This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pegasus Gates

I was thinking about this today. If a DHD in Pegasus was damaged or missing for some reason, is there a way to manually? In the Milky Way, the gates have the movable ring so manual dialing is possible, but since the gates in Pegasus just have a flashing ring of lights is a manual dial possible?

-Chachi
    Hermiod: "Crap indeed!"

I've always wanted to know the answer to this. There's another thread about it somewhere, I'll try to dig it up.
    JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
    VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
    MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
    LANDRY
    : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
    Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
    Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
    Mmm... Green...

Comment

Well, considering there is no inner ring, complete manual dialling is thus impossible.

Comment

If the DHD is damaged, and has been for a while, without cooralative updates, the gate shouldn't work anyway. (Provided Pegasus gates work that way. They might be more advanced)

But in a more 'what if it just broke' scenario, we do have jumpers....

Or maybe Pegasus gates won't even let you dial in if they are seperated from DHDs? (And don't have those 3 wierd things on them like we see on the space gates) We just don't know enough....
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
          If the DHD is damaged, and has been for a while, without cooralative updates, the gate shouldn't work anyway.
          That isn't the case. For example, in the episode Torment of Tantalus Ernest Littlefield and SG-1 were able to travel to P3X-972, which had a damaged DHD with no power, which is why they had to use lightning to power the gate.

Originally posted by Mio
          But in a more 'what if it just broke' scenario, we do have jumpers....
          Jumpers travel at ~2% lightspeed, so they'd be useless for a rescue. For example, in the episode Home, Sheppard tells Rodney that it would take 804 years to come get Rodney by puddlejumper if he broke the DHD.

Personally, I think you can "hotwire" a Pegasus gate, the same way Rodney and others have been able to screw around with other ancient technology (Puddlejumpers, terminals, etc.). As long as the gate has power, hotwiring a pegasus gate should be relatively simple, after you figure out which wires to cross of course.
          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
            Jumpers travel at ~2% lightspeed, so they'd be useless for a rescue. For example, in the episode Home, Sheppard tells Rodney that it would take 804 years to come get Rodney by puddlejumper if he broke the DHD.
            I was thinking more along the lines of: Use the jumpers as DHDs. Worked for Earth in Moebius.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
              I was thinking more along the lines of: Use the jumpers as DHDs. Worked for Earth in Moebius.
              Woo, I didn't catch that. Nice idea
              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                Personally, I think you can "hotwire" a Pegasus gate, the same way Rodney and others have been able to screw around with other ancient technology (Puddlejumpers, terminals, etc.). As long as the gate has power, hotwiring a pegasus gate should be relatively simple, after you figure out which wires to cross of course.
                That has some serious fear potential there, Think about it, Hotwireing something that can cause a 2000 Megaton explosion. I think I would rather take my chances with the Wraith.

Comment

We could always be nice and GIVE the Wraith that 2,000 megaton explosion.
                  JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                  VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                  MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                  LANDRY
                  : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                  Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                  Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                  Mmm... Green...

Comment

I think the concensus is that the Pegasus Stargates don't work like the Milky Way Stargates, the Milky Way Stargates have the rotating inner ring, the inner ring alows the gate to be "manually dialled" as we would think of it, ( a person turning the inner ring). Without the inner ring, the manual dial as we know it is impossible, however that doesn't mean that we cannot "artificialy dial."

I am using this term to differentiate between the manual dial and what some people have reffered to as, "hotwiring the gate." We could, in theory dial the Pegasus gates manually, by converting our computer code into electrical impulses and transfering the correct impulses to the gate, as the DHD would.

Owen Macri

Comment

I doubt you can manually dial the pagsus gate as its made of rubber
                      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                      love Torri

Comment

Lol, rubber? Really, you probably can't unless the gate has some kind of manual dialing feature built into it. Which would be cool.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                          Lol, rubber?
                          In the storyline its made of Naquadah but in one of the specials they showed that the prop that is the gate is made of rubber - the SG1 gate is plastic
                          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                          love Torri

Comment

Lol, well, good luck using lighting to power that one!

Owen Macri

Comment

Maybe each symbol has a little button you can press to choose that symbol.

Comment

Working...
                              X