PDA

View Full Version : Point of View (306)

Pages : 1 [2]

jelgate
February 21st, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hi. I'm new to the Stargate series and to this forum. I just saw "Point of View" in its entirety for the first time and I'm finding the alternate reality concept presented in the episode fascinating.

Was there ever a follow-up episode made concerning the fates of Dr. Carter and Kowalsky after they returned to their reality? It would have been cool to find out how these characters and everyone on Earth recovered after an invasion that apparently devastated most of the planet.
No

mrscopterdoc
March 3rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
I wonder if this is the #1 episode for the shippers? :) Nice to see Kawalsky again and of course have the Asgard save the day.

icsteffi
May 14th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Anyone watch Doctor Who? I am going back through and watching SG-1 one episode at a time, in the proper order, and I ALSO am brushing up on a lot of the classic Doctor Who. It just so happened that today was my day for "Point of View" and the famous classic Doctor Who story "Inferno". I thought it was a happy coincidence that both stories involve parallel universes and different versions of selves.

Shhh don't tell any of my Doctor Who friends, but I liked Point of View so much more, because at least there is hope for the alternate Sam and her world. Some hope for those left... The writers of "Inferno" just said screw the other world!!!! I like to think that Alternate realit[y/ies] Steff (me) is just as important as real me, and she shouldn't die either! :) :) :)

gateship15
May 17th, 2010, 12:26 AM
i watched this again and its still enjoyable

TrueAncient
June 11th, 2010, 08:31 AM
just rewatched this on SKY HD and must say it has tobe the worst episode going... Carter said she struggled to make it work the first time and its a asguard power generator but infact O'Neill made it in The Fith Race with the Knowledge of the Ancients

Girlbot
June 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Loved seeing Kowalsky again.:D

RedXian
June 13th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I watched this episode today and had to laugh when the AU Sam said she was from SGA.

SnowWhite
June 19th, 2010, 06:21 AM
I watched this episode today and had to laugh when the AU Sam said she was from SGA.

haha, yeah, I had a rewatch lately andnoticed it, too :D Did she say what the A stands for? if yes, I missed it..

Martina Magnus
July 14th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Oter realities that's mine :D :D :D I love eps like this one ... I have to rewatch this ep :D

maneth
August 17th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Loved this ep, in spite of Carter claiming she had trouble getting the generator to work the first time. That was a huge plothole!

My Sam/Jack ship went into overdrive, though!

armasiel
November 18th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I just loved how all the Jaffa hightailed it through the gate once they realised Thor was coming to kick their asses haha :D

Noxbait
February 2nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Awesome opening!!! Totally amazing in its unexpectedness and how can you top Kawalsky!!!! I like Jack's reaction when alternate Sam said "For crying out loud." Sam's expression was something to behold when he looked at her! Notice that Daniel didn't have a quick answer when Jack asked if there was a "me somwhere that understands what you're saying" funny...like maybe there isn't any such reality! Ooohhh Sams fight! ; ) Poor AU Sam, what a nightmare, to have lost your husband, then to see "him" but know he's not "him." Poor thing!

Oh love love LOVE the Jack/Sam conversation in the hall..."that was the answer." His expression and consideration of spending a few hours listening to Sam was adorable. "Quite the military mind, there Daniel Jackson."
Oh how I love Kawalksy. the scene with him teaching Daniel how to work the Quantum Mirror was great, Daniel couldn't wait to get his hands on it!

It's just cool that they rehashed the use of the Mirror and more people got to go on this ride. It was nice to see Jack and Kawalsky working together again. I really miss him. : ( Oh yeah, and Teal'c and Apophis sporting flashy new hairstyles. heehee...
Gotta wonder about the psychological reprecussions of killing yourself. Though Teal'c is one I believe could handle it best. ; ) Waay to funny, Jack asking about what Kree means! I love how Jack tells Daniel not to worry b/c the he's gonna have to find their reality again, "We knew this might happen." Nice friendship moment.

Trying to remember, is this the 1st time we've seen the pain stick being used, or am i forgetting something?

Super Asgard...run Jaffa run!
AU Sam sure was "kissy" wasn't she? : ) I do like how Jack was so matter-of-fact with the AU Carter. Nice eppy.

Gurluas
March 26th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I wish they had not destroyed the Quantum Mirror.
Imagine if they could have used it to go to a reality where the Ancients never died out and then get help from them?

FrodoFraggins
March 27th, 2011, 03:16 AM
8.5/10

It was nice to see AT actually show some real emotion for once. She barely showed any in past, including the episode where her father was close to death.

I found it to be kind of slow moving and I'm not particularly a fan of the Mirror or it's control device mechanism. This is considering that there are an infinite number of possible parallel universe to try to find, which means an infinite number of very similar universes of which to search through. Since that's how infinity works.

I wonder what the Asgard limitations for bringing people back to life are. I thought they might be able to resurrect Alternate O'Neill who had been dead 3 days.

DutchCarterLover
July 9th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Just watched it again after several of years not seeing it. O'neal was in top form in this episode " What does Kree mean"" "So its the same as Yoehoe" LOL

And off course its a real good Sam episode

LeftHandedGuitarist
October 4th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Alternate universes episodes in sci-fi are usually great fun, and this is no exception. It really makes up for the lack of action in 'Learning Curve', and is full of entertaining character development to boot. I love Kawalsky, it was always a delight whenever they found a way to bring him back.

- The wig Amanda Tapping wears for alt-Sam really doesn't sit right on her, and looks terrible. Conversely, regular-Sam has her hair far far too short at this point in the show, and doesn't look that great either!

- I love Jack asking Daniel about the meaning of "kree". It's just a joke for fans, but the fact that the writers included it is a part of what made this show so enjoyable to watch.

