This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PR: Battlestar Galactica soundtrack

I have been given permission to post this press release in this forum. Thanks!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: SEASON ONE SOUNDTRACK TO BE RELEASED BY LA-LA LAND RECORDS ON JUNE 21

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA TOUTED AS ONE OF THE TOP 10 SHOWS CURRENTLY ON TV BY TIME MAGAZINE AND TV GUIDE

(May 16, 2005- New York, NY) – Considered one of the top 10 shows currently on TV by Time Magazine and TV Guide, Battlestar Galactica is the #1 show on the Sci Fi Channel. On June 21, La-La Land Records will release the Battlestar Galactica: Season One soundtrack, featuring more than 78 minutes of the best musical moments from season one of this highly acclaimed new series.

Battlestar Galactica: Season One contains both the US and UK main title themes as well as music composed by Bear McCreary for the series, which TV Guide declared “a breakaway hit…poised to replace Star Trek as TV’s definitive sci-fi series.” The CD packaging features exclusive liner notes from McCreary and the show’s executive producer David Eick.

Composer Bear McCreary is a classically trained composer with a degree in Composition and Recording Arts from the prestigious USC Thornton School of Music. He has composed score for over thirty independent films, including director Jon Chu’s musical short When the Kids Are Away and the Discovery Channel miniseries The 5 Coolest Things. McCreary was among a handful of select composers to have studied independently with the late film music legend Elmer Bernstein (The Magnificent Seven).

While some of the names may be the same, this is not your father’s Battlestar Galactica! Captain “Husker” Adama (Edward James Olmos) and President Larua Roslin (Mary McDonnell) lead the Battlestar Galactica crew. They are trying to locate the fabled 13th Colony of humans, planet Earth, to join with their brethren against the Cylons which have taken over their homeland. The Cylons, which can look like humans and even be programmed to think they are, aren’t the only threat, as morale and the quantity of supplies are always an issue. In an interesting casting choice, Richard Hatch (who played Captain Apollo in the original series), is cast as villain Tom Zarek, a political prisoner who has spent the past 20 years in jail for his participation in the bombing of a government building.

"With its unique combination of intricate character arcs, dark ambience and gritty battle sequences, Battlestar Galactica afforded me countless opportunities for musical exploration,” said McCreary. “Fans will immediately recognize all their favorite musical moments from the first season, including the lush orchestral works featured in the dynamic two-part season finale. I am extremely proud of this collection and look forward to continuing this musical journey into the second season and beyond."

The second season of Battlestar Galactica will begin airing in July on the Sci Fi Channel. The Battlestar Galactica: Season One soundtrack will be available in stores or from www.lalalandrecords.com on June 21, 2005. The soundtrack from the Battlestar Galactica mini-series is also available from La-La Land Records.
    ###
    For more information please contact: [email protected]

I really, really like the music for the series. It's simply beautiful; I particularly liked the music during the KLG 1 teaser and also the credits music.

But amazingly, I like the miniseries music (I believe it is a different composer) even MORE; the drumbeat and the opening music (when we see some credits, after six blows up the space station) are hypnotically good.

I'm going to end up spending so much money on this show, sigh.

Comment

I've got the mini series and season 1 soundtracks on a constant loop at the moment

Comment

^^^
        I'm jealous! Transmit it to me psychically, please.

Comment

Originally posted by fair_nymph
          I really, really like the music for the series. It's simply beautiful; I particularly liked the music during the KLG 1 teaser and also the credits music.

But amazingly, I like the miniseries music (I believe it is a different composer) even MORE; the drumbeat and the opening music (when we see some credits, after six blows up the space station) are hypnotically good.

I'm going to end up spending so much money on this show, sigh.

I agree with you, absolutely.

I felt the credits in the miniseries were devoted to the cylons, as a threat approching. In the opposite, the credits in the series seem to be devoted to t he Colonies. It seems like they are mourning...and it sets a perfect tone for a different story.

I also loved the PASSAGLIA (teaser music at the beginning of KLG1) (sorry if I´ve misspelled it) and THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME (KLG2). These are my favourite themes. My least one, even though I´ve enjoyed it in the CD is the one in HAND OF GOD. I thought it was a bit too similar to other pictures (for example, BLACK HAWK DOWN).

I´m also spending too much money on this show (mini and soundtrack, series and soundtrack....a few magazine. My best friend told me I´ve become a "friki" (spanish adaptation to freak). But I decided a few years ago I wasn´t complaining because of TV I wasn´t interested in to, but I was chosing and paying for the ones I really wanted to see. It´s less expensive than I thought and I just watch what I want to and listen to the music I love instead of watching realities or talk shows.

If you are into TV soundtracks...check FRANK HERBERT´S DUNE and CARNIVALE. They have nothing in common with BSG...just great music!
          Last edited by DOIKECARTER; 05 July 2005, 02:00 AM.

Comment

^^^
            Dune is wonderful...I will check out Carnivale too, thanks for the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by fair_nymph
              ^^^
              Dune is wonderful...I will check out Carnivale too, thanks for the tip!

I loved DUNES 5th (desert trek) and 23th theme (paul´s vision).

Carnivale´s one is as unique as the series is...but it´s fabulous too

Comment

Originally posted by DOIKECARTER
                I loved DUNES 5th (desert trek) and 23th theme (paul´s vision).

Carnivale´s one is as unique as the series is...but it´s fabulous too
                I have all the Dune soundtracks! Movie and both miniseries. The music from Earthsea was good too, but I have and love both of the new Battlestar soundtracks. I love 16 on the season one track, the translation of the lyrics is hilarious!
                *THUNK*

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."- Adam Savage

Cassidy- "Go ahead, Munch, rain on my parade."
                Munch- "I don't just want to rain on your parade, I want to blow up all the floats."

Comment

I ended up with both the mini-series soundtrack and the season 1 soundtrack. You almost need both as many of the themes heard in the mini-series were carried over into the show (and are not heard on the season 1 CD).

BTW, Bear McCreary was the assistant to the composer for the mini-series (whose name has slipped my feeble mind at the moment).

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

^^^
                    Richard Gibbs I believe.

I didn't know that McCreary was an assistant to the miniseries...that makes a lot of sense actually, and explains how even though the music has been different, there has been good continuity between the miniseries and the series.

Comment

Working...
                    X