PDA

View Full Version : Toilets in Atlanis

Col. Newman
June 5th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Yes there is another thread with the exact same subject and title but imo it is in the wrong place and belongs here in Science and Tech

So i think the toilets in Atlantis would use some kind of disintegration tech. In other words the Crap :rolleyes: would just disintegrate

_Owen_
June 5th, 2005, 03:14 PM
I don't think the Atlantis team knows how to use the toilets yet, so they just wear diapers. lol.

No, that is a good idea, they could use the same technology that the gate uses to convert waste into energy but not back again then the energy could either be released into the atmosphere, ocean, or it could be utilised by being fed back into Atlantis. The last explination seems the most plausible and logical.

Owen Macri

Col. Newman
June 5th, 2005, 05:10 PM
It is also possible that Atlantis doesn't have toilets, maybe the Ancients food was so advanced that all of it was absorbed in to the body, hopefully it tasted good too

TechnoWraith
June 5th, 2005, 05:15 PM
So i think the toilets in Atlantis would use some kind of disintegration tech. In other words the Crap :rolleyes: would just disintegrate

That makes the most sense if you ask me. The stuff's gotta go somewhere, so instead of polluting Atlantis and the ocean, just make it disappear. ;)

6thMonolith
June 5th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Send it to the Wraith planet :D

_Owen_
June 5th, 2005, 06:48 PM
That is stupid. No offence I am not calling you stupid, and I know that you were joking, but the concept of piling up waste is an incredibly flawed one. I just wrote an extremly long report for school on why it is an incredibly terrible idea. Even if it is a Wraith planet, which would be funny.

Wraith dudes standing around gate

"Dial it up" Says Wraith 1
Dials gate, fortunalty ours locks first, both wraith walk up to the event horizon thinking that they opended it and then they get a face full off... etc...

Owen Macri

Unamed
June 6th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Maybe the atlantis team brought some portloo's with them or some other portable jacks..... As to disposing of it well i dont know.

iLemon
June 6th, 2005, 04:50 AM
I'm pretty sure Atlantis would have toilets :P

6thMonolith
June 6th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I'm pretty sure Atlantis would have toilets :P

And wouldn't they require the ATA gene? Poor scientists... Always having to ask Rodney to flush the toilet for them...:p

_Owen_
June 6th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Actually in the "beds" thread, a good theory has come up, the waste in your body is transported out and left dematerialized, it can then either be reconverted back into matter in a consturctive form. The energy could be released into the atmosphere, or it could be routed into Atlantis' systems to be utilised properly.

Owen Macri

fair_nymph
June 9th, 2005, 03:46 PM
It is also possible that Atlantis doesn't have toilets, maybe the Ancients food was so advanced that all of it was absorbed in to the body, hopefully it tasted good too
Even if that could be achieved with solid matter, urination would still be necessary, as it is a primary form of waste excretion (waste created by cellular metabolism, etc).

I like the dematerialization/disintegration idea. I mean, couldn't you just zat your pile of crap 3 times? Something along those lines.

Poor scientists... Always having to ask Rodney to flush the toilet for them...
More like, poor Rodney having to ask Sheppard every time (at least till he got the gene therapy). :D

_Owen_
June 9th, 2005, 04:40 PM
lol, watch Rodneys' gene therapy just suddenly stop working while he is... etc.

Ya, basically you could Zat your... excretions three times.

lol.

Owen Macri

TechnoWraith
June 9th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Ya, basically you could Zat your... excretions three times.

lol.

Owen Macri

We've never seen the Zat disintegrate anything, so this sounds like a perfect excuse to try out the Three Shots Rule. ;)

_Owen_
June 9th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Hmm :confused:

Owen Macri

TechnoWraith
June 9th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Zat something three times in a row, and it disintegrates, right?

Well, they've never actaully Zatted something 3 times in a row, so here's an excuse to try it see what happens. ;)

_Owen_
June 9th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Ya, in the episode "1969" (the only one that I can think of) Jack Zats the box with thier future stuff in it three times in a row. It disintegrated/vaporized/dematerialized. lol.