- I had no idea the Asgard could bring people back to life! The fact that I didn't remember this kind of suggests it was never brought up again, but I can't be sure. Maybe it was only something the alt-Asgard could do.

- The evil goatee on alt-Apophis is intentionally bad, I guess? A reference to the Star Trek evil twin syndrome?

- Amanda Tapping does a great job in this one, probably the most emotive performance she's given in the show thus far.

- I recognised the chair thing from 'Gamekeeper' in the Area 51 vault, but couldn't recognise anything else from past episodes. Did anybody notice anything more?

- Very cool that we follow on from the information Carter learnt in 'Learning Curve', and she's able to get the device O'Neill built in 'The Fifth Race' working because of it. But it looked like they left it in the alt-universe, which seems very silly!

- Teal'c behaved strangely here. He murders alt-Teal'c outright, depsite being told not to, and then says "our reality is the only reality of consequence." What?! I think it's plain to everybody that's not true, otherwise why the hell are you even on this mission?

- No wonder so many of you guys go nuts over Jack/Sam shipper stuff, when they make episodes like this.

RATING: 8 out of 10

Krisz
October 6th, 2011, 04:02 PM
One of my favourite episodes of the season, but also has the continuity error from hell in it for me!!!!

Just gets me going every time with the discussion about getting the power generator that gave the extra power to dial the eighth chevron to the Asgard home world working again. They say it was provided and built by the Asgard!!!! No, no, no!!! Jack built it as a result of the Ancient information in his brain from the Ancient repository download he got in 'The Fifth Race' to get him to the Asgard in the first place!!!

Love everything else about it otherwise! Seeing Kawalsky again, his reaction to Teal'c which turns to respect and his being grateful to Teal'c. It was a nice turn around to see how Teal'c was seen in the end by the alternate Carter and Kawalsky. Jack enjoyed that kiss from alternate Sam quite a bit there, and seeing his Carter's reaction to that is always fun to watch.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
October 8th, 2011, 08:46 PM
My favorite part is how Jack winces when Kawalsky says "she's my best friend's wife."

Seaboe

Matt G
October 9th, 2011, 04:38 PM
5pm and another ep of SG1...

1. Cool to see the Quantum mirror back.

2. Had no problem initially with the two AU characters staying.

3. The only reason Teal'c went on the mission was so that Samantha wouldn't die, other than that he's not going to care about anything in the AU and is probably disgusted that any version of him would be genuinely loyal to the Goa'uld.

4. What was the point of alt-Apothis's beard - not like there were two of him in this ep.

5. I really did not see any ship between Jack and Sam coming out of this ep. Certainly not first time around and it took a lot of effort to see even a hint this time around...'despite' having seen...

Divide and Conquer

6. What 'was' obvious first time around...contacting the AU Asgard was one hell of a gamble - for all anyone knew they could have been allied with the Goa'uld in that reality!

Solid ep but still outclassed by TBFTGOG!

dtheories
October 9th, 2011, 10:06 PM
- I recognised the chair thing from 'Gamekeeper' in the Area 51 vault, but couldn't recognise anything else from past episodes. Did anybody notice anything more?

I saw the communication ball...like the one used in Within the Serpant's Grasp, but I don't remember when they might have gotten hold of one.

General Hammond says, Some lines just aren't meant to be crossed, and that was before temporal entropic cascade tremors took hold of Samantha. The line Jack and Sam might have thought about crossing are the regs, but truly, there is zero chemistry between them, so I do find it hard to comprehend the 'ship' factor. It's all just a bit too convenient and too...network TV to have them trying for something that does not exist. The hallway conversation showed how *not* on the same page they were as did that final kiss.

RDA is the bomb in this though. Jack and his 'confusion' is just so perfect every time it comes up! He is hysterical and he and Sam in the briefing room after Kawalsky's comment about them being married, well, I'd enter this as one of the funniest moments in the series' history!

Great ep.

Inquisitor
October 10th, 2011, 01:43 AM
The thing that annoys me the most about this episode is that Kawalsky aid to Apophis after Daniel was shot "He told you everything he knows." Why would you tell someone who's threatening to kill that the person has outlived their usefulness?

Other than that, I've always thought this episode was particularly fun, but a relationship between our two worlds would have been even more fun in the future.

Jae'a
October 10th, 2011, 09:52 AM
- Teal'c behaved strangely here. He murders alt-Teal'c outright, depsite being told not to, and then says "our reality is the only reality of consequence." What?! I think it's plain to everybody that's not true, otherwise why the hell are you even on this mission?
Yeah, that irked me a bit too. If there are alternate realities, why would ours be the only one that would matter?

My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/13971.html)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
October 10th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Well, let's see. I pretty good season 3 episode.

I like seeing all those different realities. And the Asgard came to the rescue (again).

Tomorrow, SG-1 is taken captive by a bounty hunter.

mathpiglet
October 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I enjoy AU episodes and this one was no different. It made me wonder on what factors in the AU Sam's life made her so different from our Sam. Put another way, why did our Sam join the Air Force? Was it the Air Force which toughened her? What was there about the AU Sam that attracted her to Jack? In what way was AU Jack different?

These are fascinating avenues to explore.

Inquisitor
October 12th, 2011, 04:19 AM
I enjoy AU episodes and this one was no different. It made me wonder on what factors in the AU Sam's life made her so different from our Sam. Put another way, why did our Sam join the Air Force? Was it the Air Force which toughened her? What was there about the AU Sam that attracted her to Jack? In what way was AU Jack different?

These are fascinating avenues to explore.

This isn't really a spoiler, as it has nothing to do with the overall plot of any episode, but it does have to do with Sam's character development so it's in a spoiler.

