PDA

View Full Version : Avalon, Part 2 (902)

Pages : 1 [2]

Seshat
July 27th, 2005, 10:11 AM
About the puzzles, Alex Levine, a script coordinator for SG1 has a blog on Scifi's website, and he (I'm guessing it's a he) wrote that the real test in Daniel and Vala's puzzle wasn't picking the right pot. It was the "truth of spirit" test, to see if anyone would steal the coin once they found it. But, they could have made it clearer that the truth of spirit was the main point of their puzzle on the show.
Forgive me for being such a dunderhead, but I thought it could have been made clearer as well. Before Avalon, Part 2 aired there was another thread here at GW discussing possible solutions to the puzzles. In that thread someone easily posited the solution for the reflected numbers, but had a different, and I thought, much better solution suggestion for the second puzzle. I was rather disappointed when the ep aired and I saw what the writers came up with as the solution in comparison to what that poster suggested. :(

jree
July 27th, 2005, 12:07 PM
When Vala died, why didn't Daniel die? I have a theory, since the bracelets were designed to keep a Jaffa and the prisoner together maybe it does not kill the jaffa if the prisoner is killed within the required radius. Say if a Jaffa has a prisoner and the local system lord gets pissed off with the prisoner and decides to kill him/her. The prisoner is dead but the jaffa and the prisoner are within the radius thus the Jaffa would stay alive.

Even though Teal'c said that Daniel would die if he killed Vala, Teal'c also said something to the effect that he wasn't exactly totally familiar with the bracelets. He might have been guessing that Daniel would die, imo.

joasia
July 27th, 2005, 12:36 PM
When Vala died, why didn't Daniel die?The brancelets seems to work slowly. Daniel and Valla Passed out some time after they went too far away from each other.

QuiGonJohn
July 27th, 2005, 01:01 PM
When Vala died, why didn't Daniel die? I have a theory, since the bracelets were designed to keep a Jaffa and the prisoner together maybe it does not kill the jaffa if the prisoner is killed within the required radius. Say if a Jaffa has a prisoner and the local system lord gets pissed off with the prisoner and decides to kill him/her. The prisoner is dead but the jaffa and the prisoner are within the radius thus the Jaffa would stay alive.

Even though Teal'c said that Daniel would die if he killed Vala, Teal'c also said something to the effect that he wasn't exactly totally familiar with the bracelets. He might have been guessing that Daniel would die, imo.

Guess in your example of the Jaffa, that is when the Jaffa has to cut the bracelet off the prisoner and keep it with him forever. :)

akimbo
July 27th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Hope tptb let a little more of that side to Vala out on her time on the show. That would maybe give more people a reason to want to see her come back at some point in the future.

Agreed. I think they have to let a little of that side out to make her a three dimensional character rather than a one dimensional spoiled brat type that we saw first. They don't have to have Vala and Daniel become mates to do that, however. I'd be perfectly satisfied with them fighting like Beatrice and Benedick for many seasons before it needs to be resolved into anything else.

That was great! I loved that part! I'm also impressed that Daniel could visualize the descriptions into their correct letters and keep it all straight while Mitchell shouted them out. By the time they got to the fifth letter, I'd be asking, "What was the second one again? Was that the chair?"
Me too: "upside down L...call that a 7". Yup I woulda got it. :rolleyes: :p

WhatFateAlmondRoca
July 27th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Agreed. I think they have to let a little of that side out to make her a three dimensional character rather than a one dimensional spoiled brat type that we saw first. They don't have to have Vala and Daniel become mates to do that, however. I'd be perfectly satisfied with them fighting like Beatrice and Benedick for many seasons before it needs to be resolved into anything else.

Oh, man I could not overstate how much I agree. I remember on one of my DVD special features the writers talking about needing characters you care about. When they showed that part about Vala it made me possibly begin to empathize with her character. In Part 1 it was nails on papyrii for me and old Vala Mal Doran...it makes her real - I mean, who doesn't have a chink in the old chain mail somewhere???

I guess speaking 23 languages plus now ancient, Goa'uld and whatever else Dr. J. needs a challenge - hearing them described upside down is the logical next step :p If I were Vala in that scene my respect for Daniel would have skyrocked after seeing him do that. I wonder if that's what ushered in a more *amicable* relationship between them in part 2???

TheCorpulent1
July 27th, 2005, 08:34 PM
"Squares unevenly stacked" was my favorite one. :D

ValaMalduran
July 28th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Couldn't resist to post my 2 cents worth for both parts together. Especially as this twoparter made me realise once again why I like the sci-fi genre.

I started making notes while watching the first part but very soon concentrated on simply enjoying the show. And that scene in Avalon pt. 2 I could only watch through my fingers.

First of all:
How somebody could not like Vala is beyond me.
Yes, she would steal your birthday cake from right under your nose. Yes, she would also make an inappropriate remark about the birthday cake's icing. But she's definitely not just an annoying comedic character.
She's absolutely serious when she anounces that she won't open the wrist bands before they've found the treasure to make sure she does get her share. She's obviously learned that lesson earlier in her life.
And despite her quip after being revived she's more than shaken by the whole incident. :S
Vala is a fully rounded complex character with obvious depth, even if we've only just seen glimpses of it. And boy, has she fallen for Daniel. :p To me her sarcastic comments to him are as much for flirting as they're meant to keep him at bay. Don't let anybody get too close to the 'real' Vala.

Various thoughts:
Ben Browder & Michael Shanks look HOT. (yes, I know that's not a very sophisticated statement :D )

I didn't really like Vala's black leather costume when I first saw some pics, but now I think it's great.

Vala knows how to make an entrance. And she was crestfallen when Daniel ignored her.

Really like T'ealc's sardonic sense of humour. Bullets bounce, indeed. :D

Testing possible SG1 members: funny, but very scary at the same time. People like that are supposed to protect us from alien invasion? *gulp*

The new title sequence. Are you kidding me? You're kidding me, right?

A.

the fifth man
July 28th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Well, at least tommorow some of us get to see how this three-parter concludes. Can't wait to see Daniel's interaction with the Ori. Wonder how bad he actually pi**es them off.

greytop
July 28th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Well, at least tommorow some of us get to see how this three-parter concludes. Can't wait to see Daniel's interaction with the Ori. Wonder how bad he actually pi**es them off.
Probably not as bad if Jack were there. :) Jack would do a better job of it.

the fifth man
July 28th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Yeah, agree with you there. But Daniel certainly isn't the person he used to be a long time ago. All his time with Jack has rubbed off on him some, as we've seen in previous episodes. Hope he at least tells the Ori off, you know, on Earth's behalf.

TheCorpulent1
July 28th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Yeah, but not to the point that Daniel would really aim to piss them off like Jack would. Hell, even in the very episode this thread is devoted to, Daniel barely struggled against the two dudes restraining him and tried, more than anything else, to talk the people into not burning Vala. Daniel's primary and consistent course of action is and always has been to talk to people and try to effect change peacefully. The only difference is that now he realizes that sometimes change can't be effected peacefully and needs a jolt of violence to catalyze it, as we saw when he agrees to help assassinate the System Lords and again when he led the underground movement to overthrow Ra on Earth in the past.

