this pole does not bend?
                Example:

Key:
                ()=Planet
                ---=Non bendable pole
                |= Steady center point
                ^=pushing up
                v=pushing down

Step One:

Step Two:
                v

I dont know what the example is for. If it helps anyone let me know. I doubt it will.
                No the pole would move imediatley, however, the person on the second planet would not see you move the pole until a year after you pushed it down. Their end would move immediatly but they would not see your end move until later. This is assuming that you moved the pole fast enough.

Owen Macri

Comment

so you could communicate faster than light.

Comment

Yes and no. You would have to assign words to movments of the pole, or if you wanted to write in the sand on another planet. The problem is, this pole would be incredibly heavy, and the planets would likley move apart before you could wirte anything.

Owen Macri

Comment

Ok, pretend the pole was between two types of ships. The ships communicate with the planet but stay in one place. You could communicate FTL.

Comment

Ok, you have two ships? They have a pole between them, and certain movments signified certain words? You would be able to comunicate as fast as you could move that pole. If you could move the pole as fast as you can wave your arm, then you would probably be able to comunicate instantly, so if you sent a message using light, and then with the pole, your message with the pole would likley get there faster, give or take, assuming you are a great distance away from each other, etc.

Owen Macri

Comment

If it would be instantaneous then why would people doubt FTL communication?

Comment

Because, this is not communication as we would consider it. It is highly impractical.

Owen Macri

Comment

Because there's no other way to do it, as yet. It would be impossible to create a pole a light-year long. The idea is theoretically plausible, but not practical – it works on paper, but can't really be done.

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

Working...
                              X