PDA

View Full Version : SPOILER -- Comments on advance review copies?

Beagle
June 11th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Sorry in advance if I missed someone else's post on this.

I'm just curious if anyone else has seen the packaging for the two-part season openers of Atlantis and SG-1. I work at a place that receives advance copies of TV shows for review, and the packaging for the DVDs was a very cool plexiglass case with a space in it containing some sort of bluish goo to simulate water.

Anyhow, if anyone else has seen these, I'm curious as to whether there were bar codes on the DVDs and if 99% of the CG in the episodes either wasn't done or was in wireframe on what you saw.

Perhaps this is a two-tier approach to prevent these from being distributed outside of reviewers?

(BIG SPOILERS below for the Stargate Atlantis premiere, "Rising" ...)

Regardless of that, Atlantis looks very promising in spite of killing off Robert Patrick.

Darren
June 11th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Thou Shalt Remember Spoiler Space!

Have not seen it. Did you get a chance to watch the premiere?

Beagle
June 11th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Terribly sorry, I wasn't quite sure what spoiler space meant in the sticky thread note at the top, so my bad. Yes, I watched all four episodes tonight, although there wasn't a "To be continued" break in them, so it was more like a really long episode of each.

If anyone is interested I can answer any questions they might have, including some of the effects. It's interesting to watch the characters react to things that are CGI'ed in later, and even better are scenes that are totally unrendered and all you have on screen is a short description of what the effect is.

Elwe Singollo
June 11th, 2004, 11:51 PM
My only question is... In your opinion, which 2 hour opening was better, S8 of SG1 or the Series Premiere of Atlantis?

Thor
June 12th, 2004, 05:22 AM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
What will happen to Sam? Is she going to dream anything from O'Neill when Fifth torture her? Or from Pete?

keshou
June 12th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Interesting that the press is receiving episodes without the finished effects, etc. I don't think it's that uncommon, I've heard other members of the press mention that they reviewed episodes of shows without the final effects or final music score. Guess you've got to use your imagination. ;)

I am curious to know a few more details on your general reaction (no big spoilers) to both the SG-1 season 8 premiere and the Atlantis premiere.

What was your overall impression of the action, the character development (in Atlantis, specifically), the plots, etc. Were the plots formulaic or did they have some original elements? Did Jack O'Neill appear very much in New Order 1 and 2?

What did you think of the new villains in New Order? And how about the wraith in Atlantis? Cheesy or scary??

Which characters in Atlantis interested you the most?

Thanks!

Beagle
June 12th, 2004, 07:51 AM
I'll try not to spoil anything in this part, but I'm not that sure what is known for sure and what isn't in general. Overall, I like Atlantis' premiere better just because there were new characters, new sets and new locations.

SG-1, New Order 1&2 -- It's consistent. The production quality and acting from the main characters and even some of the side characters is all top-notch like we've come to expect, even if some are missing (like Janet). I don't remember seeing a new enemy outside of the species they've already encountered, although there are a couple of new faces. Jack is largely missing in part 1, but is there for all of part 2, plenty of time to deliver some memorable lines. It felt somewhat formulaic, but then that's hard to avoid. The crisis/problem-solving/resolution formula works again, but it's the plot twists and unexpected characters that make it interesting, even if the problem-solving seems a bit too easy when it ties up a couple of loose ends from previous seasons.

Atlantis, Rising 1&2 -- Again production quality is superb, the sets are very nice (think Frank Lloyd Wright meets advanced technology) and if the visual effects live up to what the wireframes look like, they will be amazing. As for characters, Sheppard looks very promising, even if the character is patterned after O'Neill right down to the humorous quips that keep the show from taking itself too seriously. The other characters look good as well, although only Weir had about as much screen time as Sheppard. Although she is somewhat like Gen. Hammond, I think her serious, I'm-in-charge side won't be all we ever see. The wraith are done well, with good makeup and hints at their background, so no cheese there.

Spoiler below about Fifth and Carter:
Sam dreams about Pete when Fifth is in her mind, although it's more of a forced vision than a dream.

