PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Bamber is a brit

zintradi
July 12th, 2005, 03:05 PM
I watched the sci-fi friday preview on the sci-fi channel last night, and I have to say that I was weirded out hearing jamie bamber talk with his native english accent.
imho I think he does such a good job at concealing his accent that I thought he was faking his actual accent at first.

shinyredpants
July 12th, 2005, 03:24 PM
alot of actors do that. nicole kidman is from australia but in alot of movies she talks just as "normal" as everyone else!

Darkrule
July 12th, 2005, 03:32 PM
I watched the sci-fi friday preview on the sci-fi channel last night, and I have to say that I was weirded out hearing jamie bamber talk with his native english accent.
imho I think he does such a good job at concealing his accent that I thought he was faking his actual accent at first.

I don't think it must of been too hard i remember reading somewhere that his father is an American

Easter Lily
July 12th, 2005, 03:46 PM
alot of actors do that. nicole kidman is from australia but in alot of movies she talks just as "normal" as everyone else!
So Australians don't talk "normally" eh? :p

Jamie, from what I've read has a knack for languages... so he's obviously got the ear for it.

shinyredpants
July 12th, 2005, 03:50 PM
So Australians don't talk "normally" eh? :p

Jamie, from what I've read has a knack for languages... so he's obviously got the ear for it.

"normally" meaning how hollywood wants you to talk...or vancouverwood...hahaha vancouverwood...so horrible of a pun!

TameFarrar
July 12th, 2005, 05:12 PM
In all of the *Behind the scenes* clips on the BSG Sci-Fi site from last year Jamie speaks in his natural voice....so I guess it wasn't to big of a shock to me. Also he is fairly well known for the *Hornblower* series from what I learned last year as well. :)

MartoufMarty
July 12th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Hmmm...

The real question is...

Does he sound hotter with the fake accent, or the real one? :P

Easter Lily
July 12th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Hmmm...

The real question is...

The real one... of course... ;)

fair_nymph
July 12th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I really want to hear his naturally accented voice. Oooh.

I thought that his accent/manner of speaking sounded a tad stilted in the miniseries, but improved completely in the series, IMO. He sounds pretty natural now, although I don't see why he couldn't have kept his accent --Baltar has a british accent, so why not Lee/Apollo?

Maybe this should be in the BSG forum? Just a thought.

Easter Lily
July 12th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Here is an interview that Jamie did with the BBC...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/cult/2004/10/13/14859.shtml

Enjoy...

Blue Banrigh
July 12th, 2005, 11:38 PM
I vote real accent.

FoolishPleasure
July 13th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Hmmm...

The real question is...

I like him with his "real" voice. . .now that I've heard it. :D

MartoufMarty
July 13th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Yeah, I'm a sucker for the accents myself lol.

Ses
July 13th, 2005, 08:08 AM
"normally" meaning how hollywood wants you to talk...or vancouverwood...hahaha vancouverwood...so horrible of a pun!

What's that aboot eh?
sorry anyone Canadian :p

MartoufMarty
July 13th, 2005, 11:30 AM
What's that aboot eh?
sorry anyone Canadian :p
*slap*

Nah, it's okay :P

Space Monkey52
July 13th, 2005, 03:11 PM
It was great when someone asked how he "lost his accent" for the show at the BSG gone. He thought it was really funny and explained that he's not losing his accent, he's taking on ours. I like him with his natural accent, though I was really tempted to go "do the Apollo accent!"

MartoufMarty
July 13th, 2005, 03:28 PM
It was great when someone asked how he "lost his accent" for the show at the BSG gone. He thought it was really funny and explained that he's not losing his accent, he's taking on ours. I like him with his natural accent, though I was really tempted to go "do the Apollo accent!"
He does the 'Apollo accent' really well. It's so believeable.

When I saw the behind the scenes thing yesterday I just stopped and said, 'Holy crap!' lol.

Like I said, I'm a sucker for accents (English, Irish, Scottish) :P

Redwall
July 13th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I thought that his accent/manner of speaking sounded a tad stilted in the miniseries, but improved completely in the series, IMO. He sounds pretty natural now, although I don't see why he couldn't have kept his accent --Baltar has a british accent, so why not Lee/Apollo?

Presumably because Olmos doesn't have an accent; generally parents and children have the same accent. ;)

Easter Lily
July 13th, 2005, 03:59 PM
I suppose I saw Jamie in Hornblower first and fell in love with his accent there before I ever saw BSG...
Yeah, he's a terrific actor and obviously has a great handle on the American accent he uses for BSG. Sometimes I wish he had kept his proper British accent for BSG but he is suppose to be Adama's son afterall... ;)

Easter Lily
July 13th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Presumably because Olmos doesn't have an accent; generally parents and children have the same accent. ;)

It's interesting that with the increase in immigration all around the world, it has become evident that the second generation tends to adopt the accent of the dominant culture with some variation in inflection as can be seen Vietnamese or Greek Australians.
For Jamie to have kept his English accent, they could have implied that his mother was English. However, apart from Baltar, it sounds like residents of the 12 colonies are very much North Americans ;)

Blade Runner
July 13th, 2005, 06:46 PM
jamie on Sci-fi friday

http://66.49.253.213/Galactica%20Station/Multimedia/Video/SFF1.avi

MartoufMarty
July 13th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I suppose I saw Jamie in Hornblower first and fell in love with his accent there before I ever saw BSG...
Yeah, he's a terrific actor and obviously has a great handle on the American accent he uses for BSG. Sometimes I wish he had kept his proper British accent for BSG but he is suppose to be Adama's son afterall... ;)
Never seen him in anything other than BSG...

I'm drooling over his real accent...

*drools*

Ah crap! The keyboard! lskdjfsjdiofjdisojiofjod

:P

Easter Lily
July 13th, 2005, 07:18 PM
You must watch Hornblower... it's a fantastic series of movies set during the Napoleonic Wars. Jamie is featured in the first, third, fifth and sixth movies...

An Even Chance
The Duchess and Devil
Frogs and Lobsters (aka The Wrong War)
Mutiny
Retribution