I think it was explained in an episode with Jacob Carter/Carmen Argenziano that Sam's decision to join the air force heavily weighed on her attitude toward her father who she at first felt was responsible for the accident in which her mother died (Jolinar's memories).
Jacob was supposed to pick up her mother, but his work (the air force) took up too much of his time.
It's possible in the AU that there were other incidents which caused her to despise the Air Force too much and so she didn't join.

jelgate
October 14th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Deja Vu.

I feel like we have been here before. While not a bad episode its not really groundbreaking as it just feels like Thiere But For The Grace of Gods with a little tweaking. Yes we could nitpick about the differences between the two AUs in comparassion to the Prime universe in the large scheme the AUs aren't radically different. And fighting the Goauld SGC hardly seems new. Not much to get me excited for this episode

Starscape91
October 15th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I love AU episodes especially this one. AT did some good acting in this one and it was cool seeing Kawalsky again although I think this is the last episode we see him in.

jelgate
October 15th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I love AU episodes especially this one. AT did some good acting in this one and it was cool seeing Kawalsky again although I think this is the last episode we see him in.Wrong. An AU Kawalsky appears one more time

Inquisitor
October 15th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Can you really call the events in Moebius an alternate reality? (plot spoiler)It's more like an alternate timeline.

jelgate
October 15th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Call it what you want. Its just a matter of sematics

SaraBahama
October 16th, 2011, 01:24 PM
To quote Jack: "I get confused..." (with AU episodes -I don't normally like them).

Relavent points:

I disliked the wig they used for AT in this one...it just didn't look natural, which is odd, since the one they used in 'There but for the grace of God' was much better.

Having Kawalsky back was just awesome...why oh why couldn't we keep him?

The tenderness Jack tried to show to AU Sam was sweet -especially considering that 'feelings' and talking about them is not easy for him.

The ending with the Asgard coming to the rescue was a nice finish -hope abounds.

AT played AU Carter more emotionally because she's different from our Carter...and she's recently been through an enormous tragedy. I don't think AT's portrayl of our Carter is wooden or limited at all...rather she portrays our Carter as a woman who exercises a lot of control over her emotions -she only breaks down in the most extreme circumstances and even then she gathers the pieces up quickly.

Afterword:

I will say that as a 'shipper you might expect me go get a lot of glee from this ep...but since it is our Jack kissing AU Carter, it is just not the same. I did note a few subtle moments between our Sam and our Jack...but I made those observations in the Ship Discussion thread, so I'll not repeat here. RDA and AT project great chemistry between these two characters (prerhaps not in this ep, but in previous ones and in eps yet to be rewatched).

Lieutenant Sparrow
October 17th, 2011, 02:37 AM
A great ep. These AU eps are always fun to watch. And I always enjoy seeing the Goa'uld invade the mountain. Heck I enjoy seeing the Goa'uld over all.

Glad the AU Sam got to go back to her reality. That kiss at the end was awkward with normal Sam watching.

CompanionCube
October 20th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I watched this episode recently and kept wondering something...

... O'Neill asked Maj. Sam how's she dealing with the situation and she replied: Do you have a couple of hours? O'Neill said sure but she clarified that was the answer. What did she mean? I don't get it...

SaraBahama
October 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I watched this episode recently and kept wondering something...
... O'Neill asked Maj. Sam how's she dealing with the situation and she replied: Do you have a couple of hours? O'Neill said sure but she clarified that was the answer. What did she mean? I don't get it...

I think she meant that it was confusing and complicated and explaining it would take hours, not minutes; but I don't think she expected him to answer "ok" because Jack doesn't do the whole "talking about our feelings" thing very well. It was also a bit of a rhetorical question.

Matt G
October 31st, 2011, 07:41 PM
Just seen the fan commentary - boy is keeping the commentary synched a headache.

1. Again, even now - I see zippo between Jack and our Sam at this point in the show. Maybe that's because I'm a dumb Aspie who's cack with body language, I dunno.

2. Interesting comment about Jack trying to be more sensitive and the team not being used to that yet.

3. Yeah, first use of the pain stick thing.

4. Yeah, obviously another mission going on.

Nut_ty
October 31st, 2011, 11:19 PM
Alternative realities are cool. When Sam and Kawalsky come through the Quantum Mirror, it’s such a twist on what happens in this reality. Sam, not being Air Force, can marry Jack.

When Sam and Kawalsky return to their reality, “our” Teal’c kills the “other” Tealic. Jack asks Teal’c why he didn’t just zat him. He replies “Our reality is the only reality of consequence. Great line!

Inquisitor
November 1st, 2011, 12:06 AM
Personally I like to think Teal'c took his anger out against himself for what he's done in the service of the goa'uld, on himself... I think that makes for better character development :P

garhkal
November 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM
It would make sense since he did want to die to those people in S1 for his crimes.

Noxbait
November 4th, 2011, 08:04 PM
AT played AU Carter more emotionally because she's different from our Carter...and she's recently been through an enormous tragedy. I don't think AT's portrayl of our Carter is wooden or limited at all...rather she portrays our Carter as a woman who exercises a lot of control over her emotions -she only breaks down in the most extreme circumstances and even then she gathers the pieces up quickly.

Oooh, I very much like what you say here, and I totally agree. I especially love the last sentence. Thanks for sharing!:sam:

muziqaz
December 6th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Interesting episode. Those alt reality episodes always a joy to watch for me. Richard played being confused very well, not only about science talk, but being around ALT Sam.

Dimes
December 24th, 2011, 02:54 AM
One of the best episodes of Stargate!! :D

Dimes
December 24th, 2011, 03:05 AM
One more thing, Sam said SGA and not SGC, did she mean Stargate Atlantis or what did she mean?

Sam-n-Jack-in-<3
July 26th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Alternate Reality #2! In this one, Sam and Jack are (were?) married and Kowalski is alive.

The major sticking point for me was the interaction between Alternate Sam and Jack. She's just lost her husband and seeing someone who is just like him must be awful/confusing. :( Jack tries his best to comfort her, but in the end she realizes that he just isn't the same man.

