This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis: Transporter size

Does anyone know how big the transporters are? They look as though they just about fit two people comfortably but nothing compared to the SGC elevators.

I was wondering because I've read a lot of fanfiction lately (when don't I ) where the transporters have been used by Med teams to transport injured people from other parts of the city to the infirmary. It made me wonder whether there is even enough space in a transporter to actually fit a stretcher/gurney and a medical person all at once.

They are like a medium sized closet, I think they could fit, at least three people comfortably, however, yes they are nothing compared to the size of the SGC elevators.

Owen Macri

Comment

I think that they're called 'transporter closets', so they can't be too big. I'm sure someone can come up with a screenshot...
      JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
      VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
      MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
      LANDRY
      : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
      Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
      Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
      Mmm... Green...

Comment

I don't know if they are actually called that, but they are about that size, check out the episode, "Hide and Seek," they have some pretty good pictures in that one.

Owen Macri

Comment

I was kind of thinking more along the lines of "Telephone booth sized" but that may be too small. The way they show the closet in the episode is somewhat mis-leading, because you really don't get a full idea of how deep it is. But i guess the amount of junk in the closet also gives you an idea of big it is. And if you did remove all the junk in the closet before using it as a teleporter, you probably could fit quite a bit more in there then you originally would if the junk stayed in the closet.

Comment

No, a telephone booth would be too small, the transsporter is a bit deeper and also extends out sideways.

Owen Macri

Comment

Checking out the Hide and Seek screencaps I found this pic

Which makes me think my impression that the transporters were small was heavily influenced by the straight on shots of people in them which don't give any feeling for depth. It's obviously not as large as an elevator but it doesn't look tiny either.

Comment

Knowing the ancients it was probally just a quick way of getting from place to place. If they had to move anyone in an emergency or had to move something big they would use Asgard-like transporters which were probally just as quick to access.
                Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

You could probably fit a streatcher in there, I think.
                  JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                  VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                  MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                  LANDRY
                  : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                  Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                  Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                  Mmm... Green...

Comment

Originally posted by starfish
                    Checking out the Hide and Seek screencaps I found this pic

Which makes me think my impression that the transporters were small was heavily influenced by the straight on shots of people in them which don't give any feeling for depth. It's obviously not as large as an elevator but it doesn't look tiny either.
                    Yes, so it is like a medium sized walk-in closet. There is a good amount of room in there for what they would use it for.

Owen Macri

Comment

Its weird because the first transporter they walk into is like a small room, but the one in the picture shown is quite small. Didnt the boxes move from the first transporter to the second with the boy? Which would indicate that it doesnt have to appear in the actual booth. ARRGH im going to have to go back and watch it again.

Comment

I think the transporters look about the same size.

Owen Macri

Comment

One way to answer this question is to get a good look at one of the teleport closets while on a set tour during the SG-Cons in Vancouver.

Comment

Lol, that would be good, if I could afford it, lol. I want to go...

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                            X