Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SPOILER -- Comments on advance review copies?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPOILER -- Comments on advance review copies?

Sorry in advance if I missed someone else's post on this.

I'm just curious if anyone else has seen the packaging for the two-part season openers of Atlantis and SG-1. I work at a place that receives advance copies of TV shows for review, and the packaging for the DVDs was a very cool plexiglass case with a space in it containing some sort of bluish goo to simulate water.

Anyhow, if anyone else has seen these, I'm curious as to whether there were bar codes on the DVDs and if 99% of the CG in the episodes either wasn't done or was in wireframe on what you saw.

Perhaps this is a two-tier approach to prevent these from being distributed outside of reviewers?

(BIG SPOILERS below for the Stargate Atlantis premiere, "Rising" ...)

Regardless of that, Atlantis looks very promising in spite of killing off Robert Patrick.
    Last edited by Beagle; 11 June 2004, 09:49 PM. Reason: fix typo

Thou Shalt Remember Spoiler Space!

Have not seen it. Did you get a chance to watch the premiere?
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Terribly sorry, I wasn't quite sure what spoiler space meant in the sticky thread note at the top, so my bad. Yes, I watched all four episodes tonight, although there wasn't a "To be continued" break in them, so it was more like a really long episode of each.

If anyone is interested I can answer any questions they might have, including some of the effects. It's interesting to watch the characters react to things that are CGI'ed in later, and even better are scenes that are totally unrendered and all you have on screen is a short description of what the effect is.

Comment

My only question is... In your opinion, which 2 hour opening was better, S8 of SG1 or the Series Premiere of Atlantis?
        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

S
          P
          O
          I
          L
          E
          R
          What will happen to Sam? Is she going to dream anything from O'Neill when Fifth torture her? Or from Pete?
          Very good German Stargate SG-1 & Atlantis Fanpage with all Information, Lexicon, Episodeguide, most current News and a great design: www.Stargate-Project.com

Comment

Interesting that the press is receiving episodes without the finished effects, etc. I don't think it's that uncommon, I've heard other members of the press mention that they reviewed episodes of shows without the final effects or final music score. Guess you've got to use your imagination.

I am curious to know a few more details on your general reaction (no big spoilers) to both the SG-1 season 8 premiere and the Atlantis premiere.

What was your overall impression of the action, the character development (in Atlantis, specifically), the plots, etc. Were the plots formulaic or did they have some original elements? Did Jack O'Neill appear very much in New Order 1 and 2?

What did you think of the new villains in New Order? And how about the wraith in Atlantis? Cheesy or scary??

Which characters in Atlantis interested you the most?

Thanks!
            Last edited by keshou; 12 June 2004, 05:58 AM.
            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I'll try not to spoil anything in this part, but I'm not that sure what is known for sure and what isn't in general. Overall, I like Atlantis' premiere better just because there were new characters, new sets and new locations.

SG-1, New Order 1&2 -- It's consistent. The production quality and acting from the main characters and even some of the side characters is all top-notch like we've come to expect, even if some are missing (like Janet). I don't remember seeing a new enemy outside of the species they've already encountered, although there are a couple of new faces. Jack is largely missing in part 1, but is there for all of part 2, plenty of time to deliver some memorable lines. It felt somewhat formulaic, but then that's hard to avoid. The crisis/problem-solving/resolution formula works again, but it's the plot twists and unexpected characters that make it interesting, even if the problem-solving seems a bit too easy when it ties up a couple of loose ends from previous seasons.

Atlantis, Rising 1&2 -- Again production quality is superb, the sets are very nice (think Frank Lloyd Wright meets advanced technology) and if the visual effects live up to what the wireframes look like, they will be amazing. As for characters, Sheppard looks very promising, even if the character is patterned after O'Neill right down to the humorous quips that keep the show from taking itself too seriously. The other characters look good as well, although only Weir had about as much screen time as Sheppard. Although she is somewhat like Gen. Hammond, I think her serious, I'm-in-charge side won't be all we ever see. The wraith are done well, with good makeup and hints at their background, so no cheese there.

Spoiler below about Fifth and Carter:
              Sam dreams about Pete when Fifth is in her mind, although it's more of a forced vision than a dream.

Comment

I think the unfinished effects thing is pretty common. I know I saw an "unfinished" version of the X-Files ep "Home" which, in lieu of FX, had cards saying things like, "insert picture of really ugly baby" and things like that. The sound wasn't finished, either, which made it very interesting to see how a filmed ep differed from an aired ep.

Comment

Can you tell us about the Asgard as well as about the Ancient's Outpost ... how much are they involved?
                  thanks

Comment

Big spoilers
                    The Asgard return and are central to the off-world thread. They've been busy trying to rebuild their civilization and eradicate the Replicators (not to mention naming ships after SG-1). The Ancient Outpost doesn't really figure into the thread except as a destination for trying to contact the Asgard.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
                      Atlantis, Rising 1&2 -- Again production quality is superb, the sets are very nice (think Frank Lloyd Wright meets advanced technology) and if the visual effects live up to what the wireframes look like, they will be amazing. As for characters, Sheppard looks very promising, even if the character is patterned after O'Neill right down to the humorous quips that keep the show from taking itself too seriously. The other characters look good as well, although only Weir had about as much screen time as Sheppard. Although she is somewhat like Gen. Hammond, I think her serious, I'm-in-charge side won't be all we ever see. The wraith are done well, with good makeup and hints at their background, so no cheese there.
                      Thanks for your thoughts, I find all this encouraging! I think the budget for the two-hour Atlantis premiere was about 5 million so I assume the special effects *will* be amazing. I have really been looking forward to seeing the Atlantis sets, particularly the city, so good to hear of Frank Lloyd Wright's influence (nothing wrong with stealing from a classic)

Sheppard being a clone of O'Neill is no surprise I guess. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully all the Atlantis characters will find their own voice and won't be constantly reminding us of SG-1.

One more spoilery question about New Order 2....
                      *......any more human replicators show up besides Fifth? And Fifth shows Carter a vision with Pete in it but no Jack vision? That's going to disappoint a few people.
                      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

For that $5 million they got more than a few stock shots such as the Kawoosh that I'm sure we'll see more than once.
                        Another spoiler answer:
                        Only one other human replicator is shown. And no, no Jack in Carter's induced vision, just Pete and his chin.
                        Last edited by Beagle; 12 June 2004, 10:31 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

What about Yu and his first prime? Is Yu still very sick, is he dying?

Comment

Moderate spoilerage
                            Yu is still being helped around by his first prime, but the other system lords haven't noticed. Yu does show that his mind is about gone during one scene with two other system lords, so his days may be numbered. Also, there's a great line from Daniel to Dr. Weir when he gives her background about Yu.

Comment

Thanks Beagle for everything you have said, it makes me want to watch the show even more
                              Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Working...
                              X