This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slang Question

hey, 2 words i was just thinknig about, can you jsut tell me were you from and what you think the word means.

To every one, do you know what "Skop" means?
    To no UK, do you know what "Snog" means?

i know this kinda sounds silly but i just was wondering about it.

Originally posted by Balthazar
    To every one, do you know what "Skop" means?
    According to Virtual Eclipse it's an acronym for Star Kingdom of Pegasus, but while that's an amusing coincidence, I think the South African Slang page is probably more accurate. "Skop" means "kick". Although not having any context to put it in, I don't know if that's the right answer, either.

To no UK, do you know what "Snog" means?
    It means to kiss.

Comment

yea i know what they both mean, skop is slang to throw hard in the north of england, i asked a few people from th south and non of them knew what it ment so wanted to know if its just us northeners who use it, and snog, i wasent shure if americans new what it ment cause i saw on graham norton show he was asking americans if they knew what it ment and no on knew.

Comment

In that case, I had to google the first one, but I knew about snog 'cause I read too many British authors and hang out with too many English-type folk online.

And I'm American.

Comment

yea i know what they both mean, skop is slang to throw hard in the north of england, i asked a few people from th south and non of them knew what it ment so wanted to know if its just us northeners who use it,.
          Really? I live in the north west and i've never heard the word before. Bah you silly north-easterners! Bah!
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

I'm German and I knew both of them...but then I'm a) a linguist and b) have lived in Britain (though not in the North...)

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
            Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
            ~CELLO!~
            ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

I've never heard of Skop, but then I am a soft southerner
              sigpic

Comment

I agree. I live about 30 miles away from London and I've never heard of skop. I've heard of most things like batty, pleb and all sorts of others. I won't go into detail
                __

__

Comment

Im no linguist, but i watch the bill so im up to date with my english slang!! Aussies have so many slang words i live here and find it hard to keep up! lol
                  Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey!

Comment

yea i know what they both mean, skop is slang to throw hard in the north of england, i asked a few people from th south and non of them knew what it ment so wanted to know if its just us northeners who use it, and snog, i wasent shure if americans new what it ment cause i saw on graham norton show he was asking americans if they knew what it ment and no on knew.
                    I'm from the North of England and I've never heard of 'skop'.
                    Oh honey. You say potato, I say vodka!

http://neuralgianostalgia.blogspot.com/

Comment

I´m from Estonia, i do know what snog means, but have never heard of skop....till now

Comment

I used to live in the north and now i live in the south ( ) but i've never heard of "skop" or any of my friends (who live in York) say skop.
                        i know what snog means tho... i mean, who doesnt?

Comment

I'm from the US... I've never heard of a "skop" and, before the GW Forum, had never heard of "snogging", either.

The first time I heard "snog" I thought it was really dirty, until I asked... taking it in context, it worked.

Comment

Working...
                          X