Angsty but action-packed episode.

garhkal
July 29th, 2012, 03:46 PM
One more thing, Sam said SGA and not SGC, did she mean Stargate Atlantis or what did she mean?

Maybe in their reality they called it star gate authority..

Seaboe Muffinchucker
July 30th, 2012, 08:37 AM
The major sticking point for me was the interaction between Alternate Sam and Jack. She's just lost her husband and seeing someone who is just like him must be awful/confusing. :( Jack tries his best to comfort her, but in the end she realizes that he just isn't the same man.

What do you mean by "sticking point"? Did you want ASam to fall or Jack or what? I thought they handled it well. He was compassionate but awkward. He really didn't know this woman.

Seaboe

Starry Starry Night
August 6th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Until this episode I like Stargate, from this episode on I love it!

I really like AU episodes and this was a great one. I liked the awkard and yet intimate interesctions between Jack and AU Sam and our Sams reactions to seeing them together. Jacks reaction to two Sams was funny.

I find it interesting that Teal'c killed his AU self. I think it's because he couldn't handle the fact that there was a reality in which he was still in service of the goa'uld. He propably even thought he did a favour to that Teal'c, if AU Teal'c knew the truth about his God, wouldn't he rather be dead than his servant. This isn't mentioned or touched in any way, but it's how I see it.. Although I didn't get his comment about ours being the only reality of consequence..

I hadn't actually missed Kawalsky, but it was good to see him back. I wonder how his and Jack's relationship had developed if he had been able to stay.. They are good friends in both realities, but they still surely have experienced different things together..

Dave2
August 6th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Having watched this episode a second time after watching virtually all seasons I wondered about things I didn't think about the first time: how did the Asgard of the parallel universe get to Earth SO FAST after Alternate Sam told them about the goa'uld? And what would have happened to Earth after the goa'uld escaped thanks to the Asgard? Weren't the Asgard already aware of Earth in that reality?
Conceivably OUR SGC would have wanted to maintain contact with those alternative realities, something which could have been a story arc for a movie or for several episodes. We'd all like to know what happened to that Earth, to Alternate Sam, Alternate Hammond and Alternate Kowalski. In their reality there will not be a Jaffa Teal'c to help them, nor even a Dr. Jackson, although we don't know whether Daniel never existed in that reality or was a professor in some university in Texas or something.

One of the best episodes of Stargate!! :D

ComtessedeBussy
August 14th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Just like everyone else, I loved this episode! I love all the alternate reality episodes (including the ones from SGA, because those were hilarious). Characters talking to themselves? Priceless.

I also think it's a great insight into the reality we are watching. As someone pointed out in this ep, it's the differences between this reality and all the realities we've seen where the Goul'd take over Earth that really make the difference. Teal'c coming over to this side, Carter joining the Air Force, Daniel Jackson being a part of the team...they're what make a difference. It's a reminder of the significance of each character, and also a reminder of the significance of particular choices. The decision Teal'c made to betray Apophis literally becomes a choice that [helped] save Earth. I do wonder about how the Jackson in the alternate reality managed to throw Catherine out of his office (as I remember from the original movie, he was in no position to throw anyone out of anywhere when Catherine found him).

And, following up on that come my comments on Sam/Jack. They were (obviously) married in the alternate reality, but the alt. reality Carter didn't really have any chemistry with this Jack, he wasn't really the same. They made that pretty clear, in this sort of heartbreaking way (how WEIRD must that be to have your dead husband who's not your husband there like that?) And, given the suggestion that it's the differences in this reality that permit the Goul'd to take over Earth...couldn't one suppose that the Sam/Jack relationship is one of those things? That it's somehow not meant to be, because it's a choice that belongs with a bunch of other choices that managed to lead the Goul'd to earth? I'm not sure I'm explaining this particularly well, and I don't want to anger any Sam/Jack shippers. But I've never really seen the chemistry between Sam and Jack, I really don't get the ship, and it strikes me as significant that it's something we've really seen possible (as far as I've seen, which is season 3) in what one might call 'failed' realities.

Okay, rant over.

Starry Starry Night
August 31st, 2012, 01:37 AM
And, following up on that come my comments on Sam/Jack. They were (obviously) married in the alternate reality, but the alt. reality Carter didn't really have any chemistry with this Jack, he wasn't really the same. They made that pretty clear, in this sort of heartbreaking way (how WEIRD must that be to have your dead husband who's not your husband there like that?) And, given the suggestion that it's the differences in this reality that permit the Goul'd to take over Earth...couldn't one suppose that the Sam/Jack relationship is one of those things? That it's somehow not meant to be, because it's a choice that belongs with a bunch of other choices that managed to lead the Goul'd to earth? I'm not sure I'm explaining this particularly well, and I don't want to anger any Sam/Jack shippers. But I've never really seen the chemistry between Sam and Jack, I really don't get the ship, and it strikes me as significant that it's something we've really seen possible (as far as I've seen, which is season 3) in what one might call 'failed' realities.

Although I'm a shipper, I don't really find it "satisfying" to see alternate universe Sam with our Jack. I agree, there is something missing.. I do see the chemistry between the characters (but I understand not all do..) but it's so much related to all those situations they experience together... The alternate universe Sam and this universe Jack don't really have a history together. Also their experiences of their relationship with each other are so different.. Sam who is married to Jack and Jack who is a friend of Sam. It's like they're out of sync. (I hope I could express it so it makes sense).

That's an interesting point about how Goa'uld attack earth on those realities where Sam and Jack are together... Obviously, as a shipper, I don't see it as a sign that it's not meant to be. ;) But now that you mention it... there is a connection. What is it that keeps Sam and Jack from getting together in this reality? It's the regs. As Sam mentions in this ep, her not joining the military is one of those differences between the realities where the goa'uld attack is successful and where it's not. And in those realities, where Sam is a civilian, she and Jack are free to begin a romantic relationship.

