This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Galactica US Theme

I heard the Galactica is going to have a new US theme song for season two. Mainly because more fans preferred the UK theme.
    I think I heard it during Last night's rerun of The Hand Of God. and it sounded pretty good.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.pegasusgalaxy.com/forums/...showtopic=1273
    Last edited by NowIWillDestroyAbydos; 05 July 2005, 07:26 PM.
    sigpic

Sounds like a Dream I had where they were going to mix the 2

Comment

I find the theme aired in the U.S. to be a much bolder statement... especially the drums.

Apparently, it was TOO different for most folks. I recall seeing a lot of Farscape and Trek fans whine about the drum mustic for combat scenes etc. on other fandom sites... of course, I was a Trek fan who DESPISED the song entrace to ST:Enterprise.
      Last edited by Darth Buddha; 11 June 2005, 10:35 AM.

Comment

When I first watched the BSG miniseries I found the drums to be a little distracting - not to mention they gave me a bit of a headache at times.

I really love them now. I think they're different and fit the intense, on-the-run style of the show.

Listening to the US and UK openings - I like both. Probably a little partial to the US opening as I like the haunting instrumental in the beginning. But I also like the vocal chanting. Maybe the show will end up like B5 and they'll change the theme every year.

It's funny - I was watching the end of BSG last night and really focusing on the music in the final scenes of the show. They had a similar chanting theme going on during the scene where Apollo returns from his successful mission and it was very effective.

If BSG releases an album I'd actually consider getting it. That would be a first for me to buy music from a TV show.
        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

BSG has already released TWO albums!

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
            BSG has already released TWO albums!
            One up to now
            amazon

One in about a week, unless you was one of the lucky ones to get the signed copy

Comment

I just got both CDs in the mail from La-La Land Records. Was too late for the autographed one, but got them both just the same. There's a link in this folder to order them.
              sigpic

Comment

I figured somebody would pipe up if BSG had already released an album.

Thanks Bladerunner - I see S1 is being released on June 21. I think that interests me more than the miniseries. I'll check it out.

Comment

The mini series music is excellent, get it anyway, well worth it. It's the first soundtrack of any show or movie that I've bought

Comment

Originally posted by Bladerunner
                    The mini series music is excellent, get it anyway, well worth it. It's the first soundtrack of any show or movie that I've bought
                    You talked me into it. I'm easy. And I get a better deal if I order both at once.

Comment

It make the hair stand up on the back of your neck when you first hear the drums

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
                        I find the theme aired in the U.S. to be a much bolder statement... especially the drums.
                        I agree.

The show has a militaristic theme as one of its many themes, and I think the US intro (with the drums throughout and then more pronounced at the end) somewhat goes along with that major theme of the show and does create a different intensity. Course I always loved the intro to JAG with the trumpets, etc. And the drums blend nicely with the soulful clarinet (right and not an oboe?) played in the US one.

I prefer the US version. Yeah I know I’m biased cause I’ve heard it all season, but the UK one, though a pleasure to listen to as well, conveys a different mood/tone for the show, imo, even though were both watching the same show. Not quite sure how to put it regarding the UK version, but like DB said the drums make a bolder statement in the US one.

Originally posted by keshou
                        If BSG releases an album I'd actually consider getting it. That would be a first for me to buy music from a TV show.
                        Where have you been? There was a whole thread dedicated to the release of the S1 music. I preordered both and got them this past Tues. Haven’t listened to all of the mini-series one yet, but the S1 is excellent. Yeah, I’ve never bought a TV series soundtrack before either, and it’s been a very long time since I’ve bought my last movie soundtrack even though there are several I’d like to have.
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                          I agree.

The show has a militaristic theme as one of its many themes, and I think the US intro (with the drums throughout and then more pronounced at the end) somewhat goes along with that major theme of the show and does create a different intensity. Course I always loved the intro to JAG with the trumpets, etc. And the drums blend nicely with the soulful clarinet (right and not an oboe?) played in the US one.

I prefer the US version. Yeah I know I’m biased cause I’ve heard it all season, but the UK one, though a pleasure to listen to as well, conveys a different mood/tone for the show, imo, even though were both watching the same show. Not quite sure how to put it regarding the UK version, but like DB said the drums make a bolder statement in the US one.
                          I agree. When I heard the UK version it just didn't have the same feel to me. Not quite as dark and eerie and frantic as the US version. I really hope they don't change it for S2.
                          sigpic

Comment

I personally can't stand the US theme, and I enjoy the UK version enough to tolerate it. But for the show to be as good as it is, it is an utter shame that it doesn't have a strong melodic introduction. I know Ron Moore thinks the same way, and that's why I'm really hoping this new theme is on it's way.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                              The show has a militaristic theme as one of its many themes, and I think the US intro (with the drums throughout and then more pronounced at the end) somewhat goes along with that major theme of the show and does create a different intensity. And the drums blend nicely with the soulful clarinet (right and not an oboe?) played in the US one.
                              I think it's a clarinet but might be an English horn. Don't think it's an oboe. But at times it doesn't even sound like a reed instrument at all.

Originally posted by LS
                              I've listened to the two themes several times now. I have to say I alsol prefer the US one. I don't dislike the UK version but I agree that the US version seems to fit the tone of the series a little better.

I didn't realize until I started looking around last night that Bear McCreary did the US intro whereas the UK version was Richard Gibbs original work. In fact I didn't know Mr. McCreary really took over responsibility for scoring the series while Gibbs did most of the work for the miniseries.

Originally posted by Lonestar
                              Where have you been? There was a whole thread dedicated to the release of the S1 music.
                              Uh, working? Out to lunch? Ignoring whole threads?

The minute I wrote that I knew I should have looked around - so as not to appear woefully uninformed - but took the lazy approach of letting ya'll jump in and tell me.

Originally posted by LS
                              I preordered both and got them this past Tues. Haven’t listened to all of the mini-series one yet, but the S1 is excellent. Yeah, I’ve never bought a TV series soundtrack before either, and it’s been a very long time since I’ve bought my last movie soundtrack even though there are several I’d like to have.
                              You already got S1? Thought it wasn't released until June 21? I placed my order last night so we'll see when I get it. I've really pciked up on the music as I've watched the reruns of the episodes. The celtic themes, the chanting vocals, the mixture of synthesized music and acoustic instruments.

Originally posted by KatG
                              I agree. When I heard the UK version it just didn't have the same feel to me. Not quite as dark and eerie and frantic as the US version. I really hope they don't change it for S2.
                              I hope they don't either.

Originally posted by David
                              I personally can't stand the US theme, and I enjoy the UK version enough to tolerate it. But for the show to be as good as it is, it is an utter shame that it doesn't have a strong melodic introduction. I know Ron Moore thinks the same way, and that's why I'm really hoping this new theme is on it's way.
                              I don't get to say this often to David so I'm going to enjoy it.

*I totally disagree.*

I feel it's a very haunting and evocative introduction. I would be disappointed to see BSG get a melodic theme a la SG-1 or Atlantis. It works for those series but wouldn't fit BSG. I must write Ron Moore and set him straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X