But, as TPTB said, the Ori are a whole new villain and none of the animosity that Daniel and the rest of SG-1 had with the Goa'uld carries over to the Ori. Of course, having to watch Vala burn at the stake would've sparked animosity all its own in Daniel, so maybe he will piss them off by being too aggressive. More likely, I imagine that the Ori's learning there's a whole other galaxy of people they've never touched will spur them on to action more than anything else, just as it did with the Wraith.

Sorry for the circumlocution. :o

jree
July 28th, 2005, 04:09 PM
It would be different if nobody tried to piss them off. Daniel would pretty much talk to them. And it looks like Mitchell will just talk to them, especially when you read the spoilers and see the pictures. Maybe the Ori are just ascended beings who need adulation to stay ascended, thus they need as many followers that they can get so they try to take over everybody.

ToastBusters
July 28th, 2005, 05:45 PM
When it showed that knight the only thing that came to mind for me was...

The black knight shall always triumph!

I was waiting for one of them to say "it is but a flesh wound..." :rolleyes:

TheCorpulent1
July 28th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I'm still confused about how knights and Arthurian mythology is corny, but marsupialized humans with giant retracting snake masks and ancient Egyptian and Classical mythology aren't...

rosewood
July 29th, 2005, 08:37 AM
When lacking a fresh idea, writers seem to retread old stories, and that's my criticism with going to Arthurian legend. Been there, seen that too many other times. If they went for another more ancient mythology, maybe the Asian, Hindu or Central/South American mythologies, maybe I'd be more enthused.

Plus I just like the exotic Egyptian costumes better than those bland middle age peasant clothes. :D

Aliens as parasites that take over a host body is not new, but SG1 did that in a pretty unique way. Stargate was original in that the aliens pretend to be gods, and they created mythologies (Egyption on earth) as part of conquering their subjects and to hide their technologies.

The intersection of the military with anthropology as the strategic way that the humans are learning and interacting with these various aliens also seems unique to SG1. How many other shows relied on an anthropologist/linguist as a main character to piece things together?

Some people may be wondering if the Aterans, Ori, Prior and Doci just end up being this year's model of the Ancients, G'ouald, Tok'ra and Jaffa. I am mostly spoiler-free, so I have no ideas about that yet. I'll wait to see what the writers reveal in Part 3 tonight!

TheCorpulent1
July 29th, 2005, 08:47 AM
I've always thought Arthurian mythology was pretty interesting, myself. It'll probably be expanded a lot from there, though, just as the Goa'uld branched out from Egyptian mythology to Japanese, Classical, and others.

But I agree with your last statement. We don't know much of anything at this point, so it's best to just wait and see. If the Ori do end up being rehashes of the Goa'uld, I'll be disappointed, but we still don't know if that's where they're headed just yet.

QuiGonJohn
July 29th, 2005, 10:16 AM
When lacking a fresh idea, writers seem to retread old stories, and that's my criticism with going to Arthurian legend. Been there, seen that too many other times. If they went for another more ancient mythology, maybe the Asian, Hindu or Central/South American mythologies, maybe I'd be more enthused.

Plus I just like the exotic Egyptian costumes better than those bland middle age peasant clothes. :D

Aliens as parasites that take over a host body is not new, but SG1 did that in a pretty unique way. Stargate was original in that the aliens pretend to be gods, and they created mythologies (Egyption on earth) as part of conquering their subjects and to hide their technologies.

The intersection of the military with anthropology as the strategic way that the humans are learning and interacting with these various aliens also seems unique to SG1. How many other shows relied on an anthropologist/linguist as a main character to piece things together?

Some people may be wondering if the Aterans, Ori, Prior and Doci just end up being this year's model of the Ancients, G'ouald, Tok'ra and Jaffa. I am mostly spoiler-free, so I have no ideas about that yet. I'll wait to see what the writers reveal in Part 3 tonight!

Well I am OK with them using the Arthurian mythology. But like you, what I really enjoy about Stargate is the blending of Sci-Fi, Military Aspects and Anthropology/Archealogy/Linguistics. :)

Kelso
July 29th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I'll be okay with the Arthurian mythology as long as they make use of it. If it was just thrown into Avalon as filler... I will be disappointed.

QuiGonJohn
July 30th, 2005, 04:48 AM
I'd also like to see some society built around Tibetan Mythology!

StarDreamer
July 31st, 2005, 02:22 PM
This is an interesting new road SG-1 seems to be taking.. I'm looking forward to seeing where they take this storyline...

And I just want to say that this episode was really really good! The directing was fantastic and the actors had some really strong performances. The story is really interesting too, but the quality of the episode just stuck in my mind.

Metarock Sam
August 2nd, 2005, 10:48 AM
Great Episode and I got to say better than part one. I can tell this season is gonna rock as the absence of O'Neill is filled up Nicely by Mitchell The ending was nice and very mysterious with the Orii Prior not knowing really if he is freind or foe. Although what is confusing was surely due to the braclet Daniel would have died at the same time Vala did rather than stayed alive longer.

Elite Anubis Guard
August 9th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Well I just read the transcript for this (dam you americans) and I enjoyed it more than the first part. More action, nice to find out new things about the ancients and it seems it would have a few dark scenes.

Ugly Pig
August 10th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Once again, I typed this up weeks ago but never got around to posting it. Here's to redundancy!

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
of 'Avalon Part 2'

It's getting better. I'm beginning to actually like Vala now. And I enjoy her and Daniel's interaction. Mitchell is still "Ben Browder's on Stargate!!" to me, but I'm sure that will change once his character gets some development over the course of the season. This episode didn't really focus on him anyway. General Landry was better this week, too, but I'm still not quite sold on him.

The new doctor lady I have no opinion on just yet... But when are they gonna establish just what her relationship is with the general? So far, all we've been told/shown is that they obviously knew each other before the met up at the SGC. I know what the relationship is supposed to be, but only because I've been reading up on spoilers.

Random Observations!
- We know the original name of the Ancients! Wheeee! :) (Well, some of you do, anyway. I forgot it already.)
- Ancient backstory! Yummy. Wonder what the future will hold for this storyline.
- Jaffa politics... Not very interesting thus far.
- Very nice, creepy atmosphere during the village/burning scenes towards the end.
- The ten second title sequence still sucks.
- No Jack (naturally). No Sam. No SG-1. Teal'c off-world. How long before the team is officially back together?
- The creepy guy with the glowing stick at the end - have I seen him before? Is he a re-used actor?

Good episode.

1DanielForMe
August 23rd, 2005, 04:17 AM
Ancients=Alterans (not sure about spelling).