ShadowMaat
June 12th, 2004, 07:58 AM
I think the unfinished effects thing is pretty common. I know I saw an "unfinished" version of the X-Files ep "Home" which, in lieu of FX, had cards saying things like, "insert picture of really ugly baby" and things like that. ;) The sound wasn't finished, either, which made it very interesting to see how a filmed ep differed from an aired ep.

tfalls1
June 12th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Can you tell us about the Asgard as well as about the Ancient's Outpost ... how much are they involved?
thanks

Beagle
June 12th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Big spoilers
The Asgard return and are central to the off-world thread. They've been busy trying to rebuild their civilization and eradicate the Replicators (not to mention naming ships after SG-1). The Ancient Outpost doesn't really figure into the thread except as a destination for trying to contact the Asgard.

keshou
June 12th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Atlantis, Rising 1&2 -- Again production quality is superb, the sets are very nice (think Frank Lloyd Wright meets advanced technology) and if the visual effects live up to what the wireframes look like, they will be amazing. As for characters, Sheppard looks very promising, even if the character is patterned after O'Neill right down to the humorous quips that keep the show from taking itself too seriously. The other characters look good as well, although only Weir had about as much screen time as Sheppard. Although she is somewhat like Gen. Hammond, I think her serious, I'm-in-charge side won't be all we ever see. The wraith are done well, with good makeup and hints at their background, so no cheese there.

Thanks for your thoughts, I find all this encouraging! I think the budget for the two-hour Atlantis premiere was about 5 million so I assume the special effects *will* be amazing. I have really been looking forward to seeing the Atlantis sets, particularly the city, so good to hear of Frank Lloyd Wright's influence (nothing wrong with stealing from a classic)

Sheppard being a clone of O'Neill is no surprise I guess. We'll see how that goes. Hopefully all the Atlantis characters will find their own voice and won't be constantly reminding us of SG-1. ;)

One more spoilery question about New Order 2....
*......any more human replicators show up besides Fifth? And Fifth shows Carter a vision with Pete in it but no Jack vision? That's going to disappoint a few people.

Beagle
June 12th, 2004, 10:18 AM
For that $5 million they got more than a few stock shots such as the Kawoosh that I'm sure we'll see more than once.
Another spoiler answer:
Only one other human replicator is shown. And no, no Jack in Carter's induced vision, just Pete and his chin. :rolleyes:

shockwave
June 12th, 2004, 11:13 AM
What about Yu and his first prime? Is Yu still very sick, is he dying?

Beagle
June 12th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Moderate spoilerage
Yu is still being helped around by his first prime, but the other system lords haven't noticed. Yu does show that his mind is about gone during one scene with two other system lords, so his days may be numbered. Also, there's a great line from Daniel to Dr. Weir when he gives her background about Yu.

Elwe Singollo
June 12th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Thanks Beagle for everything you have said, it makes me want to watch the show even more :)

Thor
June 12th, 2004, 12:55 PM
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

How is the scene (if there is this scene) when the Wraith goes up to Sumner and he says "go to hell", and the wraiths responds "earth first"?
How is the music in there, any feelings to report?
Will the asgard finally kill all damn replicators? What about Camulus, will he die in New Order?
Questions after questions :P
Did you receive my PM? Any chance for video-clips or images not available on gateworld yet?

Beagle
June 12th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks Beagle for everything you have said, it makes me want to watch the show even more :)

Glad to help! I think I'm fulfilling the intent of the preview copies, namely to help generate buzz about the shows, although in this forum I'm likely just preaching to the choir. :D I plan on watching them on TV to see the effects.

I apologize, but I really didn't pay attention to the music, but that's probably a good sign. If I didn't notice it, then the music was probably just right for every scene.

Also, we talked about it at work and decided we'd like to receive future preview episodes so there won't be any effort to get video/images from the preview DVDs, not that we'd be able to anyhow since these DVDs refused to load in a computer, so there must be some pretty good efforts at copy protection on them. Also, the barcodes on them scare us. However, I will try to get a picture of the packaging as it is pretty cool, and likely wouldn't violate any prerelease/copyright by the company.

