PDA

View Full Version : First Look at The Puddle Jumper

Butterfly-Dreamer
June 18th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Hey Guys.
Just to let you all know, there is a sketch of the puddle jumper over at the newly updated SCI-FI websitet.
I can't really give an opinion on it yet. I'll have to see it in the Flesh as it were.
What do you Guys think?

Idun
June 18th, 2004, 08:26 AM
I've already heard people critisizing it's design saying it looks a lot like the Star Trek transport vehicle. That was an early concept sketch, that's what it says on the sketch. At least there is some design on theis unlike Star Trek.

David85
June 18th, 2004, 08:35 AM
They have shown parts of it in pics here and there. It does kind of look like it's from ST but what doesn't. It has the front that you look out and the back that opens, what else do people want? Do they want funny looking things on it that do nothing?

Plus the Wraiths ships look different, and isn't there more ships than just the Jumper in the city?

Anubis
June 18th, 2004, 08:56 AM
The Wraith ships look promising and 'powerful'. Let's hope to see some good SFX

tfalls1
June 18th, 2004, 10:45 AM
my gripe is that the Gould ships look more advanced then what they are showing thus far fro the Puddle Jumper (early concept drawings and actual pics... the Wraith ships look very advanced and powerful... maybe there are some Ancient "fighters" just wish the PTB would have had those constucted for use instead of a "shuttle" craft

Idun
June 18th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Actually the Puddle Jumper is a fighter, from the sides I read from underground it point to the PJ to having weapons.

David85
June 19th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Spoilers here about Tech in the city...

"THE SHIPS. As an accomplished pilot, Sheppard is particularly interested in a bay of Ancient ships discovered in Atlantis. The ship of choice is nicknamed "Puddle Jumper," as it is designed to travel through the Stargate. In fact, the ship has a miniature dialing device on the main console, allowing remote-access dialing of the Stargate. It is also equipped with stealth mode, allowing it to become invisible. The ship seems to operate in part by reading the pilot's thoughts. The jumper is large enough to seat at least two at the forward controls, and at least six in the rear."

It says "Bay of... ships" so we prob will see the onlthers used down the road.

Spoilers for 38 Minutes...

Maybe the puddle jumber gets destroyed, no one would see that coming.

Anubis
June 20th, 2004, 12:16 AM
You may be right David85, but I'm not sure about it being destroyed, not that quick

tfalls1
June 23rd, 2004, 11:24 AM
maybe the show is going to be just like Voyager... stuck in space AND an endless supply of shuttles"puddle jumpers" to destroy :)

Wass
June 23rd, 2004, 11:29 AM
Well it may look like ST shuttle craft but the controls for the puddle jumper are completely different.

langdonboom
June 25th, 2004, 07:03 AM
you know, I don't know why I thought this, but I had always assumed when I heard of the "puddle jumpers" that they would turn out to be the kind of ship that Bratac and Teal'c and Hammond found buried in the forest of Hathor's world (episode 301) which I believe Bratac said had been buried for hundreds of years....

It did "jump puddles" if I recall (they "threaded the needle" with it), and we haven't seen any other Goa'uld ships like it before or since....

SO WHAT WAS THAT SHIP? I guess its not Ancient tech like I thought, just old Goa'uld tech or some other race's tech they lifted, eh?

Okay, I just went to scifi's episode guide and they refer to it rather cryptically as "an ancient Death Glider". Maybe of an old design. So its ancient, just not Ancient. Huh.

Thoughts?

They call me Tim
June 25th, 2004, 07:51 AM
I always thought that it was an old death glider that wasnt used anymore because it was so hard to fly through the gate...and the puddle jumper can dial the gate remotely and apparently cloak itself which the glider cant do

Mio
June 25th, 2004, 09:38 AM
The needle threading ship was a gou'ald design that was abandoned.

The puddle jumper, being of ancient design, will no doubt be packed with cool surprises...

Shadow Gate
June 25th, 2004, 03:46 PM
The needle threading ship was supposed to be either a prototype version of a Death Glider, or just an older version of the Death Glider. Actually in a sense, Death Gliders can puddle jump too, they are small enough to fly through a gate. In the Episode Singularity, when Nirti's Death Gliders were attacking Jack and Teal'c, as they were headed for the gate, one of the gliders swooped right through the unopened gate, so that shows that they can indeed fly through a gate, but we have never seen a normal Death Glider fly through an open gate.

Selmak
June 27th, 2004, 06:23 AM
All the pic of "Puddle Jumpers" have been from the back or a cockpit view. I would have to see the full vehicle and it's abilities before I make up my mind.

I wonder who came up with the nickname "Puddle Jumpers"?

Mr Prophet
June 27th, 2004, 02:45 PM
I wonder who came up with the nickname "Puddle Jumpers"?

And did they get paid for it?

Teal'c
June 27th, 2004, 04:48 PM
The needle threading ship was supposed to be either a prototype version of a Death Glider, or just an older version of the Death Glider. Actually in a sense, Death Gliders can puddle jump too, they are small enough to fly through a gate. In the Episode Singularity, when Nirti's Death Gliders were attacking Jack and Teal'c, as they were headed for the gate, one of the gliders swooped right through the unopened gate, so that shows that they can indeed fly through a gate, but we have never seen a normal Death Glider fly through an open gate.
That didn't happen. A battle raged for weeks on the old Delphi forums of me proving that that did not happen.

The glider pulled up before it got to the gate, because it is TOO BIG to fit through :P

Chevron_nine
June 27th, 2004, 07:50 PM
I agree with Teal'c the Death Glider is obviously too big to fit through the gate. And if you're interested in the puddle jumper check out the other thread about the Atlantis preview on the lost city DVD.

SPOILERS about the puddle jumper
There's a pic of it. It basically looks like a long rod with a slanted front. It also appears to have retractable thingies on the side which I assume are engines. They retract to fit when going through the gate.

Idun
June 27th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Or weapons, they got to be somewhere...

Chevron_nine
June 27th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Or weapons, they got to be somewhere...

Actually, they don't :p

Butterfly-Dreamer
June 28th, 2004, 01:21 AM
I've seen some pree viz work and some of the final sketches. It looks so awsome. it's on the new DVD (vol, 37 in the UK).

Matt G
June 28th, 2004, 05:18 AM
That didn't happen. A battle raged for weeks on the old Delphi forums of me proving that that did not happen.

The glider pulled up before it got to the gate, because it is TOO BIG to fit through :P

Ahh...but I had this warped image of a death glider flying through the gate into the SGC! ;) ;)

Whitster
June 28th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Ahh...but I had this warped image of a death glider flying through the gate into the SGC! ;) ;)

My persumption about the Needle-Threader was that it was used by the Go'uld before they had the tech/knowledge to build large intersteller spaceships, therefore they had to use those to attack planets rather than death gliders launched from motherships.

tfalls1
June 28th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Ok here I go again.... but the preview DVD pics posted on another thread show the Puddle Jumper with folding warp nacelles..... now it really does look like a takeoff on ST...
now here is the big question....
Did the Ancient's have large intergalactic ships and if so why not leavfe a few battleships behind and I wonder if the puddle jumpers can go intergalactic (If the Asgard can shouldn't the Ancients have had that also)???

Torley
June 28th, 2004, 03:04 PM
It gets hard to conceptualize increasingly powerful-looking modes of transportation and enemies... ! No kidding, after a point you've designed the most advanced-looking thing you can possibly muster up... only to learn there are even MORE powerful beings out there that need even stronger weapons and bigger ships!!

tfalls1
June 28th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Good point.... just after all these years of alluding to the Ancients as the techno superbeings we deserve to see some of the anticipated "uber" tech.
Now if the puddle jumper transformed itself into a battleship of sorts that would be cool but right now it just reminds me way too much of a clunky shuttle..... Oh well I have my fingers crossed that he PTB will come through for all us!!!!

greytop
June 29th, 2004, 12:11 PM
I haven't seen the puddle jumper yet. Does it look like the one Teal'c flew in Into The Fire (S3 E1)?

Shadow Gate
June 29th, 2004, 01:52 PM
There is a sketch pic of the puddle jumper now on Scifi's Atlantis site in the Tech section.

www.scifi.com/atlantis/tech

Selmak
July 8th, 2004, 09:23 PM
there is a small clip of a puddle jumper going through a gate in space on "the lowdown". It is different they I expected... it doesn't look like a Star Trek shuttle or the Needle Threader. It is uniquely ancient.

Ugly Pig
July 9th, 2004, 05:20 AM
there is a small clip of a puddle jumper going through a gate in space on "the lowdown".
And indeed it looks cool. :D

Anubis
July 9th, 2004, 08:03 AM
The puddle jumper looks great. The pics look awesome

gate traveler
July 9th, 2004, 08:05 AM
The puddle jumper is awesome!

Anubis
July 9th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Really? You had me startled for a second! :D

prion
July 9th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Here’s a grainy B&W shot of a puddle jumper

http://www.web-birds.com/7th/11/11th-08.jpg

Meanwhile, those have flown in puddle jumpers have this to say about their rotten experiences.

http://www.epinions.com/trvl-review-7A50-93EB6CE-38A8EEC7-prod6

you are probably totally confused, but apparently the folks working on SG1 either didn’t know that puddle jumper is a term for a small prop airplane, or else are trying for a joke …. :p

Anubis
July 9th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Nice puddle jumper! :)

/\NUBIS
January 14th, 2006, 02:42 PM
The Puddle Jumper reminds me indeed of a Star Trek shuttle... But since we can't change it anyway, we just will have to become used to this very similar design! And after all, I always liked the Star Trek Shuttles!! :)