PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Atlantis?

SGSlugger
June 12th, 2004, 07:33 PM
This thought came to me as I was eating at a chinese buffet today:

How come Atlantis looks like it is in perfect running order? From what I've read about the Wraith, they destroy every civilization they come across to feed. So why is Atlantis untouched?

Mio
June 12th, 2004, 08:10 PM
A) Atlantis has a powerful energy shield surrounding it
B) The wraith hibernate for 200 years at a time before feeding....
C) Atlantis was originally on Earth, and launched for an unknown reason into an ocean, the wraith may not know it's there.

Anubis
June 13th, 2004, 01:56 AM
The story went, it was originally on Earth and for some unknown reason, it moved away from there, maybe because the Wraith knew its whereabouts, maybe not

SGSlugger
June 13th, 2004, 07:37 AM
But things deteroite (sp) after time. Atlantis has to have been sitting there for millions of years, and yet it looked unscathed. And what happened to the Ancients that inhabitited it?

Mr Prophet
June 13th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Well this was back in the days when they built things to last. None of your modern, plastic disposable culture; we're talking about craftsmanship! GrumblegrumblewhenIwasalad...

Mio
June 13th, 2004, 08:15 AM
ZPM....does the ZP stand for zero point? ::ponder::

SGSlugger
June 13th, 2004, 10:23 AM
I think that ZPM is a power module that runs Atlantis. So I'd have to say:

Zuper - Power - Module :p

June 13th, 2004, 11:58 PM
well i think it is damaged and kinda in ruins...and it was underwater all this time...so that too can count...and i think that's all i have to add

Anubis
June 14th, 2004, 12:14 AM
I think maybe the city being under water for a while may have caused some problems. I'd espically like to see how the shield protected it or if it failed

Mio
June 14th, 2004, 03:41 AM
minor spoiler

!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
isn't their arrival supposed to disrupt the shield or something?

Anubis
June 14th, 2004, 04:44 AM
I think their interfierance causes problems

David85
June 14th, 2004, 08:21 AM
minor spoiler

!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
isn't their arrival supposed to disrupt the shield or something?

Yes it does and I'm shocked no one remembers this.

Whats the name of the episode? "Rising"
What do you think is "rising"? Hmm.....

*note*
I'm being sarcastic people, of course it's the water!

Anubis
June 14th, 2004, 08:28 AM
My guess is rising will be to do with the city rising out of the water. Makes sense!

SGSlugger
June 14th, 2004, 11:04 AM
My guess is rising will be to do with the city rising out of the water. Makes sense!

Your logic defies me! ;) All hail the mighty Anubis! :p

Mio
June 14th, 2004, 06:09 PM
::hails the might anubis::

Lil Naitch
June 18th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Here's a small logic gap...
If the SGC went looking for atlantis to gain technology to fight the Goa'uld, how are they planning on using the technology they find if they CAN'T BRING IT BACK TO EARTH?

Mio
June 18th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Since this is a full ancient city, where they literally built stuff and everything...there are bound to be schematics in the chair...err...computer....

tfalls1
June 18th, 2004, 05:04 PM
yes ... there should be records on how to rebuild and how to repair everything ... if the shield has been intact the city should be as they left it.

Mio
June 18th, 2004, 06:59 PM
considering the fact that it has been underwater....the shield better be intact!

Anubis
June 19th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Hehe. We don't want to rusty old city now

JakeDeuxPointZero
June 20th, 2004, 06:06 PM
I actually think some of you are wrong on this location of Atlantis thing. I'm guessing, myself, that it has always been in the Pegasus galaxy, although it was underwater. But I don't think it was ever on Earth, myself.

Mio
June 20th, 2004, 09:03 PM
spoilers, TLC

It was originally written in the script for TLC to show a picture of Atlantis rising from the ice thousands of years ago, and flying to the pegasus galaxy. We're consdering this to be true.

Anubis
June 21st, 2004, 12:15 AM
I think it would have been a good idea for Atlantis to fly away giving the Atlantis team all the more reason to go in search for it

Mio
June 21st, 2004, 05:27 AM
Not to mention the fact that Atlantis being built here is excellent for confusing people about Earth's history.

Anubis
June 21st, 2004, 07:41 AM
Too right, that will certainly start some questions and explorations

David85
June 21st, 2004, 09:54 AM
It was going to be on Earth to fit into the Earth storys we have, then SG1 got an eighth season and the writers didn't want two shows to be set on Earth, so they moved the city. Hopefully they will explain that it was on Earth and why it moved during the show.

"ATLANTIS. The lost city of the Ancients is an island unto itself, surrounded by a vast body of water on the surface of a planet in the Pegasus galaxy (... eventually)."

Anubis
June 21st, 2004, 10:55 AM
Well it was originally going to be in Antartica, but then season eight was announced and a spin-off was requested

David85
June 21st, 2004, 11:20 AM
I thought that info was released after the news of the 8th season? It kind of has to because before the 8th season was said the city was just going to stay on Earth, the whole moving thing is because of season 8.

Anubis
June 21st, 2004, 11:23 AM
It has to be done correctly for it to be adapted

Teal'c
June 21st, 2004, 02:40 PM
SPOILERS Atlantis (Rising)

Beagle, I believe it was, said that the scene originally written for the end of Lost City was put in at the start of Atlantis, showing the city leaving Earth.

Anubis
June 22nd, 2004, 12:13 AM
Teal'c, that scene was originally written for the movie but it was then announced that season seven was ordered

Teal'c
June 22nd, 2004, 11:09 AM
Teal'c, that scene was originally written for the movie but it was then announced that season seven was ordered
It was originally written for Lost City *holds up page from Lost City script* :P

Mio
June 22nd, 2004, 01:40 PM
I really would have liked to see them add that on....Though the special effects cost probably would have made the Anubis battle less than absolutely stunning...

whitepinkbun
May 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I know this thread is old but i just have to make sure everyone knows ZPM stands for zero point module and gets its power from a self contained region of subspace where the ZPM draws zero point energy from a vaccum... apparently.

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
May 29th, 2009, 03:18 PM
The timeline at the link in my signature below might help sort things out a bit for some of you. :)

Vyse99
May 29th, 2009, 07:04 PM
My question is how they managed to repair it after the stargate blew up in season 5 lol.

Here's a small logic gap...
If the SGC went looking for atlantis to gain technology to fight the Goa'uld, how are they planning on using the technology they find if they CAN'T BRING IT BACK TO EARTH?

Daniel knew Atlantis had a intergalactic hyperdrive, I think they were hoping they'd be able to fly Atlantis back to the Milky Way but they never found enough ZPMs till the end of the series.

AleksisMi
June 26th, 2018, 05:19 AM
too bad they never found a blockaded ship yard that could produce aurora class cruisers, could you imagine how over powered that would make earth, just producing a new ship every episode and launching it with a automated robotic crew and a few "co captains"