• Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Comic Con News

From SignOnSanDiego:

Tuned in, turned on and totally television

Karla Peterson
    July 18, 2005

Click on the link to read the entire article.

Some excerpts:

EARNIE GRAFTON / Union-Tribune
    Last year, when creators brought their ideas to the fest, "Battlestar Galactica" fans were skeptical. But at this year's Comic-Con, they were over the moon for the show, a remake of a popular old series, but with modern sensibilities and drama turns.

While the movie freaks waited in massive, snaking lines to see sneak peaks of "Superman Returns," and the comic-book fans waited for an audience with the legendary Stan Lee, television lovers could use the four-day conference, its maze of merchandise booths and its barrage of panels and screenings to interface with their electronic friend in myriad real-world ways.

EARNIE GRAFTON / Union-Tribune
    "They're treating us like rock stars," says David Eick, executive director of the new "Battlestar" series, of cheering fans.

No such wellspring of affection awaited TV executive David Eick when he took His baby to Comic-Con last year. As the executive producer of the Sci Fi Channel's rather radical update of the 1978 spaceship drama "Battlestar Galactica," Eick came to the convention with doubts that turned out to be grounded in reality.

"It was the first time I was able to communicate with people who were very angry at us for taking their beloved title and doing something with it that they didn't expect," Eick said in a pre-convention interview.

"But then I felt the tide turn. As they started seeing snippets (of the show), this momentum started to build. At the end people stood up and said, 'I came here expecting to be bitterly disappointed, but I was pleasantly surprised.' Now, they're treating us like rock stars."

When "Battlestar Galactica" returned to Comic-Con this year, it landed in a ballroom jammed with supporters who couldn't wait to discuss this erudite, politically astute serial that TV Guide dubbed one of the best dramas on television. And one of the show's leading ladies couldn't wait to give the fans credit for keeping it aloft.

"You are deeply interested in the metaphysical," actress Mary McDonnell said. "You are deeply into politics. You are deeply interested in the environment, and you are deeply interested in sex. So thank you for that."

And after watching the first episode of the WB's promising ghost-hunting drama "Supernatural" and clips from ABC's eerie "Invasion" and spooky remake of 1974's "Kolchak: the Nightstalker," it was a pleasure to join the masses in the ballroom to pay tribute to "Lost," the show that resurrected the supernatural when it made its debut at last year's Comic-Con.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Working...
X