As for the new doctor, I really like Dr. Lam. She's got a cool sort of nature.
As well, I'm sure Michael's happy about Lex playing the role. ;)

In any case, I can't stand Avalon Part 2. Well, I mean, alot of it's cool and funny at first, but I hate when Daniel has to see Vala burn to death. I can't even watch it.

Mattathias2.0
September 6th, 2005, 11:21 AM
I liked this episode a great deal more than the previous part.
- It was wonderful to see Dr. Lam.
- Finally some real danger and something unexplainable.
- I was shaken to the core when I saw Vala burn to death.
- I was just as shaken when the Prior brought her back to life. Eerilly (spelling?) creepy.

TheCorpulent1
September 6th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Something just struck me watching this episode again. The SGC's getting its budget cut, right? But an SGC-authorized mission just resulted in the recovery of a frackin' ROOMFUL OF GOLD TREASURE! Wouldn't some of the spoils of that rightly go back into funding the SGC? I imagine all those trinkets would translate into a LOT of new funds.

IMForeman
September 6th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Something just struck me watching this episode again. The SGC's getting its budget cut, right? But an SGC-authorized mission just resulted in the recovery of a frackin' ROOMFUL OF GOLD TREASURE! Wouldn't some of the spoils of that rightly go back into funding the SGC? I imagine all those trinkets would translate into a LOT of new funds.

It found a roomful of treasure in a place technically under the jurisdiction of the United Kingdom. There's no way the SGC can legally make claim to any of that stuff, and they probably had to do a fair amount of cajoling just to get the communicator.

-IMF

TheCorpulent1
September 6th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Bah! Worthless international laws. :(

AGateFan
September 6th, 2005, 05:56 PM
I still cant believe Vala gets nothing. She brought them the tablet telling where the treasure is. She should get some type of finders fee... if not of that particular treasure then some gold coins from the national mint a few pieces of jewelry from the local store, a fruit basket, something. What the heck good did it do her at all to come to us, she should have just gotten a ship, came to earth and found it herself (of course truth of spirit would have been an issue, but shes clever, maybe she could have blackmailed Daniel another way)

TheLastSunset
October 9th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Wow, I love this episode. It's such a great beginning to the Ori, characters, plotlines and mythology. It had immense depth and the acting was great. It was filled with serious matters but great humorous scenes. That's why Vala was essential for the beginning of season nine because she helped lighten the reality of the Ori and bring in some depth that Stargate needed when Jack left. I really enjoy the new adversary. They open so many possibilities for future episodes. The village was really cool too. I can't wait to see the show progress even more.

TheBlueDragon
October 18th, 2005, 11:50 AM
SPOLIER BELOW

The bit in avalon part 2 , when Vala is burned to death is horrific , anyone agree?
I just watched it on Sky One!

Kiffy
October 18th, 2005, 11:55 AM
The bit in avalon part 2 , when Vala is burned to death is horrific , anyone agree?
I just watched it on Sky One!
youre kidding me right? i missed it coz my housemate is making papier mache 'worm' suits in the lounge ¬__¬

If youre serious (which i dont think you are) youre going to get burned for not putting *SPOILER* in the beginning of youre thread (or becuase youre being a jack-ass)

TheBlueDragon
October 18th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Oops sry!

SPolier below

She does get burned to death , but she is brought back to life again!

SGFerrit
October 18th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Oh, he aint jokin!
That was nasty (but cool), but I am happy that we got the full openings!:)

Merlin_Ancient
October 18th, 2005, 11:59 AM
O wow u shouldnt have said that. But its pretty cool how she comes back to life. Dont say anything about how she comes back to life.

But i kinda felt bad. Cause vala is really hot (Claudia Black) and she is a good character.

knocknashee
October 18th, 2005, 11:59 AM
It's a bit late now isn't it..? :rolleyes:

Try using the edit button and modifying your original post...

Elite Anubis Guard
October 18th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Well this really was way better than the first part. I liked Cameron in this, it was nice to see TPTB didn't let them just run away, he had a bit of seriousness and development in this with refusing to give up the fight.

It was a nice way to set up the Ori as well, they seem like they're going to be interesting. And the execution..I didnt think theyd show that, it was so intense.

I look forward to the conclusion.

chevroneight
October 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM
OOOHHH!!! I really liked this one!

Much better than the first part :)

Looking forward to part 3

This episode also made me think, hey Vala is not *that bad, I felt sorry for her at the end

Anyway...yay

Also yay for the long (and very pretty) credits

Serebii
October 18th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Wow...thats all I have to say...

Well actually I have a lot to say

Great New Intro

Great stuff with the resolution in Glastonbury and the Sword Fighting. The Dakara stuff seemed that its more of a build up to something coming up

Nice tie in to Citizen Joe too, the transmission of Daniel & Vala over the galaxt was also cool and interesting

The Burning...that literally had me on the edge of my seat which has NEVER EVER happened on any tv show before...good pacing, direction and music for that entire bit

And Death to Cliffhangers :p I swear they should just show two/three parters all in one go :p

Sha're
October 18th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Another fine episode. Daniel and Vala are actually beginning to grow on me. I never ever expected the burning scene, thankfully having stayed away from spoilers.
BTW in regard to the poster above who mentioned this scene - surely this is not a "spoiler" - this is a thread to discuss what happened in the episode - therefore if you haven't seen it - dont read the thread! Its not as if someone could stumble upon a spoilery moment by accident in an episode discussion thread, unlike some other areas.
Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Cameron was very likeable and I'm looking forward to the situation with the free Jaffa and Teal'c. This season has started much more promising than I had thought it would. The credits were good - had to mention them!!

scarlet
October 18th, 2005, 12:24 PM
I really liked the episode. With Mitchell only being introduced the episode before, I was surprised at how much I'd forgotten that he was new. He just seems to fit in well and it almost seems like he's been around much longer, same with Vala really, it just 'feels' right that she's there.

The whole burning bit was really well done, they really dragged out the flamng oil reaching Vala to draw out the suspense, and even though you could tell it was inevitable that she was going to get pretty crispy, it was still a shock when it happened.

I did think it seemed to end in an odd place though, and I'm not sure I really like three parters! It's bad enough having to wait a week between episodes without them being a continuation of the last one! I'm just impatient i guess :)

discodiva
October 18th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Loved it :D ....all of it :D .....wish it was next Tuesday already....but then I'm out and away till Sunday and I have to wait till I can see the video recording I have to do of it ...grrrr...:(

Dee Dee xx

chevroneight
October 18th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I really liked the episode. With Mitchell only being introduced the episode before, I was surprised at how much I'd forgotten that he was new. He just seems to fit in well and it almost seems like he's been around much longer, same with Vala really, it just 'feels' right that she's there.

The whole burning bit was really well done, they really dragged out the flamng oil reaching Vala to draw out the suspense, and even though you could tell it was inevitable that she was going to get pretty crispy, it was still a shock when it happened.