Owen Macri

TechnoWraith
June 9th, 2005, 05:05 PM
They actually zatted something 3 times? Hmmm... I'll have to rewatch that episode. I never remembered them zatting stuff that many times, that's why i said what i said earlier.

_Owen_
June 9th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Ya, you might have just forgotten it, I have forgotten stuff plenty of times. lol.

Owen Macri

Lightsabre
June 9th, 2005, 10:09 PM
They actually zatted something 3 times? Hmmm... I'll have to rewatch that episode. I never remembered them zatting stuff that many times, that's why i said what i said earlier.

Yeah, also in the first ep of s2 I think. WHne they first introduce zats.
the line is something like.
oniell 'One shot hurts, two shots kill, three shot...'
Teal'c 'disintergrates'

akren
June 10th, 2005, 03:13 AM
these are interesting ideas. another use for Human waste : purify the urine & use the water in it for showers/water uses (like in waterworld where he purfies his urine enough 2 turn it into fresh, drinkable water :P ick); it also makes a great sterilizing agent if you need one (granted the sea water about them would probably be better to use.... :P).

The excrument, on the other hand, can be used to fertilize & nourish plants for food consumption (hey, they use cow & chicken crap on farm plants here, so why not Human crap too? :P lol). This could come in particularly handy with the Athosian's on the mainland : think of all that free fertilizer! :D

In terms of getting rid of it, Atlantis' AI programe or whatever you want to call it probably has enough brains to work out how to put the stuff to good use or to dispose of it without adversely harming the environment.

Whether it vapourizes it or whatever I wouldn't really mind (if you had to have an Ancient gene to use the loo I would be in trouble; but seeing as how it seems only complex tech or certain things require the Ancient gene to use, then i dont see going to the loo as one of them!); so long as I could relieve myself! :P lol

In terms of zat's disintergrating stuff, we have seen it @ least once in '1969', but as far as I can recall we have mostly seen zat's been used to stun (primarily) & kill; since the Guuld like using them as pain-inflictors alot (break out the zat's, fire sticks & other assorted torture devices! :D :P muwahaha). :S

Any ideas on how the Ancients has showers & did the basic house-keeping stuff like laundry, etc?

knocknashee
June 10th, 2005, 04:31 AM
In terms of zat's disintergrating stuff, we have seen it @ least once in '1969', but as far as I can recall we have mostly seen zat's been used to stun (primarily) & kill; since the Guuld like using them as pain-inflictors alot (break out the zat's, fire sticks & other assorted torture devices! :D :P muwahaha). :S

Any ideas on how the Ancients has showers & did the basic house-keeping stuff like laundry, etc?

Using a Zat to disintigrate a turd seems awfully extravagant if you ask me...begs the question of what the Jaffa / Goa'uld do really... :p

As to showering...maybe they have sonic showers like in ST, or maybe everytime you use a transporter, it cleans the dirt off you - and your clothes. Same goes for doing the laundry...just stick it in a pile on the floor, close the door and whoosh, clean clothes... ;)

*Highly unlikely...but the idea amused me* :D

_Owen_
June 10th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Actually it isn't higly unlikley it is actually pretty plausible, expecially with the ancients.

Owen Macri

sarge
June 10th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Actually it isn't higly unlikley it is actually pretty plausible, expecially with the ancients.

Owen Macri
sure, they'd just have to make sure the process got rid of just waste... could get ugly if the software messed up...

_Owen_
June 10th, 2005, 03:12 PM
lol, ya.

Owen Macri

knocknashee
June 10th, 2005, 05:51 PM

Owen Macri

Would certainly explain the fact that Sheppard seems to only have one uniform, one long sleeve black top, one black t-shirt and a pair of jeans...while Weir seems to have her entire Earth wardrobe at her disposal...

sure, they'd just have to make sure the process got rid of just waste... could get ugly if the software messed up...

Eeeeeeeeek :eek: Imagine if two people tried a communal cleansing...and got merged... :p

_Owen_
June 10th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Like in the episode of Voyager with Tuvix, except they weren't showering...