Spoilers:
Sorry, I was talking about Enterprise's season finale with someone and got it mixed up with these season premieres. Yes, Camulus survives to the end of New Order and requests asylum from the SGC. But, every guest appearance between Stargate and Andromeda lasts about 1-2 episodes, so if I had to guess, I'd say he bites the dust. But death doesn't seem to affect some characters.

The scene with Sumner and the Wraith female is great, and she does deliver the line. The Wraith are telepathic and able to read Sumner's mind about Earth and give him telepathic "pushes" to make him kneel, sort of like in "Dune" with the Bene Geserit.

Ending spoiler, read at own risk:
Fifth survives and escapes in a small ship made of original replicators, although there's a cool surprise at the end on that ship.

Mio
June 12th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Oooh, this sounds sooo cool.....

Positively Kanyon
June 12th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Well I'm glad to hear that Atlantis is looking really good! I've been saying it from the start (and the proof is on this forum) that Atlantis has potential to be excellent.

Beagle
June 12th, 2004, 08:31 PM
I agree, Atlantis shows a lot of promise not just from the characters but also from locations and villains. From the visuals, the city is big enough for the discovery of new technology whenever it's needed to progress the show, and hey, there's always the Stargate where you "can go really far and you don't need a car." I just hope we don't end up with too many technology-saves-the-day episodes given that the Ancients did develop pretty much everything there ever was, although the premise that the Wraith drove out the Ancients might prevent that. The main technology I would like to see at some point is where they're going to get food. I'm picturing them stumbling into a foodcourt at some point. :cool:

Anubis
June 13th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Atlantis sounds great, not to mention the replicators in season eight. I'm even more excited now than ever [needs to clam] :D

tfalls1
June 13th, 2004, 01:20 PM
My big question is will we still get to see Asgard later in the season or is this doom and gloom for them?
thanks!

Thor
June 13th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Well I just got another question.
What about Sheppard and Teyla? Will they kiss each other in "Rising"?

Beagle
June 13th, 2004, 10:39 PM
I'll try to post some pics of the press kit Monday night.

Spoiler answers:
Nope, no kiss between Sheppard and Tayla. Just some sort of bow and forehead touch.

Also, clarification on Teal'c and Carter's trip to contact the Asgard. They head for the location of the Replicator world because they know the Asgard are monitoring that region. I mistakenly thought they went to the abandoned Ancient outpost area where they obtained the ZPG module to power the Earth defense weapon.

The Asgard should be fine after New Order. They obtain a very effective weapon to fight the Replicators, so we should see more of them this season.

June 13th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Good spoilage...tnx a lot...it gave me more interest in both things...tnx A LOT again!!!

One question, Asgurad get a weapon to fight Replicartors....is that going ot be our, human, shutguns...and they're , little ones...gonna run around like Rambo...and shoot the Replicators? Sry...if it's lame...jsut couldn't stop imagening...so funny....*giggls*

Elwe Singollo
June 13th, 2004, 11:06 PM
A question, in Atlantis, does the Doctor have a big role in the premiere?

June 13th, 2004, 11:10 PM
a better question....do all the charater get to develop enought in the pilot of ATL? How is the screen time destributed?

Beagle
June 14th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Screen time from most to least (not scientifically calculated, just from memory):
Sheppard
Weir
McKay
Lt. Ford
Tayla
Beckett
Extras

So, if by Doctor you mean Beckett (since Weir and McKay are also doctors), he doesn't have a ton of screen time, but he does deliver a few funny lines. McKay isn't nearly as annoying as he has been, but he still keeps his edginess.

Spoiler answers:
The anti-replicator weapon starts out as hand-held, but Thor, of course, always thinks bigger and makes a ship-size version. However, O'Neill does wield the hand-held, and as he's blasting bugs (that's the fx note on the screen) yells, "Who's your daddy!" Quite funny. :D

Wass
June 16th, 2004, 06:26 AM
I was just wondering I read some where (can't remember where) that at the end of Lost city part 2 they were going to show Atlantis flying away from earth but decided not to show that scene as they wanted to show it at the start of Atlantis. Did they show Atlantis flying away from earth at the start of Rising. I was hoping they give us background story on the outpost on earth and also the woman from frozen (can’t remember her name).