I did think it seemed to end in an odd place though, and I'm not sure I really like three parters! It's bad enough having to wait a week between episodes without them being a continuation of the last one! I'm just impatient i guess :)

My thoughts exactly :D

I really like Cameron :)

ChillinTheMost
October 18th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Another fine episode. Daniel and Vala are actually beginning to grow on me. I never ever expected the burning scene, thankfully having stayed away from spoilers.
BTW in regard to the poster above who mentioned this scene - surely this is not a "spoiler" - this is a thread to discuss what happened in the episode - therefore if you haven't seen it - dont read the thread! Its not as if someone could stumble upon a spoilery moment by accident in an episode discussion thread, unlike some other areas.
Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Cameron was very likeable and I'm looking forward to the situation with the free Jaffa and Teal'c. This season has started much more promising than I had thought it would. The credits were good - had to mention them!!
The "spoiler" post above was originally in the General Discussion thread and the reactions are because of that. The mods moved it here where it belongs. Just a misunderstanding it seems.

I'm glad you, and others, like Cameron! Ben Browder joining the show has brought me back to Stargate and I'm enjoying it immensely [and catching up on earlier season that I had missed, too!]

Sha're
October 18th, 2005, 12:53 PM
The "spoiler" post above was originally in the General Discussion thread and the reactions are because of that. The mods moved it here where it belongs. Just a misunderstanding it seems.

Cool - Thanks for the explanation - I was thinking people were over-reacting a bit there lol!

bcfc
October 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM
:) What a fantastic episode, I knew about the burning scene but still found it intense:eek: . Overall a good start to what looks like a great series.

omnian
October 18th, 2005, 01:59 PM
This was a pretty interesting episode! Shall be watching it again on Saturday :D I'm curious to see how Vala and Daniel get back into their bodies and what that Orii chappy is gonna do with them or where he's gonna take them.

Also! Loving the new intro :) And the burning? Wow, I did NOT see that one coming! I thought Vala was gonna get saved at the last minute!

Wraith_Hunter
October 18th, 2005, 02:30 PM
youre kidding me right? i missed it coz my housemate is making papier mache 'worm' suits in the lounge ¬__¬

If youre serious (which i dont think you are) youre going to get burned for not putting *SPOILER* in the beginning of youre thread (or becuase youre being a jack-ass)

Actually it seems that your the jack-ass. This is for the discussion of the particular episode. So if you don't want to know things then don't be reading it, then running your mouth & insulting people because you missed a bit.

This thread is many pages long & this has been dicussed a fair few times, if you care to check back!

Nobody needs to put any spoilers in their posts. If you don't want to know then don't be reading the episode reviews. Only one that'll get burned is you for insulting peole for no valid reason whatsoever.

Anubis69
October 18th, 2005, 02:46 PM
I'll second the vala burning thing. It was pretty intense. The build up was hardcore, the way it dribbled round and when she went up, i actually felt a bit gutted. I can't think of the right word so that'll have to do for now. :P

It was also good to see Vala not being jokey and spouting random innuendo. When you see a character in that sort of position, you kinda relate to them more, rather than just a conwoman. The way daniel clearly did when he went over. I like Vala the more i see of her! (Just re-read that and it's not how it sounds!!)

As for Carolyn Lam..... WOW! She's damn hot.... And what was with that scene with Landry, she kinda hinted at something in his past there! Or was that just me?
Just me.....great. :rolleyes: :D

Chaka's_Mum
October 18th, 2005, 10:24 PM
At the risk of sounding repetitive. Wow.

Things are still barrelling along at a nice pace, and Mitchell is starting to blend in quite nicely. At this rate, it won't be long before I start referring to him as 'Cameron'!;)

Have to second the comments on Vala's burning scene - very shocking. Admittedly, I knew it was coming up (couldn't restrain my curiosity and checked out the ep summary on the main site - bad Unas!!), but that didn't detract from the intensity of the scene one little bit. The way that they dragged it out with that little trail of burning oil. Urghhhh....*shudder*

Add to that Daniel's frantic attempts to stop it - and the way he goes over to her after she's dead. Could MS have done it any better? I don't think so. Despite everything that's happened between them, he still cares when the chips are down. Fab.

Hmm. Some backstory yet to be revealed between Gen. Landry and Dr Lam, perhaps?

And - thank you Sky One for giving us the full titles! Big Yay!

Stricken
October 19th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Thw whole Vala buring scene, was it realy nessicary? at least shes alive I guess!
Some great acting by the team (SG-1) and Vala and the new intros!! :D could this week get any better, oh yeah Atlantis!! Much better than the first part although in the Stargate Universe this is so often the way

Avalon Part II gets a S.G.G rating 8 out of 9 Chevrons!
http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gif http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gif http://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gifhttp://img459.imageshack.us/img459/8743/arrow2zt.gif

Metarock Sam
October 19th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Thw whole Vala buring scene, was it realy nessicary? at least shes alive I guess!
Some great acting by the team (SG-1) and Vala and the new intros!! :D could this week get any better, oh yeah Atlantis!!

S.G.G's rating 8 out of 9 Chevrons!
It was neccesary to show the power of the Orii. Although

Loads of people die and get brought back to life in the powers that be

SEREN LWCH (MAL)
October 19th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Just tried to watch the first few minutes of this ep..... I had to record because i was working last night.

One question: How do they expect people who are hard of hearing to follow the words when they talk so "£%$£%^ fast, and the background music is so loud?????? :( :(

As for Vala i can only follow half what she says. Her voice is so high pitched!

GateGipsy
October 19th, 2005, 04:33 AM
(((Mal)))

I can see how that would be difficult. I don't think that Claudia's voice is that high for a womens, in fact it has a fairly low tone. But then I don't have hearing difficulties!

I loved this season opener when seen as a whole. I don't think Avalon I works as well when you have to wait so long for the second half. The scene where Daniel cradles a horrifically burnt Vala was very moving and quite haunting.

Another favourite scene is in the treasure room when Vala is playing with the trinkets wearing the tiara. Good comedy :)

chevroneight
October 19th, 2005, 07:17 AM
One teeny problem....

MS was talking very very very fast, especially in the first part of the episode.
I had to rewatch it to pick up on absolutely everything he said :)

But other than that it was briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilliant!! :D

SEREN LWCH (MAL)
October 19th, 2005, 08:09 AM
(((Mal)))

I can see how that would be difficult. I don't think that Claudia's voice is that high for a womens, in fact it has a fairly low tone. But then I don't have hearing difficulties!

I loved this season opener when seen as a whole. I don't think Avalon I works as well when you have to wait so long for the second half. The scene where Daniel cradles a horrifically burnt Vala was very moving and quite haunting.

Another favourite scene is in the treasure room when Vala is playing with the trinkets wearing the tiara. Good comedy :)

Do you now were there might be a transcript of the ep??:S :S My only other option is wait for the dvd and run it with subtitles.

