PDA

View Full Version : Will you miss Hammond?

Elwe Singollo
June 10th, 2004, 12:58 AM
I will :(, so sad that he won't be a regular, but i kind of like the idea of him (spoiler) - - - commanding Enterprise, err, i mean Prometheus instead of sitting down in the SGC everyday.

Bagpuss
June 10th, 2004, 03:06 AM
I'll miss him too. Always liked his appearances,and I've a lot of admiration for Don.S.Davis too.*Sigh*

I know the PTB have to make changes, and sometimes actors just want to move on, and do other roles,or other things,but, IMO,Hammond was/is a really lovely guy!

*Off to read some spoilers*(Must have missed reading some! :) )

DanielFan
June 10th, 2004, 03:25 AM
I will miss his sense of humour, and hias patience to put up with Jack! It was funny when Teal'c and him were in the Needle-Threader going off to save SG-1, and he lets out a big "YEEEEEE-HAAAAAWWWWWWW!" That for me is a General Hammond moment.

elhSG1
June 10th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Yes, I'll definately miss General Hammond, he interacted well with all of the characters. When he and Teal'c went through the gate to rescue SG1 is also one of my favorite moments.

Dramaqueen
June 10th, 2004, 05:06 AM
I will miss General Hammond a lot. He is such a great character and was the perfect choice for the SG-Project. I mean he was both, a strong leader for the SGC but at the same time he is a very lovely person and cared about every SG-Team member. And Don S. Davis is an amazing actor, I'll miss him, too. :(

omnian
June 10th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Here are some of my favourite Hammond moments:

Menace- Getting to see him finally wield a gun! I loved him in that ep!

Into The Fire- Him and Teal'c in that cool ship. When he blows that weapon up....ah, classic. Brings a tear to my eye.....

Chain Reaction- The way he'll do anything for his grand-daughters, even give up the job he loves doing.

Broca Divide- Him turning into one of 'The Touched'. I thought it was funny, lol.

1969- Just Hammond in general during that episode.

Any others?

Anubis
June 10th, 2004, 07:08 AM
Of course I'll miss Hammond. He's been a great part of the show for seven years, who wouldn't miss him

MadEyeTed
June 10th, 2004, 07:11 AM
The thing with General Hammond is that it would have been so easy for TPTB to make him a shouting (bombastic was the word Brad Wright used I think) general. This would have been a device to have lots of episodes back on Earth dealing with issues arising from a commanding officer who held them back from exploration. It would have been a fairly obvious attempt to save money when required, and would have spoiled the atmosphere of the SGC. By making him a normal human being, it not only ensures the continued co-operation of the USAF, but also an audience who would turn off if it was just another episode of the angry general. Thats why hes so important. I guess with the NID and Kinsey TPTB still got the opportunity to avoid the gate once in a while, but because its an external factor - it doesnt spill over into the day-to-day workings of the SGC. Hammond rules. Don Davis rules. Hope we see more of him in the future, perhaps he could come and knock Jack down a notch when he lets the power get to his head and screws up ;).

omnian: others? how about "Point of View" alternate Hammond, and "Prophecy" Hammond - both show how he would be in a nightmare situation at SGC. That last shot of him in Jonas' premonition in "Prophecy" is just amazing.

Elwe Singollo
June 10th, 2004, 08:50 AM
*Off to read some spoilers*(Must have missed reading some! :) )I'm not even sure i'm right about that part ;), i am just assuming since the episode 'Prometheus Unbound'' seems to show that Hammond is 'on' the ship working there (i think)... Haha...

nugglebugget
June 10th, 2004, 09:05 AM
One of my fave "Hammond" moments was in "Upgrades" when Jack was in his office,bugging the tarnation out of him to let SG-1 use their "enhanced abilities" to go kick some Goa'uld butt.Ever patient but finally had to beg him to "just get the hell out of my office".He wasn't nasty or anything,just at his wits end.

"Threading the needle" yee-hah bit was priceless.