Ouch! So how to solve it? I guess I would interpret it so, that what is "meant to be" is that Sam and Jack (along with the rest of SG-1) are supposed to first save the earth (x number of times) and in the end, they should have each other! :D (Oki, that's my personal way of looking at it..)

Brother Freyr
September 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Ouch! So how to solve it?
Pretty simple, really. Jack retires (again) and is re-hired as a civilian contract employee. Good for real life, bad for television.

fems
September 4th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Pretty simple, really. Jack retires (again) and is re-hired as a civilian contract employee. Good for real life, bad for television.

Depends on what function Jack would have, considering frat regs also apply to relationships between AF personnel and civilian contracts.

garhkal
September 4th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Especially when working at the same command.

sgelite
November 17th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Just watching this episode again and I had to point out the bit that always makes me chuckle, no doubt it was mentioned in the many pages before so sorry if this is going over old ground.
For every reality there exist's an alternate reality! ok we all know that, Alternate realities 101 right?:sam59:
the Controller for the quantum mirror has the ability to find alternate realities and set the mirror to that reality but as Kowolski said "don't turn it of (the controller) or we'll have to search from near where it was" bear in mind, INFINITE possibilities!!
Long story short(er) Daniel has to search for the right reality, under threat of impending doom, with infinite possibilities and lo and behold finds the right one:daniel:
My problem with this scenario (if you haven't guessed yet:D ) is the loose way they flirted with the term infinite!
I mean come on people, infinite. an unending assortment of realities, some almost identical to ours thats a lot to chose from and that dial had no visible marking system I could see.
Not having a go or anything as I love the episode, it just as I said, makes me chuckle :)
But on a side note do you know who I think would have benefited greatly from the mirror?, The Asgard!!:thoranime07:
They could have used it to find a version of themselves that had not started to deteriorate due to cloning and been able to gather samples that would ultimately saved their race.
And let's face it we know their would be such a reality out there because as i stated once or twice before, the choice was INFINITE. :) Well IMO anyway:jack_new_anime06:

Major Clanger
January 6th, 2013, 06:26 AM
not a bad ep but in the end the thing that really stands out is Teal'c's observation that the only reality that matters is your own. That's why he had absolutely no qualms about killing AR Teal'c.

But seriously. They should have destroyed the mirror yonks ago. Now there is an Apophis that knows about the multiverse. He's coming...

fems
January 6th, 2013, 06:45 AM
not a bad ep but in the end the thing that really stands out is Teal'c's observation that the only reality that matters is your own. That's why he had absolutely no qualms about killing AR Teal'c.

But seriously. They should have destroyed the mirror yonks ago. Now there is an Apophis that knows about the multiverse. He's coming...

I think the question is can they destroy the mirror? It wasn't up until season 9 I believe that they could find a way to destroy a Stargate (and with it almost an entire planet), and it was suspected the quantum mirror was also made of naquadah. Not to mention the kind of power source (if not naquadah in one way or another) that would be needed to create a portal into an alternate reality. I'm not sure they could safely destroy a quantum mirror, especially not when looking back to the explosion (and all the gamma and particle radiation) of Sam's experiment in Singularity when she tested minute samples of the naquadah and potassium found in Cassandra's chest.

I was also under the impression that the Asgard had killed the alternate Apophis after beaming him up, since they are enemies of the Goa'uld.

Major Clanger
January 6th, 2013, 09:29 AM
what happens to the jaffa and Goa'uld the Asgard hoover up? Are they really that ruthless?

fems
January 6th, 2013, 09:47 AM
what happens to the jaffa and Goa'uld the Asgard hoover up? Are they really that ruthless?

Dunno. We were never shown what happened with Heru'ur's Jaffa either in Thor's Chariot, but there must be a reason the Goa'uld are all terrified of the "Reenlokia". Heru'ur certainly seemed to think fleeing was a better option than staying there and having a word with the Asgard about interfering... Although I can imagine the Asgard extracting a symbiote from its host and thereby saving the host. No idea what their opinion is on Jaffa though. They never offered to make something like tretonin for them to free them, so they probably saw them as an enemy (with the exception of Teal'c).

garhkal
January 9th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Perhaps they get converted to matter for the asgard to build other stuff from.

GusF
April 25th, 2013, 06:37 AM
After the classic Season One episode "There But for the Grace of God", this marks the series' second exploration of the concept of alternate realities, which has always been one of my favourite science fiction storytelling devices as we are often given the glimpse of a world where the characters not only fail in their goals but sacrifice their lives in the attempt. Such stories show the audience just how much is at stake if the normal versions of the characters fail in their mission without the worst of all worlds coming to pass in this one. In that respect, "Point of View" is a follow-up to the aforementioned episode as it likewise depicts an Earth which has suffered the full force of a devastating Goa'uld attack. While the Earth of this reality's fate is harrowing, it is not as bleak as that of the Earth featured in "There But for the Grace of God", thanks to the efforts of the SG-1 that we know and love.

