PDA

View Full Version : Zero Point Modules (spoilers)

Mio
June 18th, 2004, 09:53 AM
And to think that we just finished building all those naquada generators in russia....

tfalls1
June 18th, 2004, 10:43 AM
spoilers

wonder why it had such a limited supply of energy... as according the spoilers the outpost weapon no longer will work and one can assume the ZPM is out of energy if they can not dial atlantis again... and then the supposed 3 in Atlantis are also low on energy.... and to think the power supply in the DHD's is really long lasting to make all those dial out's for thousands/millions of years????? just me rambling now :)

Mio
June 18th, 2004, 10:45 AM
You don't need spoiler space, I tossed the warning into the title.

Theoretically, should ZP energy ever run out?

I'm thinking that the modules are just crapping out after being used for millions of years.

tfalls1
June 18th, 2004, 11:24 AM
my question is why would the ones on Atlantis be low on energy... seems the ancients left the city behind to be found(they left clues about it) so why would they leave it on such low energy reserves or at least with a stockpile of extra ZPM's... yes the name of the module suggests that it is self-replinishing....

aAnubiSs
June 18th, 2004, 12:35 PM
You don't need spoiler space, I tossed the warning into the title.

Theoretically, should ZP energy ever run out?

I'm thinking that the modules are just crapping out after being used for millions of years.

A ZPE can never ''run out'' of energy as you mean it. But it can become ineffective. Imagine two tanks with water, one with 1 meter water in it, and one with 100 meter in it. If you would connect these 2 tanks, the water would run over into the tank which had 1 meter in it. But eventually it would be 50-50, so no water would flow. Now change the tanks with our dimension and hyperspace. The energy in vaccum vs the energy in hyperspace(if they connect to hyperspace) Eventually the levels would even out.

But seeing that if they're using the ZPE the energy level should decrease, so hyperspace would fill it up again. Maybe if it's not used for a while the connection between our space and hyperspace would close. IE the ZPE malfunctions.

Wonder how much that settled :)

Anubis
June 18th, 2004, 01:34 PM
ZP energy, is basically what is is called. It is unlimited in all cases, unless it was made otherwise

aAnubiSs
June 18th, 2004, 02:41 PM
ZPE would be unlimited 'til the day hyperspace is totally empty of energy. Good luck draining it though:>

Mio
June 18th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Sounds like a bet to me....::builds a ZPM out of duct tape and tooth picks::

But seriously.

After several large jolts of energy, or a long period of sustained high output, perhaps it just...burns out.

Or slowly deteriorates...like 500 years, this itty bitty spec of the crystal is fryed.

tfalls1
June 18th, 2004, 04:06 PM
so you think Jack broke the one they retrieved becuase he fired all his jellyfish at once :)

Mio
June 18th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Well...Anubis DID have a big fleet....

Anubis
June 18th, 2004, 11:53 PM
And when Bra'tac looked out the window, they all went up in the sky and then they all floated away and disappeared. I'm guessing that energy is used up, unless it takes time to recharge itself

Mio
June 19th, 2004, 04:26 AM
That's a possibility...uh oh! A Theory is coming!!

What if the ZPM draws ZP energy, and stores it. However, it can't draw that much energy at once, so It basically acts as a large self-recharging battery?

Anubis
June 19th, 2004, 04:33 AM
YAY for Mio! lol Since it is zero point, my guess is it is used and takes a while to recharge depending on the power required, or eventually the battery dies

hezie99
June 19th, 2004, 09:48 AM
well since jack had to replace 1 ZPM in the outpost weapon that does make it look like they can run out somehow

Anubis
June 19th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Yep, I guess. Like I said, my guess is they're like a battery

Mio
June 19th, 2004, 03:57 PM
::gets an idea:: Think they'd stand up in my MP3 Player?

Anubis
June 20th, 2004, 12:13 AM
You really think that would work? hehe

Beckmen
June 20th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Yeah, that's pretty weird. Maybe they need to be "recharged" somehow, but you don't actually need any power source to recharge it. Like you flick a switch and it draws energy. SGA needs to simply find out how to operate the things.

Of course, why didn't O'Neill just recharge the Antartic Outpost's ZPM? Ummm, maybe that was battle-damaged, disabled on purpose to prevent humans or Goa'uld using the tech (I like this theory) or something. Yeah, the Ancients disabled the ZPM way back when just incase a Goa'uld found it because it would give him a significant advantage, and if humans found it they'd probably end up esplodin' the planet because they wouldn't be ready. When humans aere ready, they'd know what a ZPM is and where to get it, so at THAT point they'd be able to use the outpost. O'Neill disabled the 2nd ZPM to stop the NID or any other neferious Earth org from using the outpost to take over the world or whatnot.

There's my 2 cents USD.

Anubis
June 20th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Maybe it can only be used once and it has to be recharged by someone or even a Ancient if they know it is in the correct hands. Or perhaps the same person has to do the dutys of recovering it

Mr Prophet
June 20th, 2004, 05:34 AM
I read somewhere that while ZP energy never runs out, according to current science any ZP engine would of necessity only work once. No idea why, I didn't grok that much of the science.

tfalls1
June 20th, 2004, 05:47 AM
I'm crossing my fingers that the writers will give us a reasonable explanation why theres enough power left in it for a dial out to Atlantis but then thats it??

aAnubiSs
June 20th, 2004, 06:09 AM
I read somewhere that while ZP energy never runs out, according to current science any ZP engine would of necessity only work once. No idea why, I didn't grok that much of the science.

You need an inital powersource to start it up and manage the fields keeping the energy in, but when it's online it can power that itself, so then another powersource isn't required.

Mio
June 20th, 2004, 06:32 AM
I'm crossing my fingers that the writers will give us a reasonable explanation why theres enough power left in it for a dial out to Atlantis but then thats it??

Idea? Maybe the missing power core for the weapon in "Ascention" was ZP based. It was post-ascended ancient tech. Sam was able to rig a naquada generator to overload and provide a power burst. Maybe that's enough energy to dial out with 8 chevrons.

tfalls1
June 20th, 2004, 07:19 AM
If you goto the Scifi.com/atlantis site and look in the pictures there is a sketch of the ZPM from lost city mounted into a voltage switch and jury rigged to provide power for the dial out ( i assume) ---

Anubis
June 20th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Yes, it's simular to the one they used in Lost City