About the only way I can really sum him up is that if I could choose a "Boss",it'd be him.He knew how to cut slack when neccessary,& when to lower the boom.

tara3583
June 10th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Yes i'll miss him:(

SPOILERS FOR SEASON 8 LATER EPISODES
\\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
I'm really glad that tptb have not just dumped
him and we are going to see him on the ship
again. He has a fantastic commanding presence
about him and i can't wait to see where the
writers will take him now:)

Elwe Singollo
June 10th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Yah, i hope if we do a get a S9, Hammond will be a recurring character, like Jacob and Bra'tac.

elhSG1
June 10th, 2004, 09:24 AM
I loved the look on his face in Window of Opportunity when Jack kissed Sam. Priceless.

Elwe Singollo
June 10th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Yah, i loved that! He was such a butt at the very first episode though, haha, but that was for a good reason.

petzke_42
June 10th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Very much so.

Madeleine
June 10th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Not sure. I missed Daniel. But when my favourite character left Angel last year I was very surprised to not miss her at all. So it could go either way, I'll wait and see.

omnian
June 10th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Ooh, another one! In 'The Serpent's Grasp' when he gave his little speech in front of the Stargate. That was very cool and shows how great his character is!

June 10th, 2004, 08:21 PM
i'll be missing him...he is a part of the family...but galdly he still will be around!!!

bcmilco
June 10th, 2004, 09:16 PM
I was going to say 'yes', but then I just read an article over at Stargate Solutions...

Spoilers for s8
This article contains spoilers for season 8:
Tapping: Changes to Come in S8 (http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/ipw-web/b2/index.php?p=57&c=1)

The relevant paragraph is:

As for General George Hammond, "He's been promoted too, you know. He's now in charge of all things pertaining to Stargates and has a swanky new office in the Pentagon. O'Neill speaks to him every day. General Hammond's presence will be heard if not seen."

So hopefully we shouldn't miss him too much. ;)

Roatbaum
June 10th, 2004, 09:44 PM
[B]He was so formal in the beginning , always in full uniform once he took his coat and tie off he was better though. I loved it when he went through the gate to support, or bring back the team.What a guy. And in Spirits when Tonane called him George, and Jack said 'George?' He had a pretty even temper, but he did look at Jack as if he were an errant child. In Entity (maybe) when they were in the briefing room and Jack kept saying 'so were calling it a probe?' he looked like he wanted to tell him to shut up. He was a presence in the show, but they are gonna replace him with O'Neill and that is pretty cool, right?

Bagpuss
June 11th, 2004, 01:15 AM
I read the same spoiler as BCM, on a visit yesterday, to the "Women Of Stargate" Site. :)
(There's a link to their Site in the "Stargate Fandom" section Threads,btw.)

Elwe Singollo
June 11th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Oh, yay! He'll be in the show, just not 'in' it, well you people know what i mean... Anyway, so Jack will be calling Hammond and not the Pres?

June 11th, 2004, 06:47 PM
oky i have a question...we know why RDA got moved..but why did Hammond move...is it just that they needed his space for RDA or there was another reason?

bcmilco
June 11th, 2004, 07:13 PM
oky i have a question...we know why RDA got moved..but why did Hammond move...is it just that they needed his space for RDA or there was another reason?

DSD has said that he wanted to move on, do 'other things' and I would guess that with him leaving they figured that it would be good to move Jack into his place.

Personally I think it would have been more believable if Jack had been put in command of the Alpha Site, and Gen Hammond would stay in charge of the SGC, at least for now. With Jack NOT being in charge of the whole operation it would make a lot more sense if he does go on a mission from time to time. It would also be a way that he could be gone from entire episodes and it would be explainable.

Sela
June 11th, 2004, 07:45 PM
I love General Hammond. A lot of people think of him as a sideline to SG-1, but I think of him as part of SG-1. After all, he was the one who helped to reform the SGC when it started back up. It was Hammond who worked out the format to the concept of SG teams. He was the solid, stable foundation to the SCG and the Stargate program. Things ran well because he was really good at doing what generals do - run things.

I love Jack, I love Jack to pieces but it was Hammond who kept Jack on an even keel. What's going to happen now that his endless patience that keeps Jack in line is removed? I mean really - Jack signing requisitions? That is wrong on just so many levels...

Jack once said to Hammond, that he didn't know anyone who loved what they did more than Hammond. He was right. I can't see anyone replacing Hammond....not even Jack.

