X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jettison expectations: 'Battlestar Galactica' is serious drama

From The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Jettison expectations: 'Battlestar Galactica' is serious drama, not kiddie sci-fi

Sunday, July 10, 2005
    By Rob Owen, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Some excerpts:

The show, which begins its second season Friday at 10 p.m. on Sci Fi Channel, has enough political intrigue to satisfy fans of "The West Wing," more religious allegory than any program on television, enough action and plot twists to rival "24" and the kind of character drama "Lost" fans crave.

Some publicists go out of their way to portray a TV show's cast as a happy family. No PR juicing is necessary here. Between takes, star Edward James Olmos delivers a birthday gift to Bamber's trailer, where Bamber's daughter, Isla, has just turned 2. McDonnell playfully interrupts a reporter's interview with Olmos, saying, "Don't believe a word of it!" Sackhoff whines jokingly -- no diva, she -- about the bugs crawling on her for a scene that requires her to feign sleep on the forest floor.

Not that this cast is a bunch of Pollyannas, either. Some give voice to understandable concerns. "Galactica" is currently filming a 20-episode second season with a one-month summer hiatus, keeping the series in production through December (10 episodes air this summer, another 10 in January). Bamber fears for his career prospects ("I wonder if there are other things in acting I'm missing out on while sitting here being Lee Adama") and Olmos worries about whether Moore can keep up the quality of the scripts.

"The writing has just gone through the roof this year," Olmos said. "The first seven episodes we've done this season have been better than any of the episodes in the first season."

Click on the link to read the entire article.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Yes this was a great article. I read it at work yesterday while I was on break and went over my time limit reading it. Lots of good stuff to say about BSG.

Comment

Working...
    X