This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I May Have Figured Out How the Nukes Were Jammed

This is my interpretation of what happened in "The Siege Part III", as well as possible plot speculation into "The Intruder" set to air Friday, July 22. WARNING: The following topic will contain spoilers in both my original post and likely in every response posted. If you do not want to be spoiled concerning these two episodes - and possibly much more than these - turn back now and read another thread. Thank you.

First of all I want to establish that this is mostly speculation. If I appear to say that I firmly believe something or state something as fact you should immediately frame that in your mind as mere speculation, because my writing style tends to be straight-forward and opinionated.

That said, lets get on with the good stuff. Remember, this thread will contain actual spoilers, potential spoilers, and much speculation, turn back now if you do not wish to be spoiled.

------------------------------Cut Here------------------------------

Shortly after the group managed to destroy the two remaining hive ships which were threatening impending attack and capture on Atlantis the expidition team picked up many more Wraith Hive Ships in transit to Atlantis to pickup where the defeated ones left off, way more - 12 to be exact. Lt. Col. John Shepherd had the best idea of his career thus far in that the team should take the Daedalus, which happens to be loaded for bear with Asgard shields, beaming technology, computers, and Tau'ri nukes, railguns, crew and etc., after the Wraith Hive Ships at one of their hyperspace jumps on their way to the ancient city, Atlantis.

Everything was going well, despite Hermiod being upset that the humans should learn that their actions have consequences, until the Wraith employed an unprecedented tactic - countermeasures to prevent the beaming technology from transporting the weapons aboard their vessels. The Wraith had circumvented the Asgard technology after only three ships being destroyed by this method. Remember, they only beamed Lt. Col. Shepherd out of the other remaining ship when his payload was about to be delivered.

How is it that the Wraith managed to accomplish such a feat? Remember, something is only as good as it's weakest part, and the Daedalus is a Tau'ri ship outfitted with Asgard technology. I firmly do not believe that the Asgard technology was at fault. Perhaps the Tau'ri electronics, computers or other equipment had a fault or exploitable weakness which was somehow linked or networked with the Asgard technology.

The premise for "The Intruder" - Friday July, 22nd's episode - is slated as, "The Daedalus is infected by a Wraith computer virus, while members of the expedition hope to return to Earth.", which it has probably picked up with its encounter with the Wraith's 12 Hive Ships. This virus is likely the culprit of the Asgard Transporter failure, and likely the consequences Hermiod was speaking of. Hermiod knew that by utilizing the technology the way that they were would draw the Wraith's undivided attention.

Thus the Wraith successfully stopped the destruction of their Hive Ships, put the Tau'ri in retreat, and thought they'd be able to easily take the ancient city of Atlantis because of the Tau'ri's frantic retreat.

Questions/Comments/Suggestions welcomed.

-illuminarok
    Last edited by illuminarok; 18 July 2005, 03:55 PM. Reason: Typos
    Sorry Ori, I was born okay the first time.

the virus may be the reason but i think its would have been easyier if they just jammed it. the tauri did so once who says that the wraith cant.

Comment

Originally posted by Acropolis
      the virus may be the reason but i think its would have been easyier if they just jammed it. the tauri did so once who says that the wraith cant.
      Did they really jam the transporter beam or was it only the remote control?

Comment

Originally posted by Spam
        Did they really jam the transporter beam or was it only the remote control?
        Just the control.

We didn't see any Wraith Shields. So I'm guessing its safe to say that they don't have them? <chin>

In any case, even the goa'uld can stop Asgard transporter beams. Goa'uld shields will block them. At least, Anubis's shields could, we don't know about the run of the mill variety. (See Revelations)
        sigpic

Comment

Also, I have a question for everyone who reads this to ponder.

The ZPM will be in Pegasus inside Atlantis, and as best as I can remember they don't have enough power to open the stargate to Pegasus without a ZPM on Earth. Since the expidition team will be able to return to Earth thanks to their new ZPM Module, how do they plan to return to Atlantis?

Comment

through the dedalus and other ships. uh i know i asked theis question before but i want the opinions again how long would the cargo ship jack upgraded take to get to pegasus from earth?