Elwe Singollo
June 11th, 2004, 10:26 PM
I love General Hammond. A lot of people think of him as a sideline to SG-1, but I think of him as part of SG-1..I totally thought and feel the sameway. Although he didn't go out on missions with them, i just felt that he was still part of the team, 'the non go on mission' part of the team, haha... But his character still fought for them, like even when he is denied his own SG teams to go out and save people, he himself, and some help, saved SG1 before, i think that was the season 3 premiere with the end of Hathor i think... Anyway, yes, i'll miss him:(

Kelso
June 11th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Hammond is very cool, and yes he was vital to the development and operation of the SGC... but I think that makes it all the more plausible for him to be promoted to DC to run all of our off-world activities. Hammond would be the ideal man to watch over the SGC and BC-303/F-302 operations, deal with the new civilian government agency, act as advisor to the president/ Joint Chiefs, and coordinate efforts with foreign allies (both on and off-world). Hopefully, we will get a taste of the scope of his new position in Season Eight.

Having said that... Jack is now the ideal man to run the SGC.

Anubis
June 12th, 2004, 01:51 AM
I think all in all, Hammond has always been a team memebr but not a kind that has actually gone onto the lines. We have seen him off-world a couple of times but not actually doing much

Elwe Singollo
June 12th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Yah, the only time i can remember him doing something off-world is.. the one i said in my post about Hammond saving SG1 and some other teams from Hathor's men (although Hather was already dead)... Hmm... What else...

June 12th, 2004, 12:50 PM
well i'll admit...i thought of him as a sideman....but i always apretiated him...but now i see him as a sg1 member...a family!!!

ps. i remember going him off world in one of S2 first eps...where sg1 gets put in prison for helping a runaway...so he goes there...and trys to nagotiate

Anubis
June 13th, 2004, 01:07 AM
I remember Hammond went offworld on a mission where they tested the X-301 or X-302. I can never remember which one

shinyredpants
June 13th, 2004, 07:04 AM
its all about him going YEEEEHAAAWW!!!

i love it when he's called hammond of texas

oh..ohh and when jack goes "i dont think so BUCKO" to hammond then pats his head...

Elwe Singollo
June 13th, 2004, 08:58 AM
its all about him going YEEEEHAAAWW!!!

i love it when he's called hammond of texas

oh..ohh and when jack goes "i dont think so BUCKO" to hammond then pats his head...I totally loved all those parts, those parts especially made me laugh, even the 'yeeehawww' part, haha.. I think its so halrious how Bra'tac always touches his head and says hammond of texas, like you said... :D

Kliggins
June 13th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Most definitely YES! He will always be a part of the Stargate family, however. :( Besides Don Davis being a wonderful actor (think Twin Peaks and Scully's dad), he is such a solid presence, kind of like if he is there everything will be okay. Must be that midwest thing or something. How wonderful that he will be back for one episode and hopefully a few more.

dfin25
June 13th, 2004, 11:38 AM
My favorite Hammond moment is when Apophis's ships were orbiting Earth and the Naquadah enhanced nuclear missles had just failed to bring them down, he told that coward that evacuation was for the best and brightest and when the time came he would be issued a weapon and give his life protecting the mountain.

June 13th, 2004, 10:05 PM
i love how Jakc sometimes makes fun of him...in some ep...someone talks to hammond "..., master", jack-"we call him general", hammond-"go do somthing jack",jack-"yes...master" !!! lol, yeah i love how Bra'tac calls him

sshspooky
June 18th, 2004, 03:25 PM
While I will miss Hammond, it will be good to see him guest star, and I think this is a good way to shake up the new series. jack was the only possible replacement really when you look at all the other failed replacements. jack understands the job, and while I'm sure it will take some adjusting time, to me this seems like the first sign that perhaps SG1 could continue with the main cast members gradually changing.

Anubis
June 18th, 2004, 11:52 PM
I agree. I think if any character leaves, their appearance as a guest adds a little touch to that episode. Such as when Daniel left and appeared two or three times I remember in season six

Elwe Singollo
June 18th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Yah, it makes the episode all special if a former cast member returns, even for one episode. And plus, its nice to see an old face after not seeing that person in a while.

Anubis
June 19th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Right on. It's great to see the previous cast after not appearing . . . for a while

Elwe Singollo
June 19th, 2004, 10:55 AM
At first i thought you just said 'its great not to see previous cast', i was like... ook... haha...

