This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheppard is going to have the same prob as poor Carter did

Who the heck is he going to order around?

Poor Carter got promoted to Lt. Col., and then was promptly placed in charge of a group made entirely of civilians. I think that is part of the reason why season 8 "felt" odd at times.

In earlier seasons, O'Neill always had Carter to boss around. It created a dynamic because Carter didn't always agree with Jack's gun-happy ways, but she still had to say "yessir!" in the end. In S8, Carter had to basically suggest things to Daniel and Teal'c... although Teal'c is loyal enough to follow "orders" most of the time.

Now poor Sheppard, fresh off his own promotion to Lt. Col., is in charge of a group of 4 people, none of which are military. He has the sarcastic independent-minded scientist, and two aliens... one of whom looks like he isn't the order-following type.

I feel for the guy. =)

Originally posted by Dr. Weir's Hair Gel
    Who the heck is he going to order around?
    <snip>
    Now poor Sheppard, fresh off his own promotion to Lt. Col., is in charge of a group of 4 people, none of which are military. He has the sarcastic independent-minded scientist, and two aliens... one of whom looks like he isn't the order-following type.

I feel for the guy. =)
    Ooh, interesting post!

Putting this in spoilers because I span some s2 rumors:
    Spoiler:
    Well, Ford obeyed orders nicely in season one, but things look to chance drastically this season. Bates also obeyed orders, but he looks to be out of it this season IIRC. So that leaves Shep's away team of McKay, Teyla, and Dex (with the occasional Zelenka and Carson thrown in). While McKay does respect Shep and would normally obey "orders" (can Shep order McKay if he's not military?), McKay is certainly not the type who blindly obeys orders and I could see that leading to a conflict. I don't think Teyla can be ordered around by Shep either as she's alien, even though she recognizes him as the leader for the most part. She has disobeyed commands in the past (see LFP), so I could see that happening again. Add in Dex, whose whole character seems to scream "defiance!", and Shep may have a very hard time with things if other team members don't see it his way. I could even see Carson and Zelenka butting heads with him if the circumstances are right.

Comment

Hmm, interesting thread.

I don't think Shep ordered around people a lot in season one. Ford occasionally, yes, but that's about it. Everything else was dealing with running the city, which will now
      Spoiler:
      be Col. Caldwell's job. I think Shep will be more frustrated with his new subordinate position and having to follow orders, not having to give them.

Comment

Thats a great point, but i supose it will be important in missons where there are other teams offworld with SGA1.
        i just love to give and recieve GREENS

Comment

Originally posted by oragans
          Thats a great point, but i supose it will be important in missons where there are other teams offworld with SGA1.
          Who has a good point?

Comment

I never really thought about this. I am noticing that he's being completely dominated by Weir. I don't think the guy *ever* gets to be right. I'd love to see him knock Weir off her pedestal at least once before the series ends...

Good sci fi is about special effects. Great sci fi is about people.

Comment

Originally posted by manybleemsago
              I never really thought about this. I am noticing that he's being completely dominated by Weir. I don't think the guy *ever* gets to be right. I'd love to see him knock Weir off her pedestal at least once before the series ends...
              Weir is in charge......that could be why.

Comment

I think they should have kept Bates around. He was totally "by-the-book" and was a good contrast to Sheppard's "gut reactions". As it stands now, there really is no one for Sheppard to "lead" in a military sense.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

When they first went to Atlantis Sheppard wasn't the leader of the military. It was pushed onto him by the circumstances. While I think he will have troubles giving over the command to another officer, he seems to have a way of getting things done. I think I'm going to wait out the first episode to see where this is going.

As far as away teams, Teyla may be a big help because of her leadership position among her people. She understands the need for a chain of command.
                  "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                  'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                  Individuality is freedom lived.
                  'Janis Joplin'

Comment

ummm, hasnt Weir like caved to every single thing Sheppard has wanted... I think I read someone on this forum somewhere write that the script for the first few eps of atlantis were written like this:

Shep says "lets do this", and Weir says "Absolutly not", shep says "please", Weir says "no its too dangerous", Shep says "pretty please" and Weir says "oh, ok".

The one time they did actually butt heads, Shep ignored her entirely even though everyone else seemed to think she was right. Then he blew off the discussion about it later.

Not Seeing how he is being dominated.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                      I think they should have kept Bates around. He was totally "by-the-book" and was a good contrast to Sheppard's "gut reactions". As it stands now, there really is no one for Sheppard to "lead" in a military sense.
                      I liked bates. It sucks hes not in season 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Helo
                        Weir is in charge......that could be why.
                        The problem I'm having with it is that the writers are making them more than just commander/subordinate, but *friends* (e.g., he brings her gifts). I think it adds a dynamic that they aren't handling well.

I would like to see some kind of scene where Sheppard comes off better than he does. It doesn't even have to be dramatic - maybe just some fun repartee where he scores a point and leaves Weir speechless. It would make their relationship a lot more interesting and balanced.

Good sci fi is about special effects. Great sci fi is about people.

Comment

The problem I'm having with it is that the writers are making them more than just commander/subordinate, but *friends* (e.g., he brings her gifts). I think it adds a dynamic that they aren't handling well.

I would like to see some kind of scene where Sheppard comes off better than he does. It doesn't even have to be dramatic - maybe just some fun repartee where he scores a point and leaves Weir speechless. It would make their relationship a lot more interesting and balanced.
                          Well you can make your commander your friend. Thats like saying you can't be friends with your teacher.

Comment

There isn't anything wrong with them being friends. All he did was give her something for her birthday, and since it was something Athosian, who is to say it wasn't a gift from them as well. If you are worried about "ship", TV Guide said there was going to be flirting between Teyla and Shep, and lots of folks certainly aren't interested in seeing THAT.

I'm hoping TPTB keep the military angle going and not slide too much into total civilian mission, and I certainly don't want to see our ONLY military team member be shifted into "soap opera/romo/Kirk" mode either.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                              There isn't anything wrong with them being friends. All he did was give her something for her birthday, and since it was something Athosian, who is to say it wasn't a gift from them as well. If you are worried about "ship", TV Guide said there was going to be flirting between Teyla and Shep, and lots of folks certainly aren't interested in seeing THAT.

I'm hoping TPTB keep the military angle going and not slide too much into total civilian mission, and I certainly don't want to see our ONLY military team member be shifted into "soap opera/romo/Kirk" mode either.
                              Yea I agree. Green for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X