Comment

Jamming an Asgard teleport beam is not that difficult ,please try not to make a big deal out of it.

Remember S5 "Revelations" when Thor was capture by Osirus and Anubis .
              Asgard scientist Heimdall said the Goa'uld shield prevent any teleport beam into the mothership.The Asgard senor was able to scan the mothership and see everything on the computer screen, but they can't beam Thor out until the shield is down.

Teal and Jack were only able to board Osirus 's ship when Anubius was using the transport rings, because during that few second , an opening for the rings was open,but only for the transport ring ,not teleport beam.

Anubis 's shield was base on Ancient design ,not as advance as the Ancient shield on Atlantis,The Wraith had been at war with the Ancient for many many yrs, the Wraith's shield must be very powerful as well, maybe even equal to Anubis 's shield.

Comment

Originally posted by ckwongau
                Anubis 's shield was base on Ancient design ,not as advance as the Ancient shield on Atlantis,The Wraith had been at war with the Ancient for many many yrs, the Wraith's shield must be very powerful as well, maybe even equal to Anubis 's shield.
                The wraith do not appear to have shields. Watch The Siege Part 3 again. I didn't see any evidence of them.
                sigpic

Comment

Why didn't they just teleport them near the hive ships i mean its a nuke im sure it will still kill it. Not to mention the damage to the crusiers.

Comment

Originally posted by Helo
                    Why didn't they just teleport them near the hive ships i mean its a nuke im sure it will still kill it. Not to mention the damage to the crusiers.
                    Hence, the reason I presumed that the virus uploaded to the ship prevented transporter technology from being used period near the vicinity of the Wraith Hive Ships.

Comment

Very interesting hypothesis, illuminarok.

Usually I half dread clicking on threads where anyone claims they've figured out this or that, but this is really a very interesting hypothesis.

Have some green.

I guess we'll get some additional information to evaluate your hypothesis against when The Intruder airs. I'll come back and check out this thread again then!

Comment

The wraith have some type of beaming technology as well so they must have some knowledge of how to block it
                        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                        love Torri

Comment

My personal theory - which I'm a bit surprised noone else seems to share/think of (??) is that there is no Wraith countermeasures.

Hermiod simply pretends the Wraith have engaged countermeasures, because he disapproves of the use of the technology, and want the humans to drop the idea.

He reluctantly used it the first time defensively when it was that or having atlantis/daedalus destroyed quickly, but when it was decided to use the "strategy" offensively it might have been too much for Hermy.

After all there is noone on the ship that can test/refute his claim, since he is the only one who seems to understand the system (can disable the failsafe).

But I'll admit the virus is also an interesting theory.

But given the Wraith' lack of shields I fail to see how they could actually block the beaming. We are not talking Star Trek/Borg here. Why should it work twice - then fail 10 seconds later. What are the odds the Wraith just figured out a countermeasure AND had time to implement it in that short window of opportunity?

I'm sure Hermy has seem Star Trek and know that it's such an ingrained part of our culture, that the crew will readily accept his explanation

Comment

the wraith do appear to have no shields
                            but considering their only enemy was the ancients
                            if the ancients had the technology to penetrate their shields and they couldnt work around it having shields is quite useless..
                            they do however seem to have mean offensive capabilities if they could drain a zpm dead in a couple of days.
                            now about the asgard beam countermeasures.. if it was the "virus" they wouldnt be able to transport the nuke above the city shield.
                            i also doubt hermiod lied

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven
                              the wraith do appear to have no shields
                              but considering their only enemy was the ancients
                              if the ancients had the technology to penetrate their shields and they couldnt work around it having shields is quite useless..
                              they do however seem to have mean offensive capabilities if they could drain a zpm dead in a couple of days.
                              now about the asgard beam countermeasures.. if it was the "virus" they wouldnt be able to transport the nuke above the city shield.
                              i also doubt hermiod lied
                              According to spoilers, the virus is an AI. It may have specifically prevented the destruction of Wraith ships while allowing them to continue using it, as a means to cover up it's presence by making any failures appear to be the result of something besides system sabotage.
                              Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                              X