Anubis
June 19th, 2004, 10:57 AM
And now I'm like okay!

Elwe Singollo
June 19th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Hammond, ooo, so he'll be living a 'star trek' kind of life living on the Prometheus? Or does he live on Earth, but goes on the Prometheus when they leave Earth... We'll have to wait :) But i can't wait for the episode, well, i can't wait for all the episodes, haha..

PYRO
June 19th, 2004, 02:50 PM
I wonder if Jack will say: ''You have a go.''

attennis
June 19th, 2004, 03:00 PM
I admire his acting skills and will miss him sooo much! I prefer to look on the bright side of things so: I hope O'Neill will be able to be a decent general...

Elwe Singollo
June 19th, 2004, 03:19 PM
It was funny in the Commentaries on how they comment on John S. Davis (i think thats his name) how he is happy to say all his lines right, although his acting skillz are really good.

bcmilco
June 19th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Don S. Davis is the name you're looking for. ;)

JMallozzi
June 19th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Watch for General Hammond to make appearances in both SG-1 and Atlantis.

Sam & Jack Shipper
June 19th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Hey Joe!
Welcome back. It is nice to hear from you again.

And to stay on topic, it is great to know that General Hammond will still be around.

Elwe Singollo
June 19th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Don S. Davis is the name you're looking for. ;)There we are :) I knew 'John' sounded fishy... Haha.. Thanks!

Anubis
June 20th, 2004, 12:12 AM
I always think Don Davis sounds strange, but Don S Davis sounds better!

ana
June 20th, 2004, 09:44 AM

This is good to know. I want Jack to become a General, but I´m General Hammond´s fan as well.:)

stargate barbie
June 20th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Yes i will definitely miss Hammond. I love Don S. Davis.

excellent

taupecat
June 20th, 2004, 07:01 PM

Okay, the SG-1 I knew about, but the Atlantis confuses me since.....

* is this a spoiler?

The Atlantis crew wasn't going to have contact with Earth the first year and as far as I knew, only Jack & Daniel were appearing in the first ep (some legal thing about the fact that those characters were in the movie, but none of the other SG-1 regulars were).

As an aside, welcome back, Joe. It's cool to know that TPTB are at least listening to the chatter of us fans. :)

bcmilco
June 20th, 2004, 07:05 PM
*[spoiler space Atlantis s1 "Home"]

The Atlantis crew wasn't going to have contact with Earth the first year and as far as I knew, only Jack & Daniel were appearing in the first ep (some legal thing about the fact that those characters were in the movie, but none of the other SG-1 regulars were).

My guess is that DSD will be guesting in the episode called "Home" where the A-team seems to find a way home. Whether they actually get home this season remains to be seen ;)

majorsal
June 20th, 2004, 07:17 PM

Cool! :D

So, Joe, now that you're here, what do you think of the new forum? All the pretty lights and toys to play with. :p

Sally :D

June 20th, 2004, 08:16 PM
well scense he will be in both , SG1 and ATL, I so ain't gonna miss him ;)

ps. haven't , yet, heard anything about him being in ATl tho

prion
June 21st, 2004, 09:01 AM
Yup, will miss him. Hammond was an anchor for the team and the base. While I'm sure Jack will be okay in command, he doesn't seem to have the common sense not to act like an idiot (sorry) at times, and I don't think that will reflect well on his command. I just can't see a general and the commander of a base going 'd'oh' in reply to a question....

But yes, will miss Hammond, and I hope the writers can squeeze Don S Davis into some guest shots on the show, like they did with Michael Shanks in season six.

Elwe Singollo
June 21st, 2004, 09:12 AM
I think Jack is smarter than he is, but yes, i wonder how he is going to answer some questions, or understand how Hammond did. Luckily, if you've been reading 'spoilers' or the upcoming episodes for S8, Hammond will return :)

ana
June 23rd, 2004, 05:17 PM
It is really nice to see that you guys from TPTB care enough to share comments with us, poor and simple mortals.

Ana :)

Elwe Singollo
June 23rd, 2004, 07:52 PM
I noe huh! :)

Torley
June 23rd, 2004, 10:58 PM
"Don Davis" is also the name of the composer of such films as The Matrix. Good guy.

It's nice to know Hammond isn't *totally* disappearing... I sooo enjoy his presence.