PDA

View Full Version : Crux Magazine take on BSG

Sci-Fi
June 30th, 2005, 12:05 PM
From Crux Magazine:

Battlestar Galactica (http://cruxmag.typepad.com/situation_critical/2005/06/battlestar_gala.html)

by Ken Brown
June 29, 2005

In a little over two weeks, my favorite show will begin its second season. Battlestar Galactica (produced by Ron Moore and David Eick) is what television should be---thought provoking, edgy, true to life where it counts but fueled by a fertile imagination and a talented cast and crew. Beginning Friday July 15 at 10/9C on the SciFi Channel, this is a show that unflinchingly confronts some of the toughest moral dilemmas in a way that is hugely entertaining, defies pat answers, and leaves an important place for the sacred and the spiritual.

Click on the link to read the entire article.

:p ;) :) :D

fair_nymph
July 1st, 2005, 08:49 AM
Great article! Some of my favourite bits below:

Despite its outlandish premise, this is a show brimming over with characters and stories that are true to life. Here there are no cut and dried divisions between “good guys” and “bad guys,” no cookie-cutter storylines or simple solutions to difficult problems. Instead, we are faced with realistic, complex, imperfect people forced into a near impossible situation, struggling to do the best they can. Truly one of the best aspects of the show; the characters have so much depth, so many facets.

It maintains a deep belief in moral truth but an unflinching honesty about the struggles and ambiguities real people face in the struggle to survive. I think this is the ultimate effect of the spiritual parts of the show, and it makes it that much more powerful.

yaaayoubetcha
July 1st, 2005, 12:37 PM
an interesting article, but the first (and so far only) reply to it on the same page is equally interesting...

Madeleine
July 1st, 2005, 09:31 PM
an interesting article, but the first (and so far only) reply to it on the same page is equally interesting...

Absolutely: ""There is a great deal I disagree with in Galactica, but that’s OK because this is not a show that asks you to accept its worldview, but one which forces you to ask questions.""

Spot on.