As I mentioned in my review of that episode, one of the most engaging and engrossing aspects of alternate realities for me as a viewer lies in the fact that we are often presented with characters who are the same but different from the ones with whom we are familiar. In this instance, this narrative device is perfectly illustrated with Doctor Samantha Carter. Unlike her counterpart in our reality, she never joined the military and worked as a civilian scientist at the SGA (possibly as a member of SG-1) until the Goa'uld attack which forced her to flee to our reality with Major Charles Kawalsky in search of sanctuary. Perhaps due to her lack of military training, she is far more emotional than the Sam of our reality and appears to suffer from feelings of both inadequacy and resentment towards her counterpart due to the fact that, unlike her, our Sam was able to figure out a way to defeat the Goa'uld invasion with only a few days of advance warning. However, she is eventually able to overcome these feelings and the two Sams are able to work together well. If she had stuck around, the two Sams would have been able to solve all of the SGC's future problems in record time instead of just in the nick of time! By far the biggest difference in this version of Sam is that she was married to the Jack O'Neill of her reality, who was killed in front of her several days earlier while (unsuccessfully) defending Cheyenne Mountain from the Jaffa incursion. While the alternate Jack featured in "There But for the Grace of God" was a cold and nasty bastard, her description of his counterpart in her reality suggests that he was extremely similar to our Jack, which makes his presence at the SGC all the more difficult for her. She finds herself grieving for her late husband in a world where he is still alive but where they did not have a romantic relationship. His similarities and his differences to the Jack that she loved and lost make it almost impossible to come to terms with her husband's death while she remains in our reality.

Outside of her personal life, another major difference between our Sam and Dr. Carter lies in the fact that it was her who figured how to activate the Stargate while, in our reality, this distinction belonged to Daniel. Given that Daniel was never part of the Stargate program in her reality, the events of the original "Stargate" film presumably proceeded very differently. Although no information is given about the start of her relationship with Jack, I like to imagine that Dr. Carter accompanied Jack on the first mission through the Stargate to Abydos, helped him defeat Ra and was able to help him get his life back together and come to terms with Charlie's death, all of which Daniel did in the film. While these events marked the beginning of Jack and Daniel's very close friendship in our reality, I choose to imagine that the same events led to Jack and Sam falling in love in this reality. Speaking of Daniel, it is never made clear what became of him in the alternate reality. It is possible that he was killed in the Goa'uld attack on Earth, as was his counterpart in "There But for the Grace of God". Then again, he could have died as a child along with his parents or he may not have even been born. It's fun to speculate on the myriad possibilities. Of the other characters, the General Hammond of their reality appears to be identical to the one from our reality while their Dr. Frasier was mentioned but not seen, suggesting that she died during the Goa'uld attack on the base.

In the alternate reality, Teal'c is still serving as the First Prime of Apophis (who is still alive and one of the most powerful Goa'uld System Lords, though our Apophis would soon return from the dead and seize power once again so swings and roundabouts!). While the alternate Teal'c in "There But for the Grace of God" was much the same as ours except for the ponytail, this Teal'c's snazzy little goatee is by the far the smallest difference between him and our Teal'c. Although he has only about a minute worth of screentime, the fact that he brands our Teal'c a "shol'va" for describing Apophis as a false god speaks volumes about his character. This Teal'c seemingly lacked the benefit of Bra'tac's influence, who taught our Teal'c from an early age that Apophis was no more a god than he was and that the Goa'uld were conquerors who had enslaved his people. This Teal'c, the Goebbels to Apophis' Hitler, represents everything that our Teal'c despises about his own people so I imagine that he felt that he had no choice but to kill him. While they shared identical DNA, they were far from being the same person.

One of the unsung heroes of the series is Jay Acovone as Kawalsky, who returns in this episode for the second of three times after his death in the series' second episode "The Enemy Within". While I realise that the death of a popular and important character was necessary to illustrate to the audience just how much a threat the Goa'uld posed, I regret that it was necessary. Kawalsky's continued survival is perhaps the only way in which the alternate reality is in any way better than ours. I'm sure that he was invaluable to the SGA before the Goa'uld invaded and will continue to be invaluable in the rebuilding of Earth with the help of the Asgard, whose use in this episode, while a deus ex machina (if Thor was involved, almost a literal one!) was inspired. They seem to be the same benevolent protectors of humanity as in our reality.

As in "There But for the Grace of God", it's fairly unlikely that any of the events portrayed in the series to date happened here. Needless to say, the events of the Daniel- and Teal'c-centric episodes definitely didn't take place but I can't think of events from any other episodes which definitely did take place except for the discovery of the Abydos cartouche and even that must have surely occurred under very different circumstances than those portrayed in "Children of the Gods", perhaps even during the events of the film.

Falcon Horus
June 3rd, 2013, 03:17 PM
PoV - interesting episode.

Sidenote: if Jack can't handle two Carters, it's a good thing he wasn't around when they were dealing with a dozen Carters when the SGC turned into the grand central station of the multiverse. :p

I really don't like AU!Carter's hair... at one point the wig's not even put on right and you can see the line where it's glued to AT's head. :S

Anyhow, we revisit the quantum mirror which we learn has been gathering up dust in area 51. Nice to see Kawalsky again.

Chris at least wearing actual chainmail this time round. Okay, I really like chainmail... it's cool! Kinda like how bowties are cool. His goatee, however, mixed feelings on that. Same for Apophis' facial hair... that was just too AU. :p

Also, Carter's face when they're watching the interview with Doctor Carter in the briefing room - beyond priceless! :p

Radio Picon
November 15th, 2013, 06:00 AM
I've never been very interested in AU stories. I just kind of tolerate them as they seem to often be stories about exact opposite types of characters. This one was different in that the characters weren't as different at all. I like that Stargate did it this way. And Amanda Tapping did a great job as well. She really is a better actress than realized having only sporadically seen SG-1 through the years.

Sparky She-Demon
November 15th, 2013, 08:44 AM
PoV - interesting episode.
Sidenote: if Jack can't handle two Carters, it's a good thing he wasn't around when they were dealing with a dozen Carters when the SGC turned into the grand central station of the multiverse. :p

It's also probably good that he wasn't there for one other reason other than there being too many Sams! :D ;)

Falcon Horus
November 15th, 2013, 10:01 AM
It's also probably good that he wasn't there for one other reason other than there being too many Sams! :D ;)

Not everything is about Sam/Jack you know, so stop wacking me around the ears with it. I do not, never will and absolutely hate the thought of that ship. Thank you. :mckay:

Sparky She-Demon
November 15th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Not everything is about Sam/Jack you know, so stop wacking me around the ears with it. I do not, never will and absolutely hate the thought of that ship. Thank you. :mckay:

I will do my best to stop doing that.

garhkal
November 16th, 2013, 11:03 PM
I've never been very interested in AU stories. I just kind of tolerate them as they seem to often be stories about exact opposite types of characters. This one was different in that the characters weren't as different at all. I like that Stargate did it this way. And Amanda Tapping did a great job as well. She really is a better actress than realized having only sporadically seen SG-1 through the years.