Beagle
June 16th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Spoiler answer
Yes, Atlantis is seen taking off at the beginning of the episode.

Wass
June 16th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Thanks Beagle do they show the woman from frozen or just atlantis taking off

Beagle
June 16th, 2004, 01:19 PM
It looks like her, but it's hard to tell for sure.

Wass
June 16th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Great i think it's a good idea that they give us a bit of background story

Beckmen
June 17th, 2004, 01:29 AM
Yeah, I read about the Ayianna thing. Sounds cool.

Man, I can't wait. Watching various SG-1 eps on DVD to hold me over!

Wass
June 17th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Well we haven't got long to go just 30 days

keshou
June 17th, 2004, 05:06 AM
I agree, Atlantis shows a lot of promise not just from the characters but also from locations and villains. From the visuals, the city is big enough for the discovery of new technology whenever it's needed to progress the show, and hey, there's always the Stargate where you "can go really far and you don't need a car." I just hope we don't end up with too many technology-saves-the-day episodes given that the Ancients did develop pretty much everything there ever was, although the premise that the Wraith drove out the Ancients might prevent that. The main technology I would like to see at some point is where they're going to get food. I'm picturing them stumbling into a foodcourt at some point. :cool:

I'm interested to see if they deal with the survival aspects of the whole thing since they're effectively trapped in another galaxy. I hope it isn't too easy for them. Still it might be nice if some of the clothes (specifically the tan jackets with the blue and yellow triangles) get shrunk in the Ancient washateria, never to be seen again. :p

Switching gears, one other question about Teal'c. I think we all know he's going to get hair this year -- does he have it in New Order? If so, is there anything in the script that mentions it?

Beagle
June 18th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Teal'c gets hair. The only person to notice is Jack, who tries to ask him about it, but as with the bizarre blonde soul patch, it's left unsaid.

Anubis
June 18th, 2004, 11:56 PM
I think Teal'c will get that 'look' from O'Neill when he wants to say something but he doesn't, the moment isn't correct

Jafana
June 19th, 2004, 12:10 AM
I do so love their non-verbal interactions.
Particularly teal'c and his eyebrow raise thing..

Daniel explains it well in TLC 1.

Daniel: And..Teal'c says to me, well, he didn't actually say anything. He just kinda looked at me and did that eyebrow raise thing that he kinda does and I said to him, I said hey, why don't we stop by and...

Jack: Is that Donuts?

So anyway, back on topic...
does it get explained what the little glowy squid things were? in the ancient's weapon?

Anubis
June 19th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Hehe. Now that is one wonderful part of The Lost City

Beagle
June 19th, 2004, 09:45 AM
They actually show one up close early on, but we don't really learn anything new about them other than the chair controls them.

tfalls1
June 19th, 2004, 09:49 AM
How goes the Rising synopsis? :):)
Thanks again ahead of time!

Anubis
June 19th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the little tidbit Beagle

Apepi
June 19th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Kel shek Anubis,dig the avatar. :eek:

Anubis
June 19th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Kel shak, cre! I have the avatar! Plus plenty of others

keshou
June 19th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Beagle, are you a long-time fan of the show? You're obviously familiar with the show and the characters but I was curious as to whether you're a *devoted* fan or a *casual* fan.

If you've seen the premieres of previous seasons how would you rate New Order 1&2 next to season 7's Fallen/Homecoming or season 6's Redemption 1&2? Likewise how would you compare the quality of the Atlantis premiere Rising to SG-1's Children Of The Gods? In your opinion of course.

Thanks for sticking around and answering questions. It's sure seemed like a long wait this year for July 9th!

Anubis
June 19th, 2004, 10:19 AM
That's quite good suggestion Kes. I want to rate it myself