This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Frack' becoming overused on BSG?

The fictional profanity is a good idea, and helps to sell the fact that these are not humans we know from Earth, it is a different group of people, although they share many of our traits and looks, it reminds us they are just that little bit different. Also means they don't need to swear.

I was just thinking that the word 'frack' is perhaps being used too often on BSG.

With any profanity, use it too often and it loses it's power. Last season, especially early on, I think it was used more spairingly and therefore had a greater effect on me when it was used. I think I am becoming used to it now.

It was said quite often in 'Shattered' which first got me thinking about it.

I would hope that they either cut down on it's use, or get another word or two to go along with 'frack'. It's overuse could be it's downfall and lead to it just becoming another word that we expect to hear the characters say in a situation.

Thoughts?

I agree... the first episode I watched I was like "dude you guys use that word ALOT" but whatever... I think they should make up other words to go along with it so it doesn't seem like they are JUST replacing the f word for it.
    Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

wasnt "frack" in judge dread?

Comment

You have to realise it's a reflection of life on board an Aircraft carrier where "****" is used every second word so obviously it looses it's impact, thats why its done

Comment

Originally posted by buckner
          Frak was used in the first version of BSG so if it was used in JD (which i wouldn't know i completly forgot) it could be arguably taken from the original... however to be truthfull Frak is just a basterdized version of the f word that is as old as dirt.
          Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

Sorry, I spelt it wrong, well it can be the updated version for the remake.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade Runner
              You have to realise it's a reflection of life on board an Aircraft carrier where "****" is used every second word so obviously it looses it's impact, thats why its done
              Agreed.
              If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Good question you raise there, Scoobing.

At this point, I don’t think it’s over used. In that I don't think it has saturated the show.

I’m generally not a big fan of swearing on TV, but it does have its usefulness in certain situations. I think society is becoming desensitized to it, so we will see it used more and more. That’s why I think swearing can be overused on TV and lose it’s impact and thus people just don’t notice. Maybe that’s why I don’t think it’s used too much because it already has somewhat lost its impact with me. *shrug*

I agree with Blade Runner and that that’s why they use it as freely as they do - to minimize its impact. We are generally in a military setting, and I’m guessing people in the military probably swear more than my mom, who does her fair share. For me it depends on the context and setting it’s used. When watching movies dealing with the military or combat situations, I expect the words to fly. If they didn’t, I’d probably notice. Now if I’m watching some comedy, and every other word is f you, etc. then for me it gets old quick because it has lost it’s impact and they are just cursing to curse.

These people are in a stressful situation. Who wouldn’t curse? Especially the pilots who face death every time they go out to defend the fleet. Cursing becomes second nature.

As long as they don’t have Commander Adama use frak in every other sentence. President Roslin either. With him being in the top leadership position and kind of father figure, I don’t really think it’s appropriate to have him always let loose with the expletives. I expect him to conduct himself better even though he is hardcore military. And I really expect the President to not use that kind of language, especially not in public. Though I can’t blame her if she does slip one now and again. So I do notice when either of them says frak.

Maybe it’s increased use doesn’t bother me cause having watched Farscape where they used “frell” just causes me to not perk up and take note when they say “frak”. So I guess you could say it has lost its impact with me, if it ever had any impact to begin with. I expected them to curse. So when they did, it wasn’t shocking.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

I think they use it more in the commercials now than in the actual episodes. I haven't noticed it too much but I'm pretty much blown away and in awe to take it all in the first time

LEE IS NOT A CYLON

Comment

what the frack?!

why the frack would you frackin think that? i mean, for frack's sake....who frackin' cares?

ok, maybe it frackin is frackin overused, but given the frackin quality of the frackin show, i don't frackin care......

Comment

Originally posted by buckner
                      Can't remember "frack" in JD, I might be mistaken though. I know they use the word "drok".

Comment

I didn't watch the season while it was on but I did watch most of the marathon and I really think they overdid it on the frack. It's a good idea but it just seems if you use it too often it just begins to grate, get stale and turn silly.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

i do think they are using it too much

used sparingly, it's a great expletive, but 10 times in a sentence????

b-o-r-i-n-g!!!
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

they don't use it that much. Maybe once every 3 or 4 sentences isn't that much.

Comment

Thinking on the people I know who most often use swear-words, they only really use three. But I don't know any swearing people who restrict themselves to a single word.

Farscape had Frag and Dren, right? I wonder why the translator microbes left didn't translate them into Anglo-Saxon...

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                              X