Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fans of the show aren't going to like me.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fans of the show aren't going to like me.

Hello,

I'm sure other people have made threads like this before, but I wasn't there to read them so you're likely gonna be hearing the same thing yet again. I was a HUGE fan of the original Stargate movie. I jumped for joy when I heard that they were doing a series on Showtime a few years ago. And although I've gotten to like the series now (I own the first 2 boxed seasons), I still can't get out of my head the idea that the creators of the show didn't really watch the movie in any depth before making SG1.

Exhibit A:Throughout the series, they refer to all the planets they travel to, even Abydos, as being 'within our own galaxy'. In the movie, Abydos was a million light years away in a galaxy on the other side of the universe. "A million light years from home" was one of the big publicity phrases to make the movie popular. It was even on the hieroglyphics on the cover stone.

Exhibit B: This one's brief. We saw the alien inhabiting Ra twice in the movie. He looked nothing like a snake.

Exhibit C: The alien took Ra to begin with because it was dying. It saw humans as an organism simple enough for it's technology to repair (he said so to Daniel), and came up with the idea of 'possessing' one to be able to repair itself, meaning in the movie it was never originally a parasite...it was a regular alien who had thought up an ingenious loophole to give itself immortality. The reason Ra was immortal is because he had a human body, which was the only thing the sarcophagus could keep alive forever. In the series, it's the opposite. The sarcophagus keeps the body immortal, but it's the *parasite* that really keeps the body healthy and gives 250+ years of life. Yet the Unas creature, that had no sarcophagus in Thors Hammer, was seemingly immortal. So in the series, the humans were the inferior choice...NOT the solutions to the aliens' death problems that they originally had in the movie. They already found that with the Unas.

Now I love the series don't get me wrong. I just thing it would have been better if it were a little more similar to the original movie. There were few novels that were published not too long after the movie came out. I read the first one in 1996. Persoanlly, I think the series would have been better if originally based on the books, where Ra was the only alien, and the other bad guys were humans that Ra had elevated to status. Then afterwards the series could branch out to other planets from there. The novel version of Hathor was FAR better than the character they made up for the series, or even that of Apohis for an original villain. Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Nephilim

Oh, and all the 'ancient' cultures on the other planets seem to be able to speak English perfectly. English isn't that old.

Baiscally all thoose changes had to be done so it would work efectively as a TV show we all know about them. And of course we don't hate or sidlike you for having an opinion. Especially a comepltely reasoanble and justifilby one like that.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

T.v. production is a lot more stressful than film.

e.g. all the deadlines

Probably this accounts for some changes

Comment

I concur with the previous posters. The changes had to be made to make it easier for the producers. Moreover, I personally think that the film would not have made a good series as it was. With the changes made it has been lengthened greatly, whereas were it the same basis as the film I imagine it would have been somewhat short. But that's just my opinion of course.

Thinking of some of the ideas in the film this one sticks out the most:
        Had the producers stayed faithful to the film, I'm guessing that a lot of time would be spent looking for the coordinates to dial the team that goes through the gate back home. Like Abydos, its unlikely that they're just lying around nearby.

Although.....I reckon another film could have come out of it.
        "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

Hehe thanks for the input so quickly. All I wanted was other people's opinions to set my mind at ease on the thing. I'm hoping Atlantis turns out to be a good series. I remember seeing a few episodes of that cartoon spin off. Not sure what to make of it though.

Neph

Comment

Welcome Nephilim!
            As long as you never state your opinions as "fact", and follow the Forum Rules,there's no way that "Fans of the Show" will end up attacking you,as there's room for everyone here!

Enjoy!
            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Crazedwraith is RIGHT!!! It's all done to make the series better, and I don't mind...some of your complains, like snakes, are explained in Children Of Gods (101)...so there is not much to worrie about...

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie
                Crazedwraith is RIGHT!!!
                Wow!!! I don't hear that often!
                sigpic
                Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
                  Wow!!! I don't hear that often!
                  Crazedwraith is WRONG!! There, does that help ya feel better?

As a general comment, if you're expecting a show to be exactly like the movie that spawned it, then you are always going to be disappointed. I can't think of an example of ANY show that was exactly like its movie. To the best of my knowledge, there are always changes. Some are due to copyright issues, some are do to practicality, some are due to budgeting, and some are just so that the show's creators can make the show uniquely THEIRS instead of it being a miniturized vision of the movie.

That being said, there were some things in the movie (and particularly in the books) that I wish had been carried through into the series, but I still think the series has done a pretty good job (until recently) of making itself its own great little gem while still staying true to the original spirit of the movie. Or at least, the spirit of TPTB's interpretation of the movie.

Comment

Really, it's like Shadow said -- it's how the producers interpreted the movie. I would have done some things differently, if I was in charge, but hey, it's just for fun!
                    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                    Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                    Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                    Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                    Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                    Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                    Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Another departure from the movie I felt the TV show made was the idea that several ancient pantheons were impersonated by the enemy aliens.

I really do think the movie story played on the concept that the alien presence on Earth created/inspired the civilization of Ancient Egypt, and only Egypt. No aliens named Cronus or Baal or Morgan or Svarog. Just the Egyptian civilization— one of the advanced societies that existed so far back in the eons of the past.

However, the TV show's story arc couldn't survive on the idea that the only hostile aliens impersonating gods would have been limited solely to the Egyptian pantheon. So, they muddied the thing up a bit, which only created confusion when we see a Chinese Emperor/god flying around in a spaceship that looks like a Egyptian pyramid.

Comment

well you can't really blame the shows creators for some of those things. i think the exact words used when it comes to exhibit A was that Abydos (when they first opened the gate) was on the far side of the known universe. being at the far side of the known universe and being at the end of the universe are 2 different things. the fact that Abydos is the closest or even the second closest depending on the episode with Ernest Littlefield (i think htat was his name) makes the Universe bigger than we though since the other planets are further away.

when it comes to Exhibit C. in the episode Seth, Jacob said that as long as the Goauld changed hosts every 200 or so years, Seth could have lived on earth since the 10,000 years the gate was buried without a sarc so it is the sarc that keep the human body alive and young for thousands of years unlike the symbiotes who keep a body alive for about 200 but the body still ages, the body still ages and dies but the sarc stops that and not the Goauld so the series is sticking to the movie with that but since Ra wasn't a Goauld and didn't have healing powers (in the movie), the sarc still did the same things, stopped aging and death

when it comes to Thors Hammer, i am pretty sure that it says that the Unas hybernate which is why it was still alive. with the 200+ years a Goauld give and the unknown amount of time they Una can hybernate it is possible that a gou'uld could live for longer than 200 years without a new host. they would be better because hybernating means they can go without food (unlike human hosts) but with humans and the sarcs, 10,000 years or longer is a lot better so human hosts would be better

sigpic

Comment

Wait...I think there is Baal...and there is Thor which is represented by Asgurad...so as far as I know Thor is not Egyption god. There are prolly more...it's just there is not enough time for all the gods to show up. And again think...the gate on earth was barried by Egiptians...so all the gods after that had a little chance of being and alien enemy....

Comment

Baal, Nurrti, Shiva, Olokon, Morrigan, Yu, Cronos, Mott, Svarog, Pelops, and Egeria. All these are deities who are not Egyptian.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael
                              Baal, Nurrti, Shiva, Olokon, Morrigan, Yu, Cronos, Mott, Svarog, Pelops, and Egeria. All these are deities who are not Egyptian.
                              And Kali and Marduk and then a couple others who haven't been introduced yet.

Why stick to one pantheon? The bigger the playground, the bigger the fights.

Comment

Working...
                              X