I feel some AU stories have been done well, such as "There but for the grace", or "Ripple effect". Others were just ok, such as "The road not taken", or "Mckay and Mrs miller". Just depends who you ask.

Sparky She-Demon
November 17th, 2013, 08:23 AM
There are a few Ripple Effect AU's that I like as well.

Mnikolic
November 17th, 2013, 07:34 PM

Besides, he coould't have handled all the sexiness either. Well... at least I couldn't. ;)

garhkal
November 17th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Which made me glad when they DID ripple effect, that they didn't have Mccay show up.

Sparky She-Demon
November 18th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Which made me glad when they DID ripple effect, that they didn't have Mccay show up.

But they did have a runner up show his face! :D

ajay
March 23rd, 2014, 03:39 PM
I really enjoy this episode. It's fun and reveals a lot about our favorite characters.

Some random observations:

The storage room at Area 51. Despite Kinsey and other political bobble-heads complaining about the lack of tech being brought back from trips through the gate, there seems to be an awful lot of stuff gathering dust on the shelves. The game chair, a long range communication device (where did they get that from?). Maybe their world could do with another Carter to figure out how all that stuff works, cos obviously Reynolds and his group can't keep up!

The Asgard got to Earth awfully quick. I suspect they just happened to be in the area on one of their 'observation' trips, scaring the locals, rousing up UFO sightings, and such. The one consistency amongst all realities so far? We always need to ask the Asgard for help. They don't seem to be willing on their own.

Since when can they restore the dead?

After comforting Alternate Carter, Jack is all too willing to help 'our' Carter and listen to her feelings for a few hours, only to be shot down. Poor Jack. He's so confused.

Who'd a thunk Kawalsky was a shipper? A military man, he basically said screw the regs because he thought Sam and Jack "looked good together". Makes me like his character even more :)

Insolent Slave
August 26th, 2014, 09:54 AM
New observation for me on this episode which is now bothering me due to it kind of negates at least a half dozen future plot lines in both SG-1 and SGA (maybe even SGU). So the two Sams get the power booster thing to work that Jack built with Ancient knowledge and they do it seemingly easy without caveats of “impossible to do it again.” This device of course allows them to dial the 7th chevron to reach the Asgard. However, after this episode they never mention that device again and instead spend 6+ episodes looking for ZPMs to essentially do the same thing the device did. Even if the device only cold be used once it would still be useful. Hell if it could dial other galaxies could it operate the Chair weapon?

garhkal
August 26th, 2014, 02:08 PM
It fell into the same hole many other things did, such as the ghost aliens from crystal skull and the furlings.

Britta
August 26th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Perhaps they left it behind in the alternate universe. Fixing it isn't on the same level as building it from scratch.

hedwig
August 26th, 2014, 07:41 PM
New observation for me on this episode which is now bothering me due to it kind of negates at least a half dozen future plot lines in both SG-1 and SGA (maybe even SGU). So the two Sams get the power booster thing to work that Jack built with Ancient knowledge and they do it seemingly easy without caveats of “impossible to do it again.” This device of course allows them to dial the 7th chevron to reach the Asgard. However, after this episode they never mention that device again and instead spend 6+ episodes looking for ZPMs to essentially do the same thing the device did. Even if the device only cold be used once it would still be useful. Hell if it could dial other galaxies could it operate the Chair weapon?

Maybe with the genius intellect of two Sams, they had enough brain power to figure it out? :) And I'm assuming the device was left in the other universe, since none of the guys had it when they came back. Maybe they felt the other universe needed it more than they did.

garhkal
August 27th, 2014, 03:03 PM
True, it was taken there so the AU could dial the Asgard. But why wasn't a video made of how the 2 sam's made it for our realm, so we could recreate it should the need arise?

hedwig
August 27th, 2014, 05:03 PM
True, it was taken there so the AU could dial the Asgard. But why wasn't a video made of how the 2 sam's made it for our realm, so we could recreate it should the need arise?

The two Sam's made notes? :)

itsmetheuglykid
November 25th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Tec'ma-te fellow Stargate nerds,

So during this episode Sam explains that the power device used to dial the 8 chevron asgard home world address was made by the asgard, when in reality it was made by Colonel O'neill when he stuck his head in that ancient head sucker. (You know....knowledge of the Ancients/Lantians/Alterans!) Does anyone know why they would have written that little detail so... WRONG!?
p.s. I totally thought that :vala: Vala was McGyver

Brother Freyr
November 25th, 2014, 02:49 PM
It's safe to say that the ancients had a fair understanding of Asgard technology as it existed when the repository was created. Maybe an Asgard design was the best choice for the materials that Jack had available. And the repository included that information.

itsmetheuglykid
November 28th, 2014, 02:18 AM
That is an interesting interpretation :mckayanime17: Thank you

I Am Not James Spader
May 14th, 2015, 04:23 AM

Carter of this universe (or Carter Prime) doesn't need an instructional video.

The two Carter's solved the problem together, so now they both know how to use it.

Regarding the Asgard, If they really are so powerful that one ship can send Goa'uld running like they did here and in Thor's Chariot (where they just beamed the pyramid ships away, as I recall) then I don't see how the they have allowed the Goa'uld to become such a problem.