Evil Emperor Zurg
October 19th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Season 9 is really coming off to a great start:D I was shocked by the vala buring scene I really wasn't expecting that! I'm liking this new direction sg-1 is taking the Ori already seem to no pushovers unlike the Goa'uld:eek: I had also almost forgotten Mitchell and Landry were new characters they've seemed to settle in well. The new credits also rock I hope we'll get to sure atlantis's new ones tonight as well!

Madeleine
October 19th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Started off same as last week - fun. Cam's still easy to warm to, daniel and vala are still a sparky pair, Landry's still setting my teeth on edge for no better reason than that i don't like the slack-jaw thing he does.

Most surprising was the instant and impressive impact that Doctor Andromeda made. I'm sold on her already.

Teal'c's got his hands full. I think he's secretly glad - an excuse to keep on being the outsider; not the sholvar any more but still the lone figure in the wilderness.

And the burning scene? Wow, I didn't think they'd have the nerve. It was horrible but I had to watch, and I was very moved by the end.

warmbeachbrat
October 19th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Do you now were there might be a transcript of the ep??:S :S My only other option is wait for the dvd and run it with subtitles.

The Stargate Wiki has them:
http://wiki.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/index.php/9.02_%22Avalon_Part_2%22_Transcript

Madeleine
October 19th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Do you have a sky box? They can get subtitles.

Chulak_Tattoo_Emporium
October 19th, 2005, 01:03 PM
it's not the same without jack but I guess you just have to get over it. I don't think they could have done much better than Crighton to be honest. Glad they have resisted the temptation to throw Mitchell and Vala in together too quickly but it is inevitable I suppose.

Dani347
October 19th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Actually, no, they don't throw Mitchell and Vala together. There was only one scene in a later episode that had just the two of them, and there was no *wink wink, nudge nudge, look at Aeryn and Crichton together again* feel to it. Out of all the episodes she's in, Vala has either been with the team as a whole, or with Daniel

Not sure if that needed a spoiler since it wasn't about a particular plot point to any episode, but it did deal with episodes that come later, so better safe than sorry.

SEREN LWCH (MAL)
October 20th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Do you have a sky box? They can get subtitles.

No sky box. its NTL. I could get subtitles but, i was at work. Cant record subtitles.:(

SEREN LWCH (MAL)
October 20th, 2005, 08:02 AM
The Stargate Wiki has them:
http://wiki.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/index.php/9.02_%22Avalon_Part_2%22_Transcript

Thankyou!!!!!!! i'll check when i get time.((((((hugs))))))

Kiffy
October 22nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
OMG

your sig...

when does that kiss happen in atlantis?

Kiffy
October 22nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
OK i finally saw avalon pt2! woo!

yes it was horrible when Vala was burned, but shes back to life, yay!

And i knew it would only be a matter of time before MS would get his wife in on the action! I think i prefered janet though...;)

Matt G
October 22nd, 2005, 02:29 PM
OK...was watching United vs Lille on Tuesday and after the worst season opener of all time that was Avalon part 1, only just decided to tape this at the last minute. Mum watched part two while I watched a pretty dull footy match and reported that part 2 was an improvement. So...I stopped shovelling dirt on SG1's coffin, eventually got round to checking the body for signs of life and sure enough...there were some stirrings, though I'm not going to declare it back to full health yet, I'm prepared to file last week's comments as premature.

1. Vala didn't seem as stranglable in this ep, nor was Mitchell, and the writers generally didn't seem as though they were on head trips! Cool.

2. The appearance of Lexia Doig didn't do the show any harm;) .

3. The fire scene was good even though you knew that Vala would get out one way or another.

On the other hand, some mysterious guy(Prior that looks like a Jaffa priest) leading Daniel and Vala to unknown destinations isn't my definition of a cliff hanger and even Daniel and Teal'c seem slightly different to last time I saw them. This does not feel like SG1 as I've known it these past 8 seasons, it feels like a COMPLETELY new show still finding it's feet, which part of me says shouldn't be happening but still...it might work, maybe.

Ali888
October 23rd, 2005, 02:19 AM
And i knew it would only be a matter of time before MS would get his wife in on the action! I think i prefered janet though...;)

MS did not get his wife in on the action. TPTB were casting for a new doctor and LD auditioned for the role. :)

Kiffy
October 23rd, 2005, 05:07 AM
MS did not get his wife in on the action. TPTB were casting for a new doctor and LD auditioned for the role. :)
Well obviously she auditioned for it...all i meant was i bet MS said 'They're casting a new doctor...you should go up for it' or something to that effect...

Bit of a co-incidence though don't you think? ;)

Hulabaloo
October 24th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Anyway great ep, loved it!

The Vala thing,

Soooooo funny! The sword fighting was great!

Ali888
October 24th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Well obviously she auditioned for it...all i meant was i bet MS said 'They're casting a new doctor...you should go up for it' or something to that effect...

Bit of a co-incidence though don't you think? ;)

No I understand that she told MS that she'd decided to audition for the role. He didn't know anything about it until then.

If by 'Bit of a coincidence though' you're implying that MS 'got' the part for his wife then I don't agree. I think she got it on merit.

Ali P

Kiffy
October 24th, 2005, 08:37 AM
No I understand that she told MS that she'd decided to audition for the role. He didn't know anything about it until then.

If by 'Bit of a coincidence though' you're implying that MS 'got' the part for his wife then I don't agree. I think she got it on merit.

Ali P
Calm down! I'm merely saying that it seems a coincidence that she got the part instead of anyone else that went up for it...im sure she did get through on merit and im not disputing it, but it could be thought that MS has some pull with TPTB, i mean have you never heard of 'putting in a good word' for someone?

I meant it as an idle comment, im not trying to throw up some controversy or cause an argument. I'm sorry if it angered you in anyway, but the whole point of a forum is to discuss your views and opinions, is it not? :)

Anyway, forget about it :p

Anubis69
October 24th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Well, from avalon pt 2 she worked well with everyone nicely. Almost like an old friend, slotted in well. Plus she's a great actress and i don't doubt for one second that she got that role on anything but her acting abilities. My two pence on the matter!!

skritsys
October 27th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I always love to see Michael Shanks and Claudia Black play off of each other although I kind of thought that the character (Daniel's) could have been written better.

WraithWarrior
December 21st, 2005, 06:07 AM
Another Brilliant episode of SG-1, definatly lovin the new season:)

andrelage
December 26th, 2005, 10:58 AM
i loved the back story on mitchell and how much he had to go through after his crash and how much he wanted to be the leader of sg1. As well as this i loved the fact that we started to learn some more about the ancients and where they came from

SeaBee
February 15th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Slightly better than Part 1, but Vala is still too over written, at least in the quick rejoiner lines.

