• Show
Clear All

SciFi Arrives

From the TV Squad:

SciFi arrives

Jul 14, 2005
    by Jen Segrest
    Filed under: Drama, Sci-Fi, Cable

As I stand in the grocery store today trying to decide between the four covers of the current TV guide to peruse at home with my very favorite studs on them - and it hits me what a turn about The SciFi Channel has had since it's aquistion by NBC last year. They've finally arrived.

Three years ago they cancelled fan favorite and critic lovechild Farscape because the parent company, Vivendi, was broke and had no money to fund the next season. They instead put the little money they did have in getting Stargate to move from pay cable, and it takes off, and reproduces in another watchable spinoff, Stargate: Atlantis. They weren't in a great place, but they were surviving pretty well.

Then NBC buys them and actually starts making things better, something even I never expected to happen.

The rebirth the old cheesy Battlestar Galactica into one of the most surprising and addictive dramas of the year (if not all time). Even the most hardhearted critics who who hate science fiction love it and are hooked.

In four years since Farscape has left thier airwaves SciFi has gone from a network that couldn't get any mainstream media lovin', attention or credit even if they could've paid for it, to one that now has a collectors edition series TV Guide of four covers and it's now signature show is replaying on big brother NBC's primetime lineup. If that's not enough, Battlestar now is one of the most anticipated series returns of the summer. If that's not rags to riches I dunno what is.

I am literally counting the hours till Friday - who's with me?
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

[Hand up]!!

Comment

Working...
    X