I know they are fighting another more powerful force, but we have already seen twice in the Prime Universe where the Asgardians have sent a ship to assist the SGC.

Can anyone explain this without spoilers of coming events (Point of View is the cut off point ;))? Perhaps there is something I'm not remembering about previous Asgardian encounters.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
May 14th, 2015, 07:51 AM
So during this episode Sam explains that the power device used to dial the 8 chevron asgard home world address was made by the asgard, when in reality it was made by Colonel O'neill when he stuck his head in that ancient head sucker. (You know....knowledge of the Ancients/Lantians/Alterans!) Does anyone know why they would have written that little detail so... WRONG!?

Because TPTB don't care about that kind of consistency, and it worked better for this plot to bring in the Asgard.

Only rabid fans care about consistency.

Seaboe

Brother Freyr
May 14th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Only rabid fans care about consistency.
Hey! I represent that comment. :P

Seaboe Muffinchucker
May 15th, 2015, 07:27 AM
So do I, Brother Freyr. :D

Seaboe

Anja
September 11th, 2015, 05:17 AM
Not my ep at all - but the line about the two Carters is good.

maneth
January 5th, 2016, 09:27 AM
I enjoyed this one, but then I'm a S&J shipper.

hathor.
September 12th, 2016, 07:44 AM
This was always one of my favorites from when I was younger. I would watch this one over and over again. I loved Sam as a character so having two of her was just wonderful to me, lol. I just watched this again last night before bed for the first time in several years. Now that I'm older and can appreciate the subtitles of the art of acting, I'm just blown away by Amanda's ability to bring two separate but similar characters to life. So wonderful.

Falcon Horus
January 22nd, 2018, 03:13 PM
Seemed to like it in 2013 -- but 2018 is clearly another matter.

Still very much annoyed with AT's wig -- the hair- and make-up team lost a few stitches there. Not literally of course, but figuratively speaking. At one point the glue-line is visible. Makes for an odd wrinkle on Doctor Carter's forehead. It's distracting (much like the wig in general -- it looks weird).

It's an alternate reality story -- it sure took them long enough to use that mirror again, but really not a fan -- at all -- of Sam/Jack in any reality. To be perfectly fair, I hate it with the power of a 1000 suns.
Doctor Carter was way too clingy with Jack and everything felt really, really weird and awkward... and just no...

I did like Daniel playing with the mirror, with the help of Kawalsky. The 2 Carters fiddling in the lab, and getting the power generator to work. Teal'c killing his evil twin. Apophis' alternate universe look -- nope! :p
And of course, the alternate universe Asgard save the day. :D All is well that ends well.

How would you rate SG-1's "Point of View?"

Excellent
Good
Fair
Poor
Terrible

jelgate
January 26th, 2018, 05:13 PM
And we never saw our homemade ZPM again:P

I don't hate it but I don't love it. I've never been sold on Jack/Sam so those scenes make me want to run for my barf bucket. It has a lot of action with us running around the Goa'uld SGC but overall it feels like we have already done this. I call this episode a fair

Falcon Horus
January 26th, 2018, 05:20 PM
And we never saw our homemade ZPM again:P

Shame really -- MacGuyver would be proud of the build. :p

Falcon Horus
January 28th, 2018, 03:54 PM
Jigsaw-time: Point Of View (https://www.jigidi.com/solve.php?id=BFO2LMX0)

The 3-episode quiz: Legacy, Learning Curve & Point Of View (https://goo.gl/forms/YZHSv85hcq4Rersh2)

jelgate
January 28th, 2018, 04:31 PM
You should make a 10 episode quiz just to make it real challenging. It will be like when we were in school and I promise not to cheat off aretood

Falcon Horus
January 28th, 2018, 04:41 PM
You should make a 10 episode quiz just to make it real challenging. It will be like when we were in school and I promise not to cheat off aretood

I've watched enough episodes that I could do that. :p

jelgate
January 28th, 2018, 05:10 PM
That is my point. We went way beyond 3 episodes this week. Let's make if challenging. *looks at aretood's answers*

Falcon Horus
January 29th, 2018, 02:48 AM
That is my point. We went way beyond 3 episodes this week. Let's make if challenging. *looks at aretood's answers*

Okay, I'll get it done... Since I'm up to Pretense, it'll therefore be every episode from 307 to Pretense. :)

jelgate
January 29th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Really FH, a spelling question? Now I'm angry with you. I got 13/15 and 7 minutes and 15 seconds.

Falcon Horus
January 29th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Really FH, a spelling question? Now I'm angry with you. I got 13/15 and 7 minutes and 15 seconds.

LOL! I'm sorry, I ran out of ideas. :p

Falcon Horus
February 4th, 2018, 05:32 AM
Jigsaw disaster: 14:04

Platschu
August 27th, 2018, 10:51 AM
3x06 Point of view
1.They said that the radar could locate the Asgard ship in the alternate universe, but they couldn’t in our timeline as the technology is so advanced.
http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/hiba/3x06/01.jpg

2. Hammond and Carter said they have found the quantum mirror on P3X-233, while it was P3R-233.

Extra : We can see again Nem’s planet in the mirror for a brief moment, so maybe the mirror is on his planet in an other alternate universe.

BethHG
August 27th, 2018, 07:59 PM
12:50

Falcon Horus
August 28th, 2018, 06:06 AM
2. Hammond and Carter said they have found the quantum mirror on P3X-233, while it was P3R-233.

If they didn't make those designations so hard, they wouldn't have misremembered. :p

Who Knows
September 18th, 2018, 07:09 AM

hedwig
September 21st, 2018, 09:28 PM
11:42

Falcon Horus
September 22nd, 2018, 09:05 AM

11:42

These literally read like historical dates to me... :)

In 1348 the Black Death came to England and killed many.

In 1142, Henry the Lion becomes the Duke of Saxony.