Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INTERVIEW: Brad Wright & Robert Cooper (Executive Producers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INTERVIEW: Brad Wright & Robert Cooper (Executive Producers)

AUDIO INTERVIEW:
    EXECUTIVE DECISIONS
    GateWorld talks with Brad Wright & Robert Cooper

The men in charge of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis discuss the past, present, and future of the shows in our special 3-part interview!

PART ONE ...    PART TWO ...    PART THREE ...

Last edited by Darren; 11 July 2005, 01:38 PM.

Thanks Darren! (and David too ). The mp3 downloaded fine - altho I had some issue understanding people due to non-specific noise "fuzz"..... Much easier when reading the transcript at the same time. I'm sure it's just a result of trying to fit so much on such a small recorder....

It's interesting to hear them be positive about the new seasons while admiting there were problems with the last ones, and providing a little insight into why and how. Certainly makes me a little more inclined to be lenient with my criticsms and to more admire what they've managed to do

Looking forward to parts 2 and 3

Comment

Great interview guys. It's really nice to have some insight into how the show is thought about by the two people most responsible for it. Hopefully this will quell some of the intolerance from "longtime" fans who delude themselves into thinking that SG-1 has suffered creatively and "run out of gas." Late pickups, single season pickups, limited budget, limited commitment from the network--maybe it's suffered from preconceived notions as to its longevity, but not from a lack of desire or lack of production values.

It also confirms my theory that Sci-Fi is full of idiots who would rather pay for more creature features and Bruce Campbell movies than quality original programming. I mean, maybe I'm wrong and Tripping the Rift is bringing in the viewers gangbusters, but I doubt it.

Count me among those eagerly awaiting part two.

Comment

Thanks for the great interview so far, Darren. Some very interesting insights. Looking forward to the next two installments.

I still have to get in a small gripe though. For all the problems they have had in the past with getting Sci-Fi and MGM to pony up the money, I still don’t see the point in casting, what I consider, well known actors – Bridges & Gosset & even Pileggi - which to me equates to being more expensive, but since I’m not privy to their contracts or the show's new budget, then I’m just guessing they are commanding a higher dollar than say an actor who is not so well known, but could probably play the part as equally well. To me it just seems the budget increase has been directed at getting more expensive actors with a “name”, rather than going more so into the storytelling part which includes visuals, getting out of the SGC and filming at other locations away from Bridge, etc. which I value more.

Then again I’m just guessing and not stating fact, but, imo, I don’t find the hiring of these actors as a practical use of money even if the shows have a bigger budget to work with this season. RDA may have peaked my initial interest in the show because I knew who he was, but the rest were nobodies to me, yet have done a fine job. Personally, I don’t see the need to cast these higher profile actors or have the guest star of the week for me to take an interest in the show, but it’s their show so they can do whatever makes them happy………

Again thanks for the interview. Your hard work is much appreciated.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

Interesting interview, especially the part about the cost of making the show.

But I kinda felt that they kinda hyped up SG-1 season 9 and Atlantis just got a by the way. It's understandable considering that a lot of people have reservations regarding the changes though.

I did find it interesting that they felt that Atlantis didn't find its feet until "The Storm", I kinda agree with them there, the first half of the season wasn't bad, infact it was good, but it was all a little all over the place it took until mid eason for the show to find its niche.

BTW looking forward to see more of the city with the higher budget
          sigpic

Comment

Brad and Rob will be discussing Atlantis more in-depth in parts Two and Three.

Comment

lookin' foreward to it
              sigpic

Comment

Yep, if they talked more about SG-1 in Part 1 it's because that's how we steered the conversation. There's more Atlantis talk to come.

Darren

Comment

I can't believe i'm saying this...but i'm more excited for Season Nine than I have been for ANY other season of SG-1..including the first season. I love everything i've read about it so far...the cast..the story ideas...the over all general story and theme. It sounds fantastic.
                  It feels good to be alive.
                  Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

As much as I love interviews with cast members and guest stars, getting to hear the Stargate "masterminds" speak out is, IMO, more interesting.

Great interview so far, guys. Bring on part two!
                    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Wow, I couldn't believe I what I was reading. For the past two seasons of SG-1 and season 1 of Atlantis, which dispite what I'm going to say here I still enjoyed, I've had three issues.

1) The shows seemed rushed in the special effects/set design (planets, etc) areas. It has become apparent the show doesn't have enough money. I understand this is cable and not network, still they haven't come close to reaching DS9's level in these areas.

To have BW and RC just go out and say it like they did in the interview was awesome, that they know it has become a problem and steps have been taken to take care of it. Awesome, loved reading that part.

2) Charactors being overdeveloped in SG-1. SG-1 is going into its ninth season, and it seems that every charactor has seen just about everything. Their reactions to crazy situations are dull, as if they're saying "here we go again". It takes away from the episode/show, there is just less suspence among other things because now the viewer feels like "here we go again" and that's no fun.

Again, BW and RC mention this being a problem and that all the changes will re-vitalize the charactors, their reactions to situations etc. Awesome, 2 of my big issues with Stargate understood and dealt with by the highest powers.

3) Finally, with SG-1 it has been quite noticable that they are constantly writing the end of a season to become a potential end of the series for the last 3 years (Starting with Full Circle). That they aren't going to do this with season 9 is awesome, they're gonna write it as if season 10 is coming (that was the impression I got from what they said in the interview).

Great interview, my enthusiasm for Season 9 has grown considerably. Season 2 of Atlantis should be pretty awesome with the increased budget too.

Comment

I noticed that there was very little humor
                        But it was very interesting

Can't wait for Parts 2 and 3.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Darren and David, for this interview! (and all the other ones you have done for GW)!!

I was wondering---when did this interview (all three parts) take place? Where were they in the filming of season 9/season 2?

Comment

This recording was made in Robert's office during the April week of Creation's 2005 Vancouver convention.

The episodes that were shot while we were present were Trinity and The Powers That Be. The photos in
                            Spoiler:
                            Vala's throne room
                            , including this one and the shots of Teal'c pointing the P-90 were taken while we were watching them.

Comment

great interview so far... cant wait for pt3
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X