Owen Macri

akren
June 10th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Looking on the bright side, if they got really stuck for laundring, showering, etc; they could always go for a swim in the ocean? They are on a water-planet after all. . . :P

As for clothes, they were specifically told they could bring one personal item only. Sheppard brought a tape of grid iron, whereas Weir seems to have brought her entire warbrobe (I guess if you vaccuum pack into a large bag it counts as one item :D lmfao) - speaking of which, do we even kow what her personal item is?

I feel sorry for the Athosians & other low-tech races in the Pegasus Galaxy; to them flushing toilets would look really goo compaired to the whole 'dig a ditch & use it as a latrine' thing (which I have done in Army Cadets before, not pleasant *ick*).

Panther
June 11th, 2005, 02:01 AM
Nah, Atlantis takes care of everything. It can scan your body and get rid of what's inside your bowels. No need to go the toiled ever. What an adjustment, where would one find the time to read?

knocknashee
June 11th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Nah, Atlantis takes care of everything. It can scan your body and get rid of what's inside your bowels. No need to go the toiled ever. What an adjustment, where would one find the time to read?

^funny!

No wonder Shep hasn't got far with War and Peace... :p

_Owen_
June 11th, 2005, 09:55 AM
^funny!

No wonder Shep hasn't got far with War and Peace... :p

I think he hasn't gotten far in "War and Peace" for other reasons. lol. *COUGH*The inability to read!*COUGH COUGH* LOL.

Owen Macri

jonno
June 29th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I think he hasn't gotten far in "War and Peace" for other reasons. lol. *COUGH*The inability to read!*COUGH COUGH* LOL.

Owen Macri

ooh, harsh! - he did pass the Mensa test y'know!!!

Quakerbone
June 29th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Just a little bit of bathroom humor on my little brother's part upon watching a few ep's:

If someone in the SGC ever got bored, they could turn the Gate on its side, dial out to a unfriendly planet, climb up onto the rim, and...well, you get the idea.

Perfect way to dispose of waste, as well as to really piss off someone on the receiving end.

LiquidBlue
June 29th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Just a little bit of bathroom humor on my little brother's part upon watching a few ep's:

If someone in the SGC ever got bored, they could turn the Gate on its side, dial out to a unfriendly planet, climb up onto the rim, and...well, you get the idea.

Perfect way to dispose of waste, as well as to really piss off someone on the receiving end.

That reminds me of a feature of "The Last Continent" by Terry Prachett. The wizards of Unseen University discovered a rift in space in their basement. Being pragmatists, they decided to use it depose of their personal waste. They found this to be effective -- until they discoved the other side in their attic. :o

--

I am inclined towards akren's thought. Even with what Ancient technology would allow them to do, it is far more effiecent and environmently sound (even with nearly limitless clean energy) to recyle the waste.

Col. Newman
July 2nd, 2005, 11:45 AM
That reminds me of a feature of "The Last Continent" by Terry Prachett. The wizards of Unseen University discovered a rift in space in their basement. Being pragmatists, they decided to use it depose of their personal waste. They found this to be effective -- until they discoved the other side in their attic. :o ROFLMAO

_Owen_
July 3rd, 2005, 07:44 PM
That is true, I bet he used his Ancient gene to get the answers, lol, I am joking, he can probably read, I hope. lol

Owen Macri

matjoeman
July 4th, 2005, 02:31 PM
didnt jack zat that guy who married teal'c's wife 3 times in that episode where rai'ac (or whatever) was brainwashed?
I might be getting this mixed up though

_Owen_
July 4th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Yes, I believe he did.

Owen Macri

EnjoyIncubus
July 5th, 2005, 07:07 AM
they never do seem to show this kind of stuff in tv shows do they?

_Owen_
July 5th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I'm sorry, at the risk of sounding llike a brain dead idiot, what kind of "stuff" are you talking about?

Owen Macri

briguy213
July 5th, 2005, 02:03 PM
I think that TPTB just dont want us to see everyone crapping off the balcony.

_Owen_
July 5th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Lol, I am sure the ancient would have a way to dispose of waste, I mean, they are basically human, just further genetically advanced.

Owen Macri