Starbuck Wild: ‘Battlestar Galactica’ star spills all

(Some mild spoilers)

From Wizard Magazine:

Starbuck Wild: ‘Battlestar Galactica’ star spills all

By Mel Caylo
    June 29, 2005

A few excerpts:

Spoiler:
    In Wizard #166 (on sale today), actress Katee Sackhoff, who plays Lt. Kara “Starbuck” Thrace on the hit SCI FI Channel series, “Battlestar Galactica,” spills some secrets on what to expect in season two, which kicks off on Friday, July 15. The show, a reimagining of the original series that aired in 1978, has fans buzzing for its dark and realistic telling of what some say is “the story of Exodus—set in space.”

We caught up with Sackhoff during a break in filming on the Vancouver set, and here’s what else she had to say.

On the scenes she’s been filming lately: I’ve been in bed for the last two days on the show, so my leg started to atrophy and I was like, “Holy crap. I need to go work out.”

On the religious overtones of the show: There’s a lot of praying. A lot of praying. My character seems to get on two knees all the time. [Laughs]. Starbuck’s extremely religious and she believes in the prophecies, so I think she’s probably the one we see most on the show praying. She is extremely religious and she believes in what the President [Mary McDonnell] has said and I think that what’s also hard about it—she’s torn between her beliefs and her duties. It’s all very interesting.

On what is was like to film inside a Cylon Raider: It was absolutely horrible. Every time I climbed inside I screamed. I’m such a girl, like people don’t understand that, like I am such a girly girl. I have nails and wear stilettos and wear dresses and the last thing I want to do is go play in gook. And not only play in it, but also put it in my mouth! It was so nasty, especially because that day, we shot all the stuff on the planet before that. It was just the hardest day I ever had on the show because I had that pack on my back and it actually had 40 pounds of air in it. All day long, running around this planet. So I was getting sweaty, but the flight suits are made of rubber, so it holds the wetness in and then they were turning on this giant 10-foot fan and it was blowing cold air on me so at one point, my lips were blue. So when I did that stuff in the Raider, I had the flu. And I was putting it in my mouth, do a take, throw up, do a take, throw up. Which was not one of my finer moments.

On what the Cylon Raider innards were made of: You want to know something really scary? The reason fast food chains don’t call their shakes milkshakes is because the base product in it is the exact same base product of that goo. Is that not the most terrifying thing you’ve ever heard in your life? Yeah. It’s so gross, too ’cause I love Jack in the Box milkshakes.

It’s the same stuff they used in “Ghostbusters.” They just added more water in it I guess ’cause ours was slimy. Ours was stringier, which made it even better. It is edible. That’s what’s so gross about it. So, I probably ate a pound of the crap.

On Starbuck getting beat up a lot this season: I keep joking with the producers ’cause every episode I seem to get my ass kicked and I ask them, “For once, can I not have a huge bruise on my face or something?” So I keep telling them I need hazard pay because I’m getting the crap kicked outta me by a Cylon, I’m getting cut open, I have gunshot wounds, like, I’m so beat up. Like me and Jamie Bamber [Capt. Lee “Apollo” Adama], we’re getting beat up every single episode, and supposedly, in [this season’s] episode 10, Jamie and I just get the living s--t beat out of us. We get jumped, so it’s gonna be like a huge gang fight with Jamie and me under the pile. More bruises. Yay.

On her character’s promiscuity: Yeah, Starbuck’s either getting beat up or having sex. One of the two. At this point, I’m ready to line up all the male cast and say, “Let’s get it over with now and just stockpile the scene so we don’t have to do it anymore. I’m sure I’m gonna get a phone call at one point asking, “So how do you feel about Michael [Hogan, Col. Tigh]? Would you care to have sex with him? ’Cause we wrote it, so get ready!”

On why Starbuck seemingly has it in for Col. Tigh: There’s got to be something more there and I think they just haven’t written it yet. Knowing our show, we’re gonna find out he’s her father or something stupid like that. I don’t know, something crazy.

On any similarities between her and her character: Starbuck’s quick comebacks, that’s kind of me. That funnier side of Starbuck we started to see in the first season, that’s me because I’m just a complete jokester all the time. I don’t take anything seriously—we’re not curing cancer, we’re actors. I poured some of my lightheartedness into her which I think makes her move believable. I was a tomboy in high school, so I draw from that, but Starbuck’s tough and I’m not tough at all. I’m just a big wimp.

Click on the link to read the entire article

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

wow sounds interesting thanks scfi
    Try and have as much fun as you can ... you'll never know how long it will last

Comment

very interstin' info there scifi thanxz for sharin'
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X