And someone needs to tell MS to slow down a little.

shake_it_off_sparky
March 18th, 2006, 09:27 AM
When I saw the first part of this episode, i was like excuse me please, where the FRICKIN HELL has Jack gone? But after an outburst of throwing anything soft at the T.V. screen, i was entranced by Cams ass-whooping of some freaky-deaky knight hollo-whatsit. I gotta say it THAT GUY KICKS ASS :cameronanime10: but I'm still not happy about jack leaving :mad: i heard rumours he's making an appearance in season 10, is that true? I better be cause the occasional mention that somethin funky's goin on with :love: is just not enough :(

:hallowed: MY SKINNY WHITE ASS!!

cafine_us
March 18th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Episode 200 will be in season 10, and it's possible RDA will want to come back to celebrate this landmark. Unfortunately, no suspicion or rumor has been confirmed.

Merrin_Delaney
March 20th, 2006, 09:58 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but... Harrid and Sallis? What a headdesker :rolleyes:

Spell_Daemon
March 22nd, 2006, 11:24 AM
Great episode!! However, as some people have mentioned, the puzzels where a bit lamn (Guess they didn't want to take to much time up, or it was more about the idea of it (to be pure of heart - not the same as then), but it was still lamn.

Another thing, I love the legend of King Aurthor, so I was so angry that the authors screwed up like so many others... they named the sword in the stone exclaibur, but that was not excalibur in the legend, that was just the sword to prove him king, excalibur was given to him by the lady of the lake - Nimue - of Avalon.
(I think this is how they did it in the show - I just joined and I just saw a show that had the same mistake so I decided to post this.)

Wedo765
March 22nd, 2006, 07:47 PM
Did anybody else who watched this get the impression that the Ancients (Alterans) name for the Milky Way Galaxy was Avalon, Daniel reads from the book "...they found a great belt of stars...they named their new home Avalon and built many Astria Porta" which makes it sound like they were refering more to the galaxy as a whole, and not just a location on Earth

Oranos
May 13th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Another thing, I love the legend of King Aurthor, so I was so angry that the authors screwed up like so many others... they named the sword in the stone exclaibur, but that was not excalibur in the legend, that was just the sword to prove him king, excalibur was given to him by the lady of the lake - Nimue - of Avalon.
(I think this is how they did it in the show - I just joined and I just saw a show that had the same mistake so I decided to post this.)

Actually, I believe that Cameron thought it was Excalibur. Daniel, however, said something about that being a common misconception.

harsiesis child
June 1st, 2006, 03:28 AM
Actually, I believe that Cameron thought it was Excalibur. Daniel, however, said something about that being a common misconception.

I can confirm: he says when the sword has broken, Excalibur was given to Arthur :)

Well it was a sympathetic episode: revelations on the ancients, the discovering of the village of Veraga and the increasing tension around the Ori...
and Vala :eek: poor Vala, burned... hawful moment :( and emotion when Daniel comes to her after :danielanime08:

spirited Chihiro
July 6th, 2006, 06:54 AM
I REALLY enjoyed that episode...poor vala and daniel...the last scene has to be one of the most powerful scenes in all the seasons (for me)...maybe just cause i loved farscape...but i thought it was well done the whole episode...cant wait for the third part!

captain jake
July 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM
The third part?

phaeton
July 6th, 2006, 04:13 PM
The episode called Origins is the third part it says so in the episode guide on this site.

I to thought the episode was good Mitchell this time wasn't so uncomfortable (trying to fit in) he blended well.

I thought there wasn't enough of Teal'c and Jaffa Nation IMO, but thats because future eps will focus on that.

Vala burning and Daniel distressed at Vala burning, was great chemistry, it wasn't sexual but more on friendship level as we've seen Daniel at this stress level before. (can't think of a episode)

Gen. Landry and Dr. Lam, there is something going on between these to I don't know what, it could be a father/daughter relationship or a work ethic relationship from previous history.

I like Gen. Landry now I didn't in Avalon Pt1 but something clicked that hes a good Gen in this ep.

Dr. Lam I 1st thought was to perky, I still miss Ol'doc Frasier, I'm sure I'll get use to Dr. Lam.

Now the Ori storyline I know is just starting but I feel a little more could have been revealed, but I have heard from other members here that if you watch all 3, 1 after the other it all fits in.

Overall I give this Episode a 8 1/2 way better than last week IHO.

captain jake
July 6th, 2006, 04:25 PM
The episode called Origins is the third part it says so in the episode guide on this site.

Yes I know that origin is the third what threw me off was when she said I cant wait untill the third part.

spirited Chihiro
July 6th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Yes I know that origin is the third what threw me off was when she said I cant wait untill the third part.

well i want to know how it finishes....i dont like unresolved story lines...so u cant blame a girl for wanting the third part...so Back off!

HyperCaz
July 6th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I really like this episode but when I saw another "to be continued" I almost screamed. I don't mind two parters - in fact this two parter was pretty good - but three parters seem just a little too much. I lose interest after a while.

Mitchell really isn't a guy I'd put in charge of SG1. I admit that when I first saw Lam and Landry together I thought they had a relationship which was in no way familial.

This episode was very interesting in terms of getting a glimpse at new scenery and new bad guys. I enjoyed the Vala/Daniel interaction, starting with the teasing right through to the fire.

captain jake
July 6th, 2006, 10:44 PM
well i want to know how it finishes....i dont like unresolved story lines...so u cant blame a girl for wanting the third part...so Back off!

I was awaiting it as well, when it was airing!..........

Where do you live has it not aired?

david2708
July 6th, 2006, 11:50 PM
God, I'm sick of the SG-1 creatives raiding the medi-evil section of the wardrobe department all the time. Can't they come up with anything new.

spirited Chihiro
July 7th, 2006, 12:36 AM
I was awaiting it as well, when it was airing!..........

Where do you live has it not aired?

Australia

HyperCaz
July 7th, 2006, 03:33 AM
I feel incredibly jipped in Australia *sigh* I have seen them already though which makes it bearable. On the plus side, it's on boxset in August.

captain jake
July 7th, 2006, 03:46 AM
I feel for the both of you.

PG15
July 7th, 2006, 05:42 PM
God, I'm sick of the SG-1 creatives raiding the medi-evil section of the wardrobe department all the time. Can't they come up with anything new.

Did we actually see a lot of medival stuff before?

captain jake
July 7th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Well we have seen it a couple of times but I don't think they are raiding the "Medi-evil wardrobe department".

Dark Falcon
July 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM
All I have to say about the
the two "Avalon" parts is this:

When the story focuses on Mitchell and his dark
past, it's good. When it doesn't, "it lacks lustar."

Two exceptions being the sword fight scene and the
terrifying scene where Vala gets burned.

captain jake
July 10th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I thought the scene where they were solving the puzzles was pretty "LUSTARY".

Flyboy
July 12th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I really like this episode but when I saw another "to be continued" I almost screamed. I don't mind two parters - in fact this two parter was pretty good - but three parters seem just a little too much. I lose interest after a while.

Mitchell really isn't a guy I'd put in charge of SG1. I admit that when I first saw Lam and Landry together I thought they had a relationship which was in no way familial.

