This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the shipping forum so popular?

I noticed that the characters/relationships forum is the most widely used? Can someone explain to me why? I guess I can't see why people would care if Thor has a relationship with Carter or Teyla with Weir...lol...I just dont see the point in it. Doesn't the technology, different races, new worlds excite you more?

The shipper forum contains ALL the character appreciation (or whatever form) threads. This includes all the Appreciation/Ship/Thunk/Whump or what-have-you threads for just about any character or face in the Stargate universe. It's the largest forum because the majority of the members here at GW like posting in the appropriate character appreciation thread. The size of the forum only goes to show the appeal of the characters in the stargate universe.

Comment

Extremely well said, TechnoWraith!

The GW Forum universe is a large and varied one, GateMan2000. Some posters enjoy humor and the character interaction more than discussions of the pseudo-science of the TV show. But there is plenty of room for everyone who wishes to play and all points of view are valid, even the ones you might not share.

Comment

Originally posted by GateMan2000
        I noticed that the characters/relationships forum is the most widely used? Can someone explain to me why? I guess I can't see why people would care if Thor has a relationship with Carter or Teyla with Weir...lol...I just dont see the point in it. Doesn't the technology, different races, new worlds excite you more?
        I agree so much. The only reason i came this time was because i saw this post in The Gate Room

Comment

I guess the reason I enjoy the various thunk threads is first and foremost the posters that frenquent them are absolutely nuts! They're exactly the same as I am. LOL.

The only ship I really follow is SMOR, the union of Sam / Thor. It's pure fun, silliness and it makes me laugh after a long hard day at the office. I like being around people who don't take themselves and their sci-fi so seriously that they can't have fun with it. I love the SMOR thread because there's a whole backstory to the Sam / Thor relationship that keeps me in ROFL. The various snapshots of the two of them and the accompanying caps are hysterical! I marvel at the creativity of the posters who post there - what the idle mind can think up knows no bounds.

As for the thunk threads, my reason for spending time in the RDA, BB, CJ & MS threads is much more basic: I like looking at good looking men, preferably clad in leather. Black leather. Tight black leather. That's it. No deep or lofty reason - I'm there for the eye candy, period. I am shameless hussy and I embrace my hussiness.

I hope that answers your question.
          "You cannot reason with your own heart;
          it has it's own laws and beats about things
          which the intellect scorns."
          - Mark Twain -

Comment

People like ships
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

I guess it's just the romantic in all of us.
              On fighting:
              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                People like ships
                Personally, I prefer boats, well, canoes. Nice and streamlined :

Comment

What interests me in watching a show is the relationships among the characters. And that's not necessarily the romantic relationships or possible romantic relationships either.

The friendships that develop I find interesting. The widely different people put together in a very unique situation where otherwise they would never have met.

How such a unique setting changes the characters individually. So I like to talk about how the characters have changed because of their experiences.

And while I don't really care if certain pairings get together in a romantic relatioship or not I have fun speculating.

The science part doesn't really interest me in so a far as talking about it. I know very little about science or technology and really don't care whether they're getting it right or not. That's why they call it science fiction at least imo.

The aliens and other worlds interest me in how they relate to the characters on the show and what impact they have on the characters. That's why the Relationship and Characters forum interests me most.

Comment

You've got to remember that people from all different backgrounds enjoy Sci-fi for various reasons. I happen to like the characters I see and what each of them bring to the table in the action/new world setting. I am a totally sane and unabashed shep/weir shipper as well. I like a 'total' show that indulges in the total human experience. Even though I'm female, soap opera-esque type shows don't do it for me because they don't build relationships slowly over time and through shared trials and experiences.

Sci-fi storylines tend to be a little smarter than the average show and therefore the characters are a little smarter. I like a little intelligence with my characters as well as my romance. I like strong women and strong men that we usually see in the Sci-fi genre.

I just don't think that you can pigeonhole a series because it is 'Sci-fi' and say 'oh, that should be all about new technologies and hack and slay'. The human aspect that deals with all the problems that cool, new technology brings is equally important to a good story. I've never understood why some folks that claim to be sci-fi 'purists' are willing to embrace the characters showing human characteristics such as nervousness, fright, anger, frustration, sadness, happiness and the like but always want to put a road-block in front of the most beautiful human characteristic of all: The ability to love and be loved by another human being.

-Bama

Comment

I think that the reason so many people like the ship threads is because we are admiring the chemistry two or more people have when put in a scene together whether it'd be a personal relationship-ship or a friendship-ship.

Then there's also the Thunk/Wump/Appreciation threads. We admire their talents of acting, their utter hottness, and the butt kicking people do in both shows.

Comment

Hi GateMan. Thanks for asking - that's a thought provoking question. I haven't been around for the last few months, been off on maternity leave. But if I was around then I think the character discussions are where you're likely to find me, when it is between seasons. Once the season has started I'm far more interested in discussing storylines.

You really made me think about why that might be - it hadn't occured to me before to consider why I prefer these aspects of discussion. For me personally, it is partly to do with fun. I love talking about MacKay and Sheppard because it is fun. I also love to talk MacKay/Carter so it's not something I take too seriously! I think the reason why I like to talk about the characters in this way is that it is a different way of exploring what makes them tick. Just like, for me, slash is a way of exploring the emotional aspects of a same gender relationship where those two characters aren't paired on screen, and aren't likely to be paired.

So, the short answer is, becuase it is a bit of a laugh!
                        sigpic

Comment

See, this is why there's a seperate section for Character Appreciation and Shippiness because it's not everyone's cup of tea.

The point of this forum is to have fun, isn't that right?

I don't really find the whole scientific talk all that exciting.

I like to joke around and talk ship, or characters, or vids, or icons, or just silly stuff.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                          Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Personally I like everything
                            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                            love Torri

Comment

Shipping is fun! Do planets and tech make you blush, squeal and feel like you're gona faint? I don't think so!

And it's fun to look beyond the simplest, most straight-forward scene and see something more personal to the characters (whether it's there or not, that's not the point )

All hail the Sam/Jack ship family, the McKeylans, the SMORers, John/Liz shippers and all that happy crowd.

Hallowed are the Ships! *spontaneously combusts*
                              May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Working...
                              X