X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Future of Ship

These new images dont really match the traditional ships in SG1 or Atantis

SG1 has always been Sam/Jack but with no Jack there seems to be a vacancy.

Atlantis fans have been divided over Weir/Sheppard or Teyla/Sheppard, but the writers tend to suggest Weir/Sheppard most of the time.

Does TV Guide know something we dont?
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Where does it say that two people standing next to each other on the cover of a magazine = ship? Cos I'm wondering what you'd make of the TV Guide of exactly two years ago...

Madeleine

Comment

To be very honest, I don't think there is going to be much of a future for "ship" in either Season 9 of SG-1 or SGA. TPTB have been making it clear thay are not in favor of it, and as they call the shots, I guess that's it.

I'm not adverse to the lack of ship, as it's not the reason I watch either show, however, AFTER 8 seasons of angst over the Sam/Jack fiasco, it would have been nice to just to have some closure.

Just my opinion.
      On fighting:
      Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
      Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

TV Guide is a magazine. Their goal is to sell magazines. It's pretty well assumed that putting sexy people on magazines sells magazines. So we have one person of each sex on the covers (except for the multi-fandom one, where it's two men and a woman), to appeal to everyone. In SG-1, there's not much choice for a woman to put on the cover, so it's Carter. As for the boys, well, Browder's the new lead, so he goes on the cover.

In Atlantis, Flanigan goes on the cover because he's the lead. So then you've got a choice between Weir, the woman in her mid-thirties, wearing a shirt that will probably cover quite a lot, or Teyla, the woman in her mid-twenties, with her tummy, arms, and a bit of chest bare. You do the math.

I wouldn't read anything into it. It's just publicity. Just pretty people standing together.

EDIT: The covers all look a little Photoshopped, if you ask me. The shadows don't look quite right, and I think I've seen that Browder shot elsewhere as a solo picture. So that could have been someone at TV Guide putting people together.
        Last edited by Melyanna; 05 July 2005, 08:27 PM.
        Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
        Last update: 14 April 2006
        Melyanna's Multimedia
        Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
          Where does it say that two people standing next to each other on the cover of a magazine = ship? Cos I'm wondering what you'd make of the TV Guide of exactly two years ago...
          Now you've got me curious, what did it have on the cover?

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
            Now you've got me curious, what did it have on the cover?
            Oh, I know that one! It had Jack and Daniel on the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonisa
              Oh, I know that one! It had Jack and Daniel on the cover.
              Bingo!

Madeleine

Comment

Haha well that should get all the slashers going

Comment

There will not be a ship between Sam and Cam. They'll be colleagues/friends only. I think we will get allusions to the Sam/Jack relationship through S9.....and I think we'll see Jack O'Neill again.

As for Teyla and Shep.....the jury's still out on that one. But I'm not investing any hopes for them, Shep/Weir or any other combination of characters on any show produced by TPTB. Whether you agree with the Sam/Jack relationship or not, the UST has gone on too long. Fans have been teased (or infuriated) for years over the Sam/Jack question.....and I won't let these guys do that to me again.

I was a Farscape fan too, and allowing John and Aeryn to be a couple didn't ruin the show, or cause polarization among different groups of fans. Was that because their only other options were Muppets? Hmmmm.....I've never figured that one out. Gee, maybe their new characters will get together.
                  Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 06 July 2005, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                    There will not be a ship between Sam and Cam. They'll be colleagues/friends only. I think we will get allusions to the Sam/Jack relationship through S9.....and I think we'll see Jack O'Neill again.
                    I agree, and RDA has been scheduled to appear in the opener, at the very least. I don't believe TPTB would just throw away this eight-year relationship that they've been building between the two of them. Plus, I heard somewhere (not that this is accurate, just one of 'those' rumors, you know how it goes ) that
                    Spoiler:
                    Lexa Doig and Ben Browder's characters were going to have a little bit of a spark. I'm not too sure that this will happen because, with the Daniel/Vala thing going on (whatever it is ) I don't think TPTB would shower on another ship-like couple, but who knows! That would be ironic, though. Ben Browder and the actor who portrays Vala (I just had a total brain fart and can't remember her name ) were together on Farscape, and MS and Lexa Doig are married...it's just like switching everyone around. Still, I doubt that it will happen!

As for the future of ship, *shrug*, who knows. For now, I'm willing to put my faith in TPTB (hoping they realized their mistake with J/S) and see what they come up with, then I'll decide whether I like it or not.

Comment

As for SG.1 well I thought perhaps Lexa Doig's character Carloyn Lamn will have a secret relationship with someone from the SGC behind her father's back. That could turn up to be funny scenes.
                      Lord Zedd

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                        Given some of the stretches that I've seen for people to create ship around here, I'd say that it's perfectly legitimate to imagine ship based on these pictures.

Now, if you want to talk about the seriousness of ship discussions here on GW, that's something else.

Comment

Working...
                        X