This episode was very interesting in terms of getting a glimpse at new scenery and new bad guys. I enjoyed the Vala/Daniel interaction, starting with the teasing right through to the fire.
You could never have coped with Classic series Doctor Who then....

morjana
August 15th, 2006, 11:33 PM
MGM Stargate SG-1 Site - Season Nine Episodes:

Just went by the official MGM Stargate SG-1 site at:

http://www.stargatesg1.com/

(Choose low or high bandwidth entry at the main page.)

And noticed that they have updated the Season Nine episode section,
complete with photos and episode trailers, available in Windows Media
Player, Real Time Player, and QuickTime formats. (This may be old
news, I don't frequent this site as much as I used to. I searched this thread for any mention of the MGM SG1 site, but didn't get a hit.)

(Click on the Episodes link on the left hand side of the page.)

For the Avalon section, they have a photo of the stunt Vala actress in complete "burned" makeup.

For the faint of heart, I won't include the image in this post, but here's the link to the photo:

http://www.stargatesg1.com/home/episodes/images/fullsize_s9/Avalon1_024.html

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

Morjana

Admiral Mappalazarou
August 25th, 2006, 05:01 AM
YAYY - Jack's back!!!

Catsitter
November 28th, 2006, 01:05 AM
I've just seen this episode on the DVD (as Channel 4 still haven't shown season 9!), so, I know this is old hat for most people, but, one question that sprang to mind is, don't they have anybody at the SGC with the Ancient gene? And if not, why not?? I would have thought the obvious thing to try if they wanted to remove the stones from that machine would be to get somebody with the gene to try it, and if they don't have anyone, they could have called Jack or Colonel Everett in, or maybe even contacted the Daedalus to ask it to come back, or given somebody the gene. I know it was stated that you don't need the gene to make the stones work, but there might well be some functions of that machine, and perhaps of the stones too, that only work if you have it. Certainly worth a try, I would have thought.

I'm afraid I didn't buy the idea that Vala would die on Earth because of her host body dying on the Ori planet, so I didn't really feel much tension when she was burning; in fact, I was thinking that might be the way her consciousness would return to her own body! Oh, well.

Corpze
October 17th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Just saw this episode, 'cause in Finland they didn't show seasons after s5 and I've had to buy all seasons since that.

I must say I really liked this episode. It was pretty cool to actually see Prior for the first time. They seem to be quite powerful, so I think Ori's are, too. As it seems that they're really evil guys, I think they offer greater opponent to SGC team than Goa'uld ever did.

And that Daniel speaking so fast doesn't matter to me as we have subtitles in Finnish and I don't have to be so observant about that. As I'm speakin' about Daniel, I must say his performance in this ep was great! And Vala was wonderful, too. This was interesting episode in many ways, and I love everything ancient related, so all that Merlin things in that cave was cool and I liked it. This ep was also much like early SG-1 alike, more than any ep in season 8, so I also liked it 'cause of that. One of the best SG-1 eps I remember.

And I must add that I don't like Mitchell so much after Jack, who was always so simple and funny and still so cool, but maybe I'll start to like as season goes on. New staff actually changed pretty spontaneously, that it made me a bit confused, and still does. But I'll hope it gets better.

Sorry for a little off-topic.

KindlyKeller
March 21st, 2008, 02:42 AM
An incredibly memorable SG-1 episode. The Ori started out so creepy and terrifying. A shame the rest of the arc couldn't match the intensity of the first few episodes of S9.

Quetz
September 11th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I didn't get why Salis had some kooky American accent after :vala: took over her mind :confused:

CaramelMonkey
February 14th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I didn't get why Salis had some kooky American accent after :vala: took over her mind :confused:

Because Vala had the said kooky accent. :P

Replicator Todd
February 25th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I remember making up all kinds of assumutions at the appearance of the Prior. I started thinking that they built the gates! Ha! I was wrong...

Dinoman
April 29th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I watched this episode the 2nd time and the burning scene of Vala still freaks me out!

TheReturnOfTheLantian
May 23rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
They should of returnd the Treasure to the British goverment as it belongs to the british in the first place.

Ulkesh47
May 24th, 2009, 03:25 PM
They should of returnd the Treasure to the British goverment as it belongs to the british in the first place.
Yeah, but it's possible that the British Ambassador from "Disclosure" let the SGC keep the treasure.

amconway
May 30th, 2009, 08:51 AM

It would depend on what the British government knew about the Stargate program at this point. Pretty hard to explain how they got in there--and the hologram, if the British weren't completely in the know.

If they were able to, I'm sure they gave the 'treasure' part to the British, keeping only the device and the book. If they weren't able to do that without revealing things they couldn't, then they probably left everything where it was, except for the device and the book.

Still, Merlin is pretty hard to explain, in and of himself, what with being mythological and all, unless the British government knows a heck of a lot about the stargate program.

vzzzzzbx
July 10th, 2009, 04:31 PM

Gordon Brown the Clown would just sell it off to make up for his incompetent Governments bungling of the economy anyway :D I wouldn't trust that lot to help run a childrens tea party let alone anything to do with the stargate programme

mrscopterdoc
April 2nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
Vala is still not my favorite and not liking the Ori...

enx6
April 23rd, 2010, 06:14 AM
I hate the dudes who say hallowed are the ori and who burned Vala Mal Doran :danielanime08::vala09::cameronanime13::prioranime01:

rushy
April 25th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hey, Endy! Recognise me? I also think that it is too religious.

_SocraticMethod
April 30th, 2010, 08:34 AM
So, I was just rewatching Avalon today and I took note of the puzzle Mitchell had to solve. Did anyone else wonder why the Ancients would make a puzzle using Arabic numerals??

rzlanham
September 20th, 2010, 03:41 AM
My only question is when did Jack retire and when did Landry take over? I feel like I missed something or is it going to come to light in later episodes?

maneth
December 1st, 2010, 10:39 AM
I hope so. The puzzle thing bothered me too, to be honest. Vala's still too much the thief for my liking, and that "advanced race posing as gods" thing is old already. First the Goa'uld, now the Ori...

Ulkesh47
December 2nd, 2010, 04:32 PM
I hope so. The puzzle thing bothered me too, to be honest. Vala's still too much the thief for my liking, and that "advanced race posing as gods" thing is old already. First the Goa'uld, now the Ori...
I asked myself the other day, "what is Stargate SG-1 about?" (This came out of me thinking, Lost is about fate versus free will, Babylon 5 is basically about the power of one/self-sacrifice etc...)

The best answer I could come up with... standing up to false gods. You could also argue that it's about the journey of everyday people in extraordinary circumstances or something of that nature, so those are the two big themes I came up with.

maneth
December 2nd, 2010, 09:33 PM
Fair point, but I'm still not too keen on it.

Pond Hopper
December 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I like to think that the puzzles were automatically created based on the people in the chambers, that's why Mitchell had a simpler puzzle and the two pots/gold coin thing was more suited to Vala and Daniel. Apparently the Puzzle-o-Matic machine was also designed to assume that the occupants had a basic understanding of ancient.

My theory at least.

mathpiglet
April 27th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I'm not thrilled with the Ori storyline, but I love Vala! I love the line when she looks at Daniel and Cam and she says, "Limited gene pool."

Orion87
July 5th, 2011, 01:39 AM
The last 10 minutes of this episode are truly riveting. Great performances by Michael and Claudia, and the music just adds to the awesome creepiness of the Ori and the "holycrap what are we dealing with" feeling.

garhkal
July 6th, 2011, 04:47 PM
It is a shame they never had a chance to fully mess out the Ori.

Neomon
March 7th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Rewatching the Avalon Episodes now, still like Vala and Mitchell. The Ori are interesting, but I can see how most of the ideas and themes related to them have been done with the Goa'uld. The only weird thing: The ancient communication device. Why in this instance did it only transfer Daniel and Vala to their host bodies instead of swapping the other minds to their bodies as well, other than that the story called for it?

garhkal
March 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Because it requires both sides to be active to do the full swap.

Jae'a
April 3rd, 2012, 12:50 PM

I second that! :D :P

My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/46759.html)

Matt G
April 3rd, 2012, 02:32 PM
Another go at SG1...by this point in my life I was also planning a move to my current location of Exeter...

1. The sword fight was still good.

2. Sort of forgot how Vala got out of the fire.

3. Interaction between Landry and Lam was certainly interesting though I don't think we knew what their relationship was at this point.

4. "What did you take?" :)

Decent ep still.

Krisz
April 3rd, 2012, 03:31 PM
Looks like the first appearance of the eventually used to death 'village' set in this episode, I don't recall seeing it used before this.

Is Daniel talking faster?

So begins two seasons of having to hear the tiresome chant of "Hallowed be the Ori" on a regular basis.

I found rewatching the scene of Vala being burned lacked the intensity you'd expect because she was never allowed to be serious and be a person me as a viewer could empathise with. She's always flippant and annoying so that somehow lessened the impact of what happened to her, I didn't care about her as a character. Even with watching it for the first time it never packed the same impact as the Young /Riley scene in SGU did for me the first time I watched that, and still find hard to watch. Caring about the characters makes all the difference!

Good moments, Teal'c finding that freedom for Jaffa from the Goa'uld doesn't necessary mean freedom from self serving individuals! There's intrigue and power mongering amongst the pillars of Dakarra!

Mitchell isn't annoying me so much with this re-watch.

The Ancient's design for the communication stone base unit is wonderfully artistic, in SGU it was backward engineered to look so boringly utilitarian! :D

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
April 3rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
This episode was a good as the Premiere of the season. Avalon is probably near the bottom of the premieres (I'm not going to list them).

The stone devices will have a bigger role during SGU *Insert Voyager reference* (no, that's retarded stupid).

Tomorrow, the final episode of the 3-part premiere of SG-1's new era. It'll also be the first episode, I've previously reviewed (after original airing), I'll quote it, after that is anybody's guess.

Lieutenant Sparrow
April 3rd, 2012, 10:22 PM
Slightly better than part 1. I always enjoy the sword fight. The love hate bond between Daniel and Vala is really starting to form.

I loved the interview scene with Mitch. Was that this ep or last ep. Either way it was funny.

Seeing Vala burnt alive is still pretty nasty.

Hallowed are the Ori. Oh god here we go again.

garhkal
April 7th, 2012, 10:12 AM
For all those naysayers.

HALLOWED ARE THE ORI

jelgate
April 7th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I like the mystery that comes with this episode. In the beating the Ancient traps in Glastonbury we find a communication device that sends Daniel and Vala to far a galaxy. I like how things just seem off. The society they discover seems the exact opposite of Ancient society. I like the mystery of not knowing why everything is different and the insight into a culture that is simliar and yet radically different then us. I remember finding the burning of Vala to be quite intense a big high light of this episode. The Garek stuff is kind of pointless in this episode and really doesn't see good light until Origin.

Darian
June 10th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Awesome episode Vala died but was saved by the Ori Prior

Zaany
September 10th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I have always had big distaste for the Jaffa, ****ing arrogant and cocky but that Gerak fellow takes it to another level.

garhkal
September 16th, 2012, 12:37 PM
True, but Louis gosset did a damn good job playing him.

Tyana
November 4th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Hello and I apologize if this question was already discussed. I could not find the answer. If discussion exists please direct me there. So the question is why when Vala and Daniel used communication devices their bodies fell into the sleep-like state? Why there was only one way exchange with bodies of Harried and Sallis, why consciousnesses of Harried and Sallis were not transferred into Vala and Daniel bodies? That is how we see communication devices work in SGU, isn't it? Thank you.

Seaboe Muffinchucker
November 5th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Tyana, chances are it's because TPTB hadn't thought of that, yet. Or perhaps these are different stones. There clearly are more than one kind. Remember, the stones Joe & Jack had only let them see into each other's lives; they didn't actually inhabit one another's bodies.

Seaboe

garhkal
November 5th, 2012, 08:15 PM
IIRC it was explained later that since the stones were only in one device (earth) they were the prominent power, so that meant daniel/vala took over the bodies on the other side.. As we saw a little later, when they got the Ori one up and put the stones in we got two way comms for a brief second.

Cluas
February 11th, 2013, 01:57 AM
Great episode, good introduction to the Ori. Even though "Hallowed are the Ori" is already getting on my nerves.
And the puzzle thing was pretty lame. Indiana Jones did it way better LOL. And Vala took the gold coin, that was just STUPID.

But overall a good episode, I enjoyed the book they discovered- finally an explanation of the ancients.
Political Jaffa, and Dr. Lee and Dr. Lam. What else can we wish for?

Lots of unanswered questions, though:
How did the stones even get there?
What about the Alterian ship, that brought them from the milky way?
Why can't the Ori sense the underground group?

I'm sure the explanations will follow, but now I'm gonna watch some SGA

:sheppardanime23:

garhkal
February 20th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Why can't the Ori sense the underground group?

Ascended beings get a greater understanding.. not god like omnicience.

myowndrownedworld
October 7th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Great two parter

Claudia Black totally stole these episodes. Her chemistry with Michael Shanks is absolute golden. As missed as Richard was to no longer be a regular, for Amanda to be on Maternity leave and for Teal'c to have quite small screentime, i felt Black and Shanks carried the early episodes of season 9 incredibly well.

Anja
October 18th, 2015, 06:53 AM
Great two parter opening.
I watched Season 9 on three afternoons/evenings during the summer vacation and Hollowed are the Ori really got on my nerves.
All in all I like Season 9 very much - thanks to getting the band together again.
I like BB as Mitchell - well, I've already written that.

jelgate
October 18th, 2015, 04:08 PM
I agree with you S9. Compared to the previous season, it was nice to finally go offworld

garhkal
October 18th, 2015, 10:58 PM
Hallowed are the ori!!!