This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does 8 chevron take more (It should take less) power

IF the gate works by bending space, shouldn't it take less power to dial a gate further a way?

If you take a really small piece of metal sheet, and try bend the two ends to touch, it is a lot harder then if you have a longer peice, or a really long peice. Shouldn't the same go for the gate?

Originally posted by ~Thor~
    IF the gate works by bending space, shouldn't it take less power to dial a gate further a way?

If you take a really small piece of metal sheet, and try bend the two ends to touch, it is a lot harder then if you have a longer peice, or a really long peice. Shouldn't the same go for the gate?
    However, the gates do not work by bending space, they bore a wormhole through subspace to the other side of the galaxy (or to whichever gate is being dialed).

as for the 8th chevron requiring more power, think of the wormholes like high voltage power lines that send electricity around the country. The voltage on those is EXTREMELY high as well as the current passing through them because energy is lost in transmission over distance. It could be that sustaining wormholes out past our galaxy naturaly looses a lot of energy to the region of subspace that it is passing through. Damn you 2nd law of thermodynamics! Damn you!!!!!

-Chachi
    Hermiod: "Crap indeed!"

Comment

Its costs more to dial a long distance phone number...

Did that help?

Comment

Originally posted by briguy213
        Its costs more to dial a long distance phone number...

Did that help?
        LMAO!

That's just the best way to explain it lol.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
        Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Yes, I helped out.

Comment

Your initial assumption would be correct, except for two points. You are thinking on a linear plane, comparing three dimensional space to an also three dimensional piece of metal, but using the two dimensional surface to explain. As well, the universe, cannot even begin to be explained by a piece of metal, simply because it is easaier to bend a larger piece of metal, does not mean that the same applies to space, as well, you don't actully, bend space.

As well, Chachi is correct, the Stargates do not use space-folding technology, they use wormholes, a diffrent concept.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
              Your initial assumption would be correct, except for two points. You are thinking on a linear plane, comparing three dimensional space to an also three dimensional piece of metal, but using the two dimensional surface to explain. As well, the universe, cannot even begin to be explained by a piece of metal, simply because it is easaier to bend a larger piece of metal, does not mean that the same applies to space, as well, you don't actully, bend space.

As well, Chachi is correct, the Stargates do not use space-folding technology, they use wormholes, a diffrent concept.

Owen Macri
              You People…. it takes the same amount of energy to bend a 6 inch piece of steel as it does a 3 ft piece of steel, the energy required is just spread out over a longer distance this is extremely basic physics people

and the stargate does not bend space it creates a hole to subspace and then out of subspace

Comment

And isn't the larger piece of metal easier to bend due to having a larger moment? the whole force*distance from pivot idea. Space doesn't work like a huge see-saw (as far as I know, but apparently, we know very little about physics...).

Oh, and as has been stated countless times, the stargate doesn't work that way anyway...
                "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Originally posted by cozzerob
                  And isn't the larger piece of metal easier to bend due to having a larger moment? the whole force*distance from pivot idea. Space doesn't work like a huge see-saw (as far as I know, but apparently, we know very little about physics...).

Oh, and as has been stated countless times, the stargate doesn't work that way anyway...
                  (Owen you may want to take notes from this)

First, your thinking with regular physics, Yes if a piece of metal if big enough a ant can fold it in half, because of the weight of the object already pulling it down, but we are talking Wormhole Physics here.
                  In theory you can use a 9volt battery to travel across the universe via worm hole if you have big enough "step up" transformers , BUT the problem is this. When you are initiating a worm hole and keeping it open, it is the tunneling effect that chew up power, And yes, Wormholes DO fold space (and by wormholes I am talking blackholes).
                  BUT we aren't talking folding space here. The stargate sends matter through subspace which DOES take MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF POWER, cause it is first opening a rift of sorts into subspace, so it has to break the space/time barrier, second it is sustaning the wormhole that is going through the rift in subspace and 3rd it is transmitting massive amounts of data (by our standards) through that wormhole that is going through subspace. And if that wasn't enough, it has to puch another hole from subspace to normal space to make a connection to the receiving gate.
                  So the process of weaving in and out of subspace, sustaining the wormhole and transmitting is the prime factor of the power requirements.

Now think about it (I am going by Stargate Physics here) when the earth gate opened up to the Asgard homeworld "othalla" in the galaxy of ida it only required a energy boost from a liquid naquadah cell from a Jaffa staff weapon, and boosted to 10 to the 3rd power. Reason, Ida is closer to us where we are in our galaxy then to the Pagasus Galaxy (Secret, it takes our galaxy 10,000 years to do a complete spin around). BUT to goto Pegasus it required power on the line of 10 to the 22nd power cause it has to cross our entire galaxy to pagasus which is over (last I read) 194 thousand light years away from earth, where as othalla is only 92 thousand light years away.

I don't know if that made sense, but that is the reason.

Comment

Sorry, I don't have time to read it, so I will get back to it on Wednesday. Sorry.

Owen Macri

Comment

in one episode, DR Jackson explained the stargate with a sheet of A4 paper, put a hole through both ends of the paper then bent the paper so the holes were right near each other, he then explained that the stargate 'bends' space so you can travel really long distances, really fast.
                      I would say that the extra processes that the stargate computer would need to do to bend space would require extra power, nothing to do with distances, all to do with processing power.

Comment

Originally posted by jaden10
                        Now think about it (I am going by Stargate Physics here) when the earth gate opened up to the Asgard homeworld "othalla" in the galaxy of ida it only required a energy boost from a liquid naquadah cell from a Jaffa staff weapon, and boosted to 10 to the 3rd power. Reason, Ida is closer to us where we are in our galaxy then to the Pagasus Galaxy (Secret, it takes our galaxy 10,000 years to do a complete spin around). BUT to goto Pegasus it required power on the line of 10 to the 22nd power cause it has to cross our entire galaxy to pagasus which is over (last I read) 194 thousand light years away from earth,
                        The real life Pegasus Galaxy is 3 million light years away. Our galaxy is about 100,000 light years across its widest part.
                        where as othalla is only 92 thousand light years away.
                        I don't think we know how far Ida is, I'm pretty sure it wasn't stated in the show. There is no real life Ida Galaxy, AFAIK but I could be wrong. Also, Pegasus is one of the closest galaxies to ours, so one would think Ida is farther away (but not canon).

Comment

I think the key part about Jadens Quoted statement you have, is "I am going by stargate physics here". So when you say "real", you both are talking about different things. Need I make an example?

Comment

Originally posted by briguy213
                            I think the key part about Jadens Quoted statement you have, is "I am going by stargate physics here". So when you say "real", you both are talking about different things. Need I make an example?
                            I know, I was just stating what I do know, and what other fans have speculated. Besides, I wasn't talking about real physics, I was talking about real names of places and their distances.

Comment

Dr. Jackson, the doctor of archeaology was wrong, if that is what he stated. It is a commong misconception, in fact, many people explain wormholes that way, but in fact that is the concept of bending space, not wormholes, the apple is a closer example, stil not great, but closer.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X