This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idea about how we win this battle

Since we assume we will win this battle for now. it might be our dumb ideas in combination with luck. As thor said they needed a less advanced way to keep the replicators from thier planet in season 4 the replicators didn't expect that way of thinking this might be the same with the wraith.

explination for update in reply #58
    Last edited by mindtwister; 16 June 2005, 04:43 PM. Reason: Updating my thought

I think in the case of the Wraith, it would be more of a question of overconfidence (they're not used to food that shoots back) and new tactics/technologies they've not encountered.

The Wraith are an aggressive warlike race. But then, so are we. And we've had LOTS of practice at it. The wraith, well, they just sorta sleep for thousands of years, occasionally waking up to eat. They really don't get much practice at warfare. Heck, in their entire history they've probably only had about 100 years or so of real warfare. We've had, what, at least 5-10,000 years worth? I'd say they're WAY outclassed there.

Comment

Remember in "Suspicion" when they stunned that Wraith "grunt". As soon as they approached him he detonated his self-destruct. They may have been sleeping for the past 10,000 years, but looks to me their still on the edge of their game.
      302's lead the way!

Comment

Rule number one of warfare never undereastime your enemy.
        "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Long-range extremely powerful weapons may be the only way to go. We cannot build fast enough nor have enough trained people fast enough to take them on on a one-on-one dogfight basis. Think Battle of Britain or something similar if you don't know that one. We know the wraith stop to feed along the way, we need to deprive them of that, perhaps by moving people away through the gate then when the wriaht turn up to feed, exploding the sun. A biological weapon would be a good way, perhaps one that spread through their psychic network, a mental attack. I think extremely powerful weapons with amazing guidance could be used e.g. a naquadriah enhanced nuclear warhead on a missile that has a small hyperdrive it flies in hyperspace, re-emerging inside a hive ship full of darts and explodes immediately, if we could do that we would be levelling the playing field significantly, the key being to do it before the darts emerge because there are just so many of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wass
            Rule number one of warfare never undereastime your enemy.
            What's rule number two?

Ace
            "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

I think although there are many of the Wraith they ae no match for Asgard sheilding and waht ever weapons the Daedalus is packing because they showed no evidence of sheilding.
              Aswell as that the Wraith arent expecting a ship just to pop out of hyperspace and start firing onto the hives.

Does anyone think this is a little like the battle the hologram ancient was talking about?
              The gaint battle that the Ancient faught with the Wraith and lost and everyone knew that that was the begining of the end for the Ancients. But what if theis is our version of that battle, if we win it is effectivly the end of the Wraith as we would start gaining support and power and the Wraith are running out of food and were blocking there access with a sheiled Atlantis.

Lantia home of Atlantis, Lost City of the Ancients

Anyone else going Portsmouth University in the summer?

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                What's rule number two?

Ace
                I'll throw my hat in the ring, "Know your enemy better than you know yourself."
                302's lead the way!

Comment

Originally posted by SGRanger06
                  I'll throw my hat in the ring, "Know your enemy better than you know yourself."
                  Not bad... can you name any more of Sun Tzu's principals without looking them up on the internet?

The ones that come to mind for me are:

Don't attack an enemy that has the high ground
                  Don't attack elite troops
                  An army is nothing without it's supplies

and my personal favorite:

A requirement of an army is that it must have 1000 quick horses...

I'd have to go and look up more...those are only the ones I can remember

Ace
                  "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

How "we" win this battle?

How strange it is that in the SG-1 fandom, folks actually include themselves in the imaginary protagonist groups. I don't think I've ever seen that anywhere else.

For myself, I could never put myself in a "we" with a fictitious group. It's just too far down that road. A neutral grouping that I might arbitrarily be in, like "humanity", maybe... but even that is a bit much.

Why not just say SGA or the SGC and leave it at that?

But to the question at hand... it is part of the Stargate formula that the villains must be overconfident or stupid in some way. The Goa'uld are hamstrung by their belief in their own godhood. They feel the need to foolishly gloat like a bad comic book villain. The replicators also have an Achilles heel in creating Fifth who can be exploited, or in Replicarter's need to eliminate life in a galaxy where a weapon that could destroy her exists (why not just head out into intergalactic space?).

The Wraith are similarly stupid. They have a carbon copy of the Goa'uld arrogance. It is like the Nazi belief that they were the ubermensch in WWII preventing them from even imagining that their coding machines could be cracked.. but on an even more monumental level.

This sort of idea isn't new. In Star Wars the Death Star was arrogantly created without evaluating the threat from one man fighters. The Emperor in the Return of the Jedi arrogantly thought he could destroy the Rebellion in one grand manipulation and brought about his own end.

But there at least they were single mistakes. In Stargate, the mistakes are global.. massive. Too massive, in fact, to be believable. But when it comes right down to it, that plot element is the how the SGC will always survive, will always win. Because the villains are created with unbelievably arrogang stupidiy as a trait.

I wish they'd come up with another plot element!
                    Last edited by Darth Buddha; 14 June 2005, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganjaman
                      Long-range extremely powerful weapons may be the only way to go. We cannot build fast enough nor have enough trained people fast enough to take them on on a one-on-one dogfight basis. Think Battle of Britain or something similar if you don't know that one. We know the wraith stop to feed along the way, we need to deprive them of that, perhaps by moving people away through the gate then when the wriaht turn up to feed, exploding the sun. A biological weapon would be a good way, perhaps one that spread through their psychic network, a mental attack. I think extremely powerful weapons with amazing guidance could be used e.g. a naquadriah enhanced nuclear warhead on a missile that has a small hyperdrive it flies in hyperspace, re-emerging inside a hive ship full of darts and explodes immediately, if we could do that we would be levelling the playing field significantly, the key being to do it before the darts emerge because there are just so many of them.
                      Woah buddy its not good to go blowing up stars left and right lol. Remember the wraith outnumbered the ancients by huge numbers. I think they said that atlantis was the size of manhatten and there are about 1.5 million people in manhatten. So lets say with Daedalus there will be what maybe a few thousand (im being generous) tau'ri. They're going to have to get real crafty if they want to beat the wraith. I would say a biological weapon would work best. And the Daedalus has asgard shields and engines and goa'uld weapons. Hit and run works good. Single out a hive ship or two and then hit them hard. Same way to get the genii to cooperate. And while were on the Sun Tzu theme this explains it best.
                      Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.

Comment

I have an idea!!
                        As homer Simson would say "Hit them where the live" Bart-"House?" "bingo"

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                          Not bad... can you name any more of Sun Tzu's principals without looking them up on the internet?
                          Ace
                          I can only recall 2 of his 5 essentials for victory

"He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight."
                          "He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared."
                          302's lead the way!

Comment

The best chance we have of destroying hive ships (if the dedalus survives which i think it does) would be to come out of hyperspace near to lone hive ships and attack them when they are least expecting it. If we can catch them off guard then we may be able to take qwuite a few hive ships out further on in series 2 and the following series

Comment

Originally posted by geb
                              (if the dedalus survives which i think it does)
                              It does. And not to be mean but it's spelled Daedalus. You were close.
                              302's lead the way